NiteRider Evolution Older Lights

The Evolution employs a competition blinding custom tuned 10 watt halogen bulb, allowing the rider to enjoy nearly 2:30 hours of night riding fun. Not certain whether you want to mount your light on your handlebars or helmet? Not to worry, the Evolution includes both a universal handlebar mount, able to fit oversized bars and a helmet mount. Ease of operation and mounting flexibility make the Evolution a favorite among commuters and offroad enthusiasts alike.

Submitted by mgbiker a Cross Country Rider from Boulder, Co, usa

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2010

Strengths:    A great light. I've had it for 4 years and it keeps going. Great customer service. Replaced broken mount.

Weaknesses:    I wish it didn't cost so much.

Bottom Line:
Excellent light.

Submitted by Marcus Marchegger a Cross Country Rider from Carson City, NV USA

Date Reviewed: June 28, 2007

Strengths:    Its Bright

Weaknesses:    totally unrelieable. I have sent it along with my STORM HID back to San Diego at least 10 times over the last 3 years. This last trip cost another $88.00

Bottom Line:
Totally unreliable. My Niterider classic was the bomb. I was a big believer in Niterider quality. My upgrade to a digital evolution was a let down. I bought an HID so I could ride with two in case one went out. One always goes out. I only use them about 5 times a year. They Suck. Next time it goes out I am just going to send it back to San Diego to the president of Niterider to shove up his ass.

Favorite Trail:   Ash Canyon, Tahoe Rim

Similar Products Used:   Niterider Classic

Bike Setup:   Marin Mt Vision Pro

Submitted by flint carlton a Cross Country Rider from gresham, OR

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2007

Strengths:    Bright, customer service

Weaknesses:    Bad connectors.

Bottom Line:
Steer clear of this light. I've used a Trail Rat for years with no problems. This one has been returned for service several times. Customer service said they had a batch of bad wiring and have upgraded/replaced the wiring and maybe electronics. But it still doesn't work correctly. I get a half-hour out of it then it just dies with no warning. I've lost faith in this product. I only use it during the winter with short daylight hours. I think it's been in for repair more than actual use.

Purchased At:   River City

Similar Products Used:   Trail Rat, & H.I.D.

Bike Setup:   Giant NRS Carbon, S-Works Enduro

Submitted by Mitch a Weekend Warrior from Newcastle, NSW Australia

Date Reviewed: October 20, 2006

Strengths:    Cool packaging and carry case, quality handlebar mount, size and weight of battery

Weaknesses:    Wiring connector individual pins prone to damage,
Charger is not a smart charger and will not power down to avoid over charging,
Unit only lasted 10 minutes during its first outing before malfunction

Bottom Line:
I came home and read all the reviews after buying this product and hoped my 2006 model was going to be ungraded over the earlier versions.
I charged it up as per the instructions to the last minute and no more and took it out for a run.
Lucky I had my other light mounted on my helmet as my new light set only lasted 10 - 15 minutes and would not work again. I checked the cabing had not come apart and still no success. My guess is the bulb blew out or the switch or ?????? like some of the earlier units.
I don't blame the bike shop where I bought it from, I just wish I'd read some reviews before buying this unit. The bike shop let me exchange it for some cheaper lights and were very good about the whole thing.
I'd probably rate these lights a 4 out of 5 if they had worked longer than a few minutes. I think the bike shop deserves a 5 for letting me exchange them!

Favorite Trail:   Killingworth

Similar Products Used:   NiteFlux Vision Stick - excellent product

Bike Setup:   Stumpjumper HT

Submitted by Mark Wigfield a Cross Country Rider from Arlington VA USA

Date Reviewed: April 21, 2004

Strengths:    Started out with a good, focussed beam, useful helmet mount.

Weaknesses:    Unreliable. Replacment beam weaker than original.

Bottom Line:
Bulb blew out after 3 months. Replacement was far dimmer than original. Then, at 6 months, some kind of loose disconnection caused light to suddenly cut off and on. Problem similar to that described in the many negative reviews of the Digital Evolution. Appeared to be in cord connection to headlight. REturned to REI, which gave me a new one, bless their hearts. We'll see how this one does.
Still irked by the lack of an LED confirming that a charge is on.

Favorite Trail:   Douthat State Park, VA

Purchased At:   REI

Bike Setup:   Helmet mount. Use light for commuting.Haven't used on trail.

Submitted by Mark Wigfield a Cross Country Rider from Arlington VA

Date Reviewed: December 1, 2003

Strengths:    Beam is focussed, helmet mount works well, also has bar mount.

Weaknesses:    Why doesn't Nite Rider spend the 15 cents it would cost them to put an LED on the battery that lights when it is being charged. More than once I have found after a night of supposed charging that the battery had not in fact been charged because a connection wasn't quite tight enough, or the charger had slipped slightly out of the outlet. A little bitty red glowy light would give you the assurance that you were in fact charging the battery.

Bottom Line:
Light is adequate for commuting. Beam is focussed and bright white; helmet mount works great. Nice to have flexibility of bar mount. Battery tucks easily into jersey pouch.

But Nite Rider cut some corners on this one by failing to put an LED on the charger or battery. No excuse for that given the amount you pay for these lights (I got mine on sale for about $115, but list is $140, I believe). It makes it hard to know if charger is working.

I think this light's 10 watts would be marginal for trail use. If you want 15 watts, you have to pay about another $100 buy the more expensive verision with the fuel gauge, etc. Marketing, marketing.

Favorite Trail:   Douthat State Park, VA

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   Old nite rider w/ 15 watt, which was better than ten and lasted just as long until battery wore out. Lite & Motion commuter light ($99) that I returned because beam too unfocussed

Bike Setup:   I use this light for commuting, and the head mount is very good for both seeing as you are cornering and flashing cars to get their attention.

Submitted by KT nah a Cross Country Rider from New York

Date Reviewed: November 21, 2002

Strengths:    Very white light, typically better than advertised burn times, 2 mounts are handy

Weaknesses:    I'll get into it, nothing major...I hope

Bottom Line:
This is for the Digital Evolution
First I'll state the problem as brief as possible. Light started flickering, loose connection with battery cord. Replaced and sent back, not working and back with NR now. I think they'll get it right.
I've used this light a considerable amount, at least 40 times, maybe more, and in a multitude of conditions. The brightness and whiteness of it is much better than the previous Headtrip models. Many times I get a near 10 minutes more of burn time than the stated 1:45 @ 15W. Use primarily as a bar mount, but when out on an easier ride, like to throw it on the head because of the better light. Fuel gauge is cool if used on bars. I'm writing this review even after this frustration because overall I beieve it's a solid product.

Favorite Trail:   many

Purchased At:   Bike Junkie

Similar Products Used:   NR Digital HT II

Bike Setup:   here and there

Submitted by Steve from Bakersfield

Date Reviewed: November 16, 2002

Strengths:    It's bright and provides a fairly good swath of light.

Weaknesses:    The manuel gives vague charging procedures. A bulb blew out after about 3 weeks. I was able to get it replaced from Niterider in a couple of days.

Bottom Line:
The light will enable you to ride at night. You can see about 75' in front of you and 20' to either side. I've used it on the darkest of nights and it worked just fine.

Favorite Trail:   Kern Canyon Trail

Purchased At:   Pricepoint

Submitted by austin a Cross Country Rider from Houston

Date Reviewed: November 13, 2002

Strengths:    1)15watt setting is very bright
2)quickrelease handlebar and helmet mounts
3)fuel guage is handy
4)Use on both my bikes..road&mtn

Weaknesses:    none yet...

Bottom Line:
I have used this twice now on mtn bike trails...and five times on a 20mile roadrides. On the trails, I use the helmet mount, and it brightens up the trail perfectly *having one on my handlebars would b nice too...On the RoadRides i Use the quickrelease handlebar mount, and it works fine, the battery has never run out on me (**knocks on wood) and the fuel guage has helped me out there,

If You Are Curious about what it is like riding at night, BUY A LIGHT, It Is A RUSHH!! find out 4 yourself

This Light is Worth everypenny i spent :)

Favorite Trail:   mem-park

Purchased At:   WEST END

Bike Setup:   GTi-drive...xtr,thompson,mavic,easton,fox shox

Almost all Fox Nude shocks use the Evolution damper....

Ie not the Factory Boost valve damper. Nice one Scott...........Read More »

My Race Bike Evolution

I was thinking today how my my setup has evolved from my first long travel race bike to now and curious to see how other people's have changed as well. I started out on a Mojo HD which I still love to this day Version 1.0 of the HD [URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Salespunk/media/Bikes/DS ... Read More »

2014 Fox 32 Evolution upgrade to FIT Adjust damper?

I wander if anybody already upgraded Fox 32 Evolution fork with FIT Adjust damper? Is this upgrade really significantly improves small bumps sensitivity or fork performance at all?Read More »

2015 Motobecane 529ht quick review. (and evolution!)

OK so I bought the 529ht from BD last week. Received it yesterday and built it last night. Adjusted and tightened everything up this morning and went on a quick ride to make sure everything was good. For 399.00 dollars shipped this is an awesome bike. It has far exceeded my expectations for wh ... Read More »

Airborne Goblin Evolution review

Check out the latest online review for the Goblin Evolution here: [url=http://pete.hitzeman.com/cephas365/tweaked-to-perfection-the-airborne-goblin-evo/]Tweaked to Perfection: The Airborne Goblin Evo - Cephas365[/url] JeremyRead More »