CODA coda 500 Older Pedals

2.72/5 (25 Reviews)

coda coda 500

Submitted by Cschiffer a Weekend Warrior from Faribault, MN, USA

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2010

Strengths:    Cheap! They work fine.

Weaknesses:    Fit and finish not as good as comparable Shimano. Heavy.

Bottom Line:
As seems to be the issue with a lot of Coda products, quality is quite variable. Some are top notch, others are generic crap. This is probably more the latter, and the current ebay price reflects this. Brand new, there was some grittiness in the bearings, but once on the bike this was not noticeable. The fit and finish were noticeably worse than my Shimano pedals. Cleat compatibility is good, and my SPD cleats work fine. They have been working fine for on street use, and I don't intend to use them off road. For what I use them for, I don't have any real complaints. They clip in and out fine, and have a good firm feel when clipped in. They are on my winter bike, so I wanted a cheap and disposable set, and that is what I got. They are quite a bit heavier than the quoted weight, but again, not really and issue for my use.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Shimano SPD

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Silk Path 600.

Submitted by jul chimelewski a Cross Country Rider from summerhill, pa

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2002

Strengths:    good looking, not overly heavy, clip in and out pretty nice, better than wellgo platform crap that came stock, better pedaling effiency

Weaknesses:    sometimes when you purposely try not to clip in they do anyway, don't shed mud that great, also, if you aren't used to clipless pedals sometimes you forget your clipped in.to make a long story short, ouch!

Bottom Line:
if you are in need of a pair of clipless pedals these are good and inexpensive.they aren't even close to the quality of time's but for hundreds of dollars less, i'd take them anyday. and if you hav doubts about whether to switch to clipless, i suggest it. these really crappy, plastic wellgo platforms came stock on my bike and they sucked! your feet slip if they are wet, and you don't get half of the effiency as with clipless pedals

Favorite Trail:   ?

Purchased At:   from a friend (brand new)

Similar Products Used:   first pair of clipless, but i imagine lower end shimano's

Bike Setup:   '02 fisher hardtail

Submitted by Pepper a Weekend Warrior from Miami, Fl

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2001

Strengths:    Easy to release, Easy to get into, low profile, paint doesn't come off very easily.

Weaknesses:    Pretty weak in the muddy conditions, Not mud shedding at all

Bottom Line:
One of the few Coda pieces on the bike that I'm satisfied with. I won't replace these pedals until I wear them out. It took a little while to get used to the cleat and pedal, but now it's not a problem at all to click in. The only weakness is the mud, and here in S. Florida we get a lot of it on the trails. But, I have tried other clipless in muddy situations, so I have nothing to compare it with. Good pedal - Coda you did something right!

Favorite Trail:   New one at Oleta

Purchased At:   Came on bike at LBS

Similar Products Used:   See previous

Bike Setup:   C'dale Jekyll 600 - stock

Submitted by Pepper a Weekend Warrior from Miami, FL

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2001

Strengths:    Easy to clip out of, low profile, look nice

Weaknesses:    Looks can be decieving, impossible to get in sometimes

Bottom Line:
I haven't had a wreck yet because I couldn't get out of 'em, but have gone over the handle bars because I couldn't get in 'em and looked down just enough to not see a huge root in front of me. Not for the beginner and not for first timers. We'll see, maybe I just have to get used to them. I will update soon.

Favorite Trail:   Markham

Purchased At:   LBS - came with bike

Similar Products Used:   Time, Shimano on a road bike

Bike Setup:   C'dale Jekyll 600

Submitted by Steve from Sunnyvale, CA

Date Reviewed: September 12, 2001

Strengths:    Zilch

Weaknesses:    Freaking impossible to clip in

Bottom Line:
CODA sucks! There is nothing worse then to see your buddies race away as you fiddle with trying to get clipped in. Just when you think your in...PSYCH...you are only half clipped in, and still have zero control of the bike. I have to loosen these as much as possible to even have a prayer of getting in, then my foot basically falls out. I would much rather concentrate on the trail then my feet. UPGRADE IMMEDIATELY!

Purchased At:   Came with Bike

Bike Setup:   Cannondale F700

Submitted by Ralph McNall a Cross Country Rider from Claremont, CA

Date Reviewed: January 26, 2001

Bottom Line:
Not the greatest pedal out there, but for the price - I have few problems. Don't do great in mud, but they do the job and they do it just fine.

Submitted by Kizilderili a Weekend Warrior from Fort Defiance, AZ, USA

Date Reviewed: December 12, 2000

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    Needs constant lubing and not good in mud and red sand!

Bottom Line:
Came with the bike.... TiMe to change:)

Favorite Trail:   Fred's Ankle

Similar Products Used:   shimano

Bike Setup:   Jekyll 900SL

Submitted by Iceaxe a Cross Country Rider from Novi, mi

Date Reviewed: July 13, 2000

Strengths:    Solid construction, excellent feel

Weaknesses:    a bit heavy, they don't shed mud the best

Bottom Line:
This is the one CODA part that I like. These pedals are with out a doubt the most solid feeling pedals I've ever used. Great clip in and out feel. They never release prematurely, and they are easy to get into. They are a touch on the hefty side and they don't shed mud like Time but as far as over all feel is concerned, they are great. This is the one CODA party that is staying.

Similar Products Used:   Shimano, wellgo/scott

Bike Setup:   y2k Jekyll 900sl

Submitted by Cadel Evans :-p a Cross Country Rider from Sydney, Australia

Date Reviewed: July 6, 2000

Strengths:    - Came with the bike, so I guess cheap???
- Easy to get out of
- At least someone's thoughtful & it comes with Wellgo platform clip-ins :-(

Weaknesses:    - You try getting in!
- Foot slides around in pedal

Bottom Line:
Stupid pedal - Wellgo sells them for nothing . . . & don't work all that well. I need to set the spring tension down to nothing (which means really really fast release) but if you set it tighter you can never clip in! I can see how it works OK on the road where clipping in & clipping out isn't a major issue but on the dirt . . . grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Anyway, as a first clipless it isn't that bad. I just don't think I have enough confidence to use them on the dirt - esp on singletracks as I can't really control the bike without clipping in & it won't clip in! Those Wellgo platform clip-ons are really attractive right now!

Favorite Trail:   ummmmm, most that I've ridden

Similar Products Used:   None - my first clipless

Bike Setup:   Y2K Cannondale F700

Submitted by nicolas a Racer from santiago CHILE

Date Reviewed: May 11, 2000

Strengths:    good bearings and structure

Weaknesses:    hard to step in and easy to get out

Bottom Line:
A good pedals for the price, they cost me 10 dollars new and in price/quality they kick the ass of 747's, but they are really hard to step in and out, for some experienced clip pedal riders