Onza H.O. Ti Older Pedals

3.15/5 (46 Reviews)

Onza HO Ti

Submitted by hotdogger a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2009

Strengths:    Simple light weight clever design, adjustable release and angle

Weaknesses:    NA

Bottom Line:
These pedals have been used for 14 years and couple of rides per week. They are easy in and easy out, nice and stable under power. The elastomers has been changed about three times. The bearings have finally wore out. Mainly the bushing but a little spindle wear. I have another set that will go back on the bike.

Bike Setup:   Trek Y22

Submitted by TimCthefilmguy a Racer from Detroit/Orlando

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2009

Strengths:    Bought used in 94! still on my first elastomers

Bottom Line:
I commute daily year round. These pedals have lasted 15 years and they were used when I bought them. What more could you ask for? And they function flawlessly. Easy in and easy out but never unexpectedly. Light enough and I haven't changed cleats ever!

Purchased At:   used

Bike Setup:   Bianchi Denali

Submitted by Tim a Cross Country Rider from Denver

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2007

Strengths:    Light, simple design, not much to go wrong or take care of.

Weaknesses:    No Respect from the gear heads and tec wennies.

Bottom Line:
I've had a set of these on four different bikes, and they are BOMB PROOF! I put the cleats on a pair of SIDI Dominators, 8 years ago and have never once had a reason to look for different pedals. The shoes have held up too! I clean them once every few months, and throw a drop of oil on them ever other year or so. No issues what so ever. Easy enough to get into and out of, secure click, and lots of float.

Favorite Trail:   Buffalo Creek

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   Shimano SPD

Bike Setup:   Diamond back full xt

Submitted by Kevin Kincaid from Seattle, WA

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2003

Strengths:    Easy to clip into. Clean profile and simple form. Mud clearance is above average. Enough float to make any freeride freak happy. Elastomer bushings laster longer than I thought they would.

Weaknesses:    Honestly, none come to mind.

Bottom Line:
Bottom line. I got these pedals as seconds from a cop on the Riverside Police force. They were used but free. That was 9 years ago. I have abused the living heck out of these pedals and not changed the elastomers in them since the day i got them. They are still strong, keep me clipped in and work like a charm. In terms of value, I got mine free, but if I paid $160 for these things back in the early 90s and have had to do no work or replacments on them, I would consider that killer value.

I just bought a new pair of shoesthis month and with them I got some free Time ATACS (how do i luck out with free pedals all the time?). I am going to throw on the ATACS and give them a "fair trial" before I put my Onza cleats on my new Specialized Pro 03 MTBs. If I like them, i'll write a review there. If not, I'm going going...back back...to Onza Onza.

Much love to the Socal Inland Empire bike scene. Miss my old trails but Washington is the SHEET.

Favorite Trail:   The one you couldn't finish

Purchased At:   Local Pig

Bike Setup:   Stumpjumper M4, Hayes Hydro-disc, Psylo Race w/ remote lockout, CK headset, Onzo HO Ti clipless pedals, chingowa all over my bowa.

Submitted by Mick Hall a Cross Country Rider from Cramlington U K

Date Reviewed: May 23, 2003

Strengths:    Allround simple bombproof design

Weaknesses:    Can't find spare cleats

Bottom Line:
Used them for thousands of miles without problems worn out four sets of cleats through walking cant find anymore cleats big problem. Shame as pedals are well used but still A1.

Purchased At:   1995

Similar Products Used:   shimano

Submitted by Harorider a Racer from Houston

Date Reviewed: January 5, 2003

Strengths:    Lasted since '95

Weaknesses:    can't get replacement parts

Bottom Line:
I have had these since '95 and they have held up great. From the great trails at Shasta Lake to sandy single track of Houston. I just can't find extra cleats.
If you can find any of these, I would suggetst getting them.

Favorite Trail:   The Chute at Shasta Dam

Purchased At:   Bike Nashbar

Bike Setup:   Haro A-4

Submitted by squirell a Cross Country Rider from houston

Date Reviewed: September 26, 2002

Strengths:    cheap

Weaknesses:    take time to get use to.
MUD.

Bottom Line:
work great for me never have problems with disengagement.
not dumb enough to live in cold weather.

Purchased At:   lbs

Similar Products Used:   spd

Bike Setup:   k2 zed 4.0

Submitted by Marcel a Weekend Warrior from Sacramento

Date Reviewed: November 29, 2000

Strengths:    Lightweight, easy maintenance

Weaknesses:    finding replacement elastomers

Bottom Line:
I love these pedals. I've had these since 93/94. I have friends that use Shimano and Onza. Those with Shimano have gone through 3 or so sets (could be they want the latest or greatest but either way, they must not be that satisfied if they feel they have to have new ones). Those with Onzas are still using them. We were also smart to purchase extra bags of elastomers when we bought our pedals. I went to softer elastomers and they have worked great for me.

Submitted by tom shred master a Racer from southeast

Date Reviewed: July 3, 2000

Strengths:    weight, strength, ease of use

Weaknesses:    hard to find replacement elastomers now that they have been discontinued

Bottom Line:
its hard to read these reviews, because every review contradicts the other reviews, but, here is my honest review:
these pedals have lasted for years now, with only one replacement of the elastomers. i ride every day, and am a shred head freak... jumps, bombing up and down, you name it... my pedals only rarely pop out, and are easy to get in and out of. i've entered/exited over 10,000 times probably, and have no bad memories... i take them apart and lube the spindle and other parts, so i'm sure that has contributed to their longevity. SO, if you can still find them, they work great... i think i got mine for like $60 aftermarket, usually $150+!!!!

Favorite Trail:   colorado-swan lake, diablo's ridge

Similar Products Used:   wellgo and ritchey

Bike Setup:   ventana el fuego XTR, XC dual suspension

Submitted by Rex Rzer a Cross Country Rider from 1000 Oaks/CA/USA

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2000

Strengths:    light weight
nice float
easy cleaning
longevity

Bottom Line:
I've used these since 1993!!! with no problemas...waaay back when, I got a new pair of Shimano mtn bike shoes and the guys who built my bike, Hi Mike and Kai!, shaved the hell out of the shoe bottoms and threw away the clear elastomers for the black hard ones...and I've not had a blinking fall or any other issue. I was sorry to hear that ONZA had died because these are great products, and weigh less than 300Gs. I also have a pair of Shimano silver leather Kevlar shoes...you know, the ones that cost more than $300....with ONZA cleats for these pedals, and they also work great. All the fools who are complaining about these pedals probably need the big flat SPDs and also can't find the fly when it's time to pee, as the piss drips down legs they curse the Levi's....I am taking these off my Marzocchi and installing them on my new Titus FS that's being built, so I won't have to change my shoes, or my pedaling balance. That's how much I think of ONZA Ti pedals...they've survied the millennium and will survive another 10 years--they don't need any maintenance...I've ridden them for 7+ years and thousands of off-road miles in all types of weather and terrain and I have not thought one second about the pedals...I installed them, and I forgot I had them but for reading this review page, which reminded me ONZA made a freaking GREAT pedal.

Favorite Trail:   Sycamore Canyon's Wood Ranch Trail

Similar Products Used:   none but my SPDs on my road bike which died

Bike Setup:   Iron Horse FS Works: Cook Bros Crank, XTR F&R, RapidFire, Halson MagLite Brakes; Nuke Proof Ti Hubs, Ringle Ti Skewers,
Mavic 317 Rims, Ringle seatpost, Kore 0-degree Rise stem, King NoThreadSet headset, Rock Shokx SL Ti Shock, GoreTex cables, etc etc etc

Submitted by Tracy Stanger a Cross-Country Rider from Salt Lake

Date Reviewed: December 3, 1999

Strengths:
Weight

Weaknesses:
Unpredictable, difficult to clip out

Bottom Line:
I am glad to see there is a review section for these pedals because they are crap. I have fallen more because of these pedals than all falls put together. Bumper pad system is lame and not very adjustable. Was told that they will not clip out when minute burrs form on the cleat. Tried everything and they still did not perform. Finally went back to a heavier Shimano 747 that I can rely on when I need to. 1 flaming latex for this product

Porcipine Rim, Moab

1 Year

Shimano

Specialized SWorks, Race Face, SuperFly Fork, SRAM 9.0

Submitted by Jamie a Cross-Country Rider from Ottawa, Canada

Date Reviewed: April 24, 1999

Strengths:
Weight, there is no comparison!
Total reliability.
Float.

Weaknesses:
Not on these.

Bottom Line:
Four years ago I brought I pair of cro-mo Onza's and had an accident involving a car and totaled one of the pedals. I replaced them with these amazingly lite almost flawless baby's. I have one bad knee from a hockey injury so the float is a God sent. They are mechanically very simple as far as ingaging is concerned, which is always a good thing. I said almost flawless the only flaw is in combination with my Specialized shoes they can get clogged in heavy mud (I used to live in the UK). Having said that for their age and still amazing bearing performance I will award five out of five.

more than 3 years

Onza. H.O cro-mo

DynaTech - Hope front hub, XT rear hub/casset lot's of X-lite components.

Submitted by RussellC a Cross-Country Rider from Lebanon, TN

Date Reviewed: March 29, 1999

Strengths:    1) Low weight.
2) Excellent ground clearance
3) Low weight
4) Good float
5) Low weight
6) Decent retention
7) Low weight

Weaknesses:    1) Miserable customer support
2) Difficult to engage
3) Fussy if not clean

Bottom Line:
Unless you're obsessed with the lightest available, spend your money elsewhere.

PCT