Shimano PD-M323 Older Pedals

4.16/5 (31 Reviews)

Shimano PD-M323

Submitted by YR a Weekend Warrior from Israel

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2001

Strengths:    Easy out, platform for going around the block and for those
super-scarry downhills. Learning curve for beginers (like I am) is super-fast. Platform side once you are totaly stuffed in mud.

Weaknesses:    Not so easy to get in. Tend to popout when bunny hopping
(even with tight setting)

Bottom Line:
I bought these for the following reasons:
1. An entry level SPD
2. For using the platform side when going around the block
or when carrying my 4 years old daughter.
3. Revies here were very positive.

My LBS guy told me not to get them since "you go SPD or not". He was right, I never used them on the platform side
(with the excetion of when mud did me in).
I felt very safe on them even when taking my child with me.
On the other hand having a one sided SPD meant it takes
some time to get in and I ended up always looking to see
which side I am trying to mount. I put one of the supplied
reflectors to make one side heavier so the SPD side will always face the rear of the bike - it helpd a bit but I still have problem mounting which I found had to do with the shoe tread hitting the platform when I push dow to rotate the pedal to horizontal positoin for mounting. It almost always took several retrys to get in. I recently changed to Nashbar which are great.

Purchased At:   Go Sport (France)

Similar Products Used:   Nashbar, Ritchy

Bike Setup:   2K Giant Warp DS2

Submitted by Stampertje Wijngaarden a Weekend Warrior from Amsterdam, The Netherlands

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2001

Strengths:    Flexibility - cleated one side, platform the other

Weaknesses:    Screws come loose, loose grip on cleat

Bottom Line:
This is a great concept for commuter or all-round bikes: the flexibility of platforms and the performance of cleats.
Get them if you don't want to be clipped in all the time.

I only have two minor gripes with these pedals:
1) the screws holding the cleat plate to the pedal keep coming loose. I've finally locked them down with locktite and that seems to work. I lost one of the screws, but Shimano sent me replacements, no charge.
2) even with the screws bonded down, there is some engagement click when you pull on the pedals. I find this slightly uncomfortable.

Two more points: I believe I saw a "platform" somewhere that could be clipped on to any spd pedal. Anybody else heard of these? And: not only do Spokes in Wheaton rip you off, their service is crap. Avoid this place.

Purchased At:   Spokes, Wheaton, Illinois

Similar Products Used:   Look style pedals

Submitted by Martin from Ohio

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2000

Weaknesses:    Ok I dont know if I did not set these up right or what but almost everytime I try to bunnie hop I clip out. I don't know if its the pedals the shoes or what. Since speed and bunnie hopping where the reasons I got the pedals its really pissing me off. If you have any advise about what I should do e-mail me at allmjm@aol.com
So far my toe clips where more reliable

Bottom Line:
I'm guessing I just set them up wrong but till I stop cliping out there not that great for the trail but good for road.

Purchased At:   pricepoint.com

Similar Products Used:   toe clips

Bike Setup:   GT rebound with 323 pedals

Submitted by Brandon a Downhiller from Covina

Date Reviewed: May 23, 2000

Strengths:    Easy to use, platform side

Weaknesses:    Mud tends to stick

Bottom Line:
These were the first SPD pedals I have ever used. I scored them on a deal online and wanted to use them until I got comfortable with clipless pedals, which I figured would be about a month. I liked that they are SPD on one side and platform on the other. Well its been over a year and I'm still using them with no problems. Now using clipless pedals is second nature and I'm sticking to the 323s until they break to upgrade. They're a great starter pedal that gives you room to grow.

Favorite Trail:   Rocket Ridge

Bike Setup:   FSR, Marzocchi Z4, Race Face System Stem, Azonic PDW risers, LX drivetrain, Shimano 323s, Specialized Body Geometry Saddle, Michelin Wiidgrippers.

Submitted by g-man a Cross-Country Rider from w.islip, ny

Date Reviewed: August 9, 1999

Bottom Line:
I used to have 545's but found on longer cross country rides my bad knee would get uncomfortable. The 323 pedals allow me to take a break and ride in a different foot postion on the platform side. I also like to ride the platforms on scary downhils and new trails... Most of the time I stay clipped in and enjoy the flexibility the 323's give me.

stillwell

6 months

545's

Submitted by Kyron a Weekend Warrior from Pacifica Ca

Date Reviewed: July 19, 1999

Strengths:
First these are not my first spd's!!! I have them on an old Stumpjumper that has been retro-fitted for city and parenting dutys with a big basket in frnt and a Rhode Gear Limo baby seat on back. These ped's work great I dont have to put my goofy-lookin shoes to go to the park with Jr. and chillin at the beach is much better in sandells anyhow.

Weaknesses:
The only weakness with these ped's is you if your weak enough to make sissy excuess's

Bottom Line:
They rule!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

more than 3 years

I have friends who have these on their trail / woods bikes and they love em'. I have 636's on my real bike

Submitted by Bob Grabowski a Cross-Country Rider from Queens, NY

Date Reviewed: June 7, 1999

Strengths:
Easy entry/exit
Full sized platform side

Weaknesses:
Difficult to use with clips and straps

Bottom Line:
I'm new to clipless and these are the first clipless pedals that I've tried, so they are difficult to rate. I bought them so that I could continue to ride with platform and/or toe clips and straps while trying out clipless. I've had no problems adjusting to these pedals. Clipless entry and exit are easy with Shimano's S cleat, and the availability of a full platform is reassuring. Using the platform side with straps and clips, however, is very difficult since the pedals are extremely hard to flip over to enter the clips.

3 months

Cannondale F-600

Submitted by G a cross-country rider from Washington

Date Reviewed: August 6, 1998

Bottom Line:

These were my first clipless peddles. I bought these thinking they'd be great to learn on, considering most people seem to have had a hard time getting used to em'. Unfortunitly, I hopped on, and could ride just fine. It's been 6 months now and I STILL havent had a fall created by not clipping out or whatever.
So now I have these OK peddles that have to be flipped over all the time to get clipped in. I've also lost a screw, they squeak even after a good lubing, and get a little rusty.
But if your not nicly intune with your body, or you motor skills are just a little mushy, I would say there pretty good.

Submitted by Remco Hannink a cross-country rider from Soest The Netherlands

Date Reviewed: June 30, 1998

Bottom Line:

These are my first pair of clipless pedals, and I think they are great. On difficult courses or steep hills I can get out of the SPD's. They are great to learn how to ride clipless.... After riding a few time with the pedals, they are quit easy to get in. Just push the pedal a little bit to the fromt and slide your shoe in. Riding the normal pedalside, you have to flip the pedal, this I found a bit more difficult....

Submitted by bill a cross-country rider from NJ

Date Reviewed: June 1, 1998

Bottom Line:

these are good learner pedals if u want to use clipless. but once you reach the point that you have to be clipped in all the time these pedals suck. they are a reall pain in the ass to lock into in technical areas, i am always looking down to make sure they are on the right side to clip in, these pedals will always have the non clip side pointing up so you have to spin it with your foot to get on the right side. so if you are already a clipless pedal guy do not get pedals. but if you want to learn these are ok.

Submitted by Aviva from USA

Date Reviewed: May 23, 1998

Bottom Line:

I am a 54 year old woman whose been a Road biker for 2 years when I got these pedels. Had road bike clipless before. These are great. Sometimes take one food out of pedel when on steep hill, getting on or getting off my bike. They give me lots of flexability.

Submitted by Rob Hyde a weekend warrior from Bowie, MD

Date Reviewed: May 16, 1998

Bottom Line:

These pedals are a great buy. The spd/regular pedal is a great convienence for thos who like to ride trail and also go for a casual ride to the store. I have used them on several trails in MD and FL (Markham Park rules!) and have no complaints!! The price is a big bonus, usually they can be found for less then $50.00.

Submitted by micronaut from earth

Date Reviewed: May 9, 1998

Bottom Line:

These are the best pedals I've ever used. Their simple dual purpose design is extremely effective. It's great to have a choice between street and spd shoes. It allows you to be much more spontaneous with your bike. Since I've gotten these pedals I've been riding my bike a lot more - doing trials and screwing around in parking lots, etc. On more technical or unfamiliar terrain it's also nice to be able to use the cage. My pedals have a lot of float when I'm clipped in, which I like. They are very easy to get in and out of. Mine always hang the same way, and clipping in became second nature after only a few rides. I can clip into my 323's a lot faster and easier than my Ritchey spds. I haven't had the problem of loose or lost screws that some people have reported in their reviews. You can buy lighter pedals, but so what? I haven't noticed the weight difference and the elegance of design and the quality of the pedals far outweigh the extra grams. The price is nice too. Buy these pedals, you won't regret it. Great job Shimano!

Submitted by derek a cross-country rider from houston,texas

Date Reviewed: March 19, 1998

Bottom Line:

The best pedals on the market. It's nice to be able to wear street shoes
when I ride in unfamilar trails. I would recommened them to any one.Ther is one little downfall to them (this is not a prefect world????)
Locktite the screws when you frist buy them or have the bike shop you buy them from do it.

Submitted by Rohan Chaffey a weekend warrior

Date Reviewed: November 29, 1997

Bottom Line:

This came with my 95 Britsh Eagal Shodow(bloody nice bike by the way) Ran smmoth, didnt bend/break or fall apart after 2 YEARS!!!!!. I rode the bike for around 1-2 hours a day in the summer and when there was light. Oh also i never serviced them once. Just amazing.