Giro Switchblade Older Helmets

• 2XS/XS, S/M, L/XL

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by bryantracy a Weekend Warrior from Oakland, Ca, USA

Date Reviewed: September 24, 2010

Strengths:    I crashed at 40 km/hr. In hospital for two nights. No head injury. Six ribs, one collar bone. No head injury.

Perfect for morning commute when weather is cool. Warm in winter. Some rain protection. OK in summer except when beasty hot

Weaknesses:    None. If anyone knows of a replacement product, I will buy you a beer.

Bottom Line:
    Permanent search going on eBay trying to find another

Favorite Trail:   Skyline Blvd

Purchased At:   Sunshine Bikes

Similar Products Used:   I had 3 Switchblades. Crashed one, lost two. Looking for another.

Bike Setup:   Merlin Road Bike

Submitted by greg duclose a Cross Country Rider from scottsdale, az

Date Reviewed: February 9, 2008

Strengths:    Only unit at the time that offer protection of the face. With a home made front plastic sheild to protect your face from cold weather, works great in cold mornings/night.

Weaknesses:    Weight is too high when you are laying low street racing and our head is out and titled up to see, see through the visor openings. Your back neck muscals get strain. You must place a side rod mirror to your right so you can see whats coming from behind. Need to closed off side ears opening to protect from the cold.

Bottom Line:
    Haven used it for 8 years.

Bike Setup:   street urban bike

Submitted by Jake Bean a Weekend Warrior from El Paso, Texas

Date Reviewed: February 27, 2005

Strengths:    Awesome, can be used as full-face, or xc helmet.

Weaknesses:    Chin Strap squeezes throat when full-face is on

Bottom Line:
    Awesome helmet! I've used it for a long time, and its held up beautifully! Saved my bacon a few times too! Very comfortable and cool, a little funky with the chin straps when the face guard is bolted on. Great buy, great performance, definetly recommended.

Favorite Trail:   Anything With Rocks!

Purchased At:   Ride On Sports

Bike Setup:   Giant VT One, Manitou Minute 1:00

Submitted by Dresden Lock a Cross Country Rider from NC USA

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2004

Strengths:    Lightweight/Alot of Ventilation/Good Looking/Sturdy/Clear Viewing

Weaknesses:    Tear Away Pads on the face guard/Tear away Visor/the PRICE/the back adjustment is funky

Bottom Line:
    I really like this helmet...Ive used it almost daily for 2 years...I wish you get some more acessories for it like another visor..some more pads etc...other than that..I love it...its lightweight....its a cool feeling helmet...it looks good...its sturdy...I can't complain.

Favorite Trail:   Smith Lake

Purchased At:   Price Point

Bike Setup:   Mongoose Pro Full suspension

Submitted by Dave Davies a Weekend Warrior from Auckland, New Zealand

Date Reviewed: March 16, 2004

Strengths:    Very comfortable, nice and airy. Just that little bit of added protection over a XC helmet but with all the comfort. Fits well and is really comfortable. High quality construction, excelent shock absortion.

Weaknesses:    1. Price. It is pretty expensive
    2. THEY STOPPED MAKING IT ! ! !
    I am soooo gutted that they stopped makig this helmet but apparently it was becuase of weakness number 1. I managed to get another one from a supplier that had some old stock..
    3. Doesnt absorb sweat from your forehead very well. I get drips running down my face.

Bottom Line:
    I bought this helmet about 3 or 4 months ago and loved it. Last weekend I went endo off a jump down a hill and my 45 pound bighit came crashing down the hill after me and the main top tube smashed me in the head. when it hit me I felt the helmet absorb the impact, aside from being a little dazed I was totally fine. The helmet was mush but my melon was totally sweet. Worth every single penny becuase this helmet saved my life.
    Its a real shame that they have discontinued them but apparently they were just too expensive for them to sell as many of them as they would have liked recently.
    I managed to find one but I will be very careful with this one as I know I wont be able to get another.

Favorite Trail:   Big Mummah

Purchased At:   Planet Cycles (YOU GUYS ROCK!)

Similar Products Used:   Skate lids...

Bike Setup:   Specialized Bighit comp 04
    04 Marz Junior T
    24" dmr rims + specialized roller pro RS tyres
    Truvative holz pedals
    Rest is stock

Submitted by Dustin Bilthouse a Racer from Atlanta,USA

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2004

Strengths:    Not for DH. I consider my style aggresive crosscountry and this helmet works very well for that. I take more chances riding with this versus openfaced.

Weaknesses:    Gets a little steamy after 2 hours.

Bottom Line:
    Your a fool if you use this helmet for DH purposes. This is a great buy for XC riders who want to step it up a notch and take chances. Best part, the face plate removes when you want to ride open face. While it has gotten a little hot sometimes, this helmet has meet the ground many a times before my face has. Make sure you get the right size, mine fits perfect, but these other a$$es don't know the size of their own noggin.

Favorite Trail:   Chicopee

Purchased At:   Jenson USA

Bike Setup:   03' Fisher Marlin w/ shimano Dh peds, mavic crosslands, avid mech disc, maxxis ignitors, Easton carbon HB and SP, XT rear derailur, Selle Italia pro gel...ummm, i believe thats it.

Submitted by big hit mike a Cross Country Rider from lancaster

Date Reviewed: February 3, 2004

Strengths:    lots of vents,faceguard protection,light weight,cool titanium color

Weaknesses:    pads inside are starting to come apart

Bottom Line:
    this helmet saved my ass when i took a 6'drop and crashed much on my face, the face guard hit my chin and ended up with a sore chin but im sure i would have ended up a lot worse if i didnt have the extra protection. ill never go back to open face. if you can still find this helmet buy it!

Favorite Trail:   pacific crest trail

Purchased At:   pricepoint

Bike Setup:   specialized bighit,dc shiver forks,8.1 travel conversion in the rear,8"hayes,and 3 chain rings up front

Submitted by Bugzee Malone from Kiwi in Kobe, Japan

Date Reviewed: November 4, 2003

Strengths:    Lotsa vents
    Removeable jaw
    moveable visor

Weaknesses:    after a while it rubs my head at the top of my forehead even though I have added padding

Bottom Line:
    This is a XC helmet with extra face protection, not a full downhill helmet (Buy a Mad Max instead)

After hitting a tree and getting a black eye and a swollen cheek even though I was wearing a normal bike helmet.
    I bought this Switchblade helmet for the extra face protection it offered.

With all the vents its much cooler than other full face helmets I have worn. The jaw doesn't obstruct the vision like others do.

One of the best features is the moveable visor.
    While it may not be the strongest, it can be set high so you don't get "clotheslined" by low branches or adjusted low to keep rain etc out of your eyes.

Once I get the forehead padding sorted out I will be very satisfied with it.

Favorite Trail:   Futatabesan

Purchased At:   $90 on eBay

Similar Products Used:   various helmets

Bike Setup:   Giant AC3 + mods

Submitted by Jim a Cross Country Rider from Albany, NY, USA

Date Reviewed: July 16, 2003

Strengths:    Well vented, security of knowing you have that little extra protection (lets you push yourself over harder riding), not to forget the added protection over most standard bike helmets, versitility

Weaknesses:    Flimsy visor (broke off on simple crash), $h!tty padding (poor sweat absorbtion, not all too comfy), rubs my head at the center of my forehead and middle of the back of my head... probally my oddly shaped head though)

Bottom Line:
    A good helmet if you don't mind giving a little comfort for a added security... I find when I am not concerned about what my grill will look like in my next interview, I push myself harder and over more difficult terrain. Good if you got the cash.

Purchased At:   Biker & Boarder Town near Gore MT.

Similar Products Used:   Bell w/o chin plate

Submitted by The Beast a Downhiller from Hell

Date Reviewed: July 8, 2003

Strengths:    It gives ok protection
    Good venting
    Light
    Removable faceplate
    One of the only helmets that fits my large head

Weaknesses:    protection not as good as some full face
    Kinda pricey

Bottom Line:
    Well...I did a nice face plant into the dirt I hit really hard and all I ended up with was a couple scratches on the face (the rest of me was quite f**ked up). If giro made faceguard bigger, farther away form the face and made it fiberglass or carbon fiber I would have had nothing on my face and the face guard might have not cracked. I cant really complain though because it really saved my ass and I can get a replacement fo cheap.

Purchased At:   123bikes

Similar Products Used:   Other full face and xc helmets

Submitted by Jose Matias a Weekend Warrior from Lisbon, na, Portugal

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2003

Strengths:    Aparent resistance (fortunatelly never tested..). Painting. Weight.

Weaknesses:    Lack of pads; Bad sweat absorption; Lousy owner's manual.

Bottom Line:
    It could be more comfortable, but perhaps it's only a problem of compatibility of shape head/helmet. My previous Bell was more comfortable.

Purchased At:   Loja das Bicicletas - Lisboa

Similar Products Used:   Bell (whatever model it was)

Bike Setup:   Mondraker Pensacola Pro w/ Rock Shox SID lockout rear, Marzocchi MX Pro ETA, XT/Deore, Formula 4 racing, ONOFF components.

Submitted by Godlike DHR a Downhiller from poole,England'uk

Date Reviewed: February 16, 2003

Strengths:    good light helmet which has the advantage oftaking the face guard off. Also good for summer riding because it so many vents

Weaknesses:    not much padding and easily cracks. Mine cracked all the way down the back but it was a harse crash

Bottom Line:
    Great helmet for summer use but for racing and all year round use its better to get something stonger. I ahve know recently invested in a tld D2 which is an amazing helmet.

Favorite Trail:   Les Gets

Similar Products Used:   other giro's

Bike Setup:   Club Roost DH8, Shiver DC, Hope M4, 321s on Hope bulbs, Blackspire, X-lite

Submitted by Terrence Miyasato a Weekend Warrior from Waipahu, Hawaii

Date Reviewed: February 4, 2003

Strengths:    First & Foremost: Diane, Customer Service @ Giro. Secondly, helmet is light considering it can be used as a full face. Removeable face guard for when you don't want to look to hardcore when cruzing in your neighborhood, well then again it depends on what neighborhood your cruzing in (ha)! Rock lock keeps your melon snug.

Bottom Line:
    Well to start, Diane, customer service at Giro is the greatest. My padding was getting shredded and local bike shops don't carry replacements. Emailed Giro, Diane responded immediately and sent replacements free-ninety-free (cha-ching! - no charge!) Couple of weeks later, downhilling, I ate it, must have impacted the front (good thing for the switchblade), lost my visor. Again, no place carries it, Diane came through again, all this via email. Hopefully, she doesn't get swamped by email requests, but it is really great to know that there are some companies that still provide great customer service. Now on to the helmet, there are countless times that I have gone over the bars and the helmet saved my melon. Lots of air slots keep my head cool between crashes. The faceguard may seem like a little much, but there are times when I've looked at my helmet after rides and noticed scrapes and some new dents in the guard and didn't even realize I hit that part of the helmet. Who should use this helmet? Perhaps all experience levels. The trails I ride have varying terrain, some cross country and some nice single track with steep technicals here and there. To some it might be overkill, but for me with varying riding terrain its perfect, the faceguard is removable should you feel its unnecessary for your riding. Therefore, I give five big flaming chiles for value rating due to great customer service and product quality/function and again five big flaming chiles for the overall rating.

Favorite Trail:   All of 'em

Purchased At:   Cambria Bike

Similar Products Used:   Bell

Bike Setup:   Schwinn Rocket 88 - xt components, rock shox sid F/R
    Schwinn Straight 6 - xt components, fox shox, rock shox psylo
    Schwinn 4 Banger - xt components, rock shox judy F, sid R

Submitted by Brandon Gleason a Weekend Warrior from Chapel Hill, NC

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2003

Strengths:    -Light
    -Looks Good
    -Fairly Strong
    -Keep your head cool

Weaknesses:    -Doesnt fit very snug
    -Not enough pads

Bottom Line:
    Good helmet but not quite what I was looking for. If there were more pads and it fit better it would be great. I probaly should have gone ahead and gotton the Mad Max II. But if you dolight urban riding or dirt jumping this helmet is great.

Favorite Trail:   Anything with jumps or drops

Purchased At:   Pro Deal

Bike Setup:   Giant AC Air...Stock exept for XT cassete and Race Face bash guard

Submitted by Rick Burns a Cross Country Rider from Folsom, Calif

Date Reviewed: November 24, 2002

Strengths:    full face is a good way to go. This helmet is light and relatively cool.

Weaknesses:    expensive.... and see below

Bottom Line:
    My wife has been riding with this helmet for about 3 months. She crashed really hard about 1 week ago. The helmet, while probably saving her face, didn't work perfectly. Problem: the little extra straps that they add to this helmet to add stability came loose on one side during the crash. Then the face plate section of the helmet smashed into her chin and cut her all the way through. She had a inch long hole in her face. When I checked the helmet later I noticed that the edges of the face plate are like a freaking knife. Now that I see that it sure seems like a stupid design. Why put a piece of very sharp plastic right infront of your face. They need to fix this. The edges of the face plate shouldn't be so dangerous.

Favorite Trail:   Santa Cruz Trail (near Santa Barbara)

Purchased At:   Moab...don't remember the name