Kore Pedals Older Pedals

2.85/5 (81 Reviews)

Kore Pedals

Submitted by JIm Lavin a Cross Country Rider from Austin, TX USA

Date Reviewed: April 26, 2005

Strengths:    cheap, no springs--uses an elastomer insteat to provided necessary tension on cleat. I have had absolutely no problems getting in or out. These are secure.

Weaknesses:    No longer made--stopped in 01. An inherant design flaw-- curved part from strike plate where rear elastomer sits consists of 2 2cm aluminum peices. I have broken 4 of these now.

Bottom Line:
Dont think you can even buy these anymore. If you can, buy a couple pairs because you will be replacing parts once a year. They sell cheap though.

Favorite Trail:   barton creek greenbelt, hartmans rocks

Purchased At:   pricepoint.com

Similar Products Used:   shimano 737'a

Bike Setup:   giant hardtail, 100mm travel front fork, raceface crankset, shimano lx drive train

Submitted by P-Man a Weekend Warrior from Melbourne, AUSTRALIA

Date Reviewed: November 29, 2003

Strengths:    Light, good float.

Weaknesses:    No compatability

Bottom Line:
Not sure what all the criticism is about below. Possibly they all relate to the older model which Kore confessed to having problems. I've got the new version, and must say these are easy to get out of, with a nice positive click in & out. For the same price as bottom of the line SPD's, these rock !

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Shimano

Bike Setup:   Giant dualie

Submitted by Pat a Weekend Warrior from new jersey

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2002

Strengths:    degree of movement, easy to get out, very adjustable..

Weaknesses:    need locktite on screws

Bottom Line:
For 39 bucks you can't go wrong. I have the Ti spindle and have no problem getting in or out.. I found out to get in I come in on an angle, not straight in.

Favorite Trail:   chimney rock

Purchased At:   cambria

Bike Setup:   2003 tassajara

Submitted by Steve a Cross Country Rider from ridgefield,ct. fairfield

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2002

Strengths:    The degree of movement wen clipped in

Weaknesses:    hard to lock in

Bottom Line:
I road them hard to day on some serious single track and put them through a tough day. I had problems getting into them at first. There different the my old pedals. I had NO PROBLEMS GETTING OUT! There was some decent movement when clipped in. I liked them today. I would not use them for serious racing. There good enough for me.

Similar Products Used:   Tioga clipman2 pedals

Bike Setup:   Giant XtC SE2

Submitted by Brett from Oakland

Date Reviewed: July 5, 2002

Strengths:    light weight, smooth bearings

Weaknesses:    permanent scarring, inability to release

Bottom Line:
if you get these for free you are still spending too much. i loathe these pedals' existance. i too filed the cleats, lubed them, etc and still they dont release when they need to. im going to bury these in an unmarked grave and get some speedplay frogs

Favorite Trail:   anything i can go fast on

Purchased At:   i got these pieces from a friend

Similar Products Used:   shimano 646, wellgo 535, flats

Bike Setup:   '99 M2 frame with '01 s-works wheels, xtr brakes and rear derailleur, xt front and shifters, marzocchi z 3.5

Submitted by Evan from Austin tx usa

Date Reviewed: April 19, 2002

Strengths:    Cheap

Weaknesses:    They totaly suck. You can not get out of these. I filed them, lubed the cleats and gave them time but they just plain suck.
My to clips are way better!

Bottom Line:
DO NOT BUY THESE PIECES OF CRAP. You will be scared of clipless pedals if these are your first.

Favorite Trail:   Barton Creek Greenbelt,Rocky hill ranch

Purchased At:   pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   Toe clips wich rule for freeriding

Bike Setup:   2001 Giant ranier se with Marzocchi wedge

Submitted by Mat a Cross Country Rider from Hershey, PA

Date Reviewed: January 26, 2002

Strengths:    they looked good in the advertisement.

Weaknesses:    From the start these pedals sucked. I could barely get into them. And once I did the axles were so short that my shoes rubbed against my crank. I never even got them out on a ride.

Bottom Line:
Don't waste your money. There's a reason they are 70% off online and they still haven't sold out.

Purchased At:   price point

Similar Products Used:   747's, 535's

Bike Setup:   XTR, Mavic 217's

Submitted by Brett from Oakland, CA

Date Reviewed: November 17, 2001

Strengths:    light weight, freely spinning bearings

Weaknesses:    wierd cleat, initial product usage is tricky

Bottom Line:
at first the pedals were unbelievably hard to get in and out of. then i decided to use my brain and prematurely break them in. I took my nice round file and took a little bit off the rear pivot in 3 places: the top(where you would be stepping in from), and both the side pivots on the inside(so it is possible to twist and release). i also filed away a little bit on the corresponding parts of teh cleats and now they work just like, or better than, SPD's. You just have to manually break them in....no big deal

Purchased At:   got from a friend

Similar Products Used:   various shimano and shimano knockoffs

Submitted by Justin a Cross Country Rider from Boston

Date Reviewed: October 15, 2001

Strengths:    Once clipped in tight power transfer, sweet spinning bearings.

Weaknesses:    Once clipped in (not an easy feet) you're never getting out, ouch. Unique cleat design results in compatability issues with multiple bikes.

Bottom Line:
So I locked up my chain on Saturday going to smallest front ring, under power (poor planning), on a technical section of climb. I couldn't get my damn foot out of the pedal, I tipped right over, right knee came down hard (along with the rest of me) on the rocky section I was slowly picking my way through. And my feet were still engaged! They're down right dangerous. Too bad, because they have the potential to be a great pedal, love them when I'm locked in. Fortunately didn't waste too much money on these suckers, I'm cutting my losses, can't resell in good conscience. They're also tough to get into. Unclip to tripod down a tricky slope and spend the rest of the descent trying to get back in. Shimano SPD's I had before engaged and released fine, looks like they're going back on. Don't buy these. I'm going to disassemble mine and spread the parts to the farthest reaches of the world to try and ensure they can never do harm to another living soul.

Favorite Trail:   Nothing 'round the City

Purchased At:   Price Point

Similar Products Used:   Various shimano spd nock offs

Bike Setup:   DNA Ti hardtail, mix components

Submitted by chris a Cross Country Rider from nb, ct, usa

Date Reviewed: September 4, 2001

Strengths:    cost $20

Weaknesses:    fell apart these r the bigest POS i ever used

Bottom Line:
DONT BUY

Similar Products Used:   time

Submitted by Mark Davis a Racer from Horsham, West Sussex, UK

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2001

Strengths:    Look good

Weaknesses:    Getting in and out is unbearably difficult

Bottom Line:
I cannot recommend these pedals. I would caution anyone considering purchasing them. I cannot get in and out of them satisfactorily. It is impossible to race with them.
I have thousands of clipless pedal miles in my legs and I have never come across such an inept product.
I took my local bike shops advice and I've regretted it from the first moment I rode with these pedals.
I want to kick myself!! I researched every other component poring for hours over this site and its reviews. A spur of the moment decision, influenced by my LBS made me purchase these pedals.
I wish I'd seen all of the negative reviews before i bought them.
Shame on you Kore. BOO HOO.

Favorite Trail:   South Downs UK

Purchased At:   LBS Horsham

Similar Products Used:   Time ATAC, Wellgo platforms and Look road pedals

Bike Setup:   Lightweight hardtail XC

Submitted by PAUL a Cross Country Rider from ONTARIO

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2001

Strengths:    light weight
inexpensive

Weaknesses:    screws can come loose
takes time to get dialed in.
have a short life span compared to other products

Bottom Line:
well this is the second set of kore pedals that i have owned. i bought the Ti versions this time- they have a longer axle than my previous chromoly. i destroyed my last pair. the screws kept coming loose after about 2 years of riding-too short of life span. however they have worked great for me- they were a little sticky to get out of at first however 10 mins of clipping in/out plus some tension adjusting and the pedals worked excellent. they are extremely light- somewhere around 260grams per pair.
if the screws hold in place for these pedals i can see them lasting another 2 years. well at least there are cheap to buy.
however Kore web page states they stopped making these pedals in 2000.
not great - not bad but a decent pedal at a resonable price

Purchased At:   cambriabike

Submitted by Craig a Cross Country Rider from Canada

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2001

Strengths:    When your in your in.

Weaknesses:    When your in you can't get out.

Bottom Line:
I love the feel of the peddle under my feet. They give a good sized platform to stand on. The major problem with them is when you clip in, you aint ever gettin out. Trust me I learned the hard way. If you have the old ones (like I do) try to find out what you can do to fix them. I would highly sujest getting the newer model that does not have this problem.

Favorite Trail:   Pontiac Lake

Purchased At:   Price Point

Bike Setup:   Manitou Hardtail. Full XT, Race Face rings, Qranc bars and stem, ODI Lockjaw grips (the bomb), Titec beserker DH saddle with seatpost.

Submitted by luze one a Cross Country Rider from ny.ny

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2001

Strengths:    "Sweet work to all the people at KORE for making such a sweet inexpensive Ti spindle delight"

Weaknesses:    takes a lil time to get dialed in but once its set.....See Ya' beeatch!!

Bottom Line:
take out the seeds!!!

Favorite Trail:   Palisades nj

Purchased At:   cambria.com

Similar Products Used:   MANY!!

Bike Setup:   Jamis XT/XTR..blunts!

Submitted by george a Cross Country Rider from NYC

Date Reviewed: June 28, 2001

Strengths:    this pedal takes some getting used to but its not the old one everyone keeps ripping on its the redesigned 2001 titanium spindle pedal.

Weaknesses:    cheap paint, cleat ONLY FITS THIS PEDAL

Bottom Line:
This pedal works very well for me. It took some getting used to but its worked in beautifully and I have a lot of confidence in it now. The older GASS pedals have a lip on the outside of the spindle that prevents ejection of the cleat. YOU CAN FILE THIS DOWN AND FIX IT. I just got the new ones, 2001 with titanium spindle. THey are supremely light and easy to rebuild.