Icon Icon Older Pedals

1.67/5 (9 Reviews)

Icon

Submitted by Kyle a Cross Country Rider from Ligonier Pa US

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2003

Strengths:    they looked cool off the bike

Weaknesses:    they start to stick after about 5 months of use then are a complete waste and make sure you dont do any racing with them

Bottom Line:
this a good low end beginner pedal that lasts until you want to upgrade to a more expensive pedal

Favorite Trail:   green briar

Purchased At:   came with bike

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo indy xc fork and velociraptor tires

Submitted by Giuliano a Weekend Warrior from Italy

Date Reviewed: April 29, 2003

Strengths:    Steel is recyclable.

Bottom Line:
These things are dangerous. Not easy to clip in, hard to clip out. Sometimes VERY hard, and when it does happen... well, you know. A little mud is enough to make them work much worse than usual.
They was bundled with my trek bike, I don't know how much I payed for them.

Purchased At:   Trek

Bike Setup:   Rewel titanium frame, Marzocchi Z1FR, Magura Gustav-M, Shimano stuff.

Submitted by gordon a Cross Country Rider from Winnipeg

Date Reviewed: November 16, 2002

Strengths:    None that I Know of.

Weaknesses:    Fell apart often, rust, plastic pieces broke, left side made an horible sound.

Bottom Line:
Crap, I consider these pedals the weakest part of a well made bike. Will look for a better product for my bike this winter.

Favorite Trail:   Anywhere in France

Purchased At:   Came with bike

Similar Products Used:   First pair owned.

Bike Setup:   Bontrager Privateer S, factory set-up. Mustang rims, Lx Front der. XT Deore sgs rear der. ETC.

Submitted by Fishboy a Cross Country Rider from CO

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2002

Strengths:    I guess I would have to say that for low-end pedals they function more or less. I was able to tolerate them for 3 years without too much pain and maintenance.

Weaknesses:    Never really smooth clipping in or out. Bearings are not smooth at all -they spin fairly rough. For some reason the pedal/spindles are not reverse threaded -on several occasions the pedal simply fell off of the spindle. The last time this happened, I lubed the threads lightly and proceeded to tighten the pedal onto the spindle. With very little effort I managed to strip the spindle threads (they're plastic). Oh well, I was ready for new pedals anyway.

Bottom Line:
Spend a little more and get something that works better. Although, if you've never ridden clipless, these are cheap and at least you won't realize exactly how lame they really are compared to better pedals.

Favorite Trail:   McKenzie River Trail

Purchased At:   Came with bike

Similar Products Used:   Victors, Shimano PD-m515

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher Big Sur

Submitted by Donald a Cross Country Rider from Nashville, TN

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2002

Strengths:    When I had to get out I could get out. Took a beating and never failed in 2 years and I beat the tar out of them

Weaknesses:    With regular Shimano cleats they just did not seem to work well. Sometimes it could be hard to get in to them, but if you clean and grease them regularly you won’t have any problems.

Bottom Line:
I did not like them at first but when I got some good shoes and Shimano multi release cleats I loved them. (Just crank them down all the way) If a friend of mine had not given me some ATAC’s I would still be using them.

Favorite Trail:   Lock 4

Purchased At:   Jolly Cyclist

Bike Setup:   Trek frame, Bomber fork, XT drive train, XTR brakes, and Bontrager Mustang rims on XT hubs. (you can not break this setup)

Submitted by William Crabtree a Cross Country Rider from Winchester, MA

Date Reviewed: July 21, 2000

Strengths:    Came as a free "specifications subject to change" upgrade on my '98 Gary Fisher Hoo KOO E Koo. Look nice.

Weaknesses:    These pedals ride poorly. I have troulble getting my feet in and I always clip out unwantedly. Clipping out unwantedly makes me unable to ride a technical section successfully. Not being able to clip in is really annoying to when always tryin on steep hills to get started.

Bottom Line:
These pedals are terrible. I do not reccomend buying them. I only tolerate them because they were free. For a similar price get Shimano M535 or M515.

Favorite Trail:   Middlesex Fells

Similar Products Used:   Late model Shimano M373- much nicer

Bike Setup:   '98 Hoo Koo E Koo, STX RC/LX/XT, Indy XC

Submitted by Nate a Racer from Snoqualmie Wa

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2000

Strengths:    None that I can ever remember.

Weaknesses:    These things are weird. I had them for about a month before they started letting go. I would just be riding and pop they fall of. Look elsewhere.

Bottom Line:
What ever you do do not race with these pedals.

Similar Products Used:   747

Bike Setup:   Trek alpha sl frame, xt/xtr build, bomber superfly.

Submitted by Daren a Weekend Warrior from Pullman

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2000

Strengths:    they work well for about 3 months
they come in cool colors

Weaknesses:    after about three months they either let your foot go unexpectedly, or the hold your foot and never let go, both of which are painful
They have no float

Bottom Line:
I bought these because I wanted to buy a cheaper pair of clipless pedals to see if I liked them or not. These were $40. They are worth about $10. They work great for about 3 months. Even though they have no float, they are fairly adjustable, and hold your foot well. After that, they just start sucking. They release your foot at random times (which really hurts while you are in the air), or just latch onto it, and never let go. Even the adjustments stopped working after about 4 months. Do not buy these pedals, it is worth it to pay $60 more for Times.

Similar Products Used:   Time ATAC's

Bike Setup:   Big Sur

Submitted by Carl a racer from MAryland

Date Reviewed: April 17, 1998

Bottom Line:

the first couple days this pedal performs like any other spd type clipless pedal they are mediocre for mud clearing and the 1/2 force in, full force out takes time to get used to the kicker is during a ride one of the pins that holds the springs and other bits and pieces vibrated loose on a ride and now i'm left with a single sided pedal, anyone interested in these Pedal please look somewhere else, oh yeah the bearings blow hard my wellgos held out better

Francis - gregg !how come this keeps popping up every time i hit the mtbr home icon ?

Server Error in '/' Application. A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: ... Read More »

Maxxis Icon eXC/3C, something lighter?

I've been running the 29" Maxxis Icon eXC/3C yellow tape tubeless on Crest rims and am very pleased with this tire. I've got a new build in the works though and I am wondering if there's something lighter than the ~580gr Ikons with similar performance and durability?Read More »

maxis Icon EXO & Mavic 717 rims? Good Tubeless combo?

I wanted to run Maxxis Icon EXO tires and mavic xc717 rims tubeless. Is this a reliable setup? Should I use Stans or is there a better flavor for that combo?Read More »

26er maxxis Icon ?

The 26in version's seem to be hard to find, any source out there that have em? Looking for 2.2's..Read More »

The World Has Lost an Icon....

....with the passing of Joey Vento, owner of my favorite, and only authentic Philadelphia cheesesteak emporium, [I]Geno's Steaks.[/I] Rest in peace brother Joey.Read More »