Ritchey Logic Pedals Older Pedals

3.32/5 (242 Reviews)

Ritchey Pedals Logic

Submitted by valiant1974 a Cross Country Rider from Nebraska

Date Reviewed: January 10, 2011

Strengths:    They're clipless

Weaknesses:    Where should I begin? Difficult to get into. Too easy to get out of. I've had issues with disengagement when trying to jump or go over logs. I had an adjustment screw fall out during a ride never to be found again. The cleats are terrible.

Bottom Line:
Avoid these pedals at all cost.

Favorite Trail:   Bigley's Ravine-Ponca State Park

Purchased At:   Bike Nashbar

Similar Products Used:   Time ATAC

Bike Setup:   2009 Cannondale F29 2
2008 Cannondale Rush 5 SZ
2000 Cannondale F2000 SL

Submitted by Tom a Cross Country Rider from Waterloo, IA, USA

Date Reviewed: October 6, 2003

Strengths:    Precise engagements
Double spring entry/single spring release.

Weaknesses:    Absolutely none.

Bottom Line:
These are the best pedals I have ever used. I used the Shimano 747 copy-Exus pedals for many years and still use them on my commuter bike. I had many problems with them. The onZa pedals were good, but not great like these ones. I recommend these pedals to anyone looking for an extremely dependable pedal in all XC situtations, mud included.

Favorite Trail:   Ulrich & Sugarbottom

Similar Products Used:   Exus-EM2 (I think)
onZa H.O.X.
Wellgo (Ritchey copies)

Bike Setup:   Bontrager Race, Caramba Double Barrels, Six Deluxe/Skareb fork, Mavic/Hugi wheels, 8 speed only.

Submitted by Charles a Racer from Chicago IL

Date Reviewed: November 22, 2002

Strengths:    Strong and takes a beatting

Bottom Line:
I have been using these pedals for years i switced them from my old hardrock i have never had and trouble with these pedals in gact i just got a new set for my new mtb.

Purchased At:   Kozys

Bike Setup:   2000 Specilzed hardrock

Submitted by Ed from Bergen County, NJ

Date Reviewed: September 5, 2002

Strengths:    Price

Weaknesses:    see below

Bottom Line:
Not sure what everyone is complaining about....sure they are not the greatest but they are $30/pair (Logic Red)...these peadls have not failed me yet...all injuries were because of my own stupidity....yes, you have to clean them sometimes...these are a great value and a great first clipless pedal....don't believe everything on this board...worth the investment..

Similar Products Used:   wellgo

Bike Setup:   GF tassajara (hardtail)

Submitted by Will a Cross Country Rider from Beaverton, Or

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2002

Strengths:    +Looks cool (mine are red)
+Easy to get out of
+Durable

Weaknesses:    -Sometimes hard to get into (even with lots of fine-tuning of tension screw)
-Bushings were cool for their time but I can totally see the plusses to have bearings
-When muddy, they are hard as hell to get into
-No way to use an Allen wrench to install; I've got a new pair of Ritchey's & they are Allen-wrench friendly :)
-Sometimes too easy to get out of; not good when jumping
-The pedal cage can really hold a lot of mud
-Too many moving parts; less moving parts means less places for things to go wrong

Bottom Line:
These are great pedals as long as you take care of them from day-one. I was pretty bike-maintenance stupid and only started servicing these pedals within the last year.

They are a real pain when the pedals get muddy to "clip in." My fix is to give the pedal a good downward kick a few times to shake them out.

I'm saving up to get some pedals with serviceable bearings. The bushings on my pedals are squeakin' as they wear. You can always cram more lube into bearings and keep them quiet and smooth. Also, I just am not into things with so many moving parts. More moving parts means more pieces to give you a headache; I ride a hardtail:)

I agree with some other people, when you could probably by any SPD-compatible pedal & won't notice too much of a difference in performance.

Take care & keep riding!

Favorite Trail:   Anything in Hood River

Purchased At:   came with my bike

Bike Setup:   '02 Access frame, '01 Judy XC, XT/XTR drivetrain, XTR brakes-levers-shifter/brake pods, Mavic 221's w/ XT hubs, Ritchey pedals & stem, Michelin Comp S tires, Topo flat bar (SL-140) & Topo Team seat (great seat for the price!!!)

Submitted by Gary a Weekend Warrior from Phoenix, Az

Date Reviewed: June 8, 2002

Strengths:    Cheap

Weaknesses:    Hard to get in, and you can't get out.

Bottom Line:
The pedals I got were actually Logic comp V-2's.
They are death traps. The adjustment screws fell out, I tried filing down the cleats, and lubricating the pedals. I'm nursing at least 1 cracked rib thanks to these things. I bought the shimano's on clearance at Supergo. It's like night and day. Shimano's are easy in and easy out, worth the extra weight!

Purchased At:   pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   Shimano m515's

Bike Setup:   K2 hardtail

Submitted by Brad Robinson a Weekend Warrior from Mississauga

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2002

Strengths:    Adjustable

Weaknesses:    Hard to do re-builds

Bottom Line:
These were the 1st spds I tried. So I went out to the local soccer pitch for an hour and practiced falling off on plush grass. It helped some what, but the big issue was not the pedal but the CLEAT.
Single release and Ritchie pedals are atrocious to say the least. Predictability issues that all the below posting allude to are bang on. You just never knew if you where gonna come out of the damn things. By stroke of good fortune I switched my cleats to Dual release. What a world of difference. Since I have made the switch I have never come close to not being able release. I soon as I start to go down, presto, I'm out. With the single release I had know choice but to fall several times a ride.

Purchased At:   From a friend

Similar Products Used:   Shimano 535 (the one with SPD on one side and a platform on the other) Tip- either go SPD or Platform not both.

Bike Setup:   GT Zaskar

Submitted by rob a Cross Country Rider from Australia

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2002

Strengths:    Reasonably light (compared to 858)
Cheapish/value

Weaknesses:    Requires service of bearing every 3-6 months depending on use. Soft alloy axle nut, can be easily rounded by a 6mm hex key. Then you are stuffed for a while.

Bottom Line:
After I rounded the nut trying to service the bearing, I had to get a hacksaw to cut a grove in hte nut and then (very slowly) use a big fat flat screwdriver to remove it. The Aussie distributers of ritchey are great (Dirtworks), and got a replacement withing a week.

Purchased At:   came on bike

Similar Products Used:   Wellgo, Time

Bike Setup:   Giant atx 890

Submitted by Leo a Weekend Warrior from Los Angeles, Ca

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2002

Strengths:    light, durable and secure once clipped in.

Weaknesses:    somtimes it's hard to tell when whether you're clipped in or not.

Bottom Line:
It works okay, but in technical sections, the pedals doesn't exactly inspire confidence when you can't tell if your in or not. At least exit is consistent.

Got the pedals with the bike. And can't believe that it costs more than Nashbar's despite being the same product. They look identical.

Purchased At:   OEM

Similar Products Used:   toe clips and straps on platform pedals.

Bike Setup:   generic aluminum hardtail

Submitted by David Fambrough a Cross Country Rider from Plano, Texas

Date Reviewed: October 23, 2001

Strengths:    It's clipless.

Weaknesses:    Mud. Poor quality. (A screw eventually fell out during a ride.) Adjustability of tension. Got to hunt for the pedal to clip in, but that may be the result of the shoes I'm using.

Bottom Line:
Glad I didn't purchase these pedals; otherwise, I'd be disappointed. Funny how the knock-offs from Wellgo get better reviews. At least it showed me the benefits of riding clipless -- more power to the pedal. If money is no object, go with Time. When it comes to XC riding in the mud, reliability and light weight, you can't go wrong.

Favorite Trail:   Johnsons Branch State Park

Purchased At:   Came w/my bike

Similar Products Used:   These were my first introduction to clipless. Now I've upgraded to the Shimano 636 for better riding rocky, rooty, technical trails.

Bike Setup:   GT i-drive

Submitted by Matt a Cross Country Rider from Flemington, NJ

Date Reviewed: July 8, 2001

Strengths:    weighs less than shimano, but then again, what doesn't!

Weaknesses:    crappy bushing design, terrible release, disimproved cleat over original design (if it ain't broke ...)!
Makes an experienced rider feel like a 1st time SPD rookie.

Bottom Line:
This pedal is definitely _dangerous_! Parking lot performance may be acceptable, but out in the ruthless rock gardens of NW New Jersey, you do not want to be in some death trap that holds onto your foot 'till you hit the ground!
This pedal has only gotten worse with age. After only 12 months of use, I have major bushing play, noise, and friction. Neither grease nor oil will help.
As for the retention mechanism, no matter how clean or well lubed, the pedal has never shown a definite point of release. Sometimes I feel like I am twisting my foot 50 degrees or more -- and still don't get out until my leg slams into a rock!
Advice to Tom: make a pedal with the inboard bearing of the new Logic Pro, with the release mechanism of the old WCS and I might forgive you for the bruises and the pain!

Favorite Trail:   Tequepis, SB

Purchased At:   Supergo - came spec'd on FSR

Similar Products Used:   Shimano 535, 747, Ritchey WCS (bring it back!), Ritchey Logic Pro (same retarded cleat design!)

Bike Setup:   Fisher Supercaliber, XTR, Manitou SXR w/ Englund air, King, Race Face cranks, World Class BB, Easton CT2, Syncros stem, Bontrager Ti Bar, Avocet R 40 (rules!), you get the picture ...

Submitted by Thomas Davis a Cross Country Rider from Ft. Collins, CO. USA

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2001

Strengths:    light weight
easy adjustment
easy to put on cranks

Weaknesses:    poor construction
very hard to get into
too easy to come out of

Bottom Line:
This is my first and only pair of clipless pedals to use. They came on my Trek 970 when I purchased it from a bike mechanic. For the first few years that I rode them, I was a weekend warrior and they worked fairly well. Now that my old frame is trashed, I have a Santa Cruz and I ride a lot more. The pedals have become increasingly harder to get into even with lubrication. I ride fairly technical trails 2 to 3 times a week and these pedals true colors are shining through. It is making it very aggravating to ride. To top it all off, I was trying to adjust them 2 night ago and one of the adjusting bolts busted in a tight setting, making it a single sided pedal. For a beginner these pedals will work okay, but for a consistent rider, I would not suggest these pedals for anyone. I am quite fed up and in the market for something different. Maybe I should heed the words of my friends and go to Time. Anybody have a pair they want to sell?

Favorite Trail:   still looking

Purchased At:   Came with used bike

Bike Setup:   '96 Trek 970 with XT/LX & current bike Santa Cruz Chameleon with same components

Submitted by JD a Weekend Warrior from nj

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2001

Strengths:    everything. clip in easy and hold firmly. Last forever.

Weaknesses:    After 6 years the tension bolt snapped when i was really torquing it up but who cares they still work very good.

Bottom Line:
They last forever although Ive heard the new ones suck ass. I hope thats not the case. I have come to trust Ritchey on their quality. Well if you can find a decent old pair in good shape buy them up like a cheap suit.

Favorite Trail:   across the street at allaire

Purchased At:   nashbar

Similar Products Used:   new bontragers they suck came on my new bike

Bike Setup:   2000 klein mantra (basically stock) vetta seat, old panaracer smoke dart up front old Onza Porc II in the back

Submitted by Karl a Racer from Chapel Hill

Date Reviewed: May 22, 2001

Strengths:    Clipless, easy in and out (for me at least), color.

Weaknesses:    Bearings are finally shot after 5 years of hard use and racing.

Bottom Line:
These were the first clipless pedals I have ever owned, and ever needed to own for that matter. I have finally killed them, as they hold my foot loosely, have play between the axle and pedal body, and occasionally clip out on a hard upstroke or jump. I have lost confidence in their condition, and have opted to replace them with shimano's newest.
They have held up remarkably well for the abuse I have put into them, but like all complicated parts, they have a definite lifespan, of which mine had already surpassed. The old ones like mine were great, but I have read that the new ones suck.

Favorite Trail:   New Light

Purchased At:   Bikes USA

Similar Products Used:   None. Just bought 858's.

Bike Setup:   Ibis Alibi

Submitted by Joe a Cross Country Rider from Olney, MD, USA

Date Reviewed: May 21, 2001

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    I have ridden previous versions of these pedals with great success, however it seems a lot has changed with the newest version. The first thing I noticed is that the newer version is difficult to release. The older pedals were very smooth and crisp on the release. I think that the new pedals have a major design flaw. The threaded cap which provides a barrier between the bearings and the riding environment is now made of plastic. Thats right I said plastic. Who in there right mind would design anything on a mountain bike pedal made of plastic. I experienced 2 problems with the new plastic cap. The first was that the first rock you hit with the pedal, the cap breaks off exposing the bearings to dirt, water and mud. The second problem is that the plastic cap provides no support to the access hole to the bearings. The first rock you hit in this area of the pedal dents and distorts the hole so that a cap will no longer fit. The older pedals had an aluminum cap which was much more durable and provided support to the material in the access area.

Bottom Line:
Hard to get out of.
End cap made of plastic.

These pedals arent worth any amount of money if they are intended for cross country riding.

Favorite Trail:   Patapsco State Park