NiteRider Tail light Older Lights

4.52/5 (23 Reviews)

The TL 5.0 has five ultra bright LED's with four different operating modes, including three different flash modes. The TL 5.0 will help keep you safe and seen from behind (180 degree visibility).

Submitted by Enrico a Weekend Warrior from Washington D.C.

Date Reviewed: November 13, 2007

Strengths:    The best insurance a commuter can buy.

Weaknesses:    Lots of wires

Bottom Line:
This light is for you if you ride in traffic all winter long and want to stay alive. I've commuted 35 miles/day all winter for the past 7 years, and the fear and trepidation of the past 6 about being nailed from behind is pretty much gone since I mounted my nightrider taillight...it would have to be deliberate or a methed-out drunk to hit you despite this this candlepower. Best light on the market that I am aware of, bar none. I had perfectly adequate headlights before (a pair of Planet Bike Alias halogens, one 10W, one 15W), and yet I still bought a Nightrider Enduro just for the battery for this marvellous tail light. Now I am lit up like

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Every damned LED tail light out there

Bike Setup:   Road bike and winter commuter

Submitted by ron from santa barbara

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2006

Strengths:    super bright, outstanding design, appears weatherproof, cables are very heavy duty.

Bottom Line:
best commute tail light available imho

Favorite Trail:   18 mile commute per day

Purchased At:   hazards, sb

Similar Products Used:   aa blinkers

Bike Setup:   giant tcr c1

Submitted by ron from santa barbara

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2006

Bottom Line:
best commute tail light available imho

Favorite Trail:   18 mile commute per day

Purchased At:   hazards, sb

Similar Products Used:   aa blinkers

Bike Setup:   giant tcr c1

Submitted by Rob from Sequim, Washington

Date Reviewed: October 25, 2005

Strengths:    Well made. Appears to be sealed from water, and is likely durable.

Weaknesses:    Coiled cord seems unnecessary. Adds weight and bulk. No lens in front of LEDs. Just a bunch of LEDs behind clear plastic. Rather low Tech compared to more modern lights.

Bottom Line:
I've been using a RealLight in flash mode, and a Cateye TL-LD600 in steady mode for some time. I built a new bike and decided to see if there was something better around so I bought two new lights. A Lightman strobe, and a Nightrider tail light. The quick answer is "I was dissappointed by both".

The Nightrider is bright, but nothing to rave about. It's quite directional since it has no lens system other than what's built into the LEDs. It projects a round spot, and is bright as long as you are within that spot. Go off to the side just a bit, and it becomes dim very quickly. I put the RealLight, Cateye, and Niterider on the trunk of my car tonight and walked a distance to see what they look like. They were all set to flash mode. From straight behind the Niterider and Cateye were close, with the Niterider being just a bit brighter. But when walking off to the side, the Cateye stayed brighter longer. I credit the Cateye lens system for this. The Cateye produces an oval pattern compared to the round pattern of the Niterider.

The RealLight is nothing to brag about when in steady mode, but it appears brighter in flash mode. It seems that the LEDs are driven with a higher voltage in flash mode. The RealLight was by far the most visable of the three. It wasn't as bright as either of the two lights from straight behind, but it didn't loose much brightness when moving to the side. It's a much larger light than the other two, and that makes it far more noticeable. That's what it's really all about. Not how bright, but how noticeable. In my opinion the Nightrider is just too small to compete with the RealLight.

I purchased the multi voltage Niterider tail light, which runs on either 6 or 13.2 volts. I found the light to be a bit brighter when running on a 13.2 pack compared to a 6 volt pack.

Bottom line is: The Niterider is a bright light and would likely work fine in most situations. But it's not the brightest or most noticeable light around.

Favorite Trail:   A paved road.

Purchased At:   www.aebike.com

Similar Products Used:   Vista Nebula 3, Nebula 5, and strobe, Cateye TL-LD600, RealLight (reallite.com), and Lightman strobe (lightmanstrobes.com).

Bike Setup:   Recumbents with a mixture of lighting systems.

Submitted by Jack Annonymous a Racer from San Francisco area

Date Reviewed: December 5, 2004

Strengths:    The brightest, therefore the most visible, therefore the best.

Weaknesses:    Really, nothing. As my wife said, "What's your life worth, stupid?"

Bottom Line:
The brightest, therefore the most visible, therefore the best.
The brightest, most visible taillight available. I'd leave my helmet at home before I'd leave this.
I use two of these taillights on my bike: one 6 years old running daily about 3.25 hours per day, 4 days per week on a Classic battery on my Bob trailer; the other attatched to my seatpost and running off my 2 month old Flamethrower. I run them both day and night on my 50 mile daily commute. I have followed my bike in a car day and night to check them out, and they are extremely visible, even from the sides and front (where the rider's body does not block the view, anyway). There is nothing on the market that even comes close in terms of visibility. Nothing. Any opinion to the contrary is either uninformed or untruthful.
As far as durability is concerned, the one on the trailer has been there (it started out on a crude, home-made trailer up until I got the Bob a year ago), bouncing around, rain or shine, for 6 years plus. It is just as visible as my 1 month old one on my seatpost. I performs like new.
I bought the first one because I saw one on the road during the day and knew I had to have it for safety. I bought the second one because two is better than one, and the first has been so durable. Plus, Niterider has always been a reasonable company to deal with.
It took me less than a minute to remove the newer light from my bike when I wanted to wash it, and about two minutes to put it back on. Not too bad, but not too convenient either. Not too convenient for thieves, either.
With this light, anybody who hits me from behind will do so either intentionally or because they're drunk. I'll know they saw me.

Favorite Trail:   huh?

Purchased At:   Jenson online

Similar Products Used:   There is nothing similar.

Bike Setup:   road frame, standard size seatpost, BOB Yak trailer with waterbottle cage hoseclamped on out of the cargo area by the wheel

Submitted by Eric a Downhiller from Eagan, MN

Date Reviewed: August 22, 2004

Strengths:    Flawless product. Built well and shines bright as day!! Truly visible during the day. Folks who post that this is NOT bright and ineffective obviuosly are about as smart as a bag of hammers. This thing ROCKS!

Weaknesses:    Permenantly affixed cord is kind of a pain, but mounting it with the velcro strips along the main frame bar makes it hassle free. My seat tube was also too big for the mount. I just went to the hardware store and bought a little longer metric #5 bolt to place in the mount since the original screw bolt was too short, works like a dream!

Bottom Line:
DO NOT BUY IF YOU ARE SOMEONE WHO CAN NOT TURN A SCREW. This is got to be the best product out there on the market, as with everything you need to take care of your equipment. The connections should be pampered. Use your noggin while connecting the product and be creative in the way you mount your niterider gear so it doesn't become bothersome. I have used this on the Lebanon Hills course in Eagan, MN and the flashing light ran the entire run of the most difficult course. It took all the bumps and whacks from the terrain with out any issues. I did have one problem with the connector coming apart on a sharp turn, fixed that problem by rerouting the connection cables and using the velcro ties. The system works flawlessly!! Night riding rocks with this system setup!! I run joggers off the road and trails just from the light intensity. They don't know if I could be a corn combine coming at them or what! :-)
Just waiting for a cop to stop me now and tell me to turn it off because I hurt his little ego feelings with it.
Sorry boys, you'll need to get approval from a judge!! I'm riding on my friends!!

Favorite Trail:   Lebanon Hills

Purchased At:   beyondbikes.com

Similar Products Used:   Cateye stuff, not bad, but this product RIPS!

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher Cake2 DLX, Bontrager cranks/BB, Michelin HOT-S tires, Nokian Freddy Revenz(rear) Nokian Extreem 296(front) Hayes Disc brakes, Niterider STORM and BLOWTORCH, YETI grips, Bontrager rims/hubs, Cateye spedometer, TOPEAK Alien 2, TOPEAK digital E-Shock pump, Goodridge Hydraulic cables, Cane Creek headset. WARNING! Protected by German Shepherd!!

Submitted by Chad Milton from Grand Rapids

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2004

Strengths:    Very,Very bright, small, and well built

Bottom Line:
You can't play when it comes to safety. Nterider has out done itself with this tail light. I have never seen a lighte so bright, small, and truly daylight visible until I saw this tail light. This light out shines many car tail lights. You can hardly look at it without getting a head ache. Their is nothing absolutely nothing on the market that can compete with this light. I have two of these (clear) lights on my Trek 4300. Many people complain about the price of this light but, can you put a price tag on your life? I'd rather pay for safety than pay for a hospital or funeral bill. The truth is, this light is simply super bright, small and worth the $50 buckaroooooos.

Favorite Trail:   whitehall

Purchased At:   Alger Schwin

Bike Setup:   Trek 4300 with Shimano mechanical disc,Sigma Sport wireless computer w/green led light, Niterider Digital Pro 12 with LCD, Polar Ice insulated water bottle, Wrench Force air pump, (keep in hydropack)Vistalite 15watt light,Trek armless seat post rack

Submitted by chuck cypert a Cross Country Rider from dallas, the metromess

Date Reviewed: December 24, 2003

Strengths:    Pretty bright, for a bike taillight.

Weaknesses:    Funky connectors, somewhat limited mounting based on included seat post clamp.

Bottom Line:
I have had problems with this unit. You get an in-line splice that connects the taillight and headlight/battery combo. Mine has developed a intermittent problem in either the splice or the connector from the taillight and it will either turn itself on unexpectedly, or it will not stay flashing while riding along. I guess as long as it does not turn itself off while riding then this is not an emergency, but I am definitely going to get it replaced either at the LBS or through NiteRider.

I own a bunch of NiteRider stuff and will continue to buy from them, but I was a little suprised I had problems with this unit because it appears to be built rock solid.

Favorite Trail:   Old Ore Road

Purchased At:   Richardson Bike Mart

Similar Products Used:   Various VistaLites over the years, still pack one for backup.

Bike Setup:   Beater mountain bike set up for commuting.

Submitted by Andrew a Cross Country Rider from Lawrenceville, NJ, USA

Date Reviewed: November 25, 2003

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    Overpriced, not bright enough to be seen well by approaching cars.

Bottom Line:
I bought one of these a couple of weeks ago to add to my existing pre-2001 niterider system (the newer models are only compatible with sure-loc connectors). I had read several reviews on newsgroups etc stating how wonderful this light was and decided for safety's sake to shell out the bucks for it ($45 +shipping).

Niterider claims that this light is daylight visible and that it is significantly (10-30 times) brighter than other LED tail lights. I found both of these claims to be false. The main issue with the light is that niterider uses LED's with a very small (I think 12 degree) beam spread and that all of these LED's are facing out at exactly the same angle. Thus, one can only observe the full brightness potential of the light if you are facing it directly head on. If you are slightly to the side of the light or above or below where it is aimed it quickly becomes quite dim. This makes a huge difference if you wish for the cars coming up behind you to see you well. In general they will not be directly behind and in the exact right position to really see the light. I tested this out with my wife by riding up and down our street at night. The niterider tail light was no effectively brighter than an ordinary 5 LED model powered by two AA batteries.

Another drawback to the light (if not being overpriced and not visible were not enough) is that it must be semi-permanently affixed to your bike (screw mounting, not quick release). This will greatly increase wear and tear on the light (especially if you ride off road at all). The second annoying mounting issue is that the power cord is permanently attached to the light so obviously the cord will also have to stay permanently affixed to the bike.

Bottom Line: This light is over priced, poorly designed and just plain doesn't work.

Favorite Trail:   D&R towpath (for commuting)

Purchased At:   45

Similar Products Used:   many brands of AA powered tail lights

Submitted by Ronaldo Dalisay a Cross Country Rider from Dededo, Guam USA

Date Reviewed: September 23, 2003

Strengths:    Super Bright and can be used with NiteRider Headlight system.

Weaknesses:    Cords

Bottom Line:
Excellent product for the price. I love the fact that you can use it with the NiteRider Headlight system, thus you don't have to worry about changing batteries all the time. In addition, it's the light is so bright that it lives up to it's advertised 1 to 2 mile visual range.

Favorite Trail:   Nimitz Hill

Purchased At:   PerformanceBike.Com

Similar Products Used:   Cateye

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Super V 500 with full XT setup

Submitted by Rob Beck a Cross Country Rider from Erie, PA, USA

Date Reviewed: November 11, 2002

Strengths:    I have had more people come up to me and ask what this light is. It is super bright flashes at a great speed and is very eye catching. IT integrates seamlessly into the niterider system. Does not pull a lot of power and is a terrific product

Weaknesses:    My only complaint is that the mounting system used was not capable of fitting around my seat tube because my tube is slightly oversized so I had to settle for a custom made velcro thingy that I made to mount on the back of my hydration system backpack that attaches the ring to a daisy chain loop. Still working the bugs out of that issue. Again Niterider is not cheap in price but is well built and you usually get what you pay for.

Bottom Line:
By far the brightest tail light I have ever seen on the road or trail. just need a little

Purchased At:   Competitive Gear

Similar Products Used:   first tail light I have used

Bike Setup:   TREK Fuel 100

Submitted by Philip a Cross Country Rider from Kodiak, Alaska

Date Reviewed: October 5, 2002

Strengths:    Fabulously bright. Just incredible power. Cars pull over thinking there is an emergency vehicle approaching. Crazy bright. Very low battery draw. Permanent mounting system not as clever as quick release head light clamp.

Weaknesses:    NR changes their plug styles about every two years. So stupid. Their systems are on a plan of forced obsolescence all the time. If you buy a new headlight today, your old tail light won't work with it. The new (2002/03) plugs are scary too. They use these tiny slide clips for the contacts and I can imagine if you plug the thing together and it is not perfectly aligned, you will mash the copper parts all to hell. Hasn't happened yet, just looks incredibly weak. Also, I broke the plug where the light gets hooked in-line with the head light (this was on my older 2000 model with the old, long plugs- now obsolete). It had bad casting of the plastic around the wires, was weak and failed. I returned it to REI for refund. Now they are coming out with a new plug (go figure!) so I ordered a new head and tail light from REI. If it breaks again, I have recourse. You can usually find some online coupons for REI, so you can get a decent deal. Just keep the receipt.

Bottom Line:
A very bright tail light. Has had some problems with the plug systems over the years. They need to put some alignment marks on the plugs so you can figure out the necessary orientation for plugging it together in the dark! The older plugs did not require a specific orientation (although the old-old ones did: many generations ago!). Those were much better (but mine broke). Nothing else comes close for safety, however, so I'll stick with it.

4 flaming turds for value because although they are expensive, they are unique and I'm glad they exist.

3 flaming turds for overall because the plugs still suck and the mounting could be improved greatly (quick release).

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   Various tail blinkers. Vistalights are also pretty bright and cheap.

Bike Setup:   Commuter

Submitted by Ken Neuschwanger a Cross Country Rider from Oregon City, Oregon

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2002

Strengths:    It is the brightest light available, hands down nobody makes a brighter light, nobody even comes close. Rechargeable battery, no light fading as battery looses charge. NiteRider has a team that stands behind their products.

Weaknesses:    I have not found any weakness. Wait I have one, the new wiring system can come loose. I have chosen to use a half-inch long piece of "red" electrical tape at the connections to keep from ever having this problem.

Bottom Line:
I ride about 6000 miles a year commuting, wintertime riding one way is always dark, and this system makes you feel safer around cars at night than in the day. It is hard not to see this lighting system. Thanks go to NiteRider for making a tail light that works.

Similar Products Used:   Vista and other replaceable battery powered lights.

Vista and other replaceable battery powered lights.

Bike Setup:   Presently I use the NiteRider Digital Evolution on handlebars complimented by Universal tail light, HID storm on helmet. Before upgrading I used the Digital Pro 12 with complimentary taillight and Digital Headtrip on helmet.

Submitted by Donald Webb a Racer from Brooklyn, NY, USA

Date Reviewed: June 14, 2002

Strengths:    16 Ultra Bright Hi-Intensity LEDs, Works with 6 volt and 13.2 volt lighting systems.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
This is the best Taillight available today. This light is so bright that it could be used as a flashlight around the house or in the woods. Traffic behind you will notice you quickly and go around you fast because the light is blinding them. I even had people on motor bikes to ask me where I get the light from. Stop! buying those $2 dollar batteries for those $12 dollar christmas tree tail lights that only keep the light at it's brightest for 2 hours then fades. Get a $59 dollar Niterider taillight and any 2002 lighting system, and watch how your investment pays for it's self.

I have two Niterider taillights hook up together with my Trail Rat 6 volt battery, this set up is Brighter than car brake lights. I bought the Niterider Trail Rat 2.0 for $89.99 at Performancebike just for the 6 volt battery that it comes with. If I had bought the battery by it self, it would have cost me about $69 bucks and it would not come with a Charger, bar clamp and 10 watt halogen bulb. I don't really use that light much unless I need to, because I have the Niterider Storm H.I.D light for my helmet. The 6 volt Trail Rat battery runs the two taillights at the same time, just connect the two taillights cables together, then plug in the battery and your set. Your bike will look like it's on fire from behind.

When I called Nite Rider to ask them if two taillights can be connected at the same time a guy told me no it can't, because it wont be able to fit . He said I should buy another battery, I bought another taillight anyway and it works perfect. I highly recommend this light set up above, you will be highly visible on the road and remember were talking about your Safety!!!

My wife and I have the same bike light set up, thats 2 Storm H.I.D lights, 2 Trail Rat 2.0 lights and 4 Niterider taillights total cost $1199.92 Most people would say thats to expensive, I say when it come to your safety on the road, price shouldn't matter at all. Most people today drive their cars like animals, so do yourself a favour and get this Niterider taillight on your bike today. You have to see it for yourself to understand the brightness.

Donald Webb a.k.a Ringo

Purchased At:   Performancebike.com

Similar Products Used:   No other taillight is similar to this product.

Submitted by Anthony from Boulder, Co

Date Reviewed: December 13, 2001

Strengths:    might as well head straight to the bottom line.

Weaknesses:    right...

Bottom Line:
I got this to go with my digital 12e that I commuted at night with for over a year, and I loved it. Like everyone else says, its so bright its funny. My last concern once I mounted this was being visible. Believe it or not, but it actually seems brighter than a lot of headlights out there. It visibly lights things up behind you. Its also as tough as you could possibly need. It is high priced, but for what you get and for the fact it runs of your monster rechargable battery, its well worth it.

best bike tail light ever, ride with laser lane

Very few people know that traffic law indicates that bicycles must maintain at least 1.5m lateral distance when overtaking bicycles. This light should help (at least overnight) people to visualize it. [IMG]http://www.loveislight.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/LED-LASER-TAIL-LIGHT-LIGHT-UP-EVER ... Read More »

so Dinotte has a tail light 3X brigther than the 300R ...

[url=http://store.dinottelighting.com/daytime-red-taillight---400-lumens--seat-post-seat-stay-chain-stay-or-rack-mount-p188.aspx]DAYTIME RED Taillight - 400+ Lumens seat post, seat stay, chain stay or rack mount -- DiNotte Lighting USA Online Store[/url] and of course being Dinotte they couldn't ... Read More »

MagicShine MJ-818 Tail Light - Custom Threaded Rack Mount

I recently bought a MagicShine MJ-818 for a commuter bike I'm building for my wife. I didn't like the rubber band mount and wanted a more solid way to mount it to the back of a Topeak Explorer rear rack so I did a little customizing. I'm adding these pictures and details here to help out anyone in ... Read More »

Found on NTM last night - bike tail light

PM or post here if you lost one. Describe what you lost. If this is yours, we can make arrangements to get it back to you.Read More »

Found: Tail light