NiteRider TriNewt Older Lights

• Li-Ion Battery
  • Extension Cable
  • Handlebar Mount - Fits up to 31.8mm
  • 4 HR Smart Charger

Think of the TriNewt as the MiNewt’s big brother, with a look and design every bit as unique and striking as the MiNewt. The TriNewt incorporates a cluster of 3 high-powered LED’s to achieve a retina searing output of 500 lumens! No ‘off the shelf’ optics are used in the TriNewt. Instead, the 3 high-powered LED’s are housed in a custom made reflector designed specifically with cycling in mind. The result is a beam pattern ideal for night riding. Like all NiteRider LED lighting systems, the TriNewt uses a Borofloat lens to greatly minimize light loss and maximize light output, when compared to a traditional glass lens or total internal reflector. New Gimbal Style mounts are used for handlebar and helmet mounting.

Read the Pro Review on This Product Here>>

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by fipogg a Cross Country Rider from Stafford, TX, USA

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2010

Strengths:    Bright white light. Perfect for handlebar use although the mounting on my 31.8 mm. Easton carbon handlebar needed some genius solution. The battery is fairly light compared to previous other Nite Rider products I've owned and its velcro strap is enough to keep it firmly attached to the frame.

Weaknesses:    The connectors! I don't understand why Nite Rider continues to use different type of connectors. This one has three pins and the male-female assembly is kind of weird compared to so many different other cable connectors.
    Although is comes with a helmet mount the light assembly is heavy and I assume that the On-Off switch located in the battery makes it difficult to operate if you carry it in your Camelbak.

Bottom Line:
    The system works! The battery lasts over three hours and it works for my type of night rides. I will call the attention to Nite Ride for the cable connectors and the mounting bracket for the bigger diameter handlebars.

Favorite Trail:   Chicopee Trail, Gainesville, GA

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Nite Rider Digital PRO and other Nite Rider very old lights.

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Heckler 2010, Easton 31.8 carbon handlebar. As said above I had to create a solution to mount the light in the handlebar using parts of the mounting bracket that comes with the system. Don't hesitate to ask for pictures in case you need to look at it.

Submitted by jonsbike a Weekend Warrior from corvallis or

Date Reviewed: January 15, 2010

Strengths:    Bright beam, smooth with no hot spots or artifacts.

Weaknesses:    Unit fails after 15-50 cycles. This is the 5th time sent back.
    Bar mount does not fit 31.8 without a fight. Plug impossible to connect in the dark. Switch inoperable with gloves on.

Bottom Line:
    Unreliable American-made crap. Over engineered is a phrase I've heard when referencing these units. Riding home in the rainy dark with just a secondary light blows ass. Just like the Niterider Tri-Newt. Cheers!

Favorite Trail:   burma peak

Purchased At:   industry employee

Similar Products Used:   Niterider Digital Pro, Nitehawk Dual + Auto

Bike Setup:   Fun XC

Submitted by jason3559 a Cross Country Rider from Providence, RI

Date Reviewed: December 4, 2009

Strengths:    Much brighter than previous products I have tried. Robust construction. Dependable service. Quick installation and removal.

Weaknesses:    No switch on light head, which makes turn off the light a major pain. Battery switch indicator light (blue/red) started to malfunction immediately after purchase. NR warrantied the item. Light sits high on helmet and is fairly heavy, so front mounting causes balance issues, thus requiring mounting at the highest point on the helmet. Count on banging it alot on low hanging objects.

Bottom Line:
    My ride partner just bought a L&M Seca 700. We did a comparison between the two. When I put my hand over the Trinewt, we could barely tell a difference. When he covered teh Seca, it was like the lights went out. Really showed how much less light the Trinewt puts out. Claimed lumens is 600, but I have my doubts. Prior to this test, I was super impressed with the Trinewt. On trail, the Seca completely washes out the Trinewt. However, when I am riding alone, I am more than pleased.

My rating won't reflect this, but Night Riders use of light head specific batteries treats the consumer as enemy, in my opinion.

When I bought the light, $375 was on the expensive side, but the output made me feel like this was the price of insurance. However, the performance against the Seca makes me feel like I got scammed and I would love to see actual Lumen output of the light.

Favorite Trail:   Many

Purchased At:   Local Shop

Similar Products Used:   Night Rider Trail Rat, Princeton Tec Switchback.

Submitted by atnorris a Cross Country Rider from Williamsburg, VA

Date Reviewed: October 7, 2009

Strengths:    Bright light with good beam.

Weaknesses:    Battery fails if not charged. Had to get it replaced twice. First time I sent it in they only sent back the battery and light. Never got the other stuff in the kit back. Complained but got nothing. Also lamp is kind of heavy.

Bottom Line:
    Would be OK light if not for the crappy battery and getting ripped off by the repair department. But without the battery, the light is not going to work.

Favorite Trail:   Mohican

Similar Products Used:   Going to try some other brand now.

Submitted by Steve Cottrell a Weekend Warrior from Boulder City, NV

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2009

Strengths:    Very bright. Long lasting. Easy to mount and use.

Weaknesses:    Plug from light to battery is sometimes hard to deal with, but I think they designed it to come apart easily in a crash.

Bottom Line:
    I've used this every night for over three months. Great light. Everyone comments about it. I ride some gnarly trails at night and it has never let me down.

Favorite Trail:   Inner Caldera - Bootleg Canyon

Purchased At:   Can't remember

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Blur LT with Talas 36 and RP23.

Submitted by saiysidi a Cross Country Rider from Holland, MI

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2009

Strengths:    Very bright
    Doesn't get hot like the HID
    Bean patterns is very good

Weaknesses:    Rubber strap is junk and hard to put on. For the price pay for this light I wish the universal handle bar mount came with it instead NR make you pay $30 as optional.

Bottom Line:
    I ride atleast 2 to 3 hours twice a week at night and this light is helping me see the trial almost like daylight and the cars will see me also when I ride on the road. So far the battery is still giving out 3 plus hours of juice after using it for total of 30 hours within 6 months. All in all I'm very happy with this light.

Favorite Trail:   Egypt Valley and Yankee Springs

Purchased At:   Art's Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   Topeak HID
    Niterider Moab HID

Bike Setup:   Litespeed Owl Hollow with complete XTR setup.

Submitted by spgallo a Racer from Sacramento

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2009

Strengths:    Very durable - this light can be trusted to withstand a crash. Very nice even light beam makes for an excellent handlebar light. I used it in recent 24hour race and the flood is so wide and even that I could almost get by with just that light. I used a Trailrat which has a very narrow focussed beam on my helmet. It was just enough to point down the trail to see what was coming in the distance where the Trinewt wasn't shining. Trinewt battery life is excellent also. I think their factory ratings are a little conservative. I lasted all night on one charge cycling between low and high beam.

Weaknesses:    Not so great for helmet light. Bean is to wide and does not project far enough down the trial. Also the switch is on the battery and you would not be able to cycle the light from high to low for conserving battery life. Battery is a little bulky compared to others, but it is still a very usable size.

Bottom Line:
    This is an incredible handlebar light. If you are looking for a helmet light don't consider this one. My rating is based on using as a handlebar light.

Favorite Trail:   Mickey Mouse

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Light and Motion Seca Race

Bike Setup:   Rocky Mountain ETSX

Submitted by acctnut a Cross Country Rider from Redwood City

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2009

Strengths:    Bright and has a long run time

Weaknesses:    expensive, battery doesn't strap to some frames effectivly.

Bottom Line:
    Having a kid, work and school I ride about 50% at night, mostly on a road loop through the suburbs. I've been doing this for about 4 years and seems to prepare me well to race with the 4's or 2's in crits or XC. Every now and then, I'll night ride some overlooked singletrack nearby that seems pretty kosher, but around here nothing is really legal. Botom line is if you use this light, it is well worth the price. It's really nice to have long run times and it's really nice to have something bright so cars notice you and you notice all the little cracks, bumps and dead things on the road. On the trail, you simply just need to slow down a bit, even with this bright of a light. You can't interpret the little contours of a trail that fast in the dark, but it's still fun.

This light has been good to me, no problems and it still holds it's charge for as long as I car to ride after a couple years.

Favorite Trail:   Ashland

Purchased At:   performance

Similar Products Used:   Supergo 30watt halogyn

Bike Setup:   Marin Dedachicai Steel night/rain bike.

Submitted by taterbug a Weekend Warrior from Alabama

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2009

Strengths:    Really bright for it's size.

Weaknesses:    Charger and battery

Bottom Line:
    I bought this light at the beginning of November. After receiving it the charger would not charge the light. I called Harbor Country Bikes and they sent one (another charger) right out. Everything went well with the light for a while. Last weekend I went on a night ride and everything was working. However, when I attempted to recharge the battery, the battery light stayed red for three days and never turned blue which indicates that it is fully charged. I called Niterider and they said it could be the circuit board in the battery and to send it in to them as it was under warranty. When it works it is great. I just hope to keep it working a little longer this time around

Favorite Trail:   Swayback

Purchased At:   Harbor Country Bikes

Similar Products Used:   None, first light I have used

Bike Setup:   Surly CrossCheck used for commuting and touring

Submitted by commuter a Weekend Warrior from USA

Date Reviewed: March 31, 2009

Strengths:    Bright light easy to mount

Weaknesses:    Battery died second time I used it. I had to pay return shipping for warranty repair. Two weeks later I had it back. It died again recently. Used sporadically over last five months mostly while commuting. No response from niterider when I tried to contact them this time.

Bottom Line:
    The battery has problems. When it works it is great. Too bad that doesn't appear to be very often.

Submitted by frumthehills a Cross Country Rider from emmitsburg, md

Date Reviewed: March 27, 2009

Strengths:    high, low beams, blue light very bright

Weaknesses:    battery, it just very big, sometimes I place it on top of the tube other its below the tube, its big so it slides alittle until you adjust for it

Bottom Line:
    once you get your battery set its a big bright light that you can adjust for where or when your riding, bright for down hill soft for uphill, soft for when other vehicles are coming its just a push of the button. its nice.
    its pricy which keeps it low o the value, but I like it over all

Purchased At:   eastern panhandle bi

Similar Products Used:   trail rats and vista lights

Bike Setup:   cannondale 29, specialized epic marathon

Submitted by simuk a Weekend Warrior from Sydney

Date Reviewed: January 28, 2009

Strengths:    Brightness is exceptional. Reliability when used often. AWSOME warranty and service!

Weaknesses:    Battery pack will fail if not charged for approximately 6 months or so.
    A lot of locally manufactured lightweight kits at a more compeditive price for light point.

Bottom Line:
    I purchased this light set-up for the Scott 24hr(team)and also used it several times during trainning.
    The light performed sensationally even when treated slightly roughly as I tired out towards the end.No secondry light required.
    It ran for about 3 hours on full brightness.
    A remote switch would be great as on social rides it becomes a little annoying having to remove the camelback to switch it off.
    After the race it sat fully charged on the shelf for a long period of time(approx 6-9mths). When the charger was plugged in the battery pack made a click sound and then both the blue and red lights flashed similtaneously. This means the battery pack charge circuitry is broken.(approx 18mths old at this point)
    Upon returning the light kit to my LBS I had a new battery pack within 2 weeks ,no questions asked. In Australia warranty or out of warranty repairs can be sent directly to Jet Black Product Support.
    So stoked about the warranty service. Big thanks to all.

Favorite Trail:   NZ South Island

Purchased At:   St Ives cycles.

Similar Products Used:   Fenix flashlight P3D

Bike Setup:   Giant Reign1

Submitted by jgur88 a Racer from Philadelphia, PA USA

Date Reviewed: January 22, 2009

Strengths:    beam pattern, durability, customer service, battery life, lumens

Weaknesses:    bulky battery, weight, weak points on the helmet-mount bracket, everyone wants to borrow it!

Bottom Line:
    Weighing in the weaknesses, I weigh 170 pounds already with a 3L Camelbak and full gear for night-long solos. An extra 500g isn't going to break your back. The battery is large, yes, but I throw it right into a side pocket on my pack and can toggle the Hi/Lo just as easily as reaching for a cell phone in a jersey pocket while on the road.

I was descending fast with it on a no-moon night when a low-lying tree hit me square in the forehead, knocking me out briefly and snapping the light from the helmet mount. The light didn't even turn off, but the bracket broke right where two screws go trough the mount and onto the ball socket adjustment thing. It is a definite weak point. I emailed NiteRider and they agreed to send me a new mount at no charge and no questions asked. It just took about 6 or 8 weeks. They said they had just run out of them, but you know how excuses are easily made. I'm extremely careful with where the light is and making sure not to do what I did, but the tree came out of nowhere. Branches and other stuff have snapped at it, and it was fine for that.

Battery life is great, ultra bright enough to not need a light for the bars, have no fear with mud and water either. I pan to buy another one for the bars anyway as a backup for 24-hour solos. Also, at almost a dollar per lumen, the value is awesome. Definitely a great buy

Favorite Trail:   Michaux