Nightsun Team Issue Dual Beam Older Lights

3.56/5 (73 Reviews)

The Nightsun Team Issue offers all the power and reliability you've come to expect from Nightsun, Proven over the past 10 years to be the most reliable and popular on-road and off-road bike light

Submitted by Khal a Racer

Date Reviewed: October 15, 2012

Strengths:    Robust, nice machining, long light duration, good illumination for its time.

Weaknesses:    Not anywhere as good as modern LED units.

Bottom Line:
I bought a Team Issue or something similar in the 1990's when my commute home was 11 miles along a major highway on Oahu and was often ridden in the dark and/or rain. The Nightsun put out a lot of light for its time on hi beam and when going slowly, the low beam was adequate. One night while riding all out into a trade wind, I had the Nightsun on hi beam and saw a shadow appear in the distance. I had time to recognize the shadow as the dark shape of a wrong-way bicyclist without lights and barely was able to avoid a head on crash. That Nightsun more than paid for itself on one commute home.

Similar Products Used:   HID and LED lights by Light and Motion and NiteRider.

Bike Setup:   Fast commuter

Submitted by mlawson66 a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: August 5, 2010

Strengths:    Bright lights, when working.

Weaknesses:    Shoddy gear. Had mysterious shorts. Had to send the whole thing in for *troubleshooting*. Took more than a month to get back. Blew the HID bulb.

Bottom Line:
Shoddy workmanship. Exorbitant prices. I'm embarrassed that I paid so much for this junk.

I bought a pair of these systems, for myself, and my wife. After less than a month, the system on my bike started shorting out. There was no visible damage to the wiring harness. It blew the HID bulb. I sent the whole system in for repair, and it took a month to get it back. We switched to Night Rider systems, and put the Nightsun stuff back on the shelf. Recently, I was planning on putting Nightsun on our commuter bikes, thinking that they might perform better in an environment less prone to shock and vibration. In dealing with their customer service, I got some real attitude, and even had some pejoratives thrown at me. I was trying to support an American company, but enough is enough. For the mountain bikes, we are going with Ay Up. For the commuter bikes, we are going with Trail Tech MR11 HID lamps, and sealed lead acid batteries. Both systems are in the $200 range.

Favorite Trail:   Lewis River & Tiger Mountain

Purchased At:   Night Sun

Similar Products Used:   Night Rider, Trail Tech HID MR11

Bike Setup:   Specialized Epic

Submitted by Mike a Weekend Warrior from USA

Date Reviewed: December 5, 2001

Strengths:    Good light and burn time

Weaknesses:    Customer support is primarily designed to sell more product.

Bottom Line:
I've used night-sun products for about 10 years but I will never buy another product from them again. To make a long story short - my battery charger went out and they refuse to sell me a new one!!!!!! The battery is almost new because when this happened before they talked me into buying a new battery with the charger. Said the old battery was the problem. Of course, with the new battery charger I got 3 more years out of the old battery. Now I have an almost brand new battery and no way to charge it. I'm going with Light & Motion and guess I will try to sell my night sun stuff (to someone with a charger!). Buyer beware!

Bike Setup:   Ibis Bow Ti

Submitted by Clifford Nilsen a Cross Country Rider from Auburn, Ca USA

Date Reviewed: November 1, 2001

Strengths:    Nightsun Team Max, I have had the NightSun dual beam lights for at least 5 years. I am still on the same battery and the same bulbs. They give me triffic visibility at night. I have not have any trouble mounting them or marring the finish on my handle bars because I was smart enough to put electrical tape where band go.

Bottom Line:
The NightSun is a good product and if you lose any of the parts the company sends you them free of charge.

Purchased At:   California Bike and Snow

Similar Products Used:   cateye's

Submitted by Dave from Los Angeles CA USA

Date Reviewed: August 30, 2001

Strengths:    (This review is for the Team Issue) The light is plenty bright on low beam, and super-bright when the high beam is used; easy to adjust the position once on the bike. NiCad battery gives a long run time compared to NiMH batteries that seem to be proliferating in other lighting systems - 3 to 4 hours depending on battery used.

Weaknesses:    It's a pain, compared to more modern designs, to mount the lights to the bike, and I'm always worried about maring' up the nice finish on my handlebars. Perhaps Nightsun has an easier method now (I've had these lights for a good half dozen years). I can live with it. NiCad batteries seem a bit pricey. NiCad battery is heavy compared to NiMH batteries.

Bottom Line:
This review is for the Team Issue lights, which use a NiCad battery designed to fit in a water bottle cage.

Wow - I'd forgotten these lights were rated, with the orginal 40w battery, for up to four hours on low beam, which looks to use a 10w bulb.

I've been happy with the lights. True, run time for the low watt light is now down to about 2 bright hours - the fact that I deep discharged the light a few times (why didn't I read those directions!) probably didn't help. Still, two hours for a six year old+ battery is just 25 minutes or so under under the run time of the Niterider Headtrip II I've used. And the Team Issue runs several minutes longer than a new Digital Night Owl with the light set at 15w.

The trade-off: the Nightsun NiCad battery is a lot heavier than the NiMH batteries that power the Niterider lights, but when they are new, you benefit from a lot more run time with the 'Cads.

So, if you like long run times and lots of light, and you don't mind the extra weight, these are fine lights, IF you can put up with the awkward system to attach them to your handlebars. Also, the super-bright setting of the high beam should only be used sparingly. Too bad you can choose to use one bulb or the other, but that's getting a bit picky.

Also, I know many other people have expressed more than a little annoyance with customer service - I've had no problems, with prompt answers to my e-mail and reasonably friendly phone support. In fact, I just purchased a new 30w battery and I hope to get close to three hours of ride time...

Favorite Trail:   Montana de Oro St Park (CA) singletrack

Purchased At:   Supergo

Similar Products Used:   Niterider Digital Night Owl II, Headtrip II, Cateye halogen something or other...

Bike Setup:   Specialized 2001 Stumpjumer hardtail

Submitted by Reno a Cross Country Rider from somewhere in oregon

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2001

Strengths:    realy bright durrable

Weaknesses:    battery

Bottom Line:
The XC is a very nice light.

I can make replacement nightsun batteries. They would cost about 80.00 bucks. They would be 4.5 AH nicad. Wich is more powerfull than nightsuns stock batteries. I can make them into a a pack that will fit in a water bottle cage. You would be able to charge the pack with your standard nightsun charger. However you would halft to attach your connetor form your dead water bottle battery. I'm thinking of putting them on ebay. I can also make 4 AH nimh batteries that fit in your pocket.

Anyone intresed?? Email me.

Purchased At:   eaby

Submitted by Bob a Cross Country Rider from Branford, CT, USA

Date Reviewed: September 13, 2000

Strengths:    Durable and reliable

Bottom Line:
I would buy this light again. I bought this one in 1997 and haven't had any problems with it. Unfortunately, I did lose a few small parts recently, so I emailed the the guys at Night Sun and within an hour or two they got back to me to make sure that I got the parts I needed.

Favorite Trail:   Trumbull

Purchased At:   North Haven Bike

Similar Products Used:   Nite Rider-Nice but the beam was too narrow.

Bike Setup:   Voodoo Bizango XT w/Judy XC

Submitted by John mcchesney a Cross Country Rider from Steilacoom, Wa, USA

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2000

Strengths:    brightness, lack of "spottiness" in beam

Weaknesses:    lack of seperate adjustablity in location of hi/low (this may have been solved)

Bottom Line:
I used this light for 4+ years of commuting/fun night rides. I did have one experience with a premature bulb burnout, but the is easily overshadowed by the many times I drained the battery(I'm not the most maintainance-driven guy) and asked it to do its job. Many, many, crashes--the system took it like a champ. Anyone who wants a excellcent light set needs to look into Nightsun. I never had any problems with customer service, and would much rather talk to folks who know their equipment than a receptionist--even if they don't kiss my butt.

Similar Products Used:   Union something--now that was a piece if c---!

Bike Setup:   Kona Kiluha w/AMP fork

Submitted by Paul a Cross-Country Rider from Plainfield, IL

Date Reviewed: October 12, 1999

Strengths:
Very bright on high

appearance

Bottom Line:
I just bought the team max used & when I first got it I thought about selling it, because its rather large & heavy (the battery bottle is filled with wax?) Although not the prettiest or most sophisticated light on the market, this has got to be one of the brightest. on low the 10w bulb puts out about as much light as my vista light 12w & on high it will freeze a deer from 100 yards. It's the brightest I've seen (although I have'nt seen the cateye stadium or nightsun tri-beam & I hear they're VERY bright) I came across a shifty looking character on the trail tonight, I came around the corner & there he was just hanging out smoking. He startled me but, I blinded him. His hands went up to protect his eyes & I could hear him cursing as I rode away. The mount holds the light securely & in a good position on the bars so you'll have room for your computer, mine even has a fiber optic cable to light up the computer screen. It'd get 5 stars if it used the smaller type bulbs & if the battery didnt weigh so damn much. As it is I cant give it less than 4

less than 1 month

vista light

Submitted by Rob Info a Cross-Country Rider from Downingtown, Pa

Date Reviewed: August 20, 1999

Strengths:
Bright, good light pattern

Weaknesses:
Not a spiffy as some other units. Mounting system is a bit of a hassle.

Bottom Line:
A very good product. Although maybe not look as slick looking as a nightrider, it provides everything you need in a light, excellent light pattern, long burn time, and tremendous high-beam output. I haven't had any bad experiences with their customer service, I called up about a piece I had broke, and they sent me out a new one, and they were courteous with questions I had about an older Team XC I had bought used. While the mounting system is a bit inconvenient, it is simple and sturdy, and the light base extends in front of the handlebar, around all your cabbles, which works better than above or below the bar.

French Creek

1 Year

Vistalight, Nightsun Team Issue.

Submitted by dave a Cross-Country Rider from missouri

Date Reviewed: August 17, 1999

Strengths:
When it worked it was better than a flashlight.

Weaknesses:
*Staff at Night Sun
*Not a well sealed system
*Poor wiring
*Cheap construction/materials
*Mount system

Bottom Line:
Like a lot of reviewers, I find it necessary to ride at night due to a busy schedule. I've owned and currently own several lighting systems. I purchased the Night Sun Max several years ago due to its high light output. After using it for an entire season, I finally made the decision to throw it out in the trash....it was finally at home. The lack of thought and the quality of the wiring is apparent to anyone examining it. I learned the valuable lesson not to make purchases without actually seeing the product in person. The bulb is protected behind a plastic lens which readily scratches with normal use, and allows the elements to easily penetrate the system. It is difficult and expensive to replace the bulbs, which often fail due to the excessive rattling that takes place inside this shop class quality housing. The handlebar mount is too silly to discuss. I purchased a nightrider system at the end of the season,and have been using it for three years without the need to replace even a single bulb. Much better construction. I also currently own a Cateye Stadium light which has massive power output, but has similar quality control and design issues as the Nightsun. The worst part of Night Sun is the people you are forced to deal with. Other reviewers have expressed how poorly they were treated by the owner of Nightsun and his staff. How true! They believe themselves to be exceptionally gifted. Any problems you experience with their product must be your fault. My brother who also purchased a light was instructed that a problem with the wiring must have been his fault because he changed the bulb himself. He's a design electrical engineer...don't think so. I could go on but you get the point. I really have good feelings about the Nightrider product and their support of cycling.

1 Year

Nightrider-Own
Cateye Stadium- Own

Submitted by Sam Lowe a Cross-Country Rider from Scottsdale, AZ

Date Reviewed: April 6, 1999

Strengths:
1. Reliablity and simplicity.2. Ni-Cad battery and charger system allow human error mistakes - like time I left it charging for two weeks!3. Bright as nuclear fireball.

Weaknesses:
1. Ugly, Ugly, Ugly!2. Mounting straps will break at some point.3. Connector is cheesy, but no problems yet.4. Too much high end power - can't use the high beam very long. Needs to be 10 / 15 / 20 maybe?5. Did I mention it was ugly?

Bottom Line:
I have had the NiteSun Team for about 4 years. It has been very reliable and very bright when I needed it. I have used it a lot and it has held up well. However, from other reviews I am glad I have not needed NiteSun customer service (knock on wood).Favorite story - came in late from road ride in total darkness. A pickup truck started to turn left across in front of me. I flashed the high beam at him and he locked up the brakes. Feel the Power! I prefer to use it on the trails at night, but every bit of respect that you can get on the road is so sweet!

more than 3 years

Only one I have tried. I am going to buy a NiteRider Head Trip. I think there products are more advanced with the nmh battery and digital control. Also seem to have the edge on customer service.

Used on MTB's and road bikes in all kinds of weather and conditions.

Submitted by Pat LaRoue a Cross-Country Rider from Richmond, CANADA

Date Reviewed: April 4, 1999

Strengths:
Brightness that lights up the trail. Durability. Looks. Ease of installation.

Weaknesses:
Toggle power switch could use some type of quick release mechanism that would attach it to my handle bars without the use of zap straps or velcro.

Bottom Line:
I am very happy with the purchase of my Nightsun XC's. Performance wise, for over two years, they have always done the job. Pure power, battery life and ease of installation.
On the single track at night, the low beam does the a great job. Get into a tight spot, thumb switch to the high beam and bam... 45 watts of pure sun! Hey, the guys I ride with love the fact that I light-up the trail for them.
In a recent mishap, I needed a replacement part. Contacted the Nightsun tech rep by e-mail on Saturday of the Easter long weekend. To my surprise, he got back to me within the hour letting me know that the part was on its way, free of charge. Once again I was reassured that I made the right call going with Nightsun.
I'm the Director of Service & Support for a large personal computer manufacturer. And hey, I've delt with customer 'issues' before. Nightsun customer service did as much as possible to see that I was back out on trails asap. There's nothing more I could of asked for. That's why I went with the best!

Chickamus Challenge

2 Years

BLT's;

Rocky Mountain Blizzard limited edition;
Rock Shok XC's

Submitted by Andrew Were a Cross-Country Rider from Christchurch

Date Reviewed: March 17, 1999

Bottom Line:
I've had my team issue for just on 4 years now and one of the mounting straps broke recently. I emails NightSun about purchasing a replacement. a prompt reply indicated that they would send me not one but 2 straps for no charge. Show me a cycle accessory company that will stand behind there product for that lenght of time. Most offroad products you'd be lucky with 6-12months warranty period. These lights are a rarity here in New Zealand but they work, and replacement parts are easily obtained via the internet. Incidentally in 4 years I've replaced each bulb once and my battery has just died -it got a lot of use! Thanks NightSun!

more than 3 years

Submitted by kevin peters a cross-country rider from pa

Date Reviewed: February 21, 1999

Bottom Line:

I spent a long time looking at all the current light systems on the market (thanks to the internet). The jist of it all was the NightSun XC is the best bang for the buck when you consider the wattage, run time, and price. 10 Watts, 4 hours run time, for less than $200. It can't be beat. I read some crappy reviews on their customer service - and my experience has been just the opposite. I broke the plastic mount body, and they sent me another FREE within 5 days. I also sent several e-mails with technical questions, and each time it was answered the same day. Sundays included !!! The NightSun XC simply rules.