Odyssey Svelte Older Pedals

3.57/5 (7 Reviews)

Svelte

Submitted by zouch a Cross Country Rider from SF Bay Area

Date Reviewed: November 3, 2008

Strengths:    light, simple

Weaknesses:    replacement bearings not readily available 10 years later,... ;-)

Bottom Line:
bought the Svelte Ti's to have something to use when i didn't necessarily want to have to use 'bicycle shoes', like when in camp on the trail; ended up using them with plastic clips and straps, and for everything from trails to crazy-ass Trialsin'.

even after ripping one of the cage screws out of the pedal body due to many years of using the left pedal to climb over rocks and things in environments ranging from unworkable mud to deserts of the SouthWest, these things have never failed me or given me any cause for concern (much like the Klein itself).

just checked them again while doing some other service this weekend, and noticed a *hint* of a notch in the bearings; entirely excusable after all they've been through since i put them on a decade or so ago!

anyone know where i can get some replacement bearing for these? ;-) (NSK 686Z)

Purchased At:   Cupertino Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Suntour XC Pro, Phil CHPs. (lota's SPDs; WTB, Bontrager, Shimano,...)

Bike Setup:   Klein Pinnacle, rigid fork. old XT drivetrain, with Cook Bros., Bontrager, WTB, Syncros, etc.

Submitted by Dan a Weekend Warrior from Chester Spring, PA

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2006

Strengths:    Light, not clipless, durable, easy to maintain.

Weaknesses:    only on eBay now.

Bottom Line:
I service every five years. This includes disassembly, clean, grease, reassemble w/ thread locker on all bolts. Ride. Works best w/ Mt Zefal clips and Mt Christophe straps.

Purchased At:   lbs

Similar Products Used:   old xt platforms, generics.

Bike Setup:   '96 Obed xt/lx, Paul's Motolite/Love Levers, xt top mount shifters

Submitted by Chris Robarchek a Cross Country Rider from Santa Cruz, CA USA

Date Reviewed: February 20, 2003

Strengths:    Hah!!

Weaknesses:    Although my bike is set up as a Cyclocross bike, I rarely ride off road and if I do, it's strictly to get back onto the paved road. I don't like cage or clip pedals. I don't like feeling like my feet are trapped. I ride every day of my life for transportation as a choice in lifestyle but again, it's strictly on paved roads. I try to buy only the best, strongest components available, regardless of price because I want to have complete confidance in my components. I was told these pedals were the strongest on the market, and definately stronger than most clipless. I was told by the bike shop that they were like a cross between a road and BMX pedal. After riding them about 2-3 years of light, around town riding, one of them just snapped off when I got up out of the saddle on my power stroke sending my 235 lbs straight to the ground and sending me to the emergency room immediately after. I was dignosed with a concussion, multiple contusions, head trauma and a sprained neck. Luckily, the passing motorists were able to avoid running me over by swerving.

There is absolutely NO REASON for any pedal for ANY PRICE to simply snap off under the casual use which it was intended for. This product nearly cost me my life. I'm seeking legal action as I'm writing this.

Bottom Line:
After reading of my experience, conclude your own "bottom line".

Favorite Trail:   Wilder Ranch

Purchased At:   Bicycle Trip

Similar Products Used:   Lots, but none have ever just snapped off under casual, ON ROAD useage. Even the bearings reflect the light-moderate usage these pedals recieved.

Bike Setup:   Specialized M4 frame. Chris King Headset and hubs. Mavic, CXP rims. Ti seatpost and Ti Selle seat. XTR drivetrain and brakes.

Submitted by Scott a Cross Country Rider from Louisville, KY, USA

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2000

Strengths:    Light and durable

Weaknesses:    Cage too sharp and feels like there is a top and bottom to it.

Bottom Line:
This is a follow up to my last review. The original set I got were defective, the LBS took one look at them an gave me a new set. Been riding the new set for almost a month now and haven't heard a sound from them. The metal cages have great grip with any type of shoe. Which means they will also slice through your shins without any trouble. Also, feels like there is a top and bottom to the pedal. At times one of the pedals will feel uncomfortable. I flip it so the other side is on top and it is fine then. I got use to how sharp they are, so the real complaint is the top and bottom feel.

Similar Products Used:   Generic platform

Bike Setup:   Schwinn Sweetspot S[9six]

Submitted by James a Cross Country Rider from Elkhart

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2000

Strengths:    Light
Not Clipless

Weaknesses:    Harder to Find
Still pricey

Bottom Line:
I'm still a bit of a retro-grouch. I've embraced duallies, shocks, but don't see a need for more than 8 gears, and would gladly go back to thumbies if a good 8 speed set came out...

The same goes true for the pedals. I wanted a nice set that was light, and not clipless. I still ride in sneakers and sometimes walk in the same shoes that I ride in. (Abhor that though! :) Doesn't help that I've got big fit.

The Pedals are light (shop scale weighed them in at under the manufactured listed by 15-20g, the other set he had in were about 10g over...), haven't developed any nasty squeaks, spin smooth, were cheap, and haven't bashed in from rocks. I don't think about them. A perfect reccomendation in my book.

Favorite Trail:   Still looking - got suggestions?

Similar Products Used:   Cages that came stock with bikes

Bike Setup:   Jamis Dakar built from frame up

Submitted by Scott a Cross Country Rider from Louisville, Ky

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2000

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    Bearings

Bottom Line:
After two years the cheap generic pedals I had wore out. Decided instead of getting more generic pedals I would get more expensive better quality pedals and all the LBS had were these or real expensive clipless. I was riding a paved road up the hill to where my favorite trails start and the bearings in these crappy pedals gave out halfway up the hill. The total riding distance that they lasted can be measured in feet, not miles. By the time I got to the top of the hill it sounded like the pedals were packed with sand and had pebbles instead of bearings. I tried cleaning and regreasing the bearings, but they were to far gone.