Nashbar Pedals Older Pedals

4.28/5 (201 Reviews)

Nashbar Pedals

Submitted by scott Peterson a Cross Country Rider from rkfd il

Date Reviewed: October 11, 2002

Strengths:    Durable,Reliable

Weaknesses:    Can have mud problems

Bottom Line:
Some of the best money I ever spent on my bike .I have used these pedals for 4 years,they have been great.I rarely ride in mud, but when I have trouble seemed to vary alot from ride to ride .depends on conditions and type of mud.
First of all,I always use a wax based lube on the outside of the pedal (I use White Lightning).I ride alot, so that could be 2 or 3 times a week.Buildup should be left on ,dirt does not stick to it.I might wash it off after a couple of months if it looks too bad.
It is very easy to grease these pedals, just take a hex wrench and unscrew the cap on the outside of the axle. Fill it with grease , screw it back in , and the new grease forces out the old grease.Could not be easier or better!Disclaimers:I dont ride in mud often.I only race occaisionally.I do ride fast on rocky,rooted, bumpy trails but dont do big drops or freeride.I weigh 170 lbs dressed to ride.
I just bought the M7's recently to replace them, but only because Im concerned about metal fatigue-how long can a $30.00 pedal last?4000 miles is not bad, in my book.Ill put them on my spare bike .

Favorite Trail:   Rock Cut,Kettle Moraine

Similar Products Used:   Shimano 747,Wellgo M7

Bike Setup:   Cdale M500,Manitou,blah blah

Submitted by mike young a Cross Country Rider from Austin,TX

Date Reviewed: October 4, 2002

Strengths:    Easy in, easy out. Noticeable "click" when engaged, after being broke in they are a snap to get out of. In fact, in emergency situations I was out before I knew it.

Weaknesses:    Not the best in muddy situations, especially that "black clay" crap. Loosened up once ever so slightly, but I don't think I tightened them enough, so I can't blame the pedals. Cleats are this pedal specific, and I was shorted one when they arrived. I called Nashbar and they sent me a new set w/o charge.

Bottom Line:
I bought these as my first clipless because spending $50-$100 on a pair of pedals I wasn't sure I was even going to like seemed like a dumb idea to me. And after riding them for about an hour I took a spill and seperated my shoulder. Everyone said get rid of the pedals but after I got used to them I don't want to ever go back to platforms(with or without clips)or caged pedals. Like I said, for $20 I have already got my moneys worth and figure I will continue until they wear out or break, and I might just buy another pair then.

Favorite Trail:   Walnut Creek

Purchased At:   Nashbar.com

Similar Products Used:   None, this is my first pair of clipless.

Bike Setup:   Jamis Durango SX, mostly stock, with assorted goodies

Submitted by jumpman23_217 a Cross Country Rider from zanesville, oh

Date Reviewed: September 1, 2002

Strengths:    easy to clip in and out, light, cheap, held up great, etc

Bottom Line:
ive tried other nashbar products and have not really had success with them altho there not the worst...for some reason these pedals top any pedal ive tried...i have been using them for the past oh lets say 5 or 6 years...i got them when they 1st came out and they were 25$ for the pedal and shoe combo...belive it or not i still have the shoes too....i mean ive used these in sticky, smelly, thick mud...runny mud, sand, snow, gravel, rocks, horse crap, and so on...and these things have held up...i have bashed them against rocks, stuck them down in the mud, been in streams, and they work like the day i bought them...honeslty i only wash them out and grease them liek once a year and they still work like a charm...i can clip in and out super easy no matter what kinda junk i got on the bottom of my shoe...i have used them on so many short medium and long rides it not even funny...i wouldnt say they are high tech ...but the work like hell and are durable...these are the most durable part ive had on any of my bikes...i mean when i baash them aganst rocks the blue color doesnt even come off...i noticed they are a liitle more expensive these days...i would buy them again is i was looking fora ped...btw these peds are excatly like welgo's which i have and they are much better and cheaper. bottom line is i wish ever thing on my bike would last thins long. be this cheap, and work this well.

Favorite Trail:   chimney rock (bridgewater, nj)

Similar Products Used:   shims, welgo

Bike Setup:   kona kula

Submitted by Andrew a Weekend Warrior from Brooklyn, NY, USA

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2002

Strengths:    They are metal

Weaknesses:    POS from the get go.

Bottom Line:
This is my first pair of SPD pedals. They suck from the get go. Its painfully hard to clip in and now they are broken. I cant clip out of the left pedal with out a screwdriver. POS from the start. Dont buy these. Go with Shimanos.

Favorite Trail:   streets of brooklyn

Bike Setup:   Old Cannondale MTB

Submitted by KJ a Cross Country Rider from Madison, Wisconsin

Date Reviewed: August 9, 2002

Strengths:    They're cheap and they work.

Weaknesses:    Mostly work in mud, but cleaning them out is a pain.

Bottom Line:
Decent cheap pedals. No reason to replace them after 2500 miles. After trying some poorly adjusted pedals on new bikes (replacing the Bianchi), I really appreciate how these things work when you're pedalling and let you out when things get hairy. Biggest gripe: you need a hammer and chisel to clean dried mud out from around the springs.

Favorite Trail:   CamRock

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Similar Products Used:   Plenty of Look road cleats. ;)

Bike Setup:   All-steel Bianchi

Submitted by PAR a Cross Country Rider from LA

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2002

Strengths:    Price, Performance

Weaknesses:    Pedal frame wears quickly

Bottom Line:
I've used Shimano for several years because they came with previous bikes and I was comfortable with them. My new bike didn't have pedals so I bought these because they were cheap. I had trouble getting in them at first but no problems now. There is a little more movement with these but no biggie. They aren't better than the shimanos I've used but are just good and a lot cheaper. The only thing you pay for with shimano is the name.

Favorite Trail:   Lincoln Park

Purchased At:   nashbar.com

Similar Products Used:   Shimano

Submitted by Mark a Cross Country Rider from Ashland, VA

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2002

Strengths:    clip in/out as told

Weaknesses:    I could save 6 grams (wow) and buy Shimano 959 for only $70 more... or even better, spend only $35 more and ADD 67 grams for Times...

Bottom Line:
Have ridden these exclusively in all conditions for 4 years - dry, wet, mud, snow. Just finished 24HRSofAdrenalin in Massachusetts on June 30 (2-man). Much roots, rocks, and muddy sections - I dismounted and walk/run through some of the mud... cleaned shoes/cleats once during the race and never had a problem with them... sure, I had to step down into them with a little gusto when muddy, but they have always clicked in when I wanted and release when twisted out.
I spray them off with hose when they are muddy - have done it 4 years and never overhauled them.
Will buy another set if these ever wear out!

Favorite Trail:   Poor Farm Park

Similar Products Used:   shimano

Bike Setup:   two wheels, gears, brakes - seat on top, wheels on bottom - full XT (except pedals!)

Submitted by Nick a Cross Country Rider from Belchertown, MA

Date Reviewed: June 3, 2002

Strengths:    half as espensive as anything else.
Easy to clip in/out.
Work fine in mud (so far)

Weaknesses:    Cleats wear down quickly. Unexpected release = danger.

Bottom Line:
These were my first clipless pedals and I would recommend them to anyone that was considering going clipless. They improved my riding 20% in the first week. However, Im starting to think I should have save up a little more and gotten some better pedals. I took my friends bike for a ride and his Shimano 747's felt 10 times as solid, even with my half worn out Nashbar cleats. These pedals are starting to develop a habit of releasing at the worst possible times, like right before the steepest part of a rocky downhill when you are going extremely fast. I havent gotten hurt yet, so they still get 3 chillis. I guess you get what you pay for. These pedals will definitely improve your ride, but save up and at least get the $30 Nashbar pedals.

Favorite Trail:   M&M

Similar Products Used:   Shimano 747's

Bike Setup:   01 Rockhopper mostly stock except Manitou X-vert (sweet), Avid brakes, Nashbar pedals.

Submitted by RT a Cross Country Rider from Denton, TX, USA

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2002

Strengths:    Cheap and they work so far. No problems getting in or out of them. Durable, they have taken the abuse of getting bashed into rocks and logs.

Weaknesses:    Only that bit of rust showing up where the cleats rub them.

Bottom Line:
These are essentially wellgo pedals. They even came with a wellgo sticker in the box. These pedals are cheap and durable.

Favorite Trail:   anywhere

Similar Products Used:   none, first time clipless

Bike Setup:   2000 rockhopper

Submitted by lo_dee a Cross Country Rider from Alberta,Canada

Date Reviewed: May 12, 2002

Strengths:    Durable, adjustable, lotsa colors, cheap, relatively light

Weaknesses:    Price of replacement cleats

Bottom Line:
This is the best value purchase I have made for my bike. The pedals continue to spin freely, the springs are still holding and most of the paint is even still on. You can't go wrong here...spend a few dollars and see for yourself.

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager RE-1 (crap), Sun/Ringle ZuZu's (even worse)

Submitted by al a Cross Country Rider from denton

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2002

Strengths:    Cheap, works well, no maintenance rqd

Weaknesses:    I've broken two of them

Bottom Line:
Very good value, but I keep breaking part of the release mechanism. I don't know if it's from an impact, corrosion, or just use.

Favorite Trail:   Pike's Peak

Submitted by andy a Weekend Warrior from kingston, PA

Date Reviewed: March 27, 2002

Strengths:    no maintenance needed, not too heavy, very positive engagement & release

Weaknesses:    one pedal does not spin as freely as it should

Bottom Line:
I have had these pedals since 1999, they have been whacked of of rocks and still come back for more. I recently bought a set of shimano 515's and returned them after trying to get out of them. these pedals have a smaller amount of float, so they release more positively.

I guess they are made by wellgo, so I know they make good quality pedals

Favorite Trail:   american standard

Similar Products Used:   wellgos, shimano 515's

Bike Setup:   k2 5000 with Z5 air, xt discs, Ti spoked, hope bulb hubs, & hopey steering damper

Submitted by GREG a Weekend Warrior from ST. PAUL, MN, USA

Date Reviewed: February 3, 2002

Strengths:    CHEAP

Weaknesses:    NEITHER ENTRY OR RELEASE IS AS GOOD AS SHIMANO PRODUCTS I HAVE USED. I ALSO WONDER WHAT THE SEALED BEARINGS ARE-MY PEDALS HARDLY EVEN SPIN

Bottom Line:
YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR HERE. THEY ARE NOT AS GOOD AS THE SHIMANO'S I HAVE USED, BUT THEY CERTAINLY BEAT A CONVENTIONAL PEDAL. I GUESS I SURPRISED MYSELF BY RIDING ENOUGH TO NOTICE THAT THEY ARE NOT AS GOOD AS MY SHIMANOS. NOW IT'S TIME TO TRY TIME ATAC...?

Purchased At:   NASHBAR