Look S2X Older Pedals

3.89/5 (18 Reviews)

Look S2X Moab

Submitted by Speedy a Cross Country Rider from Central America

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2002

Strengths:    Wide platform, secure clip in feeling, float or non-float movement, easy tension adjustment, fair weight(420gr.), cool looks, good quality.

Weaknesses:    Cleats attracts any kind of mud, take some practice to get familiar with.

Bottom Line:
This review is for the S2R(acing).
Very smooth piece of equipment even when submerged in mud, dirt or water. Tension adjustment is very easy to set, just one bolt controls both sides.
It takes some time to get use to clipping these pedals. However once familiar with, you love them. My only complain are the cleats. They seem to have a magnet for mud. Anything soft seem to get stuck in those things. Once cleared they never fail to clip in or out. Clipping out requires a strong pull when cleats are dirty. So I wouldn't recommend them for too technical, muddy rides. Better get Shimano 545, 646 or TIME ATACs.

Similar Products Used:   Look SL3. I read so many problems with the SL3 that I decided to return them and go for the S2R.

Bike Setup:   cross country hardtail abused to the extreme.

Submitted by lcunnion a Weekend Warrior from usa

Date Reviewed: August 16, 1999

Strengths:
wide platform makes it possible to ride bike with regular shoes.
easy to setup and use.

Weaknesses:
*many people have confused them with other products.
*they are considered heavy (but what do I care - I don't race)

Bottom Line:
This is my first pair of clipless pedals and so far they have been extremely easy to use (so long as I remain conscious that my feet are attached to the pedals and remember to clip out before a full stop). I've only owned these pedals for a short time, but so far i'm extremely satisfied (especially because I bought them for $40). However, if any problems arise, I may ammend my review later.NOTE: unfortanatly, due to SEVERE abuse by people posting reviews, this products rating suffers. this is NOT the same as the SL3 or the WHATEVER-ROAD-PEDALS-YOU-DON'T-ENJOY. It would be helpful if people who own pedals other than the S2s posted reviews in their pedals respective section.

less than 1 month

94 Stumpjumper
Cannondale Arago shoes
LX Crankset

Submitted by Dennis a weekend warrior from Alexandria, Virginia

Date Reviewed: September 12, 1998

Bottom Line:

I bought a pair of Look 296 Road pedals this year. I believe they are the worst pedals I have ever had!! The tension adjustment is at the lowest setting and they are next to impossible to exit from. If you get any dirt (even a micron or so) they stick and become noisy. These things cost $179.00 and are not worth.10cents. I will not buy any look products again.Performance makes a comparable pedal for a lot less. The performance pedals are great!! DO NOT BUY THE LOOK PEDALS unless you like throwing money away. I would give the look pedals 0 chili's but it is not listed.

Submitted by BAC a cross-country rider from Los Angeles, CA

Date Reviewed: May 22, 1998

Bottom Line:

Well, after wiping out twice today because I couldn't get outta these friggin' things, I can hardly rave. I've hard these pedals for about six months, tried on every single setting, with two pair of shoes and...Forget it. They stick. They stick. They stick.They stink. They stink. They stink.If you're not doing technical stuff, sure they'll work. And sure, ya come out on those ultra-dangerous death-is-near falls (what aren't you going to come out of when you're torquing over your handlebars at forty miles an hour?!) but what about the little bumps? Ya know, the unexpected bastards that stall you out of nowhere and oh crap-you-need-gravity-assistance-pronto?Forget it. Knee, meet ground. Well. Garbage can, meet Look pedals.Two chilis. Why not one? 'Cause at least they're big enough to ride like tricyle pedals when you're 1/2 way down the trail and you're so sick of 'em and you just want to get home so ya can dial up mtbr.com and scream bloddy murder.

Submitted by Gideon a weekend warrior from Haifa, Israel

Date Reviewed: April 22, 1998

Bottom Line:

I bought a pair of the new SL3 which are supposed to be lighter, improved SL2. I gave up after crashing for two months on every tough spot because I could not get out. Getting in was not easy either. It was like looking for a light switch in the dark. I thought it was me, since those were my first clipless. Then I tried Shimano's 747. Just perfect...

Submitted by Nate a cross-country rider from WI

Date Reviewed: March 2, 1998

Bottom Line:

I got my pedals as a replacement for some Times! I just couldn't feel like I had a stable platform with the lateral float of the Times. Problem solved with the huge size of the looks. It's enough to make you forget all about the weight. Oh yeah, if I'm going to lose 50 grams off of my bike, I think I'll lose 10 pounds off of myself first. If only the Looks could match the Times in the mud!

Submitted by Dissappointed Owner a racer from Nashville Tenesse

Date Reviewed: February 5, 1998

Bottom Line:

These pedals are the heaviest pieces of junk that you could attach to your bike besides a slab of concrete. 400 grams is just too heavy for a XC pedal. Try the Shimano 747's because they are the best all around pedals. They are light, easy to get in and out and are used by all of the pros. These pedals are junk.

Submitted by JHK a cross-country rider from Lubock, TX

Date Reviewed: January 21, 1998

Bottom Line:

Had a pair of the S2Rs for three years. No maintenance, besides normal
cleaning and greasing. Cleats last a long time. Clipping in is simple and
secure. The tension adjustment is easy to use. The pedals held up to a lot of
miles. Changed to Time ATACs due to good deal at LBS. If you are looking for
a dependable pedal, these will do a great job.

Submitted by Bondo a cross-country rider from Northeast US

Date Reviewed: September 13, 1997

Bottom Line:

Simply the best. They are light, easy to get in and out, and both sides adjust with one allen screw. The tighter I set them the more responsive they are. I took a serious digger over the bars the other day, just after cranking the tension. Just as my IBOC went from hoizontal to vertical with my rear wheel directly above the front, I clipped out and saved face (literally). After riding them for a month now, I don't think about them anymore. I just enjoy the ride. Get them. Put them on your road bike too!

Submitted by PhIL a cross-country rider from vancouver, b.c.

Date Reviewed: August 9, 1997

Bottom Line:

anyone want to buy a used set of 747's, cheap?

Submitted by Jason Hawley a cross-country rider from Ottawa, Canada

Date Reviewed: July 28, 1997

Bottom Line:

I've put 3500 kms on my Moabs.
They work now as good as when I bought them new.
What more is there to say? They're big and they take a beating.

Submitted by Martin a weekend warrior from Prag, Czech republic

Date Reviewed: May 13, 1997

Bottom Line:

Perfect.

Submitted by Peter a weekend warrior from USA

Date Reviewed: May 13, 1997

Bottom Line:

They never fail to release and since they pivot both front and back, you can click in heel first as well as toe first. Also, you can set the tension on both sides with one adjustment

Submitted by Allan Cruz a cross-country rider

Date Reviewed: April 1, 1997

Bottom Line:

You've got to try them to love 'em!!! It takes a little time to get used to
clipping in due to the wide platform base, but once you're used to them, they
won't let you down in any type of riding condition You'll love the feel of
increase power transfer due to the wide platform base. That's why I own two
of them!

Submitted by Jean-Sebastien Lesieur a cross-country rider from Quebec, Canada

Date Reviewed: March 2, 1997

Bottom Line:

I've tried the rest, but these are simply the BEST! Got the S2R for 2 years and they are much better than the '737, '747 or Onza IMHO. Really confortable. Weight? who care about the weight?