NiteRider Digital Pro-6 Light Older Lights

4.32/5 (41 Reviews)

NiteRider Digital Pro-6 Light

Submitted by Dinty Moore a Weekend Warrior from Austin, TX, USA

Date Reviewed: February 8, 2007

Strengths:    Variable light intensities

Weaknesses:    Battery

Bottom Line:
When my battery died, I called NightRider and their replacement cost was about $ 175. I went to Batteries Plus and they rebuilt the thing for 50 bucks. Works great. Hindsight though, I would probably go ahead and buy a better LED or newer technology light that doesn't take this heavy of a battery.

Purchased At:   REI

Submitted by Brian Stevenson a Weekend Warrior from San Mateo, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: April 18, 2004

Strengths:    Solid light distribution.
Able to conserve battery life with 3 5W,10W,15W settings.
Durable

Weaknesses:    Wished I did my homework about Ni-Cad Battery maintenance when I first got the Digital Pro-6. My battery is dead and there's no way I'm going to spend $110.00 each for both my and my fiancée's replacement batteries from niterider. We've had our light for approximately 3yrs.

Bottom Line:
Has worked well when used, but not used that often. Good light distribution, at least for single track. Used for a handfull of occasional night rides and the Hi-Tech Challenge Adventure Race.

The light is great until it's time to replace the battery!
I've been searching to the ends of the internet for prior knowledge on how to replace this battery! I haven't had any luck.
I opened up the battery housing. It's just 5 D's in series and some insulation spray foam.

I have an Digital Pro-6 Charger...not the newer Brute that NiteRider has as the replacement. I need to find out the following:

1) Will my old charger be able to charge NiMH cells?
If not, I might invest in the Brute for a quicker charge and support for NiMH. My Pro-6 has 5 x 4.5Ah batteries.

2)If I do go with the Brute Charge and NiMH, will my Digital Pro-6 work ok with NiMH? I'll purchase 5 NiMH D's or Sub-C's as close to the same mAh as possible (currently 4500mAh)

If anyone has any tips, let me know. I'll post what I find out once tested. I haven't tried Niterider support, but I assume they'll stick to what their manual says and say x batteries are only compatible with x system and x charger...they're making money on replacement batteries.

Favorite Trail:   Santa Barbara Trails

Purchased At:   Sports Chalet

Similar Products Used:   Older Specializes 4 C Cell System.

Bike Setup:   Older 99'(?) Scott full suspension mtn. bike with XTR and King headset. Decent ride, but wouldn't mind upgrading the frame.

Submitted by Micki a Weekend Warrior from Seattle

Date Reviewed: November 1, 2002

Strengths:    Well built light head, bulb lasts long, nice camlock mount, remote switch, gauge

Weaknesses:    Connector broke, I had to solder it on

Bottom Line:
This light lasted almost 2 commuting years in Seattle rain. I expected it to last a little longer but maybe that's the average. The battery no longer holds a charge and the connector broke off inside the light housing. It's hard to reach but I have managed to solder it back. The light is fairly bright, but narrow. It's a good light for commuting when you need a little something more than a light just to be seen. The gauge showing how much light you have left is helpful and changing light levels is cool. I had a problem with the first charger, but Niterider sent me a new fast charger to replace it. The customer service then was good, but they did not respond to a query I sent them a month ago about the connector. It was out of warranty anyway. I believe it does a good job for what it is designed for, however, I think the connector thing was a poor design.

Similar Products Used:   Cygolite Nite Rover
Jet Lites Starfire I Dual Beam
Niterider Digital Evolution

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher

Submitted by Justin a Cross Country Rider from San Jose, CA USA

Date Reviewed: May 5, 2002

Strengths:    Light seems SOLID!, ease of setup, 5 hour charge time, fuel gauge.

Weaknesses:    battery connector to the light, it came off after like 2 rides. It still works but just make sure you dont lose the piece. Basically part of the connector on the headlamp itself, comes off, if you pull straight out. placing the connector in, still no problems with the light

Bottom Line:
This is for the Digital pro 6 with remote 2001 model. This light is very bright on 15 watts, but 1:45 hour run time, 6 hours on 3 watts(which is soo dim who would bother) I do like the fuel gauge, and the way it has a reserve so you can try to pedal home fast :o) Value is at 4 chilis, overall 3 chilis, if that connector wouldnt have broke soo fast maybe it would have gotten a better rating

Purchased At:   Calabazas Cyclery

Bike Setup:   Cannondale F600 custom

Submitted by Todd a Cross Country Rider from Phx, AZ, US

Date Reviewed: March 11, 2002

Strengths:    Weight, overall funtionality, helmet attachment

Weaknesses:    none yet

Bottom Line:
This was a factory replacement for a 5 year old dual beam that finnaly gave up. They were great to work with, always available and supportive. I will probably upgrade to the HID in a year or 2.

Favorite Trail:   Dynamite

Bike Setup:   road, mountain

Submitted by John a Weekend Warrior from Pasadena, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: November 20, 2001

Strengths:    Fool-proof charger, compact light head, LED "fuel gauge"

Weaknesses:    Variable power output useful primarily for climbing and/or extending burn time

Bottom Line:
This light has a fairly narrow spot beam which is good for seeing straight ahead but bad for seeing along the sides of the trail and/or road. The 10 and 6-watt settings are useful primarily for low, low speeds (e.g. climbing) and for saving battery life to get you home. Many people think the concept of having a "fuel gauge" is useless; I think it's a good idea because I no longer have to guess how much time I have before things go dark. My experience with the fuel gauge is that it's fairly accurate.

I would buy this light only if you don't ride at breakneck speed; otherwise, I would recommend going with a dual-beam setup or an HID system. When riding on the road, I've found that even having a 12/20-watt setup (such as Niterider's Classic) with both bulbs firing isn't sufficient when going over, say, 25 mph. Consequently, I've ordered Light & Motion's ARC (HID) light and will see how that system works out.

In sum, then, if you're serious about riding fast at night I would go with as much light as you can afford. Otherwise, the Digital Pro-6 will serve you just fine.

Purchased At:   Local Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Nightsun Team Issue, Niterider Classic

Submitted by john a Racer from bflo, ny, usa

Date Reviewed: November 15, 2001

Strengths:    durable, light weight, waterproof, readily availible parts and accessories (the tail light is highly reccomended), manufacturer stands behind product, bright (motorists notice you and you can get up to speed at night), reasonable price, nicad batteries really last a long time with smart charger and digital headlamp (years). i haven't really used them much for trail riding, but they are perfect for year round, all weather niteriding in my medium sized city.

Weaknesses:    on/off switch has broken three times over the years. niterider has fixed it promptly each time, tho' if you do alotta niteriding, you might consider buying an extra headlamp.

Bottom Line:
one could definitely do alot worse. while there do seem to be alot more choices now compared to when i first got a decent bicycle light, i can definitely say that niterider (the product as well as the company) is something that can be counted on for the long haul.
if someone is just starting out, it might seem like alot to be spending $170US (including tail light) on a lighting system, but i would say that it's definitely a bargain if you want to ride fast and safe at night.

Favorite Trail:   alleghany state park

Similar Products Used:   2.5 watt vistalight with four AA batteries.

Bike Setup:   several; road (ultegra 9speed), 'cross (ultegra 8speed), mtb (XT 8speed), bmx (ACS 1speed).

Submitted by James a Cross Country Rider from Portland Oregon

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2001

Strengths:    Very bright, easy to use, well made.

Weaknesses:    Pricey and the battery is heavy, but then all batteries are heavy and mountain biking is not a cheap sport...

Bottom Line:
There are a lot of ~$30 lights out there but they are for being seen, not for seeing. This lite allows me to bike at high speed in the middle of the night which puts it in a whole other catergory. However, beware of animals when doing this. I have come damn close to plowing over small to medium sized critters on several occasions.

Purchased At:   Fat Tire Farm

Similar Products Used:   cats eye

Bike Setup:   kona hardtail, bombers, rhyno lites, avid, xt

Submitted by Sky a Cross Country Rider from Seneca Falls NY USA

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2001

Strengths:    Bright, Long run time (2 1/2 hours on 15 watt) useful power management system. Niterider got me a new battery in just over a week when i broke the connector.
plug and forget charger works good on this thing.

Weaknesses:    heavy battery (over a pound, it does make the bike feel different) Weak connector. I broke the damn thing after 3-4 rides.

Bottom Line:
A decent light. that's not cool at all that the connector broke. I was mighty pissed. It'd get a five if that never happened. Light systems should be reliable above all. If the thing broke out in the woods that could be really bad. someone could get hurt or frozen or something.
to niterider's credit they replaced my battery (to which the connector is attached) in just over a week. if you have trouble go to your dealer. I sent my digital headtrip in for a recall and it took them well over a month to repair it.
On the plus side I love the thing when it's working. so buy it at your own risk. and always carry a backup.

Favorite Trail:   Letchworth state park

Purchased At:   Geneva Bike Center

Similar Products Used:   Niterider Digital Headtrip

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher Sugar 3 disc, raceface cranks, mostly stock otherwise.

Submitted by John a Cross Country Rider from Sacramento, CA

Date Reviewed: March 26, 2001

Strengths:    Long battery, has emergency features (SOS), pluyg and forget charger.

Weaknesses:    Not a flood bob, will replace when I burn this one out. A pain and the butt to tun on and off (gotta hold for 3 seconds each) Quick relase is not that secure, if it gets tapped it can fall off.

Bottom Line:
Value: Is better than Classic and Night Owl at same price. But a bit more complicated than the Classic (cause it's digital)

Favorite Trail:   Dark ones (look out for skunks though)

Purchased At:   Christmas present

Similar Products Used:   Nightrider Classic

Bike Setup:   Ventana, XT, Mach 5

Submitted by Eric a Cross Country Rider from Woodinville, WA

Date Reviewed: January 15, 2001

Strengths:    Good clean bright beam. Durable. Waterproof. LED Battery Indicator a nice touch. Quick release handlebar clamp. MicroBrute charger makes getting out onto the trails faster.

Weaknesses:    None so far. Maybe the price but I got a great deal on Ebay.

Bottom Line:
I have always regretted selling my NiteRider Dual Classic. When I saw a new NiteRider Digital Pro 6 Remote up for auction on Ebay I couldn't resist. I almost forgot how great these lights were. Even though I have the single beam model it is still plenty of light for me.

NiteRider did their homework and added some nice touches. The quick-release handlebar clamp was one of them. I hated having to put on the clamp that came with my previous NiteRider. This one goes on and comes off in a breeze but with plenty of adjustable clamping power.

Having the LED battery read-out is a plus. I now can better maintain my battery by actually knowing how much juice remains in my battery. And with the MicroBrute Charger recharging the battery takes half the time of what it used to take for my previous NiteRider Dual Classic.

I only use the 15 watt mode for riding. I haven't used the 10 or 6 watt option but I can see why they it's there. In the case one is running out of juice switching to 6 watts can buy you more light time until you get to your destination.

In conclusion, NiteRider makes the "King of Lights" no other company in my opinion comes close in quality and durability.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   NiteRider Dual Classic

Bike Setup:   Klein Attitude Comp, SID XC fork, XTR drivetrain, Chris King Headset, Syncros seatpost and Selle Italia Flite saddle.

Submitted by Sean 'O' a Weekend Warrior from S.F., CA, U.S.A.

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2001

Strengths:    This light system is great! It takes bumps, dumps, and rain. Very dependable light. It recharges in 3 - 4 hours, I don't know why the manufacturer says it takes 12 + hours?? I highly recommend it, still strong after one year of (ab)use! The light offset system is strong and hasn't come loose, despite alot of reviews I have read stating this was a problem, and I have given it my fair share of pounding.

Weaknesses:    None detected yet in over a year.

Bottom Line:
This is a great, rugged, durable product at a very reasonable price. I bought it through the 'net, and have no regrets. This light works great at all 3 levels, and recharges fully and quickly in about 1/3 the time it is listed at. Take a few minutes to fine tune the mount clamp the first time you install the light set, don't over tighten the silver band, and you should have no problems down the line. If it slips, cut a piece of junk tube for the bar and you'll be fine. Enjoy ! ! !

Purchased At:   bikeworld.com

Similar Products Used:   Battery operated junk.

Bike Setup:   '99 Gary Fisher Big Sur

Submitted by Jonah a Racer from Tucson AZ

Date Reviewed: November 14, 2000

Strengths:    The light is easy to set up with a good remote feature

Weaknesses:    Battery life, customer service, brightness compared to other
quality systems on the market

Bottom Line:
I bought this light hoping to purchase a quality system that was lightweight and bright. The Digital Pro-6 w/remote has a spot beam and really isn't very bright beyond that, even on 15 watt setting. But the biggest disappointment, however, is the burn time. The light claims 2.5 hours of burn on 15 watts, but I get around 1.75 hours. I thought Niterider boasted their great batteries and burn time. I actually sent the battery back to the company in San Diego. After about a week I called them to see if the battery should be repaired or replaced and I was put on hold for 30 minutes. When I finally got through to Warranty, they told me the battery will be looked at tommorow or something. They said they were backed up with repairs (ugh!!) and call them on Monday to hurry them up. Not a good sign. When I called on Monday they put me on hold three times for total of 50 minutes only to tell me that the battery was fine and they where sending it back. When I recieved the battery, I recharged it and clocked it at 1 hour and 48 minutes on High. To say the least, I am NEVER buying a Niterider again. I like my NiteHawk better. It's a tank of a light, but its bright and will burn forever. I recently bought a Light and Motion Dual system that is much more adjustable, waaay brighter, and burns up to their claim (and lighter). I would really recommend these systems. I think Niterider has just overgrown into a big, ugly company and they haven't kept up with the technology of the ever growing competition.

Favorite Trail:   Continental Divide Trail

Purchased At:   Local Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Light and Motion, NiteHawk

Bike Setup:   Trek STP300

Submitted by ToddW a Cross Country Rider from Washington, DC

Date Reviewed: September 20, 2000

Strengths:    Good illumination w/tight beam; multiple settings; nice quick-release handlebar mount; easy to install and use.

Weaknesses:    Bulky battery; no spare bulb included (at least that I could find)

Bottom Line:
All I can give at this point is my initial impression after 1 week of use: good illumination, ease of use and reasonable price make this a solid lighting package. I've used it both on and off-road with good results. One negative so far. On the two lowest settings the light interferes with my cycling computer ('97 Specialized Speedzone wireless) making it useless. I think one of the reviews below made this observation as well! Not too big of a deal since I don't really use my computer a night anyway but I do like to know my total mileage at the end of a ride.

Purchased At:   Bikeworld