Performance Topo™ MC-7 Older Pedals

3.77/5 (13 Reviews)

Performance Topo™ MC-7

Submitted by Dan from Grand Junction

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2003

Strengths:    cheep

Weaknesses:    bad mud/snow design, unpredictable entry exit

Bottom Line:
I have ridden these for a while and was relieved to break them. They only hold your foot secure if you get them real dirty with clay. Entry becomes slow, but it is the only way to keep your foot in. I lubricated these once and was afraid to catch air for days. When I did or there were tech sections of any kind I became totally disengaged. This happend several times mid air, and at times that I thought they were sufficiently dirty. These pedals are dangerous. I loved them when they were dirty enough to hold the cleat, but they are basically unpredictable.

Purchased At:   performance

Submitted by Jim a Cross Country Rider from Boulder, CO USA

Date Reviewed: September 14, 2002

Strengths:    Seem ok when I first started riding clipless. Cheap. (ya get what ya pay for!)

Weaknesses:    Crappy workmanship. The pedals have unscrewed and seperated from their shaft. Dangerous!

Bottom Line:
They can't take the abuse of real riding. Rode them a summer and when riding a really nasty technical trail, the right pedal platform unscrewed from it's shaft, almost causing me to shoot over a cliff edge. Switched to better pedals on my geared bike. Tossed the Topo's on my single speed, thinking I wouldn't be riding anything too insane. Did an epic ride today, and forgot to switch the pedals out. First the left one came off. Screwed it back on. Then during a really nasty bushwack, the right pedal came off and I totally lost it. Crappy, crappy pedals! Actually most Performance brand stuff I had bought in the past has been poorly made. Save yourself the hassle (or disaster) and buy a decent pedal! I wouldn't recommend these to anyone.

Similar Products Used:   Ritchey Logic, Shimano M536

Bike Setup:   which one?

Submitted by Dan Sites a Downhiller from Fort Collins

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2002

Strengths:    Easy learning curve, cheep as dirt

Weaknesses:    Can you say, accidental exit, going fast near big rocks.

Bottom Line:
If I read another product review were looks are a factor on deciding a product I will puke. If your bike looks pretty three months out of its box you should sell it. These pedals may be easy to get into but are way to easy to get out of. I bought them to improve my technical riding, but have suffered from fear of disengagement. Face it, easy exit is crap if your moving on a steep slope with enough rocks and trees to be called "mountain biking". They are perfect however, for in town strolls with the kids. I thought clilpless would keep me straped to the bike when things get harry. Someone please tell me where to get some death grip pedals. do not buy these pedals.

Favorite Trail:   Kanacreek (freeky long techno steep)

Similar Products Used:   first clipless

Bike Setup:   Fisher Mt tam xt

Submitted by Jason a Cross Country Rider from Tucson, AZ

Date Reviewed: February 15, 2002

Strengths:    Durabilty! Respectable Weight. Price. Just plain works.

Weaknesses:    Terrible in mud or wet snow.

Bottom Line:
I finally killed these pedals (and the orginal cleats) after 3 years of hard riding from the Arizona rocks to the Korean mud & snow. A new set of cleats probably would have saved them but a rock broke off one of the cleat jaws. After shopping around for a replacement pair (Shimano, Time, ect.) I figured why mess around with anything different and ordered another pair. If it works, use it!

Favorite Trail:   Fantasy Island

Purchased At:   Performance Catalog

Bike Setup:   Specialized FSR Comp, Kore bars/stem, Thompson seatpost, WTB Saddle, Bontrager rims

Submitted by ramilcp a Weekend Warrior from Norwalk, CA USA

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2002

Strengths:    Lightweight. Strong. Great Price! No accidental clip-outs even in the lowest tension setting. Doesn't scratch the shins or calves.

Weaknesses:    Can get clogged in muddy conditions. Paint rubs off easily (who cares?). Gotta remember to bring shoes to the ride. (I'm searching here...)

Bottom Line:
The only times I hated using these pedals were when I fall because I forget to unclip (my own fault) and when I have to step in mud. One time, I couldn't clip in because they were clogged with sticky, clayey mud. No problem, after the ride, I just waited for the mud to dry and picked the pieces off. I started biking with flat pedals and toe cages before switching to these pedals and so far they've been great. This is a good quality pedal at an even better price.

Favorite Trail:   Fullerton Loop

Similar Products Used:   First pair clipless pedals

Bike Setup:   Stock 2000 GT XCR-5000 w/ Topo straight bar, Serfas grips, bar ends, Terry Liberator Saddle, IRC Mythos XC tires.

Submitted by Bob Kaufman a Weekend Warrior from Deerfield, IL

Date Reviewed: January 12, 2001

Strengths:    Easy assembly, quick engage/disengage, double-sided entry, great value.

Weaknesses:    None yet

Bottom Line:
Great value, perfect for first time clipless users, simple, easy to use for all ages. Very compatable.

Favorite Trail:   Greenbay Trail

Purchased At:   Performance Bicycle

Similar Products Used:   Performance toe clips. These are my first clipless pedals so I just wanted a descent pedal for a good price.

Bike Setup:   Trek 1000

Submitted by Zach Orsulak a Racer from Walnutport, Pa

Date Reviewed: December 2, 2000

Strengths:    Great pedal, good looking, easy to adjust, durable

Weaknesses:    accumulates mud in really wet conditions

Bottom Line:
Great pedal! Easy to clip in and out of...doesn't accidentally release. Low-maintanence, performs well, light, and great for it's price.

Favorite Trail:   Bob's option

Purchased At:   Performancebike.com

Bike Setup:   TREK VRX200

Submitted by johnny from cambridge, ma USA

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2000

Strengths:    lighter than even the name brand stuff, easy adjustment, secure clip-in, easy clip-out

Weaknesses:    none that i've seen

Bottom Line:
this is my first experience with clipless, so i can't go into the finer points of clipless, but i guess if i can learn to use them in a day, that must say something good. i ride the city a lot, so there's a lot of quick start/stops (esp. when braking with leg locks) ... basically, the clips get a good amount of work. they feel great, look nice (i don't have a problem with scratched up black ... and they come in silver too). some crummy bike store guy tried to tell me no way they could be better than shimanos ... and maybe i'm dumb, but these feel just fine, esp. for the price.

Purchased At:   http://www.performancebike.com

Bike Setup:   fixed gear, bianchi road frame, front brake, 700x25C ... speedy urban bike basically

Submitted by Terry a Weekend Warrior from Niceville, Florida

Date Reviewed: September 30, 2000

Strengths:    Inexpensive, Works Well, Looks Good

Weaknesses:    A little hard to clip in

Bottom Line:
They are a good value. The silver ones look good after months of use. Other similar painted pedals show their age. They are not as easy to get into as the Shimanos, but they cost much less.

Purchased At:   Performance Bicycle (www.performancebike.com)

Similar Products Used:   Shimano 747

Bike Setup:   Giant Iguana

Submitted by Eric a Cross Country Rider from Milwaukee, WI

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2000

Strengths:    Cheap, reliable

Weaknesses:    None yet

Bottom Line:
These are great pedals for the price! I have always used regular pedals and finally decided to try clipless. They're easy to learn to clip in/out of.

Favorite Trail:   Muir Trails in Kettle Moraine

Similar Products Used:   Just platforms and toe clips, these are my first clipless pedals.

Bike Setup:   GT Ricochet, XT Drivetrain, Manitou fork, Spox rear, Crosslink front

Submitted by Drew Hutton a Weekend Warrior from Cumming, GA USA

Date Reviewed: February 17, 2000

Strengths:    Light
Ease of release
Ample float

Weaknesses:    None yet

Bottom Line:
Great Pedal... Bought in combo with the Performance Trophy ATB shoes and I love the whole thing. I haven't ridden much on clip in's, and I was worried about killing myself trying to get out of them in a fall, and it hasn't even come close to happening. Definitely a great pedal, and a great combo.. Super light, super easy to use. Great for a beginner due to low cost, but is great for anyone!

Favorite Trail:   Anywhere in North GA

Similar Products Used:   535's

Bike Setup:   Breezer Storm, XT/LX mix, Marzocchi Atom Bomb's

Submitted by Leo Baldwin a Cross-Country Rider from Portland, OR

Date Reviewed: September 27, 1999

Strengths:
Easy in
Easy out
Good float with included cleats
Light weight
Low Cost
Shimano cleat compatible

Weaknesses:

Bottom Line:
I have ridden 535's for 6 years on my Mountain bike (Trek 930) and road bike (Trek 1500).My son bought the MC-7s for his Diamondback resonse because he wanted clipless pedals, did not have much $$$, and wanted to use the same shoe & cleat in my road bike.We trade bikes all the time, and these things are great. We used Shimano cleats for a long time because they were already on the shoes, but I recently tried the cleats that came with the MC-7s and they are even better. Better in & out, and more float.My son comes out of my 535's unintentionally all the time when he rides my bike, but he never comes out of his MC-7s.I recently traded my road 535's for my wifes Ritchey comp V2's. The V2's are clickier and my wife prefered the 535's. I then found that the V2's are not cleat compatible with my other 535's or my son's MC-7's so I bought a set of MC-7's and am selling the V2's. I do have $$$ and could have bought another set of 535's or 747's etc. but I chose the MC-7's.My son and I also ride track bikes at the local Velodrome. We use our regular shoes, and take the MC-7s and put them on the fixed gear bikes. No problems!

Hagg Lake

6 months

Shimano M535's (6 years)
Ritchie Logic ATB Comp V2 (1 month)

Diamondback Response w/Manitou TCP
Trek 1500 (road bike)
KHS fixed gear track bike

Submitted by Outrigger a Weekend Warrior from San Diego, Ca

Date Reviewed: September 19, 1999

Strengths:
Price
Function

Weaknesses:
Mud Clearance

Bottom Line:
First clipless pedals. Never clipped out of them be accident, low tension too!
These are great pedals for anyone who has a light wallet and wants something that function like advertised!Almost went for Nasbars but Performance's shop is local and I could always take them back if I had a problem.

None Yet