Jonco Lite Light Older Lights

4.93/5 (15 Reviews)

Jonco Lite Light

Submitted by Tony Maag a Cross Country Rider from Houston, TX

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2008

Strengths:    I've had this light set for about 13 years. They sat for about 5 while I was wakeboarding and another 4 until recently. I built my own powerpack, there's not a power pack in the world that'll last 10+ years, and everything still works!

Weaknesses:    This product doesn't have any weaknesses.

Bottom Line:
Jon is the coolest guy when it comes to his lights. The best investment I ever made!!!

Purchased At:   Direct from Jon

Similar Products Used:   Haven't needed to use other products. These are top of the line in my opinion.

Bike Setup:   MTB

Submitted by Paul Sibek a Cross Country Rider from Santa Clarita, CA

Date Reviewed: October 13, 2002

Strengths:    Simple, easy to use, bright on trails which are totally dark. Excellent battery life, hours and hours.

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
I got to know John Patterson (JONCO) and he is cool. About 60 and rocks. I took my first night ride with his lites, with him and had to crank to keep up.

If you care about a small businessman who makes GREAT lights, buy a JONCO.

Favorite Trail:   Towsley or 5 Deer

Purchased At:   Jonco

Bike Setup:   Cannondale HT with Thudbuster, Pauls Brakes, Chris King Wheels, DD60, Terry seat

Submitted by Rottenron a Cross Country Rider from The Southeast

Date Reviewed: October 4, 2002

Strengths:    Works as advertised

Weaknesses:    NiCad battery is heavier than some others.

Bottom Line:
This light is just plain good old fashion, durable craftsmanship. No circuit boards, timers, plastic or illuminated diode indicators. Its two metal cased lights, a metal mount, a 3-position toggle switch, a NiCad battery in the shape of a water bottle, and wiring. If you want something simple that works as good or better than other commuter or halogen lights.
To buy this light I called Jonco, asked what options they offer. The owner explained all my choices: single or dual beam, low and high beam wattages, battery life to expect from each wattage and how to properly charge the battery. He said if I should have any problem with it, just call him up and he’ll have me send it for a repair.
I’ve used this light on my road bike for two winters (evening rides) without the first hint of a problem.
In my case the low beam is nearly as bright as an older motorcycle sealed beam headlight, the high beam causes cars to flash their brights at me. You can clearly see in front of you! The ideal user is a roadie or commuter who wants what they pay for; something simple that stands the test of time.

The contact info is a little hard to find. I don’t know why this guy doesn’t advertise more:
Jonco Lite-Light
26778 Oak Avenue
Santa Clarita, CA 91351
Tel: 661-251-5300

Purchased At:   Jonco direct

Similar Products Used:   Niterider. yuk!

Bike Setup:   I'm a mountain bike trail rider, but ride a road bike in the evenings so I can enjoy my weekend mountain biking that much more.

Submitted by Joey a Racer from Half Moon Bay

Date Reviewed: January 9, 2002

Strengths:    Quality machined aluminum bracket with button head screws. Hinged cam lock mounts. -No plastic. Very white bright light. Simple toggle swith.

Bottom Line:
NO corners cut here. My family has 4 of these lights and all of them work equally great and we are happy with them.

Similar Products Used:   Night Sun, Night rider

Submitted by Jerry a Cross Country Rider from Oakland, CA

Date Reviewed: October 9, 2001

Strengths:    -Extremely bright white light
-Very stable mounting hardware with quick mounting
-Durable construction

Weaknesses:    -No battery life indicator
-Charger could have a drain option

Bottom Line:
This is a smaller production light than the Cateye, Night Rider or Nightsun lights, made here in California. The whole package has a less polished feel than the mass-produced lights, but this is still a very sturdy unit. I received this light as a gift 3 years ago and have used it for night rides, both road and off road.

The light is extremely bright, bright enough that you'll be liable to get bright lights flashed at you if you have both beams going and you see an oncoming car. I agree with another reviewer's comment that the light is much more white than other competitor's products (for example, NightRider).

Battery life is certainly comparable with other lights on the market. Durability of the light unit (which is all aluminum and looks a bit like a Mag Light) is second to none.

The high beam is really all you need as far as light on the bike for trail riding at night. You might want to pick up a headlamp if riding is reasonably technical to look ahead around tight turns.

Similar Products Used:   NightRider

Bike Setup:   Bianchi Singlespeed

Submitted by Joe a Cross Country Rider from Pueblo, CO

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2000

Strengths:    Brilliant white light with excellent lighting pattern, solid clamp system, long-lasting battery, simply the best!

Bottom Line:
I use this light on my daily commute to work and occasional trail riding. The only way I was able to harm this light was through my own stupidity. The customer service from Jonco was beyond all expectations and I heartily recommend one to anyone who is an avid night rider.

Similar Products Used:   Vista Light, NightSun

Bike Setup:   Rocky Mtn Element Race, Hammer Race

Submitted by Tim W. a Cross Country Rider from Vancouver,WA

Date Reviewed: February 2, 2000

Strengths:    Awesome light quality, very bright white light. Extremely durable system. I have used this in the foulest pacific northwestern weather for about two years and have never had a problem. Switch is by far the easiest to use in the dark, even with bulky winter gloves and cold fingers.

Weaknesses:    Rubber bushings for clamp don't always stick.

Bottom Line:
This light rocks! The only trouble that I have had with my light was from my own mistakes and the people at Jonco were most gracious to help me out with no hassle at all.
I only wish more people could use the hard to find system.

Favorite Trail:   McKenzie River, Siouxon River

Similar Products Used:   Nightsun, Niterider, Cygolite, Vistalite

Bike Setup:   Ti hardtail, Z2 BAM, XTR, Easton Monkeylite Riser, Handbuilt Mavic 517, Favorite of several

Submitted by louie figone a Cross Country Rider from half moon bay, ca

Date Reviewed: January 29, 2000

Strengths:    product support, quality, light beam, light color (bright)ease of attachment, size

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
tried other lights, this one was sent by jonco to try out, liked it so much I bought two and have just ordered one more for friends, recommend this light to anyone. great service, nice people at jonco (they are night riders also), great workmanship on the product. The light beam is superior to any other light we have seen on the trail. The camlock clamps are the easiest I have used, fast and reliable.

Favorite Trail:   all

Similar Products Used:   nightsun, nightrider

Bike Setup:   moots ybb/ superlight/xtr/white ind./ mavic

Submitted by BF a Cross-Country Rider from Wash,DC

Date Reviewed: January 9, 2000

Strengths:
Excellent beam pattern. Product is a work of (machine) art. Nice to look at in daytime. Excellent brightness. Good switch -- easy to use with winter gloves. Excellent in rain. Strong service from Jonco.

Weaknesses:
Rubber pads on mounts came unglued. Minor incovenience to re-glue.

Bottom Line:
Excellent product, excellent service from Jonco. Beautiful to look at in daytime. Very reliable

2 Years

Nightrider cyclops
Turbocat

Schwinn/Paramout RS90 hardtail/Noleen

Submitted by Joey a Racer from Half Moon Bay

Date Reviewed: December 4, 1999

Strengths:
Fast mounting. bright white light. easy toggle switcth. compact.pro machining

Weaknesses:
none compared to what I've used

Bottom Line:
It has a great beam of light and it is real white which is key..Other systems might have more watts but it is real yellow light.

more than 3 years

same catergory of Night sun, night rider systems

Moots ybb-marzucchi sfly/giant xtc-marzucchi sfly/KHS cruiser-rockshox judy

Submitted by John a Cross-Country Rider from Camarillo

Date Reviewed: November 23, 1999

Strengths:
Very light and easy to use. I don't know what
all the fuss is from other riders is in reference to the mounting system. Nite Rider hascopied
Jonco's design...thats saying something? There service is exceptional.

Weaknesses:
Jonco's marketing budget must be close to nothing. Nobody seems to know about them.

Bottom Line:
With there performance and personalized service , you can't beat it!

sycamore,moorpark rd switchbacks

more than 3 years

Other friends have Nite Rider,Nite Sun and
Cateye stadium's. The only one that beats it
would be the stadium

Submitted by Matt a Weekend Warrior from San Jose, CA

Date Reviewed: November 22, 1999

Strengths:
Excellent beams - both are plenty strong for my needs.

Weaknesses:
I found the quick release-style mounting to be pretty weak. I was unable to get one side to lock in and after 15 minutes of fiddling with it, I just duct taped the mounting to the bars.Now THAT was a solid mounting.

Bottom Line:
These are excellent lights. In terms of overall quality of the light - I think they rank right up with all the rest in the same price range.I was really frustrated with the mounting, however. If you are going to get these, test out mounting them and make sure you are able to attach them solidly to your bar (without the use of duct tape).

St. Joseph's

tested or demo'ed only

Performance

Submitted by JR a weekend warrior from L.A.

Date Reviewed: June 8, 1998

Bottom Line:

Jonco's lights are the greatest!!! He also sells a trick little single bulb helmet light that mounts on top of your brain bucket. Choose either 12 or 20 watts. (12w seems to be adequate). Battery fits into little fanny pack (supplied). Comes complete with with mount, battery, fanny pack, and charger. Great back-up light.. (805) 251-5300.

Submitted by JR a weekend warrior from So Cal.

Date Reviewed: June 3, 1998

Bottom Line:

These lights are the best I have seen. They are much lighter than Niterider or Nightsun. Pisk your wattage; no problem getting what you want. Relatively trouble free; good warranty; so small you hardly notice them. Quick releases are trick(on and off in seconds). Hard to believe so much light from small bulbs. Mix and match colors; red, black, clear, blue, or violet. In light shootouts in mags this usually blows the others away in every catagory..
For the ultimate light call Jonco at (805)251-5300

Submitted by TC a weekend warrior from SoCal

Date Reviewed: January 14, 1998

Bottom Line:

I recently purchased my first set of lights. After reading many reviews and talking to the
locals I went with Jonco's Lite light. It comes standard with a 12 watt flood and a 20 watt
spot that can be upgraded to any combination of 12, 20, or 35 watts. I've been riding with
friends who have the Night Sun lights with a total of 47 watts and the Jonco's at 32 watts are
by far brighter and put more light ahead of you on the trail were it's needed. They are
offered in 5 different colors, attach in seconds with quick release cams, and are very
compact weighing almost nothing. There manufactured locally by an owner who cares about
the riders and will do whatever it takes to make things right. The only bad thing I can say
about these lights is that there hard to find.

K-lite RED rear LED tail light

[SIZE="4"]K-lite RED, its a real 'blinder' [/SIZE] :D SPECS: 3x XPE red/orange LED 1A Max drive level 37deg frosted optics [IMG]http://cncdelite.com/klitered.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://cncdelite.com/klitered2.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://cncdelite.com/klitered3.jpg[/IMG] KRead More »

1100lm XPG 'K-lite race' weight weenies LED bike light

[SIZE="6"]Introducing the K-lite race[/SIZE] [SIZE="4"]a striped down racing light for weight weenies & racers...[/SIZE] Super lite, super bright, Lm per gram, the lightest on earth...for now.. :D 1100lm max, fully user programable via a constant current regulator, no PWM flicker here Batte ... Read More »

Cygo Lite Night Explorer Light

I just won a Cygo Lite Night Explorer Light off Ebay - brand new - for $24(plus $12 shipping). I hope this is going to be a decent light for the occasional night ride - on the road. Did I make a good purchase? Anyone have one of these?Read More »

Light front-end on Moto-Lite

I need some feedback... I've got a medium 05 ML and I love it. I've recently had a couple of other folks ride it to get a comparison w/their bike. They have walked away impressed, but with one common assessment. The front-end is very light. I've noticed it myself to a degree, but just compensated fo ... Read More »

Which light? Cateye Triple Shot or Cygo-Lite DualCross 300 ?

Which light? Cateye Triple Shot or Cygo-Lite DualCross 300 ? I'm new to front bar headlights and i don't want to break the bank on HID and go lower tech with the halogen so that leaves LED. These two caught my eye as reasonable city and off road capable lights putting out 20 W halogen equivalents ... Read More »