CatEye LD250 Older Lights

2.75/5 (8 Reviews)

Cat Eye LD250

Submitted by Pavel a Weekend Warrior from Concord, CA, US

Date Reviewed: June 14, 2001

Strengths:    small, bright, lightweight, attractive

Bottom Line:
I actually had two LD250s. The first one was made of translicent plastic and it died under the winter rain. The second one is black and it seems to be quite waterproof. This winter (2001) the bike was accidentally left in the backyard for two weeks of heavy rain, but the light is alive and blinking.
I cannot think of any weaknesses of the second light, so I'm giving it five peppers. The first one may have beed a sour grape, after all.

Favorite Trail:   Fire trails on the hills of Contra Costa county

Purchased At:   Performance store in Walnut Creek

Bike Setup:   Trek 7500, stock + Enduro 2 computer

Submitted by Greg a Weekend Warrior from Detroit, Michigan

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2001

Strengths:    small, light, and bright

Weaknesses:    failed after a ride in the rain

Bottom Line:
This light is great if you never get caught in a rain storm. I had it mounted at the bottom of the seatpost so it took quite a stream off the rear tire. I cannot believe there is no provision for waterproofing it. I feel this is totally unacceptable. Maybe it would be okay if you use a fender.

Submitted by András a Racer from UK

Date Reviewed: March 21, 2001

Strengths:    Small, VERY bright, long battery life, only constant mode (on mine).

Weaknesses:    Uses unusual batteries, thus expensive, no rechargeables available. Battery indicator warns you much too early. Beam could be a bit wider (although I haven't seen the light from another vehicle, so it might be OK).

Bottom Line:
Great light, no problems at all apart from the mounting bracket whose retaining clip was too tight; but then it broke off anyway, I don't think it's needed.

No rubber insert in mine, but still no problems with water. It isn't exactly dry here in England, but still very little water enters the light, but the light keeps working nevertheless. Also, I don't have mudguards, so most of the water comes from the rear wheel.

Don't trust the battery indicator and you will have 3-4x the battery life.

Bike Setup:   road racer

Submitted by Chua Lian Min a Racer from Singapore

Date Reviewed: November 12, 1999

Strengths:
Same all around on this page

Weaknesses:
Doesn't like to get wet.

Bottom Line:
Will most definitely fail in foul weather. Unless you'll only be riding when the sun shines, this light is a no good. Anyone who's ever own one can vouch for it. Cateye, please do something about this problem. I can't believe you guys would actually release a product with a quality and performance this sloppy!

Bukit Timah Nature Reserve

6 months

Trek Y-Five O 97

Submitted by S.Ganesh a Cross-Country Rider from Singapore

Date Reviewed: April 27, 1999

Strengths:
1. Bright
2. Transparent(360 degree view)
3. Small
4. Light

Weaknesses:
None Yet

Bottom Line:
I have contacted Cateye USA about the problem you guys stated(the LD-250 not being waterproof). Well... Cateye said that it should hold up to rain although, they did state that some riders have had problems with the rear wheel pounding water on the cateye. They recommended me to avoid that(Maybe just to play safe, I'll cover my CATEYE with a clear plastic sheet). This light is one of the brightest lights I have ever seen! Many of the cyclists in my group are amazed at it's brightness. At SING$15 each, this rear light is a value for money!

Bukit Timah, Singapore

less than 1 month

Submitted by Amran a Cross-Country Rider from Singapore

Date Reviewed: April 23, 1999

Strengths:
Bright light

Weaknesses:
isn't water-proof

Bottom Line:
Mine doesn't come witha rubber gasket .. just like Nat's .. I rode it in rain too & yes it's not working now, I was going to check if it's the batteries but I've only used it not too long .. then I read the review here .. now I'm not sure if I should get replacement batteries, might be wasting my money as I don't need that batteries that size for anything else ..

3 months

K2 Litetech/RST281

Submitted by yakko a weekend warrior from England, land of tea and cucumber sandwiches

Date Reviewed: February 14, 1999

Bottom Line:

Unlike with Nat my ld 250 does have a rubber gasket (a yellow one), so maybe yours was missing something.
It does give a good bright light, and the clips to put it on your clothes are a good extra.
Also act as a funky light display on my clothes when i go clubbin.

Submitted by Nat a weekend warrior from WA

Date Reviewed: February 7, 1999

Bottom Line:

The Cat Eye LD 250 is a bright tail light. It is smaller than most tail lights and uses camera batteries which gives you 100 hours (according to box) of use. The body is made of plastic as is usual for most tail lights, it has 2 modes, flashing and steady. I used it for a month and a half and it served me well.. Until I rode in the rain. It refused to blink or turn off after the first rainy ride, staying constantly on intead. I removed the batteries and dried the unit. I noted that the unit had no waterproofing gaskets at all. Got it to work again. The very next day, I rode in the rain again (a friend borrowed my car). When I got to work.. CatEye was dead. No amount of drying would make it work again. Needless to say, I was pretty miffed. I bought a Trek tail light as a replacement. The Trek unit has a rubber piece presumably to keep water out. Hopefully this works. To CatEye's credit, their HL-500 headlight, though feeble, has been giving me good service for almost 10 months now. I have replaced it with a Gary Fisher Super Nova halogen light and it (the HL-500) now serves as a flashlight in my car. But no more Cat Eye Tail lights for me for sure.