NiteRider MiNewt.X2 Older Lights

• 4.5 HR Smart Charger

Read the Pro Review on This Product Here>>

Submitted by jsnapdotcom a Weekend Warrior from Rosamond,CA,USA

Date Reviewed: February 22, 2010

Strengths:    Bright , light , kinda cool looking and the commuter strobe setting freaks out the tweakers

Weaknesses:    I would like more light output this is 150 lumens and the X2 dual is 300 lumens and you can find it for the same price if you shop around.

Bottom Line:
If you need a light and you have a weight complex buy this if you don't care about weight buy the X2 dual it's double the light and the same price .

Purchased At:   Amazon.com

Similar Products Used:   nothing close

Bike Setup:   Mongoose Otero Elite - A couple Goodies

Submitted by sheepman a Cross Country Rider from New Hartford, NY, USA

Date Reviewed: February 21, 2010

Strengths:    The MiNewt.X2 is a light, bright light in a sturdy package. I have used the light on cross-country single track without need for a bar light.

Weaknesses:    Unfortunately, reliability is horrible. The light refused to work and I returned it to Niterider. They "repaired", not very quickly, and the returned light worked for less than 1 month. I returned it again, this time they held on to it for over 3 weeks only to tell me there was nothing wrong with the light!! I got it back, it worked in the bike shop, but never again after that. Luckily my shop gave me my money back. I have had another Niterider digital headtrip that died after the "smart" charger fried the battery. I will NEVER buy another Niterider. Their customer service leaves a lot to be desired.

Bottom Line:
I would not recommend that anyone buy this light. The battery fails to hold a charge, replacements are far too expensive. The light did not come with a helmet mount or an extension cord, bith necessary for winter riding. Niterider customer service is pretty bad. If you want a reliable light look elsewhere. I just purchased a Dinotte 400L since a number of riders in my group have them and like it.

Purchased At:   local bike shop

Similar Products Used:   Niterider Digital Headtrip.

Bike Setup:   Trek 8000 hard tail.

Submitted by Tenacious E a Cross Country Rider from Olympia, WA

Date Reviewed: December 2, 2009

Strengths:    compact, lightweight

Weaknesses:    light output, unpredictable battery life

Bottom Line:
Light output could be much better. My Ay-Up lights easily outside this one. The major problem I encountered was the unpredictable battery life. The advertised run time is 3 hours on the highest setting. The longest I've gotten is about 2.5 hours, but now it only lasts about 1 hour. Good thing REI has a 100% guaranteed return policy. Probably a great commuting light, but need something more predictable, long lasting, and brighter for the trail.

Similar Products Used:   Ay-Up

Bike Setup:   Norco Fluid 1, stock except for 09 Rockshox Revelation fork

Submitted by pogojim a Weekend Warrior from Gold Coast

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2009

Strengths:    Small, light, easy to fit onto multiple bikes

Weaknesses:    Unreliable, doesn't seem to charge properly, short battery life.

Bottom Line:
I'm on my second unit and this one is only slightly better than the last. My wife's 1 watt commuter LED often out-powers my light. My $30 combo set often out-shines this light. It never seems to charge properly - usual charge time is 10 minutes! - and the bright initial light fades to virtually nothing in about 5-10 minutes. On the one or two occasions when it has come on at full-strength it has been brilliant, but as a reliable trail or commute ready device it is absolute rubbish. (I have tried two seperate battery/light/charger units so I don't have any single faulty component.)

As an example, I took it off the charger on Friday night to use it on my ride to soccer. The ride is 10 min tops. By the time I got there the light was almost totally diminished.

If it charged properly it might score a 5. As it is 1 chili seems generous.

Favorite Trail:   Nerang SF

Similar Products Used:   Home-made set-ups

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Prophet. Single-speed bitza.

Submitted by Imprezsia a Cross Country Rider from Lambertville, NJ

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2009

Strengths:    Small, Light Weight, Fast Charge Time

Weaknesses:    Breaks Easily, Doesn't throw off a ton of light down trail (useful for 30min before to an hour or so after dusk) I'm actually on my second replacement right now. The first time the led blew after about 160 hours of riding. This last time the cord broke loose from the plug connector. Niterider has replaced it the first time... actually sent out the light today to be fixed so I'm not sure if it will be warrantied again.

Bottom Line:
It doesn't take abuse... but if you pamper it or use it on your road bike im sure you'll be fine.

Favorite Trail:   Baldpate Mountain

Similar Products Used:   Princeton Tec Switch Back 3, Light & Motion Seca 700 Race

Bike Setup:   1998 Cannondale F500 1x9 XTR, XT, Saint, Raceface Crankset

Submitted by DrAxeman a Weekend Warrior from Napa, CA

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2009

Strengths:    Amazing amount of light! It really lights up the trail. Guys I know with bigger systems are impressed. Great battery life.

Weaknesses:    Not much difference between the 2 brightness settings. Not sure how much of a weakness this is.

Bottom Line:
Great light for night trips

Favorite Trail:   Angwin

Purchased At:   Bicycle Works

Similar Products Used:   Catseye

Bike Setup:   Modified Trek 4300

Submitted by lonefrontranger a Cross Country Rider from Boulder, CO USA

Date Reviewed: February 28, 2009

Strengths:    bright, compact, nice mounting system

Weaknesses:    batteries, just like all NR systems, they suck!

Bottom Line:
I've had the same experience as the guy from Kansas below. I used this light for about 2 months as a commuter light, bought last October. About mid-January I began to have trouble getting it to hold a charge. Recently it stopped charging and won't turn on.

This is the exact same experience I've had with 2 other NightRider systems in the past. I don't know what it is about my riding style or charging style. My boyfriend swears I don't do anything different charging them or using them than he does. I just have had horrible luck with them. I will be warrantying this light through Performance and I'm afraid it's my last attempt using NightRider products.

Favorite Trail:   Picture Rock

Similar Products Used:   dinotte, several cateye small lights, other NR systems

Bike Setup:   2008 Trance X, 1999 Schwinn 9.5 hardtail

Submitted by theMayor a Cross Country Rider from Arlington, Va

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2009

Strengths:    small
lightweight
easy to use/adjust/mount
bright white light with no dead spots
long battery run time

Weaknesses:    short cable makes this light difficult to mount on some frames, cable can be easily yanked out of battery

Bottom Line:
I've used this light for about 3 weeks, each night and several mornings for commuting/trail riding. It only recently needed its 2nd charge, and that was after I started using the high setting all the time, as well as for morning use! The charge lasts surprisingly long, but needs to be conditioned properly for a better review. The light's cable is too short to mount on my gusseted top tube with a 110 stem, but luckily fits on the stem. *Hopefully* it will still be useable when I install a 50mm. Still haven't tried pitch black trail riding, but doubt the light output/beam pattern would be enough to haul ass confidently. With a second light, one on the helmet, this would be perfect for all out riding in 0% light. As is, this light is perfect for city/road use.

Purchased At:   Revolution Cycles

Bike Setup:   07 SC Chameleon

Submitted by piers a Cross Country Rider from Austin, TX

Date Reviewed: January 9, 2009

Strengths:    Lots of light, excellent electrical design, lightweight, pleasing beam, excellent runtime.

Weaknesses:    Short cable, mount not suitable for helmet, had to be modified.

Bottom Line:
Bought this and the Dual X2, to replace a NR Classic and Headtrip. I was skeptical there would be enough light to match the flood on the Classic, but I loved these lights immediately.

Not wanting to mount my battery on the helmet, and wanting to continue to use my Headtrip mount for myself and universal mount when lending this light to others, I just replaced the rubbery foot with the foot from the Headtrip, and the mount is now "old-style". The foot screws in (not glue as mentioned in another review).

The short cable had to be extended so the battery can be in my pack, and not where it can be knocked off as easily by branches. Just personal preference, but I didn't want to spend $20 on a helmet mount (which the light did not come with), and $30 on an extension cord.

Overall, I recommend this and the Dual X2 to everyone who asks.

Favorite Trail:   City Park

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   NR Digial Headtrip, etc.

Bike Setup:   Prophet with Lefty.

Submitted by trekex9 a Weekend Warrior from Boise, ID, USA

Date Reviewed: November 22, 2008

Strengths:    This is a great small package, and the light works very well for commuting. It's perfect for that application, except for poor battery life.

Weaknesses:    The battery life isn't close to what is claimed, and a replacement battery is ridiculously expensive. Dinotte has much better pricing on batteries. NR claims the charger is a "smart" charger, but it always takes 4 hours to charge the battery, no matter the state of charge!

Bottom Line:
I wouldn't buy another Niterider product. I've seen the Dinotte lineup and that would be my preferred option. Niterider factory support/response is lukewarm at best.

Bike Setup:   Trek SOHO

Submitted by csandersen1 a Cross Country Rider from Sun City, AZ, USA

Date Reviewed: November 7, 2008

Strengths:    Pretty much everything.

Weaknesses:    Doesn't come with the helmet mount kit.

Bottom Line:
This is a fantastic light for the price, especially if you can get it cheap on a price-match situation (hint: Blue Sky Cycling, according to my research, usually had the cheapest prices on lights).

I have the Minewt X2 Dual for my bars, and to be honest, on most of my night rides I could do without the bar setup and just use the Minewt single on my helmet. In fact, several of the other guys in our group do exactly that, and they're fine.

I started using this setup this year for 24-hour races, and have loved it. Burn time and charge time is great, and it's a nice, low-weight, bright light. In fact, most of the time I don't use the high setting, as the low isn't much dimmer than the high and it greatly extends battery life on low.

Great light, I can't imagine a better one in that price range.

Favorite Trail:   Black Canyon Trail

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   CygoLite products.

Bike Setup:   '07 Stumpy.

Submitted by consciencedub a Cross Country Rider from Pittsburgh

Date Reviewed: October 24, 2008

Strengths:    Small in size and therefore lightweight. Simple to mount (gimbel). Great helmet lamp for serious singletrack riding, when used with a bar mount light. Long burn time.

Weaknesses:    On/off switch on battery, so it could be out of reach depending on where you place it.

Bottom Line:
Use this X2 on the helmet. Attach the battery to your camelback strap for easy on off. Buy a Trinewt for the bars (same burn times, mega bright. Place the battery in a water bottle for mounting/waterproofing). Then you have a dream setup for riding in the pitch black forest. Get the knog frogs for added safety/backup light. I can ride fast. At night!

Favorite Trail:   North Park

Purchased At:   Scholl's

Similar Products Used:   Niterider halogens.

Submitted by A K Rider a Cross Country Rider from Anchorage

Date Reviewed: September 27, 2008

Strengths:    Small, great beam pattern, helmet mount capable

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
Great light. Well built. Good battery life.

Super powerfull for the size. Excellent beam pattern.

Get the helmet mount, you'll be glad you did.

The "Surefire" of the bike light world. {If you have to ask...}

Purchased At:   REI

Bike Setup:   Fisher Hi-Fi Plus: Mtn.
Trek Pilot 5.0 Carbon: Road

Submitted by BigDaddy a Weekend Warrior from San Jose, CA

Date Reviewed: July 31, 2008

Strengths:    VERY BRIGHT

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
I use this for commuting through city streets and back trails. I have it mounted on my handle bars. When riding through areas of pitch blackness, this single source of light makes the darkness seems like day. I am very amazed that such a small light illuminates so much AND drivers can see you! Its also very light in weight.

So far this is the best and most perfect light source for my commuting and type of riding.