Prolyte Sports Prolyte Older Nutrition

4.8/5 (20 Reviews)

Prolyte Sports Prolyte

Submitted by d from asd

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2003

Bottom Line:
it sucks

Purchased At:   23

Submitted by David a Weekend Warrior from Birmingham, AL, USA

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2001

Strengths:    This stuff is great. Easy to get down, immediate results, and no dips because you are drinking it constantly. I did a 30 miler today that is nothing but steep hills and felt great afterwards. I had done this same ride 3 weeks ago and felt alot more draine than today.

Weaknesses:    None yet.

Bottom Line:
This stuff works great. I like the gels, but they are a little difficult to get down, and meesy to keep empties in the back of your jersey. With this stuff, I just mix it in my bottle before hand, and go and go and go. I also like the caffeine boost. I feel awake and alert during the long rides. I know I must sound like a rep, but I really like this stuff better than anything else I have tried.

Favorite Trail:   Trail. LOL. Roads, Roads, Roads

Purchased At:   Bike Link

Similar Products Used:   GU, Powerbar Gel, sports drinks.

Bike Setup:   Saeco Team Cadd3 Frame, Look carbon forks, Spinergy Spox Rims, Icon seatpost, Flite Gel Century Saddle, 105's, ahead,etc.

Submitted by Brent Clarkson a Racer from Auburn

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2001

Strengths:    I honestly believe that this is the best product of this sort you will find on the market. Unlike Endurox, it's not thick even when it gets warm in the Camelbak or water bottle. Gives you a great boost that enables you to out-ride the competition and doesn't wear off to quickly like a sugar-based energy drink. Will not upset your stomach like the other drinks that contain citric acid(ProLyte has none). All flavors taste great; a very mild taste that don't require them to be watered down.

Bottom Line:
The bottom line is that ProLyte is able to set itself apart from all other drinks like it because of several reasons. Firstly, it contains Caffeine, which encourages the release of adrenaline when it's needed most. Secondly, as mentioned before, it has no citric acid to upset your stomach. Last but not least, the founder is a very cool, down-to-earth person who actually rides and races. He knows what he's doing when it comes to this kind of stuff. I started using ProLyte after I heard about it from a friend and I use it every time I race. There are no substitutes for ProLyte Energy Drink. Try it for yourself!!! www.prolytesports.com

Favorite Trail:   fast ones with tight curves

Purchased At:   XC Race

Similar Products Used:   Gatorade, Powerade, Endurox R4...none of them come close to what ProLyte has to offer

Bike Setup:   2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 3, Manitou Mars C, Bontrager Race, Kenda Kharisma Krystal tires

Submitted by Will a Cross Country Rider from Bedford, NH

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2001

Strengths:    Tastes good. Does what it promises. Can drink it without stomach feeling upset.

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
This stuff helped me get through the Vermont 50 by giving me an energy boost when I needed it. Lemon Lime flavor is my favorite.

Purchased At:   Performance Bicycle

Similar Products Used:   Gatorade

Bike Setup:   Specialized FSR

Submitted by Sue a Weekend Warrior from Canton, MI

Date Reviewed: April 4, 2001

Strengths:    * taste
* comes as a powder, so I can mix my own strength
* does not upset my stomach

Weaknesses:    * none so far

Bottom Line:
Great taste that does not upset my stomach. I don't mix it per their guidelines, so maybe that's why it works so well for me.

Gives me the continued nutrition to keep going. Goes well with my choices for energy bars.

Purchased At:   internet

Similar Products Used:   * Cytomax

Bike Setup:   stock 2001 Lemond Zurich

Submitted by Will Fyfe a Racer from Auburn, AL

Date Reviewed: December 8, 2000

Strengths:    Incredible taste with all flavors. DOES NOT upset my stomach during activity because it has no citric acid.

Weaknesses:    This product has absolutely no weaknesses

Bottom Line:
This product totally rocks. I will never go back to using Ultrafuel again. I started using Prolyte at a summer racing series where they were a sponsor. Tyler was so cool and got me to race his product. Ever since, I use only this and my mountain bike and triathlete friends do as well. If you are not using this product, watch out for me and the rest of the Prolyte users lined up next to you at the starting gates.

Favorite Trail:   Oak Mtn. BUMP Trail

Purchased At:   Cross Country Race

Similar Products Used:   Gatorade, Ultrafuel, Powerade
all of the energy gels

Bike Setup:   S-WORKS hardtail

Submitted by christopher a a Cross Country Rider from Cincinnati

Date Reviewed: November 16, 2000

Strengths:    Flavors
CAFFINE!
No sour stomach after drinking a few water bottles full.

Weaknesses:    None I can think of or seen thus far.

Bottom Line:
I used this product because Pro-Lyte Sports had sponsored a local race mountain bike here in Cincinnati. So I figured I would give it a try. Well during a long ride I realized that the better taste meant I was drinking more which at the time I thought was a bad thing because I was going to pay for it later with a real sour stomach. But with out the Citric acid I never got that burn in the pit of my stomach.

I would highly recommend this product to everyone who does anything active

Favorite Trail:   Ceaser Creek

plus all the rest!

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher Mt. Tam XT/XTR

Submitted by Rob Morgan a Cross Country Rider from Charlotte

Date Reviewed: October 25, 2000

Strengths:    Mild flavor did not upset my stomach
Gave me the energy boast I needed to finish x-country race at Olympic Course in GA, without the bonk!!

Bottom Line:
I would highly recomend this product to anyone who wants that little edge.

Favorite Trail:   Catawba River Trails

Purchased At:   from manufacturer

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher Suger

Submitted by chris holcomb a Cross Country Rider from amarillo tx

Date Reviewed: September 5, 2000

Strengths:    Great tasteing
easy on stomach
good even when warm

Weaknesses:    If you can't have caffeine this isn't the drink for you

Bottom Line:
This is the first product in which I feel a difference when I use it. Plain and simple it works, and there is no equal.

PR drink
gatorade

Bike Setup:   K2 Razorback, all the goodies.

Submitted by Nick McBride a Racer from LA, CA

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2000

Strengths:    I like it and only use it during races.

Weaknesses:    I'm afraid that my tolerance of caffeine will increase with time.

Bottom Line:
This drink alone helped our triathlon relay team bring home a 2nd place against a world class competition. You only need to try it on one ride/race or training session to notice the difference.

Favorite Trail:   nope

Bike Setup:   CDALE

Submitted by RACHEL a Racer from MACON, GEORGIA

Date Reviewed: April 3, 2000

Strengths:    Awesome flavors, NO after taste, not too sweet or heavy.

Weaknesses:    If you're a fan of caffeine, you'll get hooked!

Bottom Line:
Prolyte has the perfect blend of B-vitamins and sugars. Because of its light taste and composition, it doesn't irritate or upset the stomach during a hard work-out. I truly recommend Prolyte to any competitive endurance athlete who is interested in out-performing his/her competition. However, if you're sensitive to caffeine- not a good choice.
Whether its a long day at the office, a tough work-out, or race, Prolyte is the perfect drink to help your body sustain itself.

Rachel F. Rittgers
Professional mountain biker for Team Zaxby's

Favorite Trail:   RICH MOUNTAIN, GEORGIA

Similar Products Used:   Cytomax, gatorade, ultra fuel

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Superlight w/fox rear and SID front.

Submitted by Brian Behrmann a Racer from Deal , NJ

Date Reviewed: February 23, 2000

Strengths:    Caffeine kick, very very light, never gets thick when it warms up on hot days. Energy boost lasts for a whole race (3-5 hrs.)

Weaknesses:    NONE !!! (Although it will suck when everyone else discovers the benefits of using it!)

Bottom Line:
Simply put, Prolyte is the best energy drink I have ever used. I tried it for the first time last year on a training ride. Then at the races. After that I relied on Prolyte the rest of the season. I only use the best equipment and the best products when it comes to racing and Prolyte is one of them.

Favorite Trail:   technical singletrack

Similar Products Used:   Revenge, Cytomax, XLR8

Bike Setup:   Merlin XLM

Submitted by Preston Yarborough a Cross Country Rider from High Point, NC

Date Reviewed: February 22, 2000

Strengths:    Tastes decent for an energy drink; designed w/competition in mind-- it'll give the kick when you need it; the people behind prolyte both use the product and understand their customers. Do you want to buy from a suit only interested in making a buck or do you to buy from someone like you and me who lives and breathes this stuff?

Weaknesses:    Its not a drink I'm using for a trail ride so much as that edge I'm looking for to boost me during competition.

Bottom Line:
These guys have the drink for a competition-oriented athelete. It's not going to knock Gatorade off the shelves, but that doesn't matter. It kicks ass where it counts: that initial burst off the starting line and the final burn to bring that trophy home. Though I'm not a tri-guy or a marathoner, my friends in those pursuits have been very happy with this drink's performance. Hey, its only few bucks, take a little risk and reap the benefits!

Favorite Trail:   anything w/good logs and sweet singletrack

Similar Products Used:   Powerbar, Revenge, Cytomax, Gu

Bike Setup:   '97 Kona King Kikapu-- XTR drivetrain/shifters w/ 9speed (miss the 8s), Fox Vanilla Air R, XMO Fork (surprisingly good for $300 investment)Bontrager Wheelset, IRC Mythos; currently running a lighter-weight cross country set-up, but I'm probably going to build another cc bike and set this one up with longer travel, riser bars and make one hell of a fun bike.

Submitted by Dan Fry a Racer from Manheim, PA, USA

Date Reviewed: February 22, 2000

Strengths:    ProLyte was a nice suprise last season when I started using it on a regular basis for training and racing. It is one thing that I can honestly say kept me rollin' in quite a few races and long, hot summer rides. The flavors are good too. So many other drink mixes claim to taste good and when you taste them at home they are alright but when you are riding you need something you really like the taste of so you stay hydrated. This drink mix is good for athletes other than cyclists. My girlfriend is a marathon runner and she is always coming by my apartment to steel the stuff. It's great for all kinds of endurance athletes who want to perform at their peak for longer.

Weaknesses:    The only weakness with ProLyte is that it is not a good post ride drink because of the caffeine. It's not really a weakness but I don't think this stuff is for the neighborhood rider. It's for people who really want to get out and hammer.

Bottom Line:
It's good stuff. I don't think there is a lot of techy talk I can offer since this is not a bike or fork or something. But in that case, ProLyte is not as expensive as a bike or fork, so what the heck... buy a bottle and try it out.

Favorite Trail:   McKenzie River Trail

Similar Products Used:   Cytomax, Smart Fuel, good ol' Tang (I'm still sick from that day!)

Bike Setup:   Smorgasbord hardtail w, Manitou SX Ti.

Submitted by Michael Vernon a Racer from Tucson, AZ

Date Reviewed: February 21, 2000

Strengths:    PROLYTE has a Great Taste, with NO After Taste, actually relieves thirst unlike other sports/nutrition drinks. It is easy to use and mixes very well. There are no chunks left at the bottom of your H2O bottle, after mixing. I use it during training and racing. I have had an increase in overall endurance and quicker recovery times. The caffeine gives me that little boost to get up the last climb.

Weaknesses:    I have found no weaknesses.

Bottom Line:
Use it if you care about your results, be it at a race or a local ride, you and your riding buddies around you will notice your improvements.
Prolyte tastes great, comes in four great flavors and has a little caffeine kick to get you to the finish line. It is great to finally know that while racing I can take in Carbs, without being thirsty and having having cotton mouth after drinking PROLYTE. Check out there web site prolytesports.com and give them a chance. 40 servings for $22.95, you can't go wrong unless you wait; odds are that someone you race against has the Prolyte edge. Great job to all at Prolyte.

Favorite Trail:   Rodalben, Germany