NiteRider Classic Plus Older Lights

4.04/5 (25 Reviews)

The NiteRider Classic…the name gives reference to its longevity. Using a dual beam headlamp housed with two insanely bright 12 volt halogen bulbs, this system turns any dark singletrack into daylight. This legendary light system gives the rider the ability to switch between a 12 or 20 watt halogen bulb, when maximum light output is needed use both 12 and 20watt bulbs together turning night into day. The Classic Plus system draws power from a 13.2volt battery constructed with the highest quality and capacity NiMH cells available. All of these features combine to make the Classic an excellent performer.

Submitted by Julius a Cross Country Rider from San Diego, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: October 22, 2007

Strengths:    Extremely bright, easy setup, pretty cheap for the quality, functionality, charge time, and solid burn time.

Weaknesses:    Weight, velco strap for battery awkward.

Bottom Line:
This light system is awesome. No doubt the next best thing below HID systems. Even at the 12W setting it brightens up the trail very nicely. I've used this on a 24 hour race and hasn't failed me. My only gripe is the velco strap to secure the battery. I just wish there is some custom cage that can secure it better. The amazing thing about the system was how fast the battery charge goes full. Only 2.5 hours!

Purchased At:   Performance Bicycle

Bike Setup:   BMC Fourstroke 03

Submitted by Psychodad a Weekend Warrior from Mission, TX

Date Reviewed: November 10, 2006

Strengths:    Lots of light. Strong, high quality design. Handlebar light switch. Adjustable. Proven and reliable product.

Weaknesses:    Frame mount of the battery could be designed to be more secure. Battery attaches to frame with velco strap.

Bottom Line:
This little puppy can light up the trail. I use the 20 watt flood most of the time and hit the 32 watts when it gets technical. I can ride about as fast as I do in the day with this light. Quick 2.5 hour charge time. Strong, high quality, design. It looks and feels like it can take a beating. Handlebar mounted thumb switch is great. Good run times on battery.

Purchased At:   Bicycle Sport, Austin, TX

Similar Products Used:   Sigma Evo and Evo X.

Bike Setup:   Trek Fuel 70 stock.

Submitted by Ryan a Cross Country Rider from Austin

Date Reviewed: October 27, 2006

Strengths:    reliable, sturdy, brightness, runtime

Weaknesses:    nill

Bottom Line:
I have had this system for 5 years now. I had to replace the 20 watt bulb last year, and had the battery rebuilt this year. Battery died due to my own gross negligence.. i.e. my poor charging/discharging habits.

Favorite Trail:   the "nut"

Similar Products Used:   lots of cheap stuff

Bike Setup:   '02 Sugar

Submitted by George Smith a Weekend Warrior from Columbus,Ga

Date Reviewed: October 27, 2006

Strengths:    25w, dual light setup, lightweight, frame mounted battery,

Weaknesses:    haven't found any yet

Bottom Line:
This light system is a Classic Select only available at Performance Bike. This is the only 25w dual system(1-10w flood and 1-15w spot) that I have found anywhere for this price. Cygo lite had one called explorer but they use the water bottle style NiCad battery. The Nightrider uses a small frame-mount battery. I use my bike with a Golden Eagle RedMax 25cc engine for commuting to work. This light is my first system and it has met and exceeded my expectations. Most of the time, I only have to use the 10w flood. Plenty of light for my needs. If you are looking for a great light system for the price , this is it.

Purchased At:   Performance bike

Bike Setup:   Giant Boulder with Golden Eagle bike engine

Submitted by Tony from St. Louis, MO, USA

Date Reviewed: September 28, 2006

Strengths:    Fast charge, reliable, and rugged with a good amount of light. Price when compared to HID.

Weaknesses:    Handlebar mount can't get real tight on oversized bars when you remove the rubber piece and it keeps sliding down on fast or bumpy downhills. 2 beams don't do a lot more than one. The flood lite setting is the best, so it seems like the rest of it is pointless. Handlebar mount only. It is not a HID.

Bottom Line:
Great light for the money. It puts out a lot of light, has some flexibility with different settings, great run time. Has never failed me. I gave it highest ratings, becuase it is very good for what it is.

I have HID envy!

Similar Products Used:   Rode with guys with everything from $10 lite to $$$ HID's.

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Prophet, XT, Crossmax, lots of goodies.

Submitted by George Hernandez a Cross Country Rider from Woodacre, CA USA

Date Reviewed: September 19, 2006

Strengths:    Very bright, lights up whole trail or road at 32w. Nifty, velcro on switch. Bottle cage battery is easy to use. Connectors are very secure.

Weaknesses:    More light = less run time. Heavy. You have to time your charges, but at least you don't trash the battery if you guess wrong.

Bottom Line:
My commute takes me down a long, steep, unlit hill where I'm pushing 50mph. With both bulbs going, I'm not even close to outrunning my light. On trails, I can go as fast at night as during the day (OK, that's not saying much).

I get less than an hour at full blast, but that was a test; I only fire up both bulbs for brief stints. The 12w is my standard light and then I go from there as conditions dictate. With a full charge, I get around 1.5 hours with varied usage. If you need lots of light, don't want to spring for HID, and aren't too worried about weight, this is a fine light.

Favorite Trail:   t

Purchased At:   EBay

Similar Products Used:   Niterider trail rat.

Bike Setup:   Raliegh hardtail.

Submitted by Brian Shaw a Cross Country Rider from utah

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2006

Strengths:    None yet. The light provides plenty of light for rocky single track.

Weaknesses:    Bulb burned out after first use. Switch malfunctioned after first use. Had to send back to nr to try and speed up the repair.

Bottom Line:
After much research I choose this light for price versus performance. The few hours that the light did work, it worked really well. I have severe doubts about the reliablity of this product. We'll see what nr does to resolve this issue. I am less than pleased that when I talked to nr and sent the product in they said they would repair and send back soon, I've been waiting two + weeks and nothing. They said if I wanted the product back faster i would have to cover shipping. It's all about the customer service. If the problem is fixed and the light works as it did for the two hours I got two use it I would rate this a really good product.

Favorite Trail:   utah

Purchased At:   Beyondbikes

Bike Setup:   Santa cruz Blur xc

Submitted by greg guillory from houston

Date Reviewed: February 11, 2006

Strengths:    Built tough, bright well focused beams

Weaknesses:    No

Bottom Line:
The Classic Plus is a great light for the bars without the added venerability of digital controls. Each side can be used individually or both at the same. This thing blows away the Nightsun because the light is focued in a way that uses all the light produced and none is shining off into space. The battery is smaller and dosen't take a bottle cage. This light used with an Evolution or Digital Evolution on the helmet is a great setup for racing or just farting around and being able to see REALLY well. If you've never ridden offroad at night, you are really missing out. With good lights, you can see well enough to go just as fast as in daylight. Try it!!!

Favorite Trail:   Smithville

Purchased At:   West End Bikes 713.861.2271

Similar Products Used:   NR Evos, Digital Evos, Pro 6, Head trip, Nightsun XC, Vistalites, Cygotites

Bike Setup:   '06 Stumpjumper, XT, King wheels&headset,Avid ULT

Submitted by Ted a Cross Country Rider from Westland, MI

Date Reviewed: October 16, 2005

Strengths:    Reliable

Weaknesses:    The two lights on together doesn't really improve the field of light. They need to offset them so that the narrow beam points down the trail while the wide beam hits closer to the ground. SureLock connectors some apart surprisingly easy.

Bottom Line:
I bought this from NR at cost when I sent in my headtrip for warranty work. I also bought a Digital Evolution. The DE sucks. However, this one has save my bacon countless times and has yet to fail me.

I'm still giving up on NR as I 2 of the 3 lights I've owned have failed me. However, I think you can count on the Classic Plus.

Purchased At:   NiteRider

Bike Setup:   Cross Country

Submitted by Alexander Luscher a Cross Country Rider from Niagara Falls NY USA

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2005

Strengths:    12, 20, or 32 watts but even the 12 watter spreads the light
out ahead of you enough for huge confidence in fast technical sections. Also I've gotten OVER 4 hours with the 12 watt setting and it showed no signs of dimming. If you route the wires sensibly they never get crushed even on a rack. I've never had bulbs fail in two years either. Switch works excellent and every other ride the whole bike crashes in a creek and gets soaked :-)...still no failures. This thing has saved me from plenty of broken bones. Also you can ride behind a group of bikes and even the 20 watter will light the way for all in an emergency ! Can't praise the engineers enough for the fantastic projection and beam pattern in all settings !! Suddenly you can ride as quickly as you dare at night- all the Border Patrol and city bike cops use these around here...there's a reason ! Quite literally a 'mil-spec' system. Fairly low-profile mount too in case you need to put the bike on it's back you won't destroy the housing. Built like the proverbial plastic tank !

Weaknesses:    The battery is a little on the heavy side but hey this is Mountain-biking ! it's supposed to be a workout ! Once you have your dumb butt saved at night by this thing you won't care if it weighs FIVE pounds !

Bottom Line:
After your first ride at night with this setup -in any weather- you will utterly forget the price and be grinning ear to ear. You will also feel sorry for the poor slobs who picked a little lighter system with the pencil laser-beam and one power level. There's more to lighting than just watts !! these guys GET IT !! Thanks for a great product.

Favorite Trail:   Ellicottville

Purchased At:   Precision Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   none compare !

Bike Setup:   Specialized FSR, Marzocchi Marathon S, XT upgrades,Hayes discs

Submitted by Anthony English a Cross Country Rider from Penrith, UK

Date Reviewed: January 29, 2005

Strengths:    Power, light weight, bomb proof, reliable.

Weaknesses:    The switch.

Bottom Line:
Have been using this light now for two years and it's never let me down once. Tough enough to withstand the rigours of a UK winter and enough performance to keep up with the competition. I commute to work via a 32 mile circuit, during the harsh British winter, in all weathers and this light has been my guardian angel - it's FANTASTIC!! The only problem I have encountered in two years has been an occasional glitch with the switch, although this has not affected my normal day-to-day commute in any way. It's simple to operate too, and a doddle to charge. Well done Nite-Rider, this lamp is the best I have ever used!!

Favorite Trail:   Kentmere

Purchased At:   Wheelbase, UK

Similar Products Used:   BLTs old and new.

Bike Setup:   Kona Explosive.

Submitted by Manuel from Washington, DC, USA

Date Reviewed: December 27, 2004

Strengths:    Long burn time at 12W. Nice adjustableness in mount.

Weaknesses:    Price?

Bottom Line:
The system works great. It has operated reliably during my use for an average of four days a week for the past year.

I already owned the Niterider Digital Evolution, and I bought this one because I wanted a light with a longer burn time to cover a commute that became longer and because I wanted a backup light since I was having a few cable problems, which I should point out were repaired by Niterider, with the Digital Evolution at the time.

I love the burn time on this light. With my previous light, I felt that my longer commute would have required charging everyday if I used it in the morning and the evening in order not to cut the 10W burn time too short. The burn time on this light at 12W gave me plenty of time cushion. In fact, I feel comfortable using it for three days of 45 minute commutes without charging.

The only thing I can complain about is the screw that tightens to hold the horizontal alignment on the CamLock QR Handlebar Mount. It loosens a bit over time and then a little bump will knock out the alignment I have set. Of course, then it is also easy for me adjust alignment on the fly as well. But this is not really a big problem. One should periodically check the tightness of all the screws and fasteners on a bicycle anyway, so I just add this to the check. Otherwise the mount is great. It can easily be switched to either side of the handlebars and easily aligned vertically and horizontally.

I've had to replace the 12W bulb twice in the past year. The first time was a few months ago. That was not surprising. I usually run in the 12W bulb so the 20W bulb rarely gets used. I was surprised to have to replace it again about a month later. However, this did follow riding in a heavy rain. The bike set wet for several hours after that ride and water may have seeped into some connections and my have shorted something. I replaced the bulb again and have had no problems since then.

It might not have the fancy fuel gauge that is on the evolution, but perhaps the simplicity is better for robust operation. Burn time has been reliable. And I like the water bottle shaped battery. When I purchased the Evolution, I had a bike that ran the rear brake cable above the top-tube. All three of the bikes I have now, run the rear brake cable below the top tube. Though the Evolution battery is designed to mount under the top tube, I can mount it under part of the handlebars, but that is a little awkward. So the water bottle battery type works better for me than the top tube mounted battery.

You probably can't beat the price for the brightness and burn time of these lights, but it was still a bit of money for me, so I'll give it four chilis for value. :) Because it has performed reliably for a year, I'll give it an overall rating of 5.

Purchased At:   Revolution Cycles, Washington, DC