NiteRider Sol Older Lights

• Handlebar Mount - Fits up to 31.8mm
  • 8 HR Linear Smart Charger

Submitted by c s

Date Reviewed: November 26, 2012

Strengths:    Bright light when it works.

Weaknesses:    Connection from light to battery easily broken. Battery loses ability to hold charge after few charges. I traded in the defective battery for a second battery at a Performance shop where I purchased Sol. I agree with all the others who rate this product as a 1. Based on everyone's experiences with the company, I recommend not giving them any further business.

Bottom Line:
It seems the company knew about the defects. Why bother giving NiteRider your business if they are not willing to support their product?

Submitted by Aaron a Cross Country Rider from Catonsville, MD

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2011

Strengths:    Price, size, and weight

Weaknesses:    Operation, got it home from the store brand new and the battery would not take ANY charge!

Bottom Line:
DO NOT PURCHASE THIS LIGHT. This is my third Nite Rider Product and it was as if the Sol 200 was a counterfiet bc Nite Rider in the past for me has been such a great product.

Purchased At:   Performancebike

Similar Products Used:   Never anything a small as a Sol 200, I still have a 8 year old Night Rider HID with the POP connector, heavy and still get 2 hours of run time.

Submitted by mtxjohn a Weekend Warrior from Metro, MN USA

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2010

Strengths:    Light weight, comparable to old 10W halogen. Plenty bright for the price when working.

Weaknesses:    Battery broke after 3 charge/discharge cycles. Do not buy this product. I read the other reviews and bought it anyway because performancebike has an unlimited retuirn policy and now I have to return it for something better.

Bottom Line:
I rated this a ONE due to premature failure. Three charge cycles? PATHETIC! I'm no newbie when it comes to rechargeable batteries and different technologies as I also used to race RC cars-but this is completely unacceptable. When the battery would hold a charge this was a great product. I'm not a huge fan of the parasitic drain (you have to disconnect the battery when not in use, PITA) as well as the way the charger works, but not Im onto more expensive lights. Performance has a lifetime return policy-and with headlights (like hard drives) its a matter of WHEN not IF they will break, I was hoping to get a few years usage and not a few weeks usage out of this.

Favorite Trail:   Leb

Purchased At:   performance bike

Similar Products Used:   old 10w halogen SLA battery setup

Submitted by pogojim a Weekend Warrior from Gold Coast, Australia

Date Reviewed: March 16, 2010

Strengths:    Simple to attach...I like the o-ring. Small battery.

Weaknesses:    Has been in for warranty repair twice and is now once again inoperable. Light output is decent but hardly it's strong point and it drops off dramatically when charge drops.

Bottom Line:
Not bright enough for trail riding but bright enough to get you home. My own set had charging problems and now the wiring is broken (despite being well treated). They've been almost completely useless. Would make a decent commuter light if they were reliable.

Favorite Trail:   Nerang

Similar Products Used:   DIY products.

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Prophet.

Submitted by blackaero a Cross Country Rider from Portland, OR

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2009

Strengths:    When this light works, it works very well.

Weaknesses:    The sadness here is that the light was $130.00 and a replacement battery is $100. The battery lasted for one year, and needs to be replaced. The light is now an ornament on my workbench because I refuse to buy the replacement battery to have it only last another year.

Bottom Line:
If you buy this light, you need to expect not to trust it. Especially if you are on a night trail. The battery will wear to the point of being worthless.

Favorite Trail:   Harborton rd.

Similar Products Used:   none, but will be.

Bike Setup:   Spec. Enduro

Submitted by Steve Lusk a Cross Country Rider from Australia

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2009

Strengths:    Size, battery endurance

Weaknesses:    does not work for long before breaking

Bottom Line:
The $30 dollar cat eye gives the same brightness and throw I know this because I use them together.

I only used the sol a dozen times or so in dry conditions I only charded it about 5 times total before it just stopped working.

The warranty is not worth anything when you read the fine print.

Will not recomend or touch Nite Rider again again

Favorite Trail:   Bibluman

Purchased At:   Performance Cycles S

Similar Products Used:   Standard cat eye AAA batterys
surefire tactical light

Bike Setup:   mountain bike X/C helmet mounted sol and cat eye on handle bars

Submitted by hunrugger a Cross Country Rider from Austin, TX, USA

Date Reviewed: February 19, 2009

Strengths:    Bright, long battery life, versatily, weight, looks, quick charging

Bottom Line:
Excellent light for trails, very bright, illuminates without 'washing out' the features that you need to see.

Favorite Trail:   Slinky

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   NiteRider Minewt

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Gemini, Fox Vanilla RC, Manitou Sherman Breakout, Juicy 7s, Race Face bars, cranks, Synchros 1.5 stem, some Salsa and Transition red bling

Submitted by pkoran a Weekend Warrior from US

Date Reviewed: September 20, 2008

Strengths:    Bright lights when they work. I would not recommend this lights to anyone.

Weaknesses:    The product is NOT as avertised. $300 unit is trash after one season. The cell failed and the thing just stopped working. Before that the connector would fall out while riding in the dark. Try going down a hill and having your light suddenly shut off. I really don't think the product was tested enough before it went on the market. Niterider support implied I did not tell them the truth ( This made my blood boil. )

Bottom Line:
I am out $300. NiteRider is not standing behind the product. They will only fix it according to the warrenty. I really feel like a sucker.

Purchased At:   Gooddales bike nashu

Submitted by sue a Weekend Warrior from Australia

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2008

Strengths:    Small, light weight, easy to swop onto different bikes

Weaknesses:    Warranty. No after sales service

Bottom Line:
I had the light for less than a year and loved it. It is great for the road not so sure about the trail. The lead attached to the light became loose and the light stopped working. Nite rider refused to fix the light under warranty so I had to pay to get it fixed. They put a plastic cap around the join to protect it and I have noticed that on the newer models they have the same cap so it must have been a common problem. Another two friends of mine had battery problems and Nite Rider has refused to replace them. The bike shop owner told me it was very difficult to get anything replaced or fixed under warranty. Despite the fact I thought it was great it's after sales service reduces it to 1 chili!

Submitted by Farminpow a Cross Country Rider from Flatland, Midwest, USA

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2008

Strengths:    Price, weight, burn and charge time.

Weaknesses:    Not as bright as I expected

Bottom Line:
Great light for commuting and a little offroad. If you are looking for a true offroad light, you should get something else...for the price, it's sweet!

Favorite Trail:   DIRT

Purchased At:   Jensen

Similar Products Used:   Other NiteRider lights

Bike Setup:   Redline Monocog 29er, some stock, some upgrades.

Submitted by Steve Reyes a Weekend Warrior from Portland,Or.

Date Reviewed: December 16, 2007

Strengths:    Solid construction,light weight.Fits 31.8 bars.

Weaknesses:    none so far.

Bottom Line:
For what I paid I'm very impressed.I've only been around the block with it so far.Oh,I did head up the trail behind my house.Maybe a 1/4 mile or so pitch black.Came down and hit at least 25 mph.I had no problem.But sure you could use more light.But this isn't it's primary use.It's for commuting.I'm sure it will be more than adequate.If I wanted to upgrade,I think I would get another one and stick it on my helmet.

Favorite Trail:   haven't been there yet

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Nightrider Classic.Viewpoint dual.

Bike Setup:   Banshee Sirocco,Hollyroller/Hookworm tires for the street/good trails.

Submitted by Ed Hawk a Cross Country Rider from Marietta

Date Reviewed: October 19, 2007

Strengths:    Solid construction, light weight.

Weaknesses:    Not bright enough, no flasher mode for commuting, too expensive for brightness level.

Bottom Line:
I need a new light for commuting. It's getting to be Winter, which means that I'll be spending the majority of my rides in the dark. I had read smoking reviews on the Minewt (predecessor to this light), claims of 26-28mph without outrunning the light, etc... The Sol is supposed to be brighter than the Minewt if hype is to be believed (I derived this by the Minewt X.2 saying it was twice as bright as the Minewt @ 150 lumens, and the Sol is supposed to be 115 lumens), but there is no way, unless you ride in a cave, that you can ride at 26 mph and be able to see. But all of the reviews concurred, so I have to assume that the Sol is a lot of hype. I have been unable to find any specific specs on the Minewt as well, so I can't compare.

It seems really well made, and I don't doubt the 6 hour run time. The beam shape is very nice as well (no weird dark circles or anything, just center spot, and nice fall off), but it just isn't bright enough. I only had it home for 30 minutes before deciding; a quick run to the store and back proved that it just isn't even close to what I need. I'm taking it back, and I'll try the X2 I guess. Maybe that does live up to the hype. We'll see.

Favorite Trail:   Chicopee