Performance MC4 Pedal Older Pedals

2.53/5 (30 Reviews)

Performance MC4

Submitted by j j a Racer from j

Date Reviewed: February 5, 2001

Strengths:    Cheap, light

Weaknesses:    a little stiff to get into but other wise there fine

Bottom Line:
I don't know what all these people are whining about. Maybe they just don't know how to ride a bike with clipless pedals, or maybe they just don't know how to ride. I have raced with these pedals for over one year and the only problem i've had is them getting dirty. I used to have 747's. those clogged up and sucked. they were 100 bucks. to expensive for the quality. if you other people think that these pedals suck, why don't you clean them, lube them and learn how to ride. Take care of your stuff, and you will find that stuff lasts twice as long. And for you people who do downhill and crazy jumps and crap like that, clipless pedals aren't for you. No wonder why they broke. any clipless pedal would under those conditoins. get platforms for downhill and jumps. That's like taking a cross country bike on a downhill course. it won't survive. neither will the rider. these pedals are good.

Favorite Trail:   secret

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   shimano 747, Specialized

Submitted by Will a Racer from CO

Date Reviewed: April 1, 2000

Strengths:    Damn cheap.

Weaknesses:    Where to begin?

Bottom Line:
Take it from someone who has managed a Performance bike shop, almost anything that has the word "Performance" written on it is going to be crap. You can even make a quality product crap by writing that word on it. The MC4s were made by Wellgo as is nearly every other pedal, including Richey. Just rely on their exchange policy if you want to buy their house brand products.

Similar Products Used:   Time, Shimano.

Bike Setup:   Many bikes.

Submitted by Todd L. a cross-country rider from Lewisville, Tx

Date Reviewed: August 22, 1998

Bottom Line:

These were my first clipless pedals, just like a lot of other people here. Yes, they do suck in the mud or when they get gunked up, but we all knew that about SPDs, whether Shimano or clones. Save the occasional unintentional release, these were really pretty good pedals when kept lubed and the tennsion set right. Better things have come along, but these beat toe clips hands down.

Submitted by Barry a cross-country rider from Alabama

Date Reviewed: August 15, 1998

Bottom Line:

This is the only cycling related product I've ever bought that was an absolute piece of crap. Exit from these pedals is easy only in the cleanest of conditions.
Otherwise in mud its about as easy to just unlace your shoe and leave it clipped in as it is to unclip from these things in sloppy conditions. If you insist on using these pedals in muddy (especially sand) conditions have your health insurance paid up. The only good thing about these pedals is that Performance doesn't sell them any more. In defense of Performance they have replaced these with the more updated design similiar to Ritchey, Wellgo, etc. If you run across a used pair avoid them like the plague.

Submitted by Darrell a cross-country rider from Round Mountain, NV

Date Reviewed: August 13, 1998

Bottom Line:

These pedals are ok once your clipped in and riding. However, getting in and out of them is a major chore, even more so if they're barely grimed up. I had to have one replaced because the axle bearing went out. There are a lot better pedals out there. I wouldn't recommend these to anyone.

Submitted by P.J. a racer from PGH PA, USA

Date Reviewed: July 23, 1998

Bottom Line:

I thought that this pedal was a great pedal for the money. It works well in most conditions, but in mud it sticks when you try to release. Overall I thought it was a good deal. The Performace shoes aren't bad, too. So, for you cheapies out there this is the pedal for you.

Submitted by John a cross-country rider from Sapporo, Japan

Date Reviewed: June 27, 1998

Bottom Line:

I used these pedals for a couple seasons and agree with others - they are OK in nice conditions, but get into mud and then you have serious release problems. Have used Time ATACs for some time, and the Time's have no problems with mud. For the conditions I usually ride in, mud that is, I cannot at all recommend the MC4s.

Submitted by Nigel Pickard a weekend warrior from Westwood MA

Date Reviewed: March 24, 1998

Bottom Line:

I bought the MC4 pedals a two or three years ago -and to be honest, I've been very pleased with them. I've done approximately four thousand miles on them. I've found the release and entry to be very consistent, with the exception of mud -this kills these pedals (and if you don't expect it, will perhaps maim you for life). However, to be on the fair side, I also have a pair of Shimano 747s, and they act almost as badly in the same in muddy conditions. Incidentally, from my experience with both of these pedals, I'd say either the MC4 is vastly underrated or the 747 is vastly overrated. I do like the MC4s bigger platform, and adjustment is very easy. I have never had any problems with the retaining screws or design of the pedal. In retrospect, I would never have bought the 747s at almost twice the price as they certainly do not deliver twice the performance. But my review is not a comparison......I now have these pedals on my commuter bike (the 747s grace my offroad bike based purely on their slightly better mud performance). I've kept an eye on them -cleaning and lubricating when necessary -and expect them to last well into the future. I'd give them four stars for performance, but downgrade it to three based purely on the $50-$60 price I bought them at -for comparison you can now buy Bike Nashbar pedals at less than $40, and those pedals by the posted reviews are apparently pretty good.

Submitted by BTarver a racer from Phoenix

Date Reviewed: March 19, 1998

Bottom Line:

I have never read so much whining in one forum. Oh my goodness! Of course, there are better pedals on the market, but for the money you can't beat these. I have put these things through the ringer in the mountains around Phoenix. Uh, I think there's like dust and sand and big rocks and stuff. They work fine. Maybe you guys ought to service your equipment now and again. Have never had a problem with them. I had one, but it was my fault and quickly fixed it. Take it from an old roadie that loves the dirt, even the pricey Shimanos will fail you if you don't service them. Stop whining!

Submitted by Scott a racer

Date Reviewed: March 14, 1998

Bottom Line:

Don't, I repeat, Don't get the performance mc-7s. There is a small amount of aluminum holding the tension bolt inplace. If you touch anything with the front of this pedal, it is toast. Yes, its cheap, but it's lifespan is also very short. Its supposed to be a mountain bike pedal, so you think they would've designed it with this in mind.

Submitted by TOM GIOVANNI a cross-country rider from ILLINOIS

Date Reviewed: February 1, 1998

Bottom Line:

BOUGHT THESE PEDALS 3 YEARS AGO AND HATED THEM! USING SPECIALIZED GROUND CONTROL SHOES THERE WAS NO WAY OF KNOWING IF I COULD CLIP OUT WHEN I NEEDED OR EVEN WANTED TO. AFTER SWITCHING TO NIKE SUPAH PUBAHS DIDN'T HELP AT ALL.
SPEND THE EXTRA MONEY AND BUY SHIMANO 535'S OR RITCHEY LOGIC, YOU'LL THANK YOUR SELF I'M SURE.

Submitted by Jay a cross-country rider from Vancouver. Washington

Date Reviewed: January 28, 1998

Bottom Line:

They are okay at best! Hard to clip in to and very cheap. Like Eric below,
my cleat retention bolt fell out, thus freeing the spring to fall out. I don'
know, I should have watched it more carefully but I've never had the other
pedals I've had just fall apart like these did. Buy the Shimano 535 from Supergo (you can't go wrong with them). I have them
and they are way better than Performance pedals.

Submitted by Eric Smelser a cross-country rider from Phila, PA

Date Reviewed: December 18, 1997

Bottom Line:

I got these pedals with my bike (a Performance 205). They worked ok for a while , but after only three months the cleat bolt fell out. I have had problems ever since. Performance doesn't sell them any more so you can't replace the cleats. They suck in the mud. I ripped up my knee after going through a puddle and then trying to get out. Spend a little money and have a happier ride.

Submitted by Victim of cheap shit a downhiller from WISCONSIN

Date Reviewed: October 16, 1997

Bottom Line:

First off these are made by wellgo as about 90% of all clipless pedals on the market are. Shimano is the only other company that makes pedals and they only market thier own. These pedals are dick. They really are clipless as I have broken off 3 of the 4 toe hooks and they have to be new and straight out of the box in order to work. Mud kills them and the Float is really a large slop zone. If you are thinking about new pedals buy something better.

Submitted by Greg a racer

Date Reviewed: July 17, 1997

Bottom Line:

This is definitely not a pedal for off roading. But for road or commuter use this is a good pedal for a great price. I've had mine for about 2 years and have logged 3000+ miles on them and still use the original cleats with no problems whatsoever.