Trek Vapor Older Helmets

4.71/5 (52 Reviews)

Trek Vapor

Submitted by Elvin Aquino a Cross Country Rider from Quezon City, Philippines

Date Reviewed: June 14, 2011

Strengths:    Reasonably priced, not bad when it comes to weight

Weaknesses:    Designs are a bit dull, but who really cares? =)

Bottom Line:
Bought this helmet sometime in 2007, but finally broke it last year (2010) on a night ride. We were pedalling on a national road around 2km away from our cars towards the end of the ride. A drunken guy suddenly crossed my path while I was running a 35km/hr or so. I braked suddenly to avoid hitting the guy (couldn't just swerve as there were cars behind us), which sent me hurtling towards the road shoulder. I was able to tuck and roll but I felt my head making impact with the ground at full force. When we got back to our cars a few minutes after the incident, I inspected the helmet and found that the back portion had 3 vertical cracks. This helmet saved my life! And it didn't break the bank too paying for it.

Favorite Trail:   Maarat

Purchased At:   R.O.X.

Similar Products Used:   Several Bell helmets, Giro helmets, etc.

Bike Setup:   2009 KHS XC Team + Manitou Minute MRD Fork + XT Group Set

Submitted by Duncan a Weekend Warrior from Guatemala

Date Reviewed: September 24, 2010

Strengths:    It did its job when it needed to! Great price, good fit, comfortable, cool in the heat.

Weaknesses:    None that matter to me now.

Bottom Line:
Yesterday I crashed big time. The left side of my body is one big scab. I pulled muscles I didn't know I had. I got a dozen stitches and it was just dumb luck that I didn't brake any bones.

However at this moment I am sitting here looking at a helmet with two bad cracks in it - cracks that would have otherwise been in my skull. I am delighted to tell you I never had so much as a headache.

Purchased At:   Bike Center, in Guat

Bike Setup:   Giant XTC

Submitted by mg a Weekend Warrior from Windsor, CT, USA

Date Reviewed: May 5, 2010

Strengths:    Good fit. It saveed my life

Weaknesses:    Fit adjustment wheel is a tad tricky to turn.

Bottom Line:
The Trek Vapor saved my life. I was nailed by a car, I was going 20, the car was moving, my head hit & cracked the windshield. Broken nose, broken neck (factures to the spinus processes). When the orthopedist showed me the x-rays, he showed me the neck fractures, then said 'the important part is absolutely no damage to the cranium'. The right front quarter of trhe helmet is gone, but I'm not. I just bought another Vapor. Even though the primary monochrome colors this year are pretty ugly. :)

Favorite Trail:   The roads of Hartford County

Similar Products Used:   Garneau Zen

Bike Setup:   Cannondale

Submitted by melster a Weekend Warrior from Ladera Ranch, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2010

Strengths:    Fits very well, no movement once fitted, reasonably priced, and works very well from personal experience.

Bottom Line:
I had a nasty OTB at Marshall Canyon in Upland. I rolled over head over heels a couple of times, and distinctly thinking "Game Over" when I rolled and saw my head about to smack onto a big rock. I tucked my head down, and instead of my face hitting the rock, the front of the helmet took the brunt of the impact.

The helmet cracked and the band around the back of the helmet broke off, but my head was completely protected thanks to the helmet.

Purchased At:   Jax

Bike Setup:   2005 Giant VT-One.

Submitted by thomllama a Weekend Warrior from CT

Date Reviewed: June 3, 2009

Strengths:    comfortable, reasonably light, solid!! fits right. .....oh and did I say comfy?

Weaknesses:    straps a bit hard to adj.. but you only do that once.

Bottom Line:
I have had a few different helmets, some "higher" end, some cheaper. I have found most of the mid to cheapies fell better. the high end ones just don't sit right on my head. Found this helmet by chance on sale at a shop just outside a trail when I forgot my regular one at home. put it on and haven't used any other since.

I had a pretty major face plant a few weeks ago. hit HARD on the front of my face/head. between the glasses and helmet a lot of damage was averted. the helmet is crushed and cracked in many places in the front, but my skull isn't. only bone I broke was my nose. Helmet did it's job, very well!!

Favorite Trail:   Bluff Point in CT Rocky Point on Long Island

Purchased At:   local shop

Submitted by Northern Virginia Rider a Weekend Warrior from Fairfax, VA, US

Date Reviewed: October 13, 2008

Strengths:    Protects your head at a reasonable price.

Bottom Line:
You can argue that safety gear is the one area for which money should be no object, but I suspect the $100+ helmets get you lighter weight more than anything else.

Two days ago I went over the bar and came down hard on my head, shoulder, and back. The Vapor cracked, my skull didn't. All is well.

I went out the next day and bought a new Vapor. It's a helmet that does the job at a very reasonable price.

By the way, keep your receipt when you buy a Vapor, or I imagine any other Trek helmet. On the box it says that if you crash within the first year and damage the helmet, you can send the helmet and receipt to Trek, and they will replace it with a new one.

Favorite Trail:   Fountainhead

Purchased At:   The Bike Lane, Burke

Similar Products Used:   Earlier generation Vapor.

Submitted by Nagognog a Cross Country Rider from Vermont

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2008

Strengths:    Price, design, comfort, and style.

Weaknesses:    None noted. Maybe because it was so inexpensive, people might turn up their noses. Silly people! LOL.

Bottom Line:
I tried all the helmets a large store had to offer. Money was not an object. The Trek Vapor won hands-down. I highly recommend this helmet for riders of all ages.

Favorite Trail:   Burlington Bike Trails

Purchased At:   North Star Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   I had an old Bailen helmet. Cracked in half after a bad fall. It was an excellent helmet, but it was far from comfortable. It was hot, wouldn't stay put. But is saved my head!

Bike Setup:   Currently I'm riding a Trek 7.5 FX. Road and not-to-wild off-road.

Submitted by Roland Cuellar a Cross Country Rider from Fort Irwin, CA, United States

Date Reviewed: October 9, 2005

Strengths:    Fits good, looks good and is very lightweight. The fine tuning knob is a perfect tweak.

Weaknesses:    I don't know if there is one. It's kept my nugget in one piece.

Bottom Line:
This helmet is probably one of the best helmets on the market, and the price is very average joe range. I've done months of research for a good helmet for my son and myself and I must say when I bought this dome for myself, I DONE GOOD! Of course you could go out and pay big dollars for Giro or Giant, but I'm no high roller, so this is a great helmet for people in my neck of the desert.

Favorite Trail:   Mule Trail in the Mojave

Purchased At:   Victorville Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Bell helmets

Bike Setup:   Motobecane 700DS

Submitted by Jimmy from OC

Date Reviewed: February 4, 2005

Strengths:    Awesome looks, lightwight, great fit, inexpensive

Bottom Line:
I was going to get the Giro Xen because it seemed to be a great fit for my head. But I couldn't justify spending over 100.00 for it. The Vapor is simply awesome for the price. Don't waste your money on the expensive helmets, give the vapor a try and you won't be disappointed!

Purchased At:   Bicycle Discovery

Similar Products Used:   Giro

Bike Setup:   Custom Rockhopper

Submitted by Chris Fall from Alaska

Date Reviewed: October 16, 2003

Strengths:    -Cheap (Even though it looks like I paid more than most)
-Well-ventilated
-Great fit
-Great Protection

Weaknesses:    -Visor is so short it almost looks stupid

Bottom Line:
This helmet probably prevented me from cracking my head open and helped me only get a concussion. Only 8 days after getting the helmet, I had a big crash and broke my thumb and collar bone and got a mild concussion, but I couldn't imagine hat it would have been like without the helmet, or my old helmet.

It fits great and works great, what can I say, Is better than helmets 4-5x the money.

Purchased At:   The Bicycle Shop

Submitted by IAN a Cross Country Rider from Middletown, CT

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2003

Strengths:    -good looks
-good protection
-adjuster knob on back

Weaknesses:    i hate the trek name, im a little biased what can i say, i like giants.when i take it off after a long ride, sweat just drips down into my eyes and face. thats probably because i have such a mop.

Bottom Line:
i love this helmet.

Similar Products Used:   trek euphoria. after a couple of bad crashes, LBS replaced it free.

Submitted by Tom a Weekend Warrior from Wilkesbarre PA

Date Reviewed: November 23, 2002

Strengths:    Great Fit, great price

Bottom Line:
Great helmet for the price, fit is perfect. Straps are easy to adjust. Helmet is cool in the summer. I like this helmet better than one I paid twice as much for.

Similar Products Used:   Bell

Submitted by Thomas Falkiner a Weekend Warrior from Johannesburg, South Africa

Date Reviewed: October 26, 2002

Strengths:    Fantastic fit! Snug and hugs the head better than any other helmet I have tried. Awesome looks, good mixture of soft and sharp lines. Cool ventalation.

Weaknesses:    A bit of a fiddle to adjust.

Bottom Line:
If like the look of the very expensive helmets but cannot afford them, this is the helmet for you. Performance is an added bonus!

Favorite Trail:   Mostly road cycling...

Similar Products Used:   Prowell helmets.

Bike Setup:   Giant Iguana with road racing gears, Continental slicks, club roost bars, Titec stem. Otherwise stock.

Submitted by Glenn Bryars a Cross Country Rider from Clarksville, TN

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2002

Strengths:    Lightweight, well ventelated, takes an impactlooks better than others I tried in the same price range.

Weaknesses:    Pads are poorly made, nylon glued to foam. They fell apart after 3 months. I contacted my dealer & Trek only to find out you can't get replacements.

Bottom Line:
The shell is solid and stylish. The pads (and Trek's support) are JUNK. Even a moderately priced helmet should last more than one season, barring a serious impact.

Purchased At:   Bikes and Moore

Similar Products Used:   Giro Havoc

Bike Setup:   Hardtale frame with XTR drive Hayes disk breaks, Mavik 317 rims, Shimano XT disk hubs. Terry Liberator Comfort seat and Rockshox suspension post. A real mutt of a ride but I like it.

Submitted by Robert a Weekend Warrior from Crownsville

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2002

Strengths:    Good ventilation for the price, looks better than most other bike helmets, lightweight, best fit (for me) of any helmet I've tried. Although, I haven't seriously tried anything more than $60. Suspension is almost like a sweatband, so you don't have to worry about getting sweat in your eyes on long hard rides when it's hot.

Weaknesses:    The visor is rather small, but do you need it? Most helmets don't have visors, and who doesn't wear some kind of eyeglass when riding? Not a moulded shell, so it doesn't have as much ventilation as helmets that cost 2 - 3 times as much as it. Okay, so visors probably aren't the most aerodynamic shape for bike helmets which would probably explain road racers not using them.

Bottom Line:
Recently, I've been doing 2.5 to 3 hour trips in temps that are in or near the low to mid 90's(Fahrenheit) on pavement. During these trips I've only taken my helmet off one or two times, it remains comfortable but oddly enough it seems to loosen up after a while, but no big deal.
It's a great all around helmet for the money, and I highly recommend it, but since the $100 - $200 helmets do have more vents I'll only give it four chilis overall and five for value.

Favorite Trail:   anything traverible

Purchased At:   Bike Doctor (LBS)

Similar Products Used:   Bell Sonar that was given to me the day I got my bike.

Bike Setup:   2001 Trek 4300.

2014 Vapor Trail

My thoughts from this year's Vapor... hell of a time. Top-notch race and just super, super tough... Best volunteers ever! [url=http://www.otcadventure.com/adventures/2014/09/10/in-to-the-ether/]In to the Ether | Off the Couch Adventure[/url]Read More »

Help..anyone know of a RM Vapor 27.5 in US?

In your travels have any of you seen a medium 2014 Rocky Mountain Vapor 27.5? Can you good peeps keep an eye out for 1 and if you see it please let me know. None of my LBS have one and Rocky is all out until the 15's come out. Thanks!Read More »

Vapor Trail 125 for 2013 in the books

Finish time results are up for the Vapor Trail 125 at [url=http://vaportrail125.com/vaporResults.php]Vapor Trail 125 Results[/url] A new women's course record has been set, 16 hours 35 minutes by Jari Kirkland of Crested Butte, CO. Wendy Lyall of Aspen came in at 17 hours 8 minutes, which wou ... Read More »

Vapor Trail 125 2013 - follow the blue dot

The Vapor Trail 125 starts in 6 1/2 hours. Trackleaders (the folks who bring you Tour Divide and CTR tracking) will be supporting the event. Get up in the morning and see where all the monkeys are: [url=http://trackleaders.com/vapor13]Vapor Trail 125 2013 live tracker by trackleaders.com[/url]Read More »

Rocky Mountain Vapor 2012

Hi everyone. I found a 2012 Rocky Mountain Vapor on sale for $550. The bike is a demo, but in a great shape with few small scratches. The original price was $700, this year on sale $599, but the sales guy said $550 if I really want to get it. I would get a full warranty and a year of free tune up if ... Read More »