JetLites Dual Beam Older Lights

4.77/5 (53 Reviews)

JET Lites Dual Beam

Submitted by Doug a Cross Country Rider from Virginia

Date Reviewed: January 17, 2002

Strengths:    Bright, white light. Fuel Guage. Quick Charge Time. Very easy to set up and to switch between the 5 light levels.

Weaknesses:    The little metal part that you need to insert into the battery to charge it. ( unless you leave the lights attached, then you don't need it )

Bottom Line:
The Starfire "I" is by far the best value in dual lights out there, because you get a long running light with 5 light levels, remote switch, white light, durable casings and upgrade options. All of this for a lot less cash than other comparable systems. Plus, the guys at Jet lights are extremely helpful and very customer service oriented.

I'm buying their M6 helmet mount light next.

Favorite Trail:   Schaeffer Farms

Purchased At:   Bill Larson (Wlarson297@aol.com)

Similar Products Used:   Nightrider

Bike Setup:   Kona Hot, Z2.

Submitted by Brent a Cross Country Rider from Tucson, AZ

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2001

Strengths:    Incredibly bright, white beam, very light weight of light housings, interchangeability of modular units.

Weaknesses:    Durability is an issue, battery life expectancy is on the short side, helmet and bar mounts are somewhat rickety, expensive.

Bottom Line:
The JET produces by far the brightest and highest-quality beam that I've seen yet, but, after about 40 night rides, the battery now gives out within 30-45 minutes into a ride. Not good. When I first bought these lights, both the battery and the light units seemed a bit on the fragile side (at least compared to the seemingly bulletproof nature of my NiteRider), but they had nonetheless survived several crashes. However, I recently dropped the battery from about waist level while unloading my vehicle after a ride, and the cable jack in the battery collapsed into the battery housing. That wouldn't have happened with a NiteRider. Now, the connection intermittently loosens while riding, causing a disconcerting strobe effect (which makes for some interesting riding through technical sections. Five chilis for blindingly white light, minus 2 chilis for diminished durability and fickle battery.

Favorite Trail:   Kentucky Camp/Gardner Canyon

Similar Products Used:   NiteRider Digital Pro-6, NiteRider Trail Rat

Bike Setup:   Specialized FSR XC, Easton Monkey Lite Bar.

Submitted by James Patterson a Cross Country Rider from Santa Cruz, California

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2001

Strengths:    BRIGHT, powerful, white light! (Did I mention it was bright?) The Dual Beam Phantom InfraRed set-up is awesome! The light housings and assembly on the helmet are lightweight and comfortable. Once I got my helmet readjusted to compensate for the slight forward weight, I don't even notice they're up there anymore! The infra-red technology is awesome! I'm able to ride fire trails and non-technical uphill single track at the lowest light settings to conserve power (6 or 9 watts) once I head downhill, I start to ramp up the power... but I can ride with one 20W bulb NO PROBLEM on fast downhill singletrack. I'm talking DAYLIGHT SPEEDS. I experienced NO hesitation to ride difficult sections due to the light! It's nothing short of awesome.

Weaknesses:    The IR fuel gauge works intermittently. I talked with Jim at JetLites about the problem, and he said they'd already identified the source of the glitch and they're working on it. It's a nice feature, but doesn't really impact my riding when it doesn't give me a battery reading... I know how long it's been charged.

Bottom Line:
This product line is outstanding! I also got great advice from JetLites about what lights to use, etc. There are components that you can afford to skimp on.. but a light for serious night mountain biking isn't one of them. If you're going to do a lot of night riding, or if you want to improve your night riding experience, do yourself a favor, step up to a JetLite and you won't regret it!

My Bottom Line Opinion:

If you're not riding a JetLite, you're not RIDING at night!

Favorite Trail:   Enchanted Loop... Wilder Ranch

Purchased At:   JetLites, Santa Cruz

Similar Products Used:   NiteRider... and some crappy light that had a generator that ran off of my tire (circa 1975).

Submitted by Jay Rapson a Cross Country Rider from Tempe AZ

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2001

Strengths:    Bright white light, interchangeable components and customer service.

Weaknesses:    Connections in the water bottle battery shook loose a couple times but Jim fixed them up and shipped back quick. The dual handlebar attachment needs to be reinforced to hold both lights (I use a heavy duty elastic and haven't had any problems), the optimum solution though is to have a separate mount for each light.

Bottom Line:
My last review of these lights was a little harsh and considering how much weight these reviews carry with bikers (I bought the JET lights because of these reviews and some of you did too) I thought it only fair to set the record straight.

I have not seen another light on the trail, or at any of the 24 hour races I've done, that has a brighter or better quality of light.

I've had less problems with my lights than the guys I know who ride the NiteRider stuff.

Jim provides great customer service and is a great source of information. Everytime I've spoken with him he's been professional and responsive to my questions. He cares about the product and it shows in the way he builds his lights and treats his customers.

So the question is, would I buy these lights again? The answer, Yes, in a second.

Favorite Trail:   Sunset Loop (including the 6 mile ride up Mt. Elden Rd.)

Bike Setup:   Jamis Dakota w/XT and Marzocchi Bomber Z3 forks.

Submitted by billy from columbia, south cakalaky

Date Reviewed: January 22, 2001

Strengths:    superior lights. bright white light. cars see me, they don't hit me

Weaknesses:    you pay the price for the best

Bottom Line:
These lights are super. you pay an arm and a leg, but still they are worth it.
Now the trash talking. I ordered the ir switch with lights from bikerbob.com. What do they send me? The i switch with lights. After contacting bikerbob.com, I was told they sent the right switch. After many more e mails telling them they were wrong, I pry the information out of them that Jet was having problems with manufacturing the ir switch. After weeks of e mail tag, bikerbob.com was going to see what they could do about getting me the right switch. That was over 2 months ago. I e mailed them last week, no reply. Bottom line: superior lights, they are the best out there, but... although they asked me how I liked my Jet lights, and seemed nice...I am forced to say...
DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM BIKERBOB.COM. I REPEAT, DO NOT BUY FROM BIKERBOB.COM. THEY WILL SCREW YOU WITH A STICK, THEN KICK IT TO MAKE SURE YOU KNOW YOU'VE BEEN SCREWED. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

Purchased At:   bikerbob.com

Similar Products Used:   the moon

Bike Setup:   moab with atom race, crossrides, thompson post, flite gel, yadda yadda yadda, hole in my wallet

Submitted by John a Weekend Warrior from Seattle, WA USA

Date Reviewed: January 12, 2001

Strengths:    Very powerful and bright white light. Very durable. (See note below on how to make easier adjustments)

Weaknesses:    The mounting bracket is poorly designed. To adjust your lights, you need a screwdriver (a pain in the ars at night). I bought a 2.5" long thumb screw and a few washers at the hardware store to replace the regular machine bolt. This makes night time trail adjustments easy as pie. The added screw length acts as a lever allowing for easier adjustments. Give your lights a screw, you'll love it.

Bottom Line:
These are a high quality light that can be great with a few minor adjustments.

Bike Setup:   Mountain Cycle San Andreas, Marzocchi Jr.T, Race Face, Chris King, Hayes Hydraulics.......................

Submitted by Jay Rapson a Cross Country Rider from Tempe AZ 85283

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2001

Weaknesses:    Connections in the water bottle battery shook loose forcing me to send the battery back to Jet Designs to be fixed, twice. Cheap plastic handlebar attachment needs to be reinforced to hold the lights. Blown light bulb was $31 to replace! And now after only 1 year and 50 - 60 night rides the batteries are not holding a charge and are fading after only 1 hour of riding, which makes them basically worthless.

Bottom Line:
I bought these lights because of the reviews on this web site and have been generally diappointed. When they work right they kick ass but I've had to many problems with them to think they are a great product. A good friend bought the much cheaper Performance brand lights at the same time and he's had no problems in the past year. If I had it to do over agin I'd probably buy the Performance brand lights or look seriously at the Nightrider stuff.

Favorite Trail:   Sunset Loop - Flagstaff

Bike Setup:   Jamis Dakota w/XT and Marzocchi Bomber Z3 forks.

Submitted by John a Cross Country Rider from Lancashire, UK

Date Reviewed: December 22, 2000

Strengths:    Copious quantities of white light for my failing eyes. The ability to run both on separate brackets with the 12 watt set near and the 20 watt set into the distance really helps the downhills. Great handlebar mounted switch which can be zip tied next to the gear shifter. Supply lead is long enough to locate on the back bottle holder without interfering with the steering. Solid well molded light units.

Weaknesses:    Brackets are a bit fiddly and it is much better to have 2 rather than rely on a slightly suspect single bracket holding 2 expensive light, this also gives differing angles. Can be difficult to set at the right angle as tightening the screw alters the angle. Takes a while to charge and I always seem to forget and charge for several days which may be a BAD THING. Battery bottle is hard and can rattle on bumps. have to admit that sometimes I am not sure which lamp is on and have to hold a hand in the beam, a little red LED would be super. Sometimes a little short on time for longer rides.

Bottom Line:
I am being very picky, these lights give me a brighter, whiter cocoon of version than nearly any other I have come across, well done Jet Designs, great XC design

Favorite Trail:   Rossendale, world centre for applied mud technologies

Purchased At:   Ride On

Bike Setup:   A beautiful bright red shiny Intense Tracer, who says US stuff is second rate! (and lots of Hope bits)

Submitted by scott a Weekend Warrior from santa cruz

Date Reviewed: December 22, 2000

Strengths:    sexy,svelte, and strong white light with excellent beam patterns

Weaknesses:    None that weren't quickly and courteously remedied; a faulty cable. Big deal. Cable can loosten out of the battery( I've the flat one) depending on how its transported. Nothing a rubber band wasn't able to remedy.

Bottom Line:
Hear it again, Jim's a pleasure to deal with. He really took the time to educate me on the relative battery technologies. He created a fine looking light that works very very well. I purchased a set for myself as well as for my then time girlfriend. Unfortunately, that second set left when she did.( Guess thats the nature of a gift.)It came in handy( no lonely guy pun intended...doin' fine in that department again, thanks)for any of a number of "less enlightened" friends of mine who wanted to join me for that occasional 2:00 AMer up in Delavieaga ( where the ROOTS and rocks and gullys will EAT you if you're not "ENLIGHTENED".

Favorite Trail:   withtheselights, De LaViega

Similar Products Used:   Nothing of this calibre,but nothing I've seen around town matches it.

Bike Setup:   I did a nice job creating a custom mount that fits between the spacers on my steerertube using part of the handlebar mount. Keeps the cockpit just a little tidier and looks nice.

Submitted by David a Cross Country Rider from Corvallis, Oregon, USA

Date Reviewed: December 5, 2000

Strengths:    Weight, quality of light

Weaknesses:    Handlebar mounting bracket not adjustable for pitch, bag for holding battery for helmet mounted light not very well designed.

Bottom Line:
I decided to buy a system of double Starfire and double Phantom lights with the IR switch/gauge. At the time the IR switch was not in stock but was supposed to be coming in in days. I am still waiting 3 months later. I am disappointed with the service from Jet Lites.
To get me going temporarily Jet sent me a single Phantom and Starfire and I have some comments on them.

Good
Light brightness, weight and quality of light units. Can adjust angle on helmet mountil clamp.

Bad
Helmet mounting starp stitching was ripped when I received the unit, I had to stitch it up myself. The strap material seems a bit light weight.
The battery bag has to be unzipped to get the cable through (it would of been better if the bag had a weather resistant flap like Camelbaks do). I am a bit worried about water getting onto the battery connection.
The handlebar bracket does not allow you to adjust the angle of the beam.

I have only used it in complete darkness a couple of times, and I am happy with the beam, especially the helmet mounting. I would recommend that anyone considering buying a light system definitely get a helmet mount light before a bar mount one.

Summary - Good light, could be really good with some minor changes. Disappointed with availability and non-delivery of my gauge and switch. I really wanted this and would not have bought Jet lites without this feature. Price seems competitive with other systems out there. Buy it if you want a basic light, be careful if you want the IR controls.

Favorite Trail:   Extendo - MacDonald Forest

Purchased At:   Jet

Bike Setup:   Trek Y-5, Marzocchi Z3 100mm travel, mavic ceramic 517, race face low riser bars, time atac pedals.

Submitted by BRI a Cross Country Rider from The Woodlands

Date Reviewed: December 1, 2000

Strengths:    Brite Bulb, strong housing, easy to use.

Weaknesses:    Charge time (see below)and You can't get it wet.

Bottom Line:
This light is amazing. It is way briter then any of my friends that have Nite-Rider. The light is a bright white. It is very tough. I have crashed a couple of times and the light is fine. The only downside is it does take 18 hours to charge. Only a problem at a 24 hour race. Jet will loan you a fast charger and battery for the weekend for a very nominal charge so it kind of makes up for this problem. The other thing is I fell in a creek (bike and all) while crossing a log. My light quit working. It was a long ride home. It worked fine the next day after it dried out. I highly recommend this light to anyone. The 12 watt setting is good for just about all conditions. Only when you are going down hill or through highly technical turns do you need the 20 or 32 watts. Jet is building a very good reputation through it's customer service. They always are on hand to answer questions. One more thing, wear eye protection. It is amazing what is out there at night i.e. bugs and branches. You will never look at riding in the daytime the same.

Favorite Trail:   Huntsville

Purchased At:   Website

Bike Setup:   Spicialized FSR XC COMP (stock)

Submitted by Amos Race a Cross Country Rider from Syracuse

Date Reviewed: October 31, 2000

Strengths:    Light and, er... LIGHT!

The minor complaints below about the mounting brackets seem to have been met: the handle bar one now has a QR on it. The mounts may look a bit spindley, but i reckon them to be very elegantly designed.

Weaknesses:    Just those inherant in NiMH batteries- you can trash them by running them right down and yet they do have a little bit of a memory effect, which tempts one to try and run down before recharging (i won't try that again, fortunately mine did recharge but spending 18hrs worrying that you've just binned $100 bucks is ugly)

Bottom Line:
I bought the helmet mounted dual-beam, based on the good reviews below, hoping i could get away without having a bar light. On trails that are mostly smooth this would probably be ok. You can get away with just the 12W, but be cautious: 'cos so many people seemed happy with it i tried it on forest single track. 12W lit up the trail nicely, but not the half fallen tree hovering at head height round a corner, which i broke with my face (d'oh). Since then i have put the duals on the bars and a 12W on my head (following the advice of ?Tim below- good call). For fast, uneven, descents switching on the extra 12W on the bars brings out greater surface detail. (It's quite true that, in isolation, the helmet beam flattens the appearance of the trail- if you're new to full suspension, as i am, this can have the hidden benifit of making you understand that the bike really can float for you)

With the bar and helmet combo i now night-ride most of my regular trails at daylight speed. Descents with drop-offs still go slower but some smoother, winding descents actually go faster(!?)- 'cos i can tell that nobody's coming the other way.

My bank balance has suffered- but it was worth it!

Favorite Trail:   one i can cycle to

Purchased At:   BikerBob's Righteous Bike Shop

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Superlight (irelevant i know, but i love it so)

Submitted by Timby a Cross Country Rider from Epping, NH

Date Reviewed: October 21, 2000

Strengths:    Very strong and consistant white light. Burn time is as advertised. Light weight and easy to use on more than one bike.

Weaknesses:    Haven't found any yet.

Bottom Line:
I could not agree more with the comments from Rocky. I had the pleasure of speaking with Jim and he could not have been more helpful. The lights themselves have been great. I don't feel like I am sacrificing anything riding at night. I'm usually just using the 12w for the majority of the ride, and pop on the 20w for the descents. Bottom line: great lights.

Favorite Trail:   all

Similar Products Used:   Vista

Bike Setup:   Rocky Element Race

Submitted by RockyRider a Cross Country Rider from Irvine

Date Reviewed: October 21, 2000

Strengths:    Very bright, white light. Very light, sturdy. Jim (Jet Designs owner/president/etc.) is super-friendly and helpful.

Weaknesses:    the mounting system could maybe be a little easier, but I've not seen anything better on other lights either, so...

Bottom Line:
If you're looking for a high-end light, get this one. It seems like NiteRiders are everywhere, and they're certainly easier to find, but the Jet light is definitely better. I went for a ride last night with a friend who has a NiteRider digital extreme and we spent about five minutes comparing light beams. The Jet beam was whiter and I'd say about 10-20% brighter than the NR at all light levels. Also, the NR died about 20 minutes before my Jet did, and we were using essentially the same settings for the whole ride. I haven't tried the new wireless set-up yet, but I'm planning to as soon as the new version is ready.

Finally, dealing with Jet Designs is a pleasure. When you call or email, you invariably talk to Jim, who is the owner, president, etc. and is a great guy. He's very mellow and down to earth and a great rider too (I had the chance to ride with him on an MTBR gathering). If you call him up, he'll give you lighting recommendations and suggestions and tell you the latest scoop on his product line.

I haven't had any problems with my light, but having spoken with Jim a number of times, I can only imagine that he would be very helpful if things went awry.

You can buy the lights direct from Jet if you can't find them in a store- you won't regret it!

Purchased At:   The Bike Company, Lake Forest, CA