Shimano PD-M737 Older Pedals

4.26/5 (19 Reviews)

Shimano PD-M737

Submitted by pascal

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2013

Strengths:    still have the original box that came with...still have it on my third bike since. never been disassembled, still work as new. for 189.95 CA at that time, all i can say its my better buy for my lifetime

Weaknesses:    well, the weight.. can save the same grams with a little less water in my camelback

Bottom Line:
best buy for a lifetime

Submitted by EricH a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: November 8, 2012

Strengths:    Bombproof. Ultra durable and reliable. Good platform for foot support/pedaling feel. Ultra-consistent and positive enrty and exit.

Weaknesses:    Heavy with stock spindle. Ti spindlessolve that problem but are getting hard to find now that they are Over 20 Years Old.

Bottom Line:
I've been riding 737's since March 1992. It is now November 2012.Every one of my bikes has these. I have used the for casual riding, Norba National XC expert racing, Norba NCS dowhill racing, National cycloross championships, commuting, and now just riding my bikes mostly in the woods for fun. 20 years on, and they still work great.

The biggest complaint is the weight, as i mentioned above, some aftermarket ti spindles fix that up, if you can find them. Real heavy mud can clog them up, but servicing them is a breeze. Take the axle assembly out, clean inside the pedal body, fill with good grease, like Phil waterproof. re-install the axle assembly and the new grease self-purges itself through the bearings. Wipe off, then ride them for another 5 years.

Again on the weight - the new do everything pedal is the PD-M540. a pair is 166g lighter than the 737. That's about how much a Blackberry weighs, so split that between two feet. If that is causing you a problem riding, perhaps other sports beckon, or you should just put the freakin' gram scale away.

Who should use these: Anyone who wants control, durability, reliability and consistency from their clipless pedals, and gets that the gramscale sickness is way overhyped.

Who shold not: weight weenies, cyclocrossers in mud, XC racers on dry fast smooth courses.

Favorite Trail:   1101 in Steamboat Spgs CO

Duration Product Used:   over twenty years.

Purchased At:   shop, eBay

Bike Setup:   All around XC - light, strong - not cheap. Merlin XLM, FAT Chance Wicked Lite, Bontrager Race and Ti-Lite, Croll SS, Fisher Procaliber, Fisher CR-7, FAT Chance Team Comp, Ted Wojcik Custom FS and DS, Fuji 'Cross, I could go on. I got one of the first sets of Rock Shox RS-1 forks in New England back in 1991, when they were still made by Dia-Compe. I've riden and raced all over the country in all sorts of conditions, save the PacNW. Those guys are nuts.

Notice the bikes I have had were all some of the very lightest and highest level race bikes of their time - and I used (still do) the "heavy" PD-M737 original SPD mtb clipless pedals on every one of them because they work and provide a good stable pedaling and balance platform.

Submitted by Carlos Herrera a Racer from Acworth, GA

Date Reviewed: January 26, 2011

Strengths:    Bombproof!

Weaknesses:    None that I am aware of

Bottom Line:
In 2001 I wrote a review on these pedals. These are still on the same bike ten years later lending service as a single speed, still going strong!

Favorite Trail:   Sope Creek

Similar Products Used:   Pretty much the whole Shimano spd line

Bike Setup:   Raleigh hardtail, now a single speed

Submitted by Jay a Cross Country Rider from Oak Park, California, USA

Date Reviewed: November 20, 2007

Strengths:    They still rock!

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
I've had these pedals on my bike that I have ridden hard and regular for 15 years. The pedals just keep on going. I have a new bike on the way and have been looking at the reviews of the new SPD pedals so that my bike is 100% new. There is all this talk of broken spindles, broken springs, feet popping out under load, springs getting weak as time goes on - - - all the while my 737s just keep on going. I'm getting more and more sure that my 737s will be going on my new bike!

Favorite Trail:   Cheseboro Palo Commado

Similar Products Used:   Look on road bike

Bike Setup:   Klein Rascal, mostly XTR, with a new Klein Palomino on the way

Submitted by Holger a Cross Country Rider from Germany

Date Reviewed: January 4, 2007

Strengths:    unbreakable, no need for special maintenance

Weaknesses:    not very good in heavy mud

Bottom Line:
Interesting to see people still writing reviews on a pedal system from the last century ....
I really like this pedal system. It is easy to use and it looks like that "we" still have some more years in front of us ...

Purchased At:   1992 or 1993

Similar Products Used:   nothing - since my 737's are still working :-)

Bike Setup:   GT Karakoram Elite (92); XT; Mag21

Submitted by Rob a Cross Country Rider from Sydney, Australia

Date Reviewed: December 15, 2006

Strengths:    Last forever

Weaknesses:    bit heavy but hey! Not good in mud

Bottom Line:
I bought these in 1990 and 16 years later they are still my main and favorite pedal. I have had them on about 6 MTB's, 2 or 3 road bikes and they are still going strong. Overhauled them about a decade ago haven't touched them since. I want them to last forever, until I stop riding when I am 60 or something. I admit I rarely ride them in the wet and when they get caked in mud and sand they aren't great but I don't think many pedals are.
I'm sentimental about them too.
I have to give them 5/5, any product that lasts 16 years of regular riding has to be good.

Purchased At:   USA

Submitted by pierre bourgon a Cross Country Rider from cornwall, ON, Canada

Date Reviewed: November 27, 2005

Strengths:    very durable. easy to get in and out of and they will not let go of the clete on the up-stroke.

Weaknesses:    heavy

Bottom Line:
these pedals rule

Favorite Trail:   everywhere

Purchased At:   Rhodes

Similar Products Used:   other SPD pedals, however they are not as easy to get in and out of as these and they will not let go of the clete on the up-stroke.

Bike Setup:   1991 NISHIKI ARIAL all XT components. 1996 UNUVEGA 505 Deore LX components

Submitted by Sid Dunn a Cross Country Rider from Stockbridge, GA USA

Date Reviewed: December 29, 2004

Strengths:    Durable and OK untill.........

Weaknesses:    Plastic resin whatever crossthreads very easily into pedal body

Bottom Line:
what pedal do I try next? Or do I try to find plastic parts, which I have had no luck

Purchased At:   local shop

Similar Products Used:   First MTB pedal setup

Bike Setup:   Klunker Schwinn frame from 80's, XT hubs, Sun Tour front, XT rear changers, Ritchey Vantage rims (originals) DT spokes. Otherwise 27 lbs of heavy workout that has seen many mountain passes.

Submitted by B Turner a Cross Country Rider from Yakima, WA, USA

Date Reviewed: August 9, 2002

Strengths:    Bombproof!! Solid construction and ease of entry/exit

Weaknesses:    Weight, hard to clean

Bottom Line:
I'm feeling a bit nostalgic tonight since I just bought a pair of these on eBay to replace my original pair which were stolen in '97. Got totally ripped off... The guy promised me a pair of BRAND new 737s and sure enough the ones I receive look like they've had a grinder taken to them. The bearings are totally SHOT too - with enough play to slide a quarter between the spindle and the pedal body. Nevertheless, I LOVE these pedals - I was born and raised on these things and the entry/exit is the easiest I've ever experienced. I'm currently riding on Speedplay Frogs and after a few weeks of riding I still find myself looking down to make sure I'm lining my foot up right to enter. Never had to do that with the 737s! A bit on the heavy side, but hey, they're from the early 90's!

Purchased At:   Local Shop

Similar Products Used:   Shimano PD-M747, Speedplay Frog

Bike Setup:   1992 Trek 9500, Full XTR - first generation M900 series!!

Submitted by jonathan mitchell from somerville, ma

Date Reviewed: February 26, 2002

Strengths:    Back in the day, they had lots.
Currently: nostalgia.

Weaknesses:    Everybody knows they suck in mud and are heavy

Bottom Line:
Just wanted to say that despite what one reviewer said, in my opinion these pedals have the best bearing seal ever!!
Two years in slop, snow and muck and the grease inside was brand new looking. Bright neon green grease!! No contamination whatsoever.

Similar Products Used:   other shimano's, speedplay magnums and frogs.

Submitted by Mads Meldgaard a Racer from Aarhus, Denmark

Date Reviewed: February 4, 2002

Strengths:    Build to last, very precise click-in in the dry

Weaknesses:    Heavy (approx. 550 gr. or more than a pound)
Forget about them in mud

Bottom Line:
I had these pedals for 6 years, putting about 10000 of forrest km summer/winter on them with no signs of wear (a slight bit of play in one axel) - getting quit nostalgic writting about them!

The weigt and mud issues is not up to date anymore. 2 chillies for function + 1 chilli for durability.

Similar Products Used:   Time Attack

Submitted by Carlos Herrera a Weekend Warrior from Atlanta,Ga

Date Reviewed: October 19, 2001

Strengths:    Bulletproof, last forever, reliable, Shimano stuff, Install-ride-forget.

Weaknesses:    Weight, mud collectors.

Bottom Line:
I have been checking for replacement pedals, Shimano preferable, have heard bad reviews about 858's, so far there is no match for my good old 737's. Probably they will die in my arms (my feet)

Favorite Trail:   Sope Creek

Purchased At:   Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   I've been riding since '95, believe or not these have been my pedals all this time.

Bike Setup:   Raleigh Hard Tail, XT everything 2000/2001 except pedals

Submitted by Tosh a Cross Country Rider from Toronto, ON

Date Reviewed: June 7, 2001

Strengths:    Last forever, reliable, indestructible

Weaknesses:    Heavy, big, ugly but it's so old I guess that's to be
expected. plus it gets filled up with mud

Bottom Line:
I love these pedals cuz i've had em for five years
and i've never greased them or taken the time
to clean it; I keep meaning to but I never do cuz
of school etc. In dry conditions the pedals
work very well but when it gets muddy these
pedals are horrible. I can barely clip in. Despite that
i have to give it five chillis because they've been with
me for so long. If you can buy em used though I would suggest you rather pay some more and get some 858's or somethin.