Nashbar VP133 Dual Action Pedal Older Pedals

2.33/5 (3 Reviews)

Nashbar VP133 Dual Action Pedal

Submitted by Clevor from Yokosuka, Japan

Date Reviewed: January 14, 2002

Strengths:    Excellent quality, easy to clip in, high quality construction.

Weaknesses:    Rubber traction insert may fall out eventually.

Bottom Line:
I don't know if we are talking the same pedal here, but I mean the Nashbar City Sport Pedal 2 I got for $14.95. This pedal rocks! I am using it for a grocery getter mountain bike I use for the road. One side is SPD clipless and the other has a standard cage.

I swear these pedals click into and out of as good as my $100 Shimano 747s! And the quality and workmanship is excellent on such a cheap product. They are heavy, but I'm using it on a 37 lb. bike with no suspension.

I believe these pedals will work great on a mountain bike; use the cage for gnarly sections. I think the pedals clip into and out of better than the Shimano PDM324s.

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Similar Products Used:   Shimano PDM324 Multipurpose pedal

Submitted by Steve a Cross Country Rider from Salt lake City, UT, USA

Date Reviewed: March 19, 2001

Strengths:    Cheap, might be good for first time users only.

Weaknesses:    I rode the pedals down my driveway after mounting them, and I could tell I just threw 25 bucks down the crapper. Tightest tension setting is not enough, sloppy feel, cleats seem to have too much play, not a good fit. Any off road riding and you will unrack.

Bottom Line:
Not worth it. I could take a dump in a box, sell it to you for half the price and you'd have the same result. I buy a lot of Nashbar stuff and I am typically happy, but this time I got the shaft.

Favorite Trail:   Porcupine Rim

Purchased At:   Nashbar On line

Bike Setup:   Specialized, Stumpjumper, XT, XTR, Judy XC's.

Submitted by Trevor a Cross Country Rider from Newton, NJ, USA

Date Reviewed: July 21, 2000

Strengths:    Look cool,
Depending on use, not entirely too heavy

Weaknesses:    The traction pins fell out
The retention system wore out after under 10 rides, i was starting to pull out after only 2 or 3, and they were toast by 8. you had to put them so tight not to pull out by accident that you coulnt unclip
They are also hard to clip into if your shoes have toe spikes.

Bottom Line:
They are cheap, but they sacrafice a lot of quality. I would advise that if you are looking for a pedal in this style you save up and get a more expensive pair, I have friends who have very good luck with the shimano ones of the style.
Somebody who doesn't go real hardcore and only rides occasionaly or someone who is looking for a pair that they will be using the outer cage more than spd.