Onza H.O.X Older Pedals

4.06/5 (16 Reviews)

Onza H.O.X

Submitted by Tom a Cross Country Rider from Waterloo, IA

Date Reviewed: December 28, 2002

Strengths:    Convertability between cages, twin, rear release mechanisms, ability to clip-in under ANY condition.

Weaknesses:    'DH' cages virtually cannot be conveniently clipped into under any critical conditions, 'XC' cages are only really only for eye-appeal (even though I use them). Other reviews claim the weightyness, but I've never noticed.

Bottom Line:
I LOVE these pedals!! I have been looking to secure a backup set to no avail. They have a nice, wide footbed, and are easy to maintain and clip into, regardless of the amount of mud or snow they are subjected to.

Favorite Trail:   Ulrich

Purchased At:   Private buy here

Similar Products Used:   Exus M-2, Wellgo (Ritchey copies), Topo

Bike Setup:   ProFlex 856 found in other review

Submitted by paul a Cross Country Rider from hackensack,nj

Date Reviewed: April 29, 2002

Strengths:    3 cages, dh's work well w/ sneakers,& they are orange

Weaknesses:    heavy, can't find cleats anywhere

Bottom Line:
when I bought them, I was told that they were compatable w/ shamano cleats but thay are not. onza went out of bussiness so I started looking all over for a replacement set(just in case) and could not find them anywhere. they are great pedals for dh or xc. after 1 year only had one problem that was easily fixed with an allen key. a little pricey for the weight.

Purchased At:   lbs

Similar Products Used:   stock wellgo w/clips

Submitted by Evil Bob from London, England

Date Reviewed: October 19, 2001

Strengths:    Multiple cages, price, looks, strength

Weaknesses:    Avalability of cleats and other parts in the UK, sealing around the bearings

Bottom Line:
These pedals are good at what they are designed for. they are 100% impossible to use with out SPD shoes, although that should be obvious its worth stating. you can adjust the float on them they are strong and well built they don't feel cheap at all and would have been happy to spend double what i did on these if only i could get the new cleats and replacement cages. I run these with the downhill cages and to be honest i don't see the point in the pins they do absolutly nothing. they don't hinder the performance but they are completly pointless.

Favorite Trail:   Whipendell Woods

Purchased At:   Chainreactioncycles.com

Similar Products Used:   Flats

Bike Setup:   LX/XT drive train, Onza H.O.X pedals, 24/7 bar/stem, GT Arrowhead frame, Marzzocchi bomber Z4. Answer flatfoot SPD shoes.

Submitted by Mike Burton a Cross Country Rider from Edmonton, AB, Canada

Date Reviewed: June 13, 2000

Strengths:    Versatility, mud,appearance

Weaknesses:    Clipping in, especially with dh cages

Bottom Line:
The bike shop talked me into swapping for these when I bought my new bike. I liked the idea of one pedal that could serve a variety of needs. I'm not a downhiller but I've been in early winter conditions where the snow turned to ice, I couldn't clip in and I had a long ugly ride ahead. So far I am impressed. I went out last night after a full day of rain and played in the mud, fell in the mud, slopped around in the mud, never had a problem getting back in the pedals. When I reached pavement I stopped to clean my shoes and I couldn't believe the mud that had collected in my cleats and in the pedals. Impressive. I would say that with the big platforms on these guys are a little more difficult to get in to but I've removed the little chrome bolts and that help significantly. I like the orange and black, it's ugly!! I can't suggest who SHOULDN'T buy these pedals but you should buy them if you ride in a variety of conditions, don't want to swap parts all the time, (did I say TIME) and think a few ugly parts make your bike a thing of art.

Favorite Trail:   Prairie View-backside, Kananaskis

Similar Products Used:   various

Bike Setup:   2000 Kona Kilauea, yes, the still make them in Canada, xt, hollowtech cranks, Avid SD25's, Mavic 221X rims and that groovy Kona glow in the dark stuff

Submitted by Van a Cross Country Rider from St Louis,MO

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2000

Strengths:    easy of use

Weaknesses:    good in the Mud not great

Bottom Line:
This is a great pedal .After I got used to them.Please keep well lubricated.

Favorite Trail:   castlewood

Bike Setup:   GT Karakoram

Submitted by Gary Wilkes a Weekend Warrior from Bristol, England

Date Reviewed: February 4, 2000

Strengths:    Adaptable, stlye, price (I only paid £20 in sale)

Weaknesses:    Bit heavy with the DH cages but easy to swap or remove.

Bottom Line:
These are so much better than other pedals I have used and so versatile.

The Orange doesn't look too bad with my blue bike, but I can see them not suiting everyone.

Favorite Trail:   Kinver Edge

Similar Products Used:   Tioga Surefoots with clips, shimano spd's

Bike Setup:   '93 Saracen Trekker, LX Brakes with Manitou SXR's

Submitted by caleb hoyt a Cross-Country Rider from lyons kansas

Date Reviewed: September 15, 1999

Strengths:
swichable cages from xc to dh in 12 sec

Weaknesses:
could use a diet

Bottom Line:
They rule and that's the bottome line!They're a little heavy but thats it there easy to get out of and I only had one problem with them, (keeping my next door neighbor off my bikewhen he first rode my bike with them on there).:-)

my private trail

6 months

most shamano pedals

giant warp se. rst 280 team eddition

Submitted by Chris a Cross-Country Rider from CT

Date Reviewed: July 9, 1999

Strengths:
Ability to change cages, downhill type cage for w/o cleats

Weaknesses:
a little hard to clip in with DH cages

Bottom Line:
They are my first pair of clipless pedals and I have only had them for a day, but I like them alot. I havn't ridden them offroad, but I will post a follow-up later. They release easily, although I am still getting used to clipping in.

less than 1 month

standard pedals with toe clips

C-dale delta v

Submitted by Brent a Racer from SFC, CA

Date Reviewed: May 5, 1999

Strengths:
Ability to convert to different cages

Weaknesses:
Sometimes akward to clip in

Bottom Line:
I got these pedals so that I would have a bigger platform for freeriding. I think the big cage is the perfect size, but it hinders clipping in at times. I have Nike Yuha shoes and after clipping out for a switchback I have to hunt to clip back in. Otherwise it works fine, just like all the other SPD clones. If it had the pop-up mount like the Shimano it would be perfect. I guess I should've gotten the Shimano then!

Top Secret

less than 1 month

ATACs
Ritchey

DBR XR-4

Submitted by Superman a weekend warrior from Krypton

Date Reviewed: January 12, 1999

Bottom Line:

These pedals really help me fly! I highly recommend them to all you mere mortals. I've tried several different pedals, and these are definitely the most dependable. And, they're pretty economical too.

Submitted by Dean Armand a cross-country rider from Denver, Colorado

Date Reviewed: November 25, 1998

Bottom Line:

I have ridden these pedal for about 2 months now. I have them on my single speed and they work great. The only problem I've had with them so far is that when they are used with cleats that have toe pegs, getting in the pedal takes a little getting used to. Also, if you come out of the pedals when your'e using the downhill/BMX platforms, you do not want to hit the pegs on the pedals. The pain and blood factor is very reminiscent of bear trap pedals.

Submitted by Trevor McIlroy a cross-country rider from Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada

Date Reviewed: October 25, 1998

Bottom Line:

These are my first and only set of clipless pedals. I got them about 3 months ago and they have worked perfectly since I got them. They are easy to get in of and easy to get out of. Mud didnt affect them very much and I dont even have to lube them. I ride the XC cages which is a nice feature because I can turn my pedals into downhill pedals in about 5 minutes. The only bad thing is that they are orange and my frame is red and I have green tires which makes my bike look wierd. They were a good price ($75 canadian) and work good for me so I give them 5 stars.

Submitted by Eros R. Adragna a downhiller from West Islip, NY USA

Date Reviewed: September 14, 1998

Bottom Line:

These pedals are terrible, I would not recommend them for any rider. I have taken these pedals to the extream, and they didn't even get passed the front door. Thank god I did not toss my old 636 dx's away. The onza's unclip way to easy, even at it's highest setting. They are a PAIN to get into, and they have like a 2-3 degree float. Save your money and buy the shimano 636 dx or if you are a weight freak you can purchase the m545 for about a bill... THUMBS DOWN BABY....

Submitted by Corey a racer from Central NH

Date Reviewed: July 10, 1998

Bottom Line:

I recently purchased these pedals and sometimes I wish I had not. I have had trouble with them in the mud. When the dirt gets caked into the platform it can become hard to clip in and out. On the positive side they are very durable and have taken my beating thus far. If I could go back I would get speedplays.

Submitted by Colorado Clydesdale a cross-country rider

Date Reviewed: May 29, 1998

Bottom Line:

Just bought these pedals and they seem to be pretty good. They (Onza) have dropped their elastomer release pedal in favor of a more traditional spring release system. The pedals do not near the float that the old HOs did and they don't have the range of different ways to disengage the cleat as the HOs did (no doubt a response to many of the people who panned the HOs for pre-releasing. The new platform adds a sense of great stability without all of the weight that the Shimano 636 has. I weigh over 200 lbs and ride fairly physically, so far it has performed fairly well. I was a bit surprised that the pedal was not more like the 636 with a spring that popped the clip up and I have been disapointed with the amount of float (nearly none but an Onza tech wrote me that it would increase as the pedal wears) but at least I am helping support diversity and development in the market rather then succumbing to Shimano - the Microsoft of Mountain Biking. Right now I'm going to give the pedals three chilis. I'll write a follow-up at the end of the season.