Performance MC-7 ATB pedals Older Pedals

3.75/5 (12 Reviews)

Performance MC-7 ATB pedals

Submitted by BigLarry a Cross Country Rider from South NJ

Date Reviewed: January 8, 2002

Strengths:    Low cost, easy to get out of with small angle float, easy to clean with hose after every ride

Weaknesses:    broken metal tabs, sometimes hard to get clipped in, especially when dirty or muddy. For safety, I adjusted them to very loose - they worked great even in highly technical riding (lots of rocks and big logs).

Bottom Line:
I used these pedals for 7 years, and replaced them a couple times (once under warrantee, again at 4 years) when I broke off the tabs. But I ride very often and very hard and I'm 240+ lbs.
I ride in so much mud so often (3X/week) that my back yard raised up an inch from all the bike washings. I'd take a couple inch mud coat off the whole bike. I had problems unclipping when the mud got on the pedals and dried into cement. I ended up using 1/3 of a water bottle each time I dabbed in the mud to clean the cleats and it helped. I also was jamming my chain with severe chain suck with all the mud. But the chain suck and pedal binding were both solved with White Lightning lubricant. Once I started using it on my chain and pedals, my chains lasted 2 years instead of 3 months. All the dried mud just dropped off the cleats and pedals!!! (But I still didn't leave clumps of wet mud on the cleats when riding. I stomped off the bulk and then quickly squirted right on the cleats with the water bottle.)
So these pedals worked fine with proper technique. I give them only 4 chillies due to the lack of high strength (but I do use them very hard).

Similar Products Used:   No other clipless pedals

Bike Setup:   Univega Alpina 7.1 But I just broke the frame (rear stay) under high cranking and bought a Trek Fuel 90!

Submitted by Jerico a Cross Country Rider from Daly City, CA USA

Date Reviewed: October 9, 2001

Strengths:    Inexpensive and tough.

Weaknesses:    A tad to tough to get into. I can imagine other pedals that are a lot better than this.

Bottom Line:
These pedals were a B-day gift. At first I didn't like them because it caused me to lose control when it didn't do their job (it disengaged after a hard jolt of the bike). I later started used them daily after find out how to properly maintain them. These have to be clean to garantee performance, if you happen to dab so oil on it or get some dirt loged into it, it will compromise the ability to keep your foot locked in place. Dispite all that, I found them to be truely relyable pedals that when I started to use them more often. As long as you have the tension firm enough, these will serve you well. I broke the binding on the left pedal after a terrible crash. I will not replace them with the mC-7's.

Favorite Trail:   Some dirt near campus.

Purchased At:   Perf Bikes

Similar Products Used:   None, but the 515's look like they rival it.

Bike Setup:   '99 Cannondale f-700 w/LX Cranks

Submitted by john a Weekend Warrior from silver spring, md

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2001

Strengths:    work well, haven't had any problems
price is probably good but since they came with the bike, i have nothing to say

Weaknesses:    none yet

Bottom Line:
i guess since i have never used anything else, i have nothing better to compair this too. they are so much better than toe clips, easy to get into and easy to get out of (fell once when i stopped and forgot i was in clipless pedals, oops) i like them

Purchased At:   performance bike (came w/ bike)

Similar Products Used:   first clipless, used flat pedals and toe clips.

Submitted by Robb Robison a Cross Country Rider from Beaverton Oregon

Date Reviewed: June 3, 2001

Strengths:    Works well for the beginner like me, only took a couple of tries to learn. The pedals somtimes don't "click" as loud as I would like but this is very minor.

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
Good product for the beginnner, easy to learn and cheap if you decided to go back to regular pedals. Look good in silver and so far seem very well constructed!

Favorite Trail:   Hagg Lake

Similar Products Used:   First time clipless user

Bike Setup:   Trek 7000 w/Judy XC,shimano STX components,Cannondale and Botranger supension seatpost and seat

Submitted by Connor a Weekend Warrior from Denver, CO, USA

Date Reviewed: March 21, 2001

Strengths:    Price, durability, maintenance-free, reasonably light (350 gm/pair).

Weaknesses:    Sometimes hard to clip in-helps to replace cleats regularly. I have been through 3 sets already.

Bottom Line:
My first and only clipless pedals, have used them for almost 4 years of daily commuting to work and mountain biking in CO and Moab. These things are great-unbreakable, need almost no service, and the price is right. I use them all winter in the snow for commuting and they work reasonably well. We don't have lots of mud in CO so I can't comment here. I personally see no reason to spend more on a pedal unless you are embarrassed to not have a "brand name" pedal (the paint and names wear off anyway).

Bike Setup:   Trek 970/Judy XC

Submitted by Glenn a Weekend Warrior from Potomac, MD

Date Reviewed: June 12, 2000

Strengths:    Price. Good first or starter set.

Weaknesses:    AWFUL performance in mud. Just awful.
Rust!!

Bottom Line:
The pedals perform fine EXCEPT in mud, and in a race this is unforgivable. (Of course, most recreational racers have better pedals anyway). I had a critical lap at the 24 Hours of Snowshow undermined by these pedals' rotten performance with muck. I'm taking them off the first chance I get. Sorry Performance.

If you just want good, solid, inexpensive clipless pedals, and you're not going to go into the muck and grease, these or the Performance-brand campus pedals are good choices.

OTOH, if you intend to do more serious riding, buy up to something better. I think TIME pedals are in the future.

Bike Setup:   Fisher Aquila.

Submitted by Chittick a Racer from littleton co

Date Reviewed: September 24, 1999

Strengths:
great price. availability of colors. they work.

Weaknesses:
the strongest setting is about the shim m-747's weakest setting. occasionally you'll buy a set where the pedal spins off of the spindle. just warranty them.

Bottom Line:
if you wanna try clipless, you can't go wrong. just make sure you never pay more than 39.99 for them. if they're marked higher, wait a week and performance will put them on sale. as your skills grow, however, you'll find the slop inside the pedal to be a bit much and you will eventually start jumping out of them, no matter how tight you set them. at that point, upgrade to atac's or 747's.

the lynn trail, VA

2 Years

m-747, m-535, ritchey comp

98 stumpy m2, sx ti, mucho xtr.

Submitted by Nick Fenton a Racer from ClintonCT

Date Reviewed: August 7, 1999

Strengths:
Price, ease of use, great first time pedals,easy to maintane

Weaknesses:
Tiny bit heavy,READ THIS*****************************I****KNOW**AN ****EASY FIX *******FOR ********RUST***********

Bottom Line:
A great pedal, easer in and out than LX pedals (5-5 something)Awsome in mud I couldn't belive it but watch out for snow! If your a first timer Buy these master them then in another three years buy some $49.99 Ritchys. Oh yeah the mc-7 are indo structable- read my in Shoes/Nike Inyo- that crash almost totaled the bike but the pedals just got crammed with mud Go ahaid E-mail me!

The little one in my back yard

6 months

Ritchy CompV2

Trek

Submitted by Ben a Weekend Warrior from San Diego, Ca

Date Reviewed: August 1, 1999

Strengths:
Price

Weaknesses:
None Yet

Bottom Line:
My first clipless pedals. I haven't hit the trails yet but my commutes to work have been great. I have only one long steep hill to tackle on my way home and I love the extra power that I have been missing while using toe clips.For only $25 I can't complain. 5 Stars for the price

less than 1 month

'98 SBC Rockhopper A1 FS

Submitted by TrailRipper a Cross-Country Rider from Wisconsin

Date Reviewed: June 14, 1999

Strengths:
Easy to clip in
Easy to clip out when muddy
Price

Weaknesses:
Not really easy to get into in the mud
Rust!

Bottom Line:
After a year in a half of pretty rigorous riding, the MC-7's held up quite well. Sure, the paint scratched off where the cleat hits it and the pedal gets a bit looser, but they are cosmetic and easy to fix problems respectively. The only thing that bothers me is that after a recent ride of unusual mud and water levels, the pedals became rusty. Hence, I have to replace them soon. I've considered the Time ATAC's--to much release angle--and the 747's-price. And then I considered these, and they were good for the money.

Rock Lake (Chequamegon)

1 Year

Nashbar

Rockhopper FS (97) w/Judy XC and Englunds
XTR V brakes
GS 4.0

Submitted by Brian a Cross-Country Rider from Indianapolis

Date Reviewed: May 15, 1999

Strengths:
Cheap clipless pedal

Weaknesses:
Quality

Bottom Line:
I bought these as my first pair of clipless pedals. After about five months, the pedal body came unscrewed off of the spindle while I was riding. I also have a hard time cliping into them. I'm thinking of going with the ATAC pedals next. But overall, these were a good, cheap set of clipless to start off on.

6 months

Fisher Paragon, with Manitou SXR

Submitted by Flip a Cross-Country Rider from Wheeling, IL

Date Reviewed: April 4, 1999

Strengths:
affordable

Weaknesses:
only 4 deg float

Bottom Line:
These are the first clipless pedals I've ever tried. I bought these and a pair of Specialized Team Comp shoes. I know that the more float you have the better but for 33 bucks these were hard to pass up. I didn't have too much trouble clipping in and out of them even in muddy conditions. I do have a tendency to unclip when I don't want too though. There are two awesome things that clipless pedals give you that outweigh my complaints though. I can bunny hop like there is no tomorrow and I can power my way up steep inclines like a mountain goat. Overall, I'm happy with the purchase.

Deer Grove

less than 1 month

first time I've ever tried clipless

Performance M-405 with Spyder fork