JetLites Single Beam Older Lights

4.88/5 (16 Reviews)

JET Lites Single Beam

Submitted by Keith a Cross Country Rider from Dallas, TX USA

Date Reviewed: February 23, 2001

Strengths:    Very bright (white) light and wide beam pattern; handlebar clamp is secure. Customer Service at Jet is excellent.

Weaknesses:    run-time not great

Bottom Line:
I am running a single 20W Jet light on the handlebar. So far, I have been very pleased with the bright, white light and nice wide beam pattern (covers alot of ground). Run-time is not the greatest considering that a full charge on the Nimh water bottle battery only gets me about an hour and 15 minutes for the single 20W beam. Not a huge problem - excellent lights, otherwise.

Favorite Trail:   Grapevine

Purchased At:   BikerBob

Similar Products Used:   Nightrider Digital

Bike Setup:   01 RacerX

Submitted by Charles Coker a Cross Country Rider from Austin, TX

Date Reviewed: December 7, 2000

Strengths:    bright, great pattern, great company

Bottom Line:
Jet Designs are the best, period, end of discussion
I have tried all the others, they just pale in comparison (no pun intended)
I run a 20w helmet mount in technical terrain with lots of rocks and dropoffs, can ride at the same blistering pace (a joke) as during the day
I have been out on the trail with others with other lights and my Jet is WAY brighter, I sometimes will mess with people by letting them ride in front of me and then watch them ride and gauge their speed with my light helping them and seeing the contrast beteen mine and theirs, it's funny to then get in front of them and drop the hammer and they struggle to keep up, not because I am faster really I just have superior lighting which allows me to go faster...

all my close riding buds use the same setup and are very happy with the setup

Jim at Jet Designs (owner/designer) is a class act and I feel good about giving him business.

Charles Coker
hammerheadbikes.com

btw, I am not trying to sell you Jet lights, try to get your LBS to order a set in for you and then let them check it out, if they have 1/2 a brain they will start stocking them...

ride hard

Favorite Trail:   City Park, anything MORE technical

Purchased At:   hammerheadbikes.com

Similar Products Used:   you name it

Submitted by Jeremy Harvey a Cross Country Rider from Atlanta, GA

Date Reviewed: September 20, 2000

Strengths:    Durability, Reliability, and Value (should be their motto).

Weaknesses:    Haven't found any yet, but still trying.

Bottom Line:
I don't know why I'm writing this review. Read all of the reviews that follow. This light ROCKS. I am satisfied with just a 12W single beam helmet mount.

If you are racing alot, go ahead and get the whole package (12W on Helmet, 20W on bars, all with wireless infrared control.) You'll be finished buying lights for the duration of your riding life.

I priced out NiMH batteries when building my home-made light. Jet is selling their batteries at just above cost (11 batteries x ~$10 plus the wiring and molded connectors.) This is a VERY good value for a NiMH system.

Favorite Trail:   Conyers 1996 Olympic MTB Track

Purchased At:   24 Hrs of Adrenalin, Conyers

Similar Products Used:   Home-made rig that stranded me in the middle of a race.

Bike Setup:   Cannondale

Submitted by Paul Pinella a Cross Country Rider from Winchester, MA, USA

Date Reviewed: September 16, 2000

Strengths:    Overall construction and quality, brightness of light, manufacturer integrity

Weaknesses:    Handlebar mount when used on hi-rise bar

Bottom Line:
I purchased a single light this year from Jet lights this year. I'm glad I did. It's a 12 watt beam driven by a nickel metal hydride flat battery pack that fits in my back pack. I got both handlebar and the helmet mount, and for me, the helmet mount is better. The light beam follows my head wherever I look and it's very, very bright. I'd say its the equivalent of a car headlight beam.

This baby was far from cheap. I spent nearly $200 on the setup. But the dealing with the California company that makes this product over the Internet has been a pleasure.

I originally went with a cage mount for the battery, but exchanged it for the flat battery equivalent. By going this route, I can use the lights almost anywhere, including on my road bike or on skates at night. I even used it the other night to put down fertilizer on my lawn!

The new quick release handlebar mount is well made. But on my bike with the Monkeybar hi-rise, I didn't like the way the light was pitched at an angle. If you've got a straight bar, it should be fine. But because of the angle, plus the fact I really like to keep my bike clean, I'm not using it anymore. Anyway, I found the helmet mount to be superior.

Favorite Trail:   Lynn Woods

Purchased At:   Internet

Similar Products Used:   Old fashioned generators

Bike Setup:   Titus Racer X, XTR/XT combo, Monkeybar hi-rise handlebar

Submitted by Timothy Waters a Cross Country Rider from Middletown, NJ

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2000

Strengths:    Light weight, extremely bright

Weaknesses:    Bar mount difficult to adjust on trail. Water bottle velcro strap not long enough.

Bottom Line:
Bottom Line- Very Bright Light, Great Price. I bought two lights, one Helmet Light, and one Bar mount Light. Lights are so bright, they seem to confuse car drivers. Almost hit a deer, the sucker ran straight towards me and turned away at the last second. Bikers that like to haul through the woods at night should buy these lights. I would recomend the setup that I bought, except get two batery pack bateries instead of one water bottle batery and one batery pack. This way you can go on real long rides with just the helmet light. That is all that you really need.

Favorite Trail:   Kittatiny State Park

Purchased At:   bikerbob.com

Similar Products Used:   Compared with other lights on the trail.

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Killer V, Sid XC...

Submitted by Coo a Cross Country Rider from Nashville

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2000

Strengths:    light
bright
long-lasting

Weaknesses:    It isn't submersible
(DUH!)

Bottom Line:
Amazing company, amazing product. Everything isn't merely "as advertised," it's all just a litter bit better.

This thing is light-weight, tiny and hellacious bright. I couldn't believe a 12W light would be enough so I ordered it with a spare 20W bulb. Anybody wanna buy a NIB 20W bulb?

Been getting 2 hours plus burn time since the very first charge. I need a second light to mount on my helmet so's I can flash the cars that "hi-beam" me 'cause I can't dim this thing.

Need a light? BUY THIS ONE!!!

Favorite Trail:   Whiskeytown, K-Falls, Ore.

Purchased At:   Cambria Bicycle Outfitters

Similar Products Used:   The sun.

Bike Setup:   Handlebar mounted on road bike

Submitted by David Mayes a Weekend Warrior from Hinton, IA USA

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2000

Strengths:    effective light,low wight, reliable except for chargers

Weaknesses:    went through two bad battery chargers, not easy to aim the light because of mounting design, battery gauge is very expensive(did not purchase)

Bottom Line:
Good systems with light weight battery, check to see that the charger works before you buy.

Favorite Trail:   Stone State Park, Sioux City

Purchased At:   local bike dealer

Similar Products Used:   Specialized, Vista (2-5 years old)

Bike Setup:   Marin Mt. Vision Pro (XTR)

Submitted by Rebecca Cardin from Snellville, GA USA

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2000

Strengths:    Plenty of light

Weaknesses:    Couldn't list any

Bottom Line:
I am completely satisfied with this light, the price and the company itself. The owner went more than the extra mile to help me out. He explained the use of the headlight and the bar light and what he thought were the pros and cons of each setup. He had it shipped to me the next day and told me to try it out and call and let him know what I thought. I am looking forward to upgrading what I have. When you talk to him, you feel like you are talking to an old buddy. Great product, great company!!!!!!

Favorite Trail:   I love them all

Similar Products Used:   NiteRider

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher Paragon

Submitted by Rico a Weekend Warrior from Fort Walton Beach , FL

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2000

Strengths:    BRIGHT,BRIGHT,BRIGHT !!!! Quality Construction, backed by the best small? company you will EVER find !!!

Weaknesses:    Never going to find one....

Bottom Line:
The first night I went out on a commute to work , cars were dimmign there headlights, and waiting for me to pass before they merged . INCREDABLE !!!!! The purest WHITE LIGHT I have seen, in the sweetest beam pattern. I was hitting 75 foot tree tops across a 4 lane road with median !! forze a deer in his tracks.. I laughed all the way to work in amazement and the effects of this light on others.. Reflecting off street signs so far away I can't read them..
I now look forward to the ride at night, I evan took a side trail thru the woods and felt like day time...Plus the company really cares about YOU and your satisfaction, the OWNER answers the phone when you call !!! I quote a fav song of mine when I thing of this light..." I've got sunshine on a cloudy day ...."

Similar Products Used:   Cat Eye Hyper Halogen , Trek , and a few cheap others.

Bike Setup:   Schwinn S 95.2 , Mavic, XTR , assorted tires (depends on trail..)

Submitted by CSPU from Birmingham, AL USA

Date Reviewed: April 19, 2000

Strengths:    BRIGHT!!

Weaknesses:    Handle bar mount not easily adjusted

Bottom Line:
When I bought the lights I thought they were a bit pricey... well worth the money. I can see! Cars dim their lights when they are coming at me. Run forever on a charge (well maybe not forever, but a week anyhow).

Similar Products Used:   Nothing else comes close... I have used Vistalite HYP 10 Nightstick.

Bike Setup:   1999 FSR sport

Submitted by tweet a Cross Country Rider from columbus, ohio

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2000

Strengths:    bright white light
great company with dependable support

Bottom Line:
I've been using these lights for about 3 months twice a week on tight single track and fast downhills. Just the helment mount is usually enough but I use the bar mount for extra light in the tough sections. The support from this small company is unbeatable. If you have a question or concern these guys will take care of it. You will not go wrong with these lights or this company. Five flamin' carrots for these guys...see ya on the trail.

Favorite Trail:   scioto trail

Bike Setup:   helemt mount and handelbar mount 12watt single beam

Submitted by Craig Young a Weekend Warrior from Wheaton, IL, US

Date Reviewed: March 2, 2000

Strengths:    Bright, easy to use, reliable.I have the bar mount 12W single. It is an excellent choice for commuters and nighttime roadies.

Weaknesses:    Does not come with a smart charger.

Bottom Line:
This is one, bright, white light! Using the bar mount 12W single. More than I need for the routes I commute on, which are half lit by street lights, half not.

For people who bike commute, I highly recommend this light. Plenty of light for road use.

Favorite Trail:   the road

Bike Setup:   Commuter road bike (don't ask what kind - it's probably older than you are!)But, since you asked, it is an early 70s Follis (french).

Submitted by tom a Cross Country Rider from London

Date Reviewed: February 14, 2000

Strengths:    Bright like u r staring at the Sun
Ligtweight battery and bulb
Durable
The company CARES about customers and really kicks arse in General, I can't say enough about them

Weaknesses:    cost's too much in canada
battery takes a while to charge

Bottom Line:
seriously I can't say enough about the lights or the company. well first of all I ordered em for the hardwood hills race. they didn't arrive at my LBS in time (bad shipping company) but the company told me that they'd have a light system at their booth charged and ready to go, and they came through. It was fully charged and I rode them for the first time in the 24 hour race. Well they were bright as hell and my lap times were no slower so that tells you something. Onto the light, it is really all you need unless you do shore riding or DH at night. everything is really well thought out, including the thing that attaches the light to the helmet. the battery does take 18 hours to charge, longer than most, but if you start charging it just before you go to bed, then it'd done when you get home from work or school so no problems. BUY IT!!!

Favorite Trail:   my favourite trail