Bontrager RE-1 Older Pedals

2.74/5 (80 Reviews)

RE-1

Submitted by Aaron Vaden a Cross Country Rider from Boise

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2004

Strengths:    Durable, fairly light.

Weaknesses:    Pack up in muddy conditions.

Bottom Line:
These pedals came on my 2000 Trek 8000, and have worked so well for me I transferred them to my Fuel. I have 3000+ miles of XC riding and racing on them, and no failures yet.

Similar Products Used:   Nashbar pedals.

Bike Setup:   '03 Fuel 80

Submitted by scott a Cross Country Rider from austin, tx

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2004

Strengths:    durable, reliable, fairly light

Weaknesses:    none noted thus far

Bottom Line:
Though these were my first clipless pedals, I am very happy with them. I've ridden them hard for about 4 years and never had an issue. They work fine with my Shimano cleats, and even work OK in mud. It seems from reviews that either you get RE-1s that break in a month, or you get ones that are unbreakable.

Favorite Trail:   Walnut Creek

Purchased At:   came on bike

Bike Setup:   gary fisher sugar 3

Submitted by Russell Ruggiero a Cross Country Rider from West Windsor

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2004

Strengths:    Build and Price

Bottom Line:

Dear
Reader

The Bontrager RE-1's are a great value for the money. They weigh-in at 341 grams, and hold up well under normal riding conditions. These pedals may be currently purchased at $50.00, which represents a great value. They are light and strong, and if you need clip-less, then try a set of RE-1's. My Shimano M858's are more rugged, but not worth three times the price. If you want state of the art then go for the Speedplay X/1's or Zero's. However, if you are on budget, and want a solid clip-less offering, then pick-up a pair of Bontager RE-1's.

Russell

PS: I have over 2KM on these pedals and they perfect.

Favorite Trail:   Princeton (Various)

Purchased At:   Jay's

Similar Products Used:   Shimano M858 (Own)

Bike Setup:   Klein Quantum (triple)
Bontrager Race X Lite (seat post)
Bontrager Race (bars)
Bontrager RE-1 (pedals)

Submitted by George Edwards a Cross Country Rider from UK

Date Reviewed: December 2, 2003

Strengths:    sheds the mud, positive clip in

Weaknesses:    they break, they are manufactured by bontager.

Bottom Line:
Otherwise a great product, I have been happy with them untill they broke last week. the front of the retaining footplate just clean snapped off, bearing and all other bits have been perfect, trying to get replacement parts is impossible, Trek/Bontrager seem to go out of their way to misguide and misinform you!

HAVE YOUR RE-1's BROKEN - WANT TO GIVE ANOTHER RIDER WHO CAN'T AFFORD NEW SPD's TO CONTINUE USING THEIRS, IF YOU HAVE THESE GATHERING DUST AND PLAN NEVER TO TOUCH THEM AGAIN, PLEASE GET IN TOUCH - georgee@blueyonder.co.uk

Purchased At:   Bike, Bristol

Similar Products Used:   Onza, Shimano

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher - Paragon 1999

Submitted by Mike a Racer from SLO, CA

Date Reviewed: December 24, 2002

Strengths:    They work great when they're not broken. They release well in good conditions and work decently in mud (until it dries).

Weaknesses:    They BREAK!!! The stupid toe end of the retention plate breaks off.

Bottom Line:
I cannot advise anyone to buy these pedals, and if they come on your bike, ask the shop to switch them out at purchase. I was super happy with them for the first couple months, then the toe end of the retention plate broke on my right pedal. Wrote Bontrager, they told me to take it to my shop (who winned about replacing them a lot) for warranty. Got a new pair, and was happy again. Then, the same part on the left pedal broke. I went for a ride today, and the same part on the other side of the left pedal was gone--only discovered this at the trail head. So I rode anyways. I am really dissapointed with Bontrager's stuff. Their alloys are total junk! The metal just plain fails! Why would Keith allow such poor quality? The materials are just really bad, and the constant breakage just SUCKS!!! I just want to ride. Bontrager's got to be loosing huge in market confidence.

Hope you all have good rides and few crashes.

Favorite Trail:   Enchanted Forest

Bike Setup:   Fisher Sugar 3

Submitted by dan white a Cross Country Rider from wheat ridge CO

Date Reviewed: December 5, 2002

Strengths:    Light, durable, look decent.

Weaknesses:    spd.

Bottom Line:
These are very good spds. They are excellent in all conditions except snow and mud. They are solid, reliable, and both still spin very smoothly on their axles after much use.

Not as good as Time or Crank Bros (obviously), but a very good spd choice in my opinion.

Similar Products Used:   Old Icon crap, Crank Bros.

Bike Setup:   Jamis - read my komodo review

Submitted by OROZCO OSCAR a Weekend Warrior from GUADALAJARA, MEXICO

Date Reviewed: October 16, 2002

Strengths:    I HAD THIS RE-1 SINCE I BOUGHT A TREK 7000, THEY WERE MI INITIAL CLIPLESS PEDALS, I HAVE NOT ANY PROBLEM WITH THEM

Weaknesses:    I HAVE NOT ANY

Bottom Line:
I TRY TO CHANGE THIS RE-1 FOR TIME ATAC CARCON BUT IT WONT RELEASE AS FAST AS MY ORIGINALS RE-1, TIME IS NOT COMPATIBLE WITH SHIMANO, IN MEXICO IS THE MOST POPULAR (SHIMANO). IN MUD I NEVER HAVE PROBLEMS. I ALSO RECOMENDED TO MY FRINEDS BUT THEY DID NOT FIND HERE IN MEXICO SO THEY HAVE TO BUY SHIMANO.
I REALLY HAPPY, I ALSO CAHNGE ALREADY MY BIKE AN OF COURSE I CHANGE MY OLD PEDALS TOO.

Favorite Trail:   TOBOGANES ZAPOPAN,MEXICO

Purchased At:   BIKEWORLD

Similar Products Used:   NO ONE

Bike Setup:   TREK 7000

Submitted by Nate a Racer from Minnesota

Date Reviewed: October 12, 2002

Strengths:    Durable, light, easy release/entry

Weaknesses:    problems in sticky mud

Bottom Line:
I have owned 4 pairs of these pedals since '98. In that time, I broke one pedal (which was promptly warrantied) and had virtually no other problems since, other than in very muddy conditions. I race expert class and put lots of miles on these. NO PROBLEMS. I get in at will. I get out when I want. Simple. All you guys who want to throw yours away send me an email.

Purchased At:   oem

Similar Products Used:   shimano, time

Bike Setup:   Sugar 1, Ziggurat, Redline cx, Marin, Trek 8000

Submitted by Jon a Cross Country Rider from Oregon

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2002

Strengths:    When cleat tension was adjustable it worked well

Weaknesses:    It broke and the cleat tension just lossened

Bottom Line:
Considering I had not worn out a set of cleats yet this product is junk. I would never buy this pedal new. The cleat adjustment screw poped loose for a $70 retail pedal this is really crap.

Purchased At:   With 2000 paragon

Bike Setup:   2000 paragon

Submitted by Wrench a Cross Country Rider from Las Vegas, NV

Date Reviewed: August 5, 2002

Strengths:    SPD compatibility, other than that.nothing.

Weaknesses:    Quality, strength, reliablity, customer service.

Bottom Line:
POS (Piece of S^&T). Broke one of the left pedals release plates on 2nd ride. Then broke the same metal piece on the right pedal the next day! Had a total of 11 miles on the first pedal before it broke, about 20 miles on the second pedal before it broke. I have never seen such poor quality on any "high" end bike part in my 14 years of riding.

Copland Sporting Goods then told me that "pedals" are a warranty item. Talk about absolute garbage customer service!

Bontragers customer service is also terrible, just try and find a phone number on the web site. The obviously dont want to talk to their customers.

Only reason they get 1 start is because I can't give them "0" stars.

Favorite Trail:   Navajo Lake Loop, Utah

Purchased At:   Coplands

Similar Products Used:   Time ATAC, Shimano SPD - verious

Bike Setup:   Fisher Sugar2

Submitted by EYEDOC a Cross Country Rider from Nashville, TN

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2002

Strengths:    Easy to clip out of (perhaps too easy)

Weaknesses:    Durability, quality of internals

Bottom Line:
Bought these pedals to use on my spare bike, and after a while, one became very difficult to rotate, and the other would spin like a pinwheel, making a horrible grinding sound. The LBS repaired them for $10, then the same thing happened after a few more rides. Also, my feet would occasionally pop out of them on rocky or bumpy terrain. I'm going to try the EggBeaters and see how they
do.

Favorite Trail:   anything fast and hilly

Purchased At:   Bicycles, ETC

Similar Products Used:   747's

Bike Setup:   Merlin Echo-CrossMax UST-Sid SL-Full XT-Thomson

Submitted by Pierre a Cross Country Rider from Levis, Quebec, Canada

Date Reviewed: July 6, 2002

Strengths:    Yes they are pedals and they hold yours shoes in place

Weaknesses:    Bearings auto-destroy rapidly

Bottom Line:
These pedals came stock on my bike and they failed on me in a few months. I went back to the dealer and they replaced them with another pair that was taken off a Klein Mantra. After about the same period of time, I got the same problem. These RE-1 are just poorly manufactured and I can't understand why they were still found on high-end Klein bikes in 2001...

Purchased At:   came with the bike

Bike Setup:   Klein Attitude Comp 1999

Submitted by Kevin a Cross Country Rider from Santa Rosa

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2002

Strengths:    Can be melted down and recycled into a beer can.

Weaknesses:    This about sums it up. It's a weak product.

Bottom Line:
These pedals flat out suck. They lock up or release prematurely, in both cases without advance warning. Buying these was the worst decision I have ever made buying bicycle gear. I replaced them with Time ATACs and I could not be happier. Buy the Times and save yourself some headache (literally).

Submitted by marc a Cross Country Rider from yonkers,n.y usa

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2002

Strengths:    there lite

Weaknesses:    hard to clip in . to easy to release,to small a surface and to easy to come out in techincal spots and hard down hills.

Bottom Line:
they should give these pedals away rather then selling them.they suck!!!! if your trying to save a buck there ok if not buy a better quility pedal.

Favorite Trail:   van courtland at night

Purchased At:   bike store in hawii