Continental Leader Pro Tire Older Pedals

3.94/5 (34 Reviews)

Leader Pro 2.0

Submitted by DirtRoadie a Cross Country Rider from Durango, CO

Date Reviewed: November 11, 2001

Strengths:    Light, Works front or rear, Good traction

Weaknesses:    Out of production, was very expensive at full retail

Bottom Line:
An excellent all round tire for X-C riding (and racing) in dry conditions (including steep climbs) except for maybe the deepest and loosest stuff. Rolls well, grippy and very light. Wears well considering the lack of tread. While these were promoted primarily for front use they work equally well on the rear (but reverse the marked direction of rotation i.e. both front and rear tires will be oriented the same) These are my favorite all-around tires. Alas, these are no longer available (which seems to happen to every product that I would buy again)

Bike Setup:   KHS Softail

Submitted by James Dowell a Cross Country Rider from Texas

Date Reviewed: October 31, 2001

Strengths:    Durability, Grip and Rolling Resistance

Weaknesses:    Wet slick areas

Bottom Line:
This is a great tires so long as you stay away from stream riding and slimy areas. I've had mine a long time, raced them for a while, and they are still going. Best attribute is that they stick in the corners and do not lose traction all at once. Very good tire for the experienced rider.

Favorite Trail:   Elfin Forest

Similar Products Used:   Panaracer, Specialized

Bike Setup:   Y-22, AD-10, Mars1, Full XTR...

Submitted by Ben Jensen a Cross Country Rider from Grand Forks, ND, USA

Date Reviewed: January 15, 2000

Strengths:    freagin' light!

Weaknesses:    wear down too fast

Bottom Line:
Great tire, but don't expect to ride on them for long. I've had mine one season, and they're really worn. They slip when climbing, and drillin' hard corners. I plan to replace them with some Panaracer XC Pros. Just because of the light weight, I'll give 'em four chillis.

Favorite Trail:   Andrews Creek (ND Badlands)

Bike Setup:   '99 Gary Fisher Kaitai

Submitted by Kurt a Cross-Country Rider from SF

Date Reviewed: October 13, 1999

Strengths:
fast and light. Great all around tire for xc, trailblazing, downhill.

Weaknesses:
expensive $80 for 2

Bottom Line:
Great fast xc tire. Suprisingly light for a wide 2.0 tire with great down hill handling. Germany seems to design great High performance products.

1 Year

WTB, IRC, Panracer, Tioga, Geax, Dirt Control

have these on both my M4 FSR and Santa Cruz S.light.

Submitted by Mikko Mellin a Weekend Warrior from Finland

Date Reviewed: July 30, 1999

Strengths:
You name it!Everything,exceptional rolling skils,LIGHT weight 495.Exceptional tracking abilitys!

Weaknesses:
Hmmmmmmmm...NONE!!!

Bottom Line:
Rolls faster than my Z-max tires and Z-max are really slippy ones.Also really hard to wear and they are too pretty soft compound so i like to use them in wet and muddy circumstances.495g weight is really good weight for 2.0 width tire wich i think can be used in trial and Dual too!
Only down side is that these are getting collectors items in my country,only few
shops have these anymore :(

1 Year

Dont want to list them.

Dacon frame,DH3 fork,XTR/XT/LX groups.

Submitted by FAT & SLOW a Weekend Warrior from CT

Date Reviewed: June 16, 1999

Strengths:
PRICE, PERFORMANCE

Weaknesses:
WET PERFORMANCE

Bottom Line:
GOOD ALL AROUND TIRE AND A STEAL FOR THE PRICE. THE LEADER IS NOT AS GOOD AS THE JONES IN SUPER SLICK CONDITIONS, BUT I'M VERY HAPPY WITH THEM EVERYWHERE ELSE. I AM GOING TO BUY A SECOND SET (I RUN THE COMP PRO 2 ON THE BACK) WHILE THERE STILL ON SALE!

BLUE TRAIL SYSTEM

3 months

BONTRAGER JONES
SPECIALIZED DIRT MASTER/CONTOL COMP.

KLIEN PULSE COMP W/JUDY T2 WITH 85mm ENGLUND AIR KIT.

Submitted by LUCA a Racer from ITALY

Date Reviewed: May 17, 1999

Strengths:
MOLTO SCORREVOLI,E OTTIMA TENUTA SUL TERRENO DURO

Weaknesses:
FORSE HANNO LA MESCOLA UN PELINO TROPPO DURA

Bottom Line:
VERY GOOD
I'VE JUST BOUGHT THEM ONCE MORE!!!!

PALU'LAKE

2 Years

RITCHEY ZMAX WCS

SCOTT SUPER LITE
LIYANG UL 550 F1

Submitted by patrice denis a cross-country rider from longueuil in canada

Date Reviewed: November 24, 1998

Bottom Line:

That is real fast tire.on hardpack this tire is glued to the trail but in loose soil it lost traction.It impossible to pack this tire in mud but it grip like a slick.It is light and has a great felling on hardpack.In dry condition, it 's an excellent all-around tire,but in wet this tire suck! If you toutch at a single root during a downhill section your are a ded man.It's my favorite tire.Hey! mans and girls, you want a good durable dry tire that broke your collarbone during wet decent? That your tire.Excuse me for my bad english.

Submitted by Dave a racer from AZ

Date Reviewed: October 23, 1998

Bottom Line:

These tires are what I expected them to be. I run one up front when I want to go fast and have been satisfied with the results. They are light and predictable. When turning too sharply, the tires gradually lose traction instead of all at once dumping you. Buy them for speed. For traction get a Specialized Team Control.

Submitted by Jason a weekend warrior from New Hampshire

Date Reviewed: October 17, 1998

Bottom Line:

I love Conti tires. As a bike mechanic, I've seen alot of tires and Contis always seem to last longer than others (tread wear, drying sidewalls, etc.) However, these are terrain specific tires. In slime, mud, loose terrain, you are better off running something else. I run leader pro front and back (reversed) or a comp pro 1 in rear in those conditions.

Submitted by xanyn a racer from mass

Date Reviewed: October 11, 1998

Bottom Line:

I agree with most everything written regarding these treads. They are good but only on dry hard pack and the road. I almost killed myself descending a long steep wet rooty hill. one root that traversed the trail washed out the front and sent me into a tree, back first. I have since ridden that same hill in the same wet condition several dozen times wearing a set of wildgrippers and I have no fear. I am giving these tires,conti's, three stars for there wieght, looks and durability on the dust.-2 for the NDE

Submitted by Greg a cross-country rider from TX

Date Reviewed: May 8, 1998

Bottom Line:

A very light (480g) tire which I've used for a couple of years. It is excellent on hardpack, but loses it on loose stuff. I've found this tire, as other Contis, to wear slowly and last a long time, with the exception of the sidewall material--which seems to deteriorate faster and show threads. Overall, I'm really happy with it, but there probably are better tires out there for traction on loose stuff, etc. (but most weigh more).

Submitted by Mudmaniac a cross-country rider from Quebec,Quebec, Canada

Date Reviewed: May 2, 1998

Bottom Line:

These tires work very well in the mud when it's put in the front.
After just one race with it, one knobby came off and the tire is good
for scrap. It's very sad because it's a good tire. On the sidewall of
the tire it's says that you can put the tire in the rear.Do not try that
or you will cry your decision. You can see by the shape of the tire that it
cannot be put in rear. See ya on the trails.

Submitted by Jeff Wu a cross-country rider from Hsin Chu, Taiwan

Date Reviewed: February 4, 1998

Bottom Line:

This tire is light and offers very low rolling resistance. Ruthie Matthes ran these tires front and rear to capture the national title. Although these tires are good for racing, I would not recommend them for hard core all-around riding. they have very little braking traction. Stability sucks. Conering is unpredictable.

Submitted by Bryan a racer from Corning, NY

Date Reviewed: October 17, 1997

Bottom Line:

I, like Scott, have tried many others and always return to Conti. I truly believe that there is no better rear tire than the Comp Pro 1 or 2,
but I never found a Conti that I liked on the front (Navigators are too narrow and pack mud) until I took the advice of a friend and tried the leader pro.
It rocks. I shall never sway from Conti again. Please forgive me.