NiteRider Digital NiteOwl II Older Lights

2.91/5 (11 Reviews)

NiteRider's top of the line stealth lighting system. The Digital NiteOwl™ II features a low profile handlebar mounted remote switch, multiple lighting levels, 8 bit microprocessor controlled fuel gauge, and 4.5Ah NiMH battery pack. The 13 oz battery pack can be mounted on the seat tube, down tube or top tube, freeing up your water bottle cage.

Submitted by yardsale a Racer from exit 130

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2003

Strengths:    great light!!! i've owned several nitriders, and they all work flawlessly. the fact that its digital makes it even more convenient. i got this light from an internet auction from a kid in MO, we won't mention any names CHRIS. anyway, i paid $90 for thinking the light was in working order. when i got it, it wouldn't hold a charge. i immediately contacted niterider and they suggested that the system be sent back to them for diagnostics. to make a long story short, niterider found that the battery was no good and they replaced it for free, they even threw in a car charger. much praise to niterider, their products, and that very nice lady working for them in customer service. i never did get her name, but if your every in jersey you have my number.

Weaknesses:    none!!

Bottom Line:
can't ask for a better product and service than niterider.

Favorite Trail:   midnite run

Purchased At:   internet auction

Similar Products Used:   digital headtrip

Bike Setup:   santa cruz superlight ready to race

Submitted by Kypq from Vancouver, WA

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2002

Strengths:    This light has performed the best out of my three( the others both being Pro 6's)

Weaknesses:    General Warning: On all three of my lights the rubber seal between the battery pack and the light has ripped partially. So i guess this problem isn't restricted to only the Owl

Bottom Line:
This light has performed flawlessly, I have raced it and my others at the 24 hours of the Gorge and it outperformed the Pro 6 in burn time and the digital function is pricless. Don't pay full pop for any light though, try to find it at this site or at ebay

Purchased At:   MTBR.com

Similar Products Used:   Mag-Lite duct taped to bar, NiteRider Pro 6

Bike Setup:   Costco Special

Submitted by Alfredo a Cross Country Rider from Puerto Rico

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2002

Strengths:    lite and sturdy. seems well made

Weaknesses:    digital charger is one piece andreal charger another. they should make it one unit so there is one less thing to loose or break.

Bottom Line:
So far its been quite good. No charger problems and actually have gotten quite good times out of them. (Bought one for me and one for my GFs bike. this ligh is good enough for most anyone. But if you need stadium lights or are afraid of the dark buy the HID lights. I dint because you cant have the flashing option on that kind of bulb. In the city you actually need a strong flashing more than a light for you to see with.

Favorite Trail:   Cambalache

Purchased At:   Bikeworld

Similar Products Used:   fireflies in plastic bottle

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Raven

Submitted by John a Cross Country Rider from San Diego

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2002

Strengths:    Sturdy housing, but no better than other high-end systems

Weaknesses:    Unreliable, poor clamp design

Bottom Line:
I originally bought the plain NightOwl, but exchanged it for the digital version within a week because I was willing to pay the difference for true "plug and play" capability.

This is a light with replacement electronics I got done right here at NiteRider's factory since they're in my home town. However, I had to get a bike shop owner to call a personal friend at NiteRider and arrange the fix for me because NiteRider absolutely never answered a fax, e-mail or phone call.

The light's original problems have been well described by previous posts. I just want to point out that mine works satisfactorily now, but I'd never trust it off road. I commute daily and it's just good enough for that.
The current problem is the clamp. It is falling apart. The pins work their way out regularly and the light suddenly starts points up or down. I'm commuting on typical paved streets, not technical singletrack! I'm getting a Light & Motion HID. I'm tired of screwing around with inferior products and even worse customer service. It's an insult to trust a company to provide something they claim to make your life easier and have it do just the opposite. For those of you who keep replacing these things and hoping for the best, look up "masochist" in the dictionary.

Purchased At:   LBS (Since out of business)

Similar Products Used:   Original NightOwl

Bike Setup:   Jamis Dakar Team with trick parts from small manufacturets probably you never heard of - virtually no Shimano

Submitted by Todd a Cross Country Rider from Phoenix, AZ, US

Date Reviewed: March 11, 2002

Strengths:    Good Experience. Works consistently. Handle bar mount is good

Weaknesses:    LED's sometimes give funky reading on 1st plugin.

Bottom Line:
Excellent entry level daily user. Light weight.

Favorite Trail:   Pemberton

Purchased At:   Supergo

Bike Setup:   Road and Mountain

Submitted by Laura a Weekend Warrior from San Diego,CA

Date Reviewed: February 12, 2002

Strengths:    ok lighting when it actually works and not in shop being fixed

Weaknesses:    Abysmal quality! Terrible customer service! Unreliable!

Bottom Line:
The first light I got didn't even work...had to return it. Second light the connector for the battery went...in the shop for weeks. Third light the connector went again...back to NightRider for months. Fourth light the whole damn thing went bad.

Favorite Trail:   Daley Ranch

Purchased At:   BikeUSA

Similar Products Used:   None.

Submitted by Skippy Fish from Royal Oak, MI

Date Reviewed: January 27, 2002

Strengths:    Nice light when it works

Weaknesses:    Unreliable

Bottom Line:
Got this light as a replacement for my failed NiteOwl. It works about the same -- very poorly. You cannot count on this light to work, especially in colder temperatures. It likes shifting to reserve mode, especially if you leave it in 15 watt more for 5 seconds or more. Incompetent engineering.

Similar Products Used:   Cyclops, NiteOwl, Headtrip, Pro-6

Submitted by ClydesdaleMTB a Weekend Warrior from NH

Date Reviewed: January 14, 2002

Strengths:    none.

Weaknesses:    everything

Bottom Line:
I'm back again... My opinion of NiteRider Digital NiteOwl-II has completely changed. It SUCKS!!!!!

I have had continual problems with false peaking of the MicroBrute charger.

I now use a MAHA C777 charger (which came with my www.trailheadlights.com light)

Even with fully charged cells the "brain" is brain-dead!

When I plug in a fully charged pack the power on self test indicates the cells are depleted. I can sometimes unplug the pack a few times and it registers properly. Most often though, I get about 45 minutes of high and then 6 hours on "reserve".

The folks at NiteRider have made all sorts of excuses, and keep trying to blow me off on the phoine and via E-mail.

When I told the Manager of the LBS about all the problems, he told me that he has had 6 returns of the NiteOwl-II's for the exact same symptoms. We went out to my bike and he took the NiteRider off of it and gave me a brand new Light & Motion Solo Logic off his shelf to use till he can send them back and they figure out what the hell is wrong with all these lights.

Favorite Trail:   FOMBA

Similar Products Used:   www.trailheadligts.com
www.bikelights.com

Submitted by Marty a Cross Country Rider from Cleveland, OH USA

Date Reviewed: October 12, 2001

Strengths:    Very bright, when working

Weaknesses:    battery fails FAST

Bottom Line:
the light worked great for about a month, then steadily began degrading, I did what the manual said, drained it and recharged, that helped nothing. I called Nite Rider, I wrote them, no response. I don't mind paying top dollar for the best, but it had better be the best, and this light is a big disappointment for me.

Favorite Trail:   who's askin'?

Similar Products Used:   Nite Rider Headtrip (works great)

Bike Setup:   1999 Ibis Alibi, Superfly, Raceface, Maguras, king headset, XTR drivetrain

Submitted by ClydesdaleMTB a Weekend Warrior from NH

Date Reviewed: September 24, 2001

Strengths:    Wow that sucker is BRIGHT...
and a nice white light as well.

Weaknesses:    Cost

Bottom Line:
Purchased at the LBS.. paid about $50 more than if I went mail-order, but I didn't want to wait and I knew they would take care of me after the sale. (Also got a 10% NEMBA Discount ;-)

a really fantastic light.... Seems they worked out all the bugs in the "first generation" Nite-Owl, and finally have a worthy product of the NiteRider name.

Now that it's hunting season again, I can hardly wait till it gets dark, just so I can use it, and not be confused for a deer, by a hunter.

The second best investment I've made on my bike to date, IMO.

Since longevity/durabilty is still unkown, I'm only giving it 4 doobies... we'll see how it holds up to riding through a NH Winter.... I'll come back in thje spring and let you know.

Favorite Trail:   Lost Trail at Bear Brook S.P.

Purchased At:   L.B.S.

Bike Setup:   Custom Ti Hardtail

Submitted by Rob Siller a Weekend Warrior from San Antonio, TX

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2001

Strengths:    Bright light, really bright. Obey the warning, don't stare directly at the lamp. Riding buddy said I looked like a motorcycle. Cool features (battery gauge, variable light levels, "reserve" tank, etc.). Fast set-and-forget charger. Small, light battery that can be fastened in many different positions on bike (got to keep both bottle cages). With optional helmet mount, the battery would comfortably fit in a hydrapak.

Weaknesses:    Product reliability. Battery gauge didn't work out of box. LEDs just danced around regardless of battery freshness. Emailed tech support that night and they got back to me the following morning (was pleased with promptness). I was notified that I needed to send the light back because of a likely defective circuit in the lamp module. I don't consider it acceptable to buy a product, try it once, and then send it for repairs. NiteRider is probably right about the lamp circuit because I noticed that on the second try, after inserting the battery plug, the light didn't work. After pulling it out and re-inserting it, the lamp functioned.

Bottom Line:
Although it seems expensive, for what you get it's a pretty good deal. Price other manufacturers and see how much a variable level light, with a fast charger will set you back. However I am concerned about the product quality/reliability. Had the unit worked properly out of the box, I'd be a happy camper.

Purchased At:   Bikeworld

Similar Products Used:   Old 2.4 watt Cateye halogen (4-AA's). Worked well for occasionally riding at dusk, but with my 6am rides, I went through batteries once a week.

Bike Setup:   Trek 7200fx (hybrid).