Look Moab Older Pedals

4.38/5 (16 Reviews)

Look S2R Moab

Submitted by Simon Davis from Yackandandah Australia

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2004

Strengths:    very positive click in ,strong but rounded dont catch on rocks, well made,good tension control, easy, smooth and reliable release with large cleat, from front and back with any twist of foot

Weaknesses:    difficult to find no longer made- LOOK must be stupid

Bottom Line:
IMHO the best pedal ever made

Favorite Trail:   rowdy flat of course

Purchased At:   gift

Similar Products Used:   Shimano Wellgo

Bike Setup:   Specialized Enduro coil rear shock + sherman fork, bashguard,SRAM rockets

Submitted by Jeff Burke a Cross Country Rider from Canada

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2003

Strengths:    Good platform. Very stable. Very easy to engage. I haver never had an issue getting out of these. I really like how they feel under hard pedaling. Very secure.

Weaknesses:    I don't want to give them up, but I need new cleats. Parts seem hard to find.

Bottom Line:
This is the best pedal I have ever used. I am dreading going to another pedal when I can't get parts. Too bad they didn't keep going with this system.

Favorite Trail:   hardwood Hills

Purchased At:   NASHBAR

Similar Products Used:   Coda, Shimano.

Bike Setup:   Cannondale F1000, full xt, mavic cross roc, Avid V's, race face drivetrain, Panaracer Fire XC pro.

Submitted by Eric a Weekend Warrior from St. Louis, MO

Date Reviewed: September 23, 2001

Strengths:    Quality build, an absolute breeze to get in and out.

Weaknesses:    Weight, but these are comparable to other "great" pedals, like the Time.

Bottom Line:
This was my first foray into clipless. Since I have a tendency to want one foot loose on the loose, gravely, downhill, I was looking for a pedal that still offered some platform, without the full bulk and weight of a platform pedal.

These are a great compromise and a snap to get in and out. The foot just seems to snap right in.

Quality seems great, can't comment on mud shedding yet. I do love the quality of the spindle and bearings, quiet and smoot.

Favorite Trail:   A bad day on any trail beats a good day at work.

Purchased At:   Cambria Bicycle Outfitters

Bike Setup:   Cannondale F700

Submitted by Matt a Weekend Warrior from Ogden,UT

Date Reviewed: March 30, 1999

Strengths:
Wide platform to stand on. Secure binding but still allows you to release your foot quickly if needed.

Weaknesses:
None other than they could have been a little lighter. If you look at other pedals though this one offers so much more so I figure a little more weight won't hurt anything.

Bottom Line:
These pedals are great at what they do. I love how big they are and how easy it is to release from them. I was reluctant to try clipless pedals before I got these but I decided to go for it after seeing them on sale for $50. Pretty much maintenence free except for the occasional lube of the cleat. Completly sealed spindle assembly.

more than 3 years

Ritchy Pedals

Specialized Stumpjumper M2

Submitted by bikersomeone a cross-country rider from usa

Date Reviewed: March 12, 1999

Bottom Line:

These pedals are difficult to clip into. Shimano 747 is twice as easy. This pedal offers a larger platform, but I still like my 747 better! I am also a alpine ski racer, even with this experience I find it more difficult to clip into than shimano, I think it is in the cleat design, Minus a Star.

Submitted by Jim a cross-country rider from Novato

Date Reviewed: January 17, 1999

Bottom Line:

Absolutely the best pedal that I have tried, far superior to Shimano. Great in mud, always clicks in, nice large platform. I'm not sure if they are still being made, but if they are, get them, ride them, love them!

Submitted by Tim Petersen a cross-country rider from Denmark

Date Reviewed: September 16, 1998

Bottom Line:

These pedals are great. Very good in mud, and very reliable at any conditions. I have used mine about a year, and they are still perfect, despite they rought treating I give them. Like Look's racingpedals, the MTB-pedals just works fantastic. They are easy to maintain. Forget Shimano, Look rules!!

Submitted by pHil a cross-country rider from vancouver, b.c.

Date Reviewed: August 9, 1997

Bottom Line:

anyone want to buy a set of 747's, cheap?

Submitted by JASON RERRAS a weekend warrior from NORFOLK, VA

Date Reviewed: February 22, 1997

Bottom Line:

THESE ARE GREATEST PEDALS ON EARTH. I'V TRIED 747'S BUT I HATED THEM. YOU CAN CLICK IN FROM THE FRONT OR BACK, AND THEY HAVE ALMOST NO FLOAT. YOU CAN COVER THEM IN MUD AND STILL CLICK IN, WHICH IS GREAT FOR WHEN YOU RACE AND DON'T HAVE TIME TO CLEAR THEM OUT. THEY ALSO HAVE A LARGE PLATFORM SO YOU CAN STILL STAND ON THEM OVER BUMPY STUFF IF YOU DON'T HAVE TIME TO CLICK IN IN A RACE SO YOU WON'T FALL OFF, THAT'S A PLUS FOR RACING. THE VISUAL TENSION METER IS ALSO COOL. THEY ARE A BIT HEAVY BUT WORTH IT.

Submitted by stephen Workman from weekend warrior

Date Reviewed: November 23, 1996

Bottom Line:

Owned a pair for 2 years. Think I impacted the inside of the cleats on reocks too often. Ovalized the holes that the axles for the relewase mechanism insert into. End result: Ppedal is now longer than cleat.Great product otherwise I found. Good in mud, secure and safe. I bought another pair cause I still had one that worked.

Submitted by Dave Wiesenhahn a racer from Springield VA

Date Reviewed: November 10, 1996

Bottom Line:

I've used Ritchey's, Look S2R's, and Tioga's. The Looks are the easiest to clip in - just drag your foot across from back to front and you'll be in, which I thinkis caused by their wide cleat design (compare it to the Ritchey's). Very durable. Mud performance is good, but not exceptional: there have been times when things have gotten gummed up. Their only drawback is their weight; otherwise I would've given them 5 stars.

Submitted by Scott a weekend warrior from Westtown, NY

Date Reviewed: August 5, 1996

Bottom Line:

These pedals are my first clipless pedals and i love them. I don't know what that naci was saying but these things perform very well in mud and other conditions. Even after being completley submerged in mud they still perform flawlessly. Not only that but these things are tough, i've smashed them into rocks and took a few chunks out of them and they still work like new. A great investment, the wieght is well worth the durability.

Submitted by Mo Yeh a cross-country rider from Columbus, OH

Date Reviewed: July 24, 1996

Bottom Line:

They're a bit heavy, but they're absolutely bulletproof, a testament
to Look quality. They're easy to adjust, though the Moab's may be a
little hard to get out for beginners... try the S2X's. They're
identical except for a weaker spring. Click in/out is very solid, to
say the least. I don't often get the chance to ride in heavy mud, but
light mud has no effect at all on this pedal. The cleat contact area
is big, so it's much moe comfy and feels more secure than SPD's. The
Look spindle/bearing assembly is also very reliable. Mine are going
into their second year, and they feel better than new. Lots of pros
ride the S2R's too, a few without much apparent sponsorship.

Submitted by Dave a weekend warrior from SF

Date Reviewed: June 7, 1996

Bottom Line:

Look SR2 Moabs have performed very well everywhere I have been, and are really low maintenance. They are sort of heavy, but are very wide and give alot of support. I thnk they're good for wide feet.

Submitted by Nanci Pass a weekend warrior from San Jose, CA

Date Reviewed: March 31, 1996

Bottom Line:

These were my first clipless pedals and I have many scars to show for
the brief time that I had them before switching to Ritchey's. In mud
they were awful, as soon as any dirt got into the mechanism or the cleat
there was no way to click in - or if I was clicked in they wouldn't release.
In perfectly dry, clean conditions they worked fine, but that's hard to
find and isn't much fun.

pads for moab?

I am going to moab in september, do I need some kind of padding?Read More »

Want to buy a BME Moab entry

Please PM me if you have an entry you would like to sell, Thanks.Read More »

Moab Tires

I am going to telluride and moab....what are the best tires to use? My bike comes with Maxxis HRollers II but those are very heavy. I am between Nobby Nics SS 2.35 or Pacenti Neo Moto 2.3... Or just keep the Maxxis...Any thoughts? Also I have ENVE AM rims....will they hold up at The Whole Enchil ... Read More »

X-post : Some Moab stoke .........Captain Ahab

Back in may a few of us made a trip to moab and of course we had to ride Captain Ahab while we were there . This is the end of our 17 mile ride for the day so fatigue was an issue . We rode up Amasa back, to pothole arch , to rockstacker , back to Amasa , down all of Ahab . This video is just the ah ... Read More »