Ritchey Logic Pro Mountain Older Pedals

Weight : 330 g MSRP : $80.00

Ritchey Logic Pro Mountain 330g

Submitted by Tony a Weekend Warrior from Earth

Date Reviewed: December 29, 2002

Strengths:    See review

Weaknesses:    entry and exit

Bottom Line:
I've used alot of Ritchey products in the past and they've performed admirably. But I gotta say, these pedals plain suck. You have to put about 8 million pounds of pressure to enter these pedals, even at the lowest "-" setting. And there's practically no float, despite the manufacturer's claim. One bad review may be an exception. Two, you start to go "hmmm". Three, now there's a trend. Look at the # of crap reviews for this pedal. I say that's more than a trend. I hate to give this pedal a terrible review - like I said, I usually love Ritchey components - but I call em' like I see 'em: these things suck ass. I guess when you compare these to my last pedals (the venerable 747's, the best ever and now that I've gotten the 959's), they're gonna suck.

Similar Products Used:   Shimano 747's (the best ever)

Bike Setup:   Yeti A.R.C.

Submitted by Christian Zimm a Cross Country Rider from Denmark

Date Reviewed: October 15, 2002

Strengths:    A bit light, najs design looks great, invert clip out "normal for all spd" and its a good product for xc riding

Bottom Line:
The clamp is at start way too tight belive me the first ride i was on nearly launched me down in the dirt! But hey thats my mistake for not checking the stuff before riding -
DO your self a favor and lossen the clamp, and these babys will work a long time with very little maitnens!

I'm gonna give this product 4 chillis for Value because of the low price / strong and a bit lightweight construction.
And 3 Chillis overall because out there, there is bound too be a product that has every Strengths and is still light

Similar Products Used:   CODA - Bontracer - Shimano

Bike Setup:   C-dale F1000 - leafty, XTR, Continential Explorer Pro

Submitted by WhitingGuy a Cross Country Rider from Lake Forest,CA

Date Reviewed: September 23, 2002

Strengths:    Light Weight, open frame design

Weaknesses:    small platform

Bottom Line:
I found the following on Ritchey's web site, it might explain the whining on this board:
2003 and newer: Ritchey and Shimano pedals will share the same cleats. 2002 and older: The Ritchey pedals are designed to run with Ritchey cleats. The Shimano cleats will clip in but will not perform properly. Your ingress and egress performance will be hampered.

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Wellgo,shimano,weyless

Bike Setup:   GT i-Drive

Submitted by Vernon Nunes a Cross Country Rider from Middletown, CT USA

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2002

Strengths:    none

Weaknesses:    Difficult entry and exit, unintentional exit

Bottom Line:
These are the worse pedals I have ever used, and frankly Tom Ritchey should be embarrased he puts his name on them. Entry and exit are difficult even when clean and freshly lubed, and becomes near impossible once the pedal gets dirty. Mud riding? Don't even bother. Did Thomas Frischknecht really use these things? I find it hard to believe. I used the Logic comps before these and they worked O.K so I tried these. Big mistake. Dangerous is the one word that sums up these pedals.

Similar Products Used:   Ritchey logic comp

Bike Setup:   Trek Fuel

Submitted by John a Cross Country Rider from wpg, MB, Canada

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2002

Strengths:    Good price.

Weaknesses:    Only regarding what they are not designed for.

Bottom Line:
I think these are a fine first set of clipless pedals. The price is right, and if you stay out of the mud they seem to perform very well.

Initially the entry/release screw is set WAY to tight, avoid my mistake and loosed it before your first clip in. You can tighten it later to better suit you.

I found getting in and out to be pretty easy with these pedals, I picked them up with some SIDI bullets at MEC. Once in a while a drop of oil on the springs keeps everything smooth.

Ultimately I choose them over some Shimano 515s based on more float in the ritcheys.

J

Purchased At:   50

Bike Setup:   Commuter bike

Submitted by yetibuster a Cross Country Rider from germany

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2002

Strengths:    good funktion when clean, lightweight

Weaknesses:    when dirty, nothing moves, nothing goes in!
SUXX extremly!!!

Bottom Line:
I would not buy them again. It's very frustrating not beeing able to continue pedaling because of a little dirt.
Take Shimanos or better: Egg Beaters. I' using those and they rock!

Purchased At:   germany

Similar Products Used:   Shimano 585, new Shimano Pedal '02 (don't know the name), Ritchey Logik (a bit better), CODA, Crank Brothers Egg-Beater

Bike Setup:   G-Zero

Submitted by Dustin Hampton a Cross Country Rider from Yucaipa

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2002

Strengths:    Take a beating adjustments hold lightweight

Weaknesses:    Paint chips a little squeeky at times

Bottom Line:
Good pedal if you are havin problems then you arent using these pedals right any spd type pedal with get stuck with mud duh. These are cross country pedals they work great for what the where designed remember that. And if they are hard to get in and out of then adjust them I beet these pedals i hit rocks and take drops they just keep going even after a very hard hit on a rock they keep working just as i had them set before i started the ride sorry but the first thing if you cant get them to work is realize what kind of riding you are doing

Favorite Trail:   All

Purchased At:   Yucaipa Bike Center

Similar Products Used:   Wellgo clone

Bike Setup:   fxt with all the goodies

Submitted by Kevin a Racer from Chicago

Date Reviewed: May 5, 2002

Strengths:    decent weight
price
shoe compatability options

Weaknesses:    sucks in mud
hard to get in and out of

Bottom Line:
I respect Tom Ritchey and I've used his other stuff on and offroad with great success so I bought these. But I finished a race today and the biggest problem I had was the mud and getting in and out of these pedals on dismounts. There were several areas backed up on the course where I had to run my bike up hill to get around people. I either couldn't get out or get back in when I remounted. I felt this was a hinderance to my performance (self-improvement of course not withstanding). I've always used SPD and rode these with no problems with epic trail use, which I think they are good for but not racing. I'm getting Times.

Similar Products Used:   shimano 858 and spd clones

Bike Setup:   gt xizang, xtr, ck

Submitted by Danna Brown from Greenville, SC

Date Reviewed: March 11, 2002

Strengths:    Blue matches my SID

Weaknesses:    Every other feature

Bottom Line:
These pedals could not suck much worse. I used the gold Ritcheys for years & loved them. Wore out two sets. But I CANNOT GET OUT OF THESE PEDALS!!! Getting in is pretty tough too, but at least that doesn't usually cause me bodily injury. Ritchey should be ashamed. Did anybody test this crap before they marketed it?
I'm SO happy to read all these other reviews, my husband keeps saying I'm just too lame to clip out properly. And yes, I have shaved away shoe and put them on the loosest setting. I have used Ritcheys since I first got clipless almost 10 years ago, but I'm about to switch brands.

Similar Products Used:   Ritchey WCS (the Ti ones in gold)

Bike Setup:   Litespeed Obed, SID, XTR, Race Face Cranks, TI bottom bracket, Nuke Proof Carbon Hubs, 21.5 pounds (really)

Submitted by Robert Kaylor a Cross Country Rider from Austin, TX U.S.A.

Date Reviewed: February 15, 2002

Strengths:    I like the durability, the looks, and ease of use.

Weaknesses:    They fell apart after time...Maybe my fault, as I did not ever take proper care of them

Bottom Line:
As a beginner when I purchased them, I thought they were good, and they did get the job done, now better products have come out. I would not recommend them.

Favorite Trail:   Rocky Hill Ranch

Purchased At:   Discovery Cycles

Similar Products Used:   shimano 858's

Bike Setup:   CADD3 frameset, All XTR except front derailleur is XT, Mavic x217's, Hutchinson Pythons, Race face stem and bars, Chris King headset

Submitted by Ken a Racer from Jacksonville, Florida, USA

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2002

Strengths:    Looks and Brand Name

Weaknesses:    Hard to clip in and out. Introduce them to dirt and forget it you will not be able to clip into them at all.

Bottom Line:
Do not buy these pedals they do suck!!!! I am going to try the new Egg Beaters.

Purchased At:   Colorado Cyclist

Similar Products Used:   Shimano MP747

Bike Setup:   Litespeed Unicoi, XTR, Crossride, other Ritchey stuff that work great.

Submitted by Will a Cross Country Rider from San Francisco, CA

Date Reviewed: November 28, 2001

Strengths:    Clips in and out pretty well. Stiff.

Weaknesses:    Creaks after been through a few hours of riding and sometimes it gets so bad that you feel it through your legs, not good. I have the Cro-Moly axel after testing out the Ti axel pair and found only slight weight difference but Ti does not rust like Cro-Mo. Ritcheys are last decades technology.

Bottom Line:
Don't buy it if you could afford better. I'm moving onto Time ATAC carbon since i've been outrun by my friend who swears by them. I've seen mud literally pour out the sides as he clips in. I'm stuck using my fingers to clear out the pedal of mud and often wiping my lousy cleats. The worse part is that the pedals creak and rust, i don't expect a long lifespan on these. However, for standard dusty singletrack and fireroads, it'll be great. Just lube your bearings every so often, something I believe you shouldn't have to do until the next major overhaul of your bike.

Purchased At:   Bike swap in Sausilito

Similar Products Used:   Shimano 535, 747. K2 Clipless. First pair of Ritchey Logics in Red. Retail price is overrated.

Bike Setup:   Gary Fish Procaliber Carbon. All XT, XTR crank, monkeylite, Bontrager, XTR wheel etc...

Submitted by Mark a Cross Country Rider from Durango

Date Reviewed: September 18, 2001

Strengths:    nice color.....

Weaknesses:    Can't get in, can't get out

Bottom Line:
These pedals suck. I have to turn my foot a full 90 degrees to get out of them on any tension setting. It's almost impossible to get into them if you have any dirt on your shoes at all..... I got some CODA's for cheap, and they perform better after 1000m of trails (slick rock and slick mud) this year than the ritcheys did out of the box. If you want to survive a semi-technical ride, don't use these pedals.

Similar Products Used:   CODA's

Bike Setup:   Squishy Yeti

Submitted by Nick Fenton a Cross Country Rider from Clinton Connecticut

Date Reviewed: July 11, 2001

Strengths:    um...you can throw them pretty far, maybe you'll hit someone.

Weaknesses:    Bearings shattered in less then 1 week! (i weigh 140 pounds)Springs fell out, bad cleat tolerances(mine was too large!) Shoe contacted pedal body causing scary release problems! paint came off, when the bearings shattered the pedal stopped moving and messed up me knee

Bottom Line:
these break! and ritchey said it was my faul! I weigh 140 pounds and was riding a road bike!!!!! I swapped the pedals to my road bike so i wouldnt have to buy new shoes and BANG! they stop moving! JEEZE! but these pedals and go throw them at soemthing!

Favorite Trail:   Any one with rocks