Icon solemates Older Pedals

icon solemates

Submitted by Robert a Cross Country Rider from Leicester uk

Date Reviewed: September 25, 2002

Strengths:    compact, smooth bearings, fairly light

Weaknesses:    clipping out of these is a struggle *warning: may break your arm *see below

Bottom Line:
these spud's are dangerous man, i mean they just wouldn't bed in after time and clipping out was like trying to free your feet from a mantrap. Ive changed the cleats and 'filed' away at them to try and get some freedom but it didnt work. Couldnt free my feet and fell sideways many times smashing my arms...... im going back to good old cage and straps. f**k these

Favorite Trail:   Iceland

Purchased At:   mail order

Similar Products Used:   good old fashioned cage and straps

Bike Setup:   Viper f-40 elite frame (www.woollyhatshop.com), wieniemen 512 rims, Panracer smoke, avid sd 2.0 brakes, shimano stx groupset, Bomber Z4's

Submitted by Kevin a Cross Country Rider from Santa Rosa

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2002

Bottom Line:
This is a follow up to my earlier post. These pedals worked OK on my hybrid, however as I started riding more technical sections on my mountain bike, the screws holding the pedals together worked loose. I tightened them several time, but on one ride, it came loose and I was not able to find all the parts. I replaced these pedals with Bontrager RE-1's which really SUCKED. They were constantly locking up or releasing early. I replaced those pedals with Time ATACs which totally rock. If I knew then what I know now I would say get Time ATACs. They are rock solid, consistent, there are no screws or adjustments and totally bomb proof. They are the one thing on my bike which works perfectly every time and there is no maintenance. I can't imagine why anyone would use anything else.

Submitted by Kelvin a Cross Country Rider from England

Date Reviewed: October 24, 2001

Strengths:    Worked for a while

Weaknesses:    Died a horrific death in a race.

Bottom Line:
The cartridge bearing exploded in a xc race - last lap was spent trying to stop the pedal body sliding outwards and binding on the mashed internals. Before that they ok - but suffered badly in mud.
Buy shimano instead.

Purchased At:   Guildford cycles

Similar Products Used:   Shimano 747

Bike Setup:   Ti, all euro bits

Submitted by Ben a Cross Country Rider from New Mexico

Date Reviewed: September 13, 2001

Strengths:    Durability, color, price, durability

Bottom Line:
I bought these 2 bikes ago and they are still going strong. I've managed to drop a few grams on them over the years by bashing and gashing them on all the rocky trails here. They still work, great. They've outlasted 3 pairs of shoes. Good feel, they'll be on my bike until I have to cut them off with a torch.

Favorite Trail:   Signal Peak Race Course

Purchased At:   Gila Hike & Bike

Similar Products Used:   shimano, time

Bike Setup:   daVinci FS, Icon, Dean, Ame', SRAM, Avid, Cane Creek, IRD, IRC, DT Hugi, Delta, daVinci Designs, Inmotion, Action Tec, Race Face

Submitted by Seth a Cross Country Rider from Federal Way, Wa, USA

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2000

Strengths:    They don't take up too much room in the trash (or landfill)

Weaknesses:    The whole thing

Bottom Line:
If they come stock on your bike see if you can save any money by having the bike shop swap them out with something better. Go with Shimano.

Similar Products Used:   Old school Shimano 737
Shimano 747

Bike Setup:   1999 Trek 7000
Shimano 747 (to replace these)

Submitted by Mike a Cross Country Rider from Regina, Canada

Date Reviewed: March 13, 2000

Strengths:    Cheap
Decently lightweight
Equal to comparable products

Weaknesses:    NOT up to shimano's standard
Screw came loose and pedal fell apart after a year's use

Bottom Line:
These pedals were a good deal ($50 Can. brand new!), and for that price they were worth the money. But I think that the Shimano pedals are worth the premium over cheapies like these, Wellgos and VPs. Clipping in with these pedals is fairly difficult, and as my cleats have rusted it's gotten even harder. Also, you can tell that no one took the trouble to Loctite the screw inside because after a year of riding the screw backed out and I had to salvage the springs and the clip.

Go with Shimano.

Favorite Trail:   White Track

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Full Contact (OEM on my new Stumphumper, a bit better than the Icons)
Shimano 519 (MUCH better)
Shimano 535 (MUCH better, around the same as the 519)

Bike Setup:   '97 Trek 6000 w/lots of upgrades: new crankset, the pedals of course, Ritchey Prolite seat, better tires, Shimano LX V-Brakes, Grip Shift 4.0...

Submitted by Kevin a Cross Country Rider from Santa Rosa

Date Reviewed: March 13, 2000

Bottom Line:
I put over 2000 miles on my 7500 with these pedals and I have had no problems whatsoever; came stock on my 7000 and they have performed well even though I beat the heck out of the bike. I haven't tried any other pedals to compare, but if it ain't broke .....

Bike Setup:   Stock on my Trek 7000; added to my Trek 7500

Submitted by Mike Harris a Racer from Winnipeg,Manitoba,Canada

Date Reviewed: February 6, 2000

Strengths:    i liked the pedals when i got them, and they worked fairly well in all but the muddiest coniditions for about a year, today the clawes that hold the cleat in just snapped on mine

Weaknesses:    they don't lastt more that a year, the claws snap and screws fall out sometimes

Bottom Line:
Buy these is your a recreational rider, but if youir racing don't bother
i'm gonna get me some 858's or tima atac's

Bike Setup:   99' trek 7000, lx,xt, icon

Submitted by - a Cross-Country Rider from -

Date Reviewed: May 15, 1999

Bottom Line:
Fell apart, not worth the distance I could throw them.
Too bad there is not negative stars.

less than 1 month

Submitted by Sean a Cross-Country Rider from ontario

Date Reviewed: March 18, 1999

Strengths:
Works great,easy in and out.

Weaknesses:
haven't had any flaws except for chippable paint, But then who cares?

Bottom Line:
These pedals probably dont cost much.They work as good as any shimanos would. so i say if you want them buy em'and if you dont you shouldnt be reding this.

less than 1 month