Giro Supermoto Older Helmets

4.58/5 (33 Reviews)

Giro Supermoto Helmet

Submitted by prc a Cross-Country Rider from Batalha Portugal

Date Reviewed: December 20, 1999

Strengths:
Everything you need in a helmet.

Weaknesses:
None.

Bottom Line:
Its time for me to retire the Supermoto.It's not the best looking helmet or the lightest or the one with 5 zillion vents, but it did its job quite well. It fit great was relatively light and save my melon from stiches on a number of occasions.I really can not ask for more from a helmet.

more than 3 years

Specialized, Bell

Submitted by Brian Kopp a Racer from Baltimore, MD

Date Reviewed: April 23, 1999

Strengths:
fit great from first to lastsaved my life

Weaknesses:
front heavy

Bottom Line:
I lost balance and fell 17 feet from a bridge on a fire road, landing on some rocks. My Supermoto took a big fat rock at the temple and slit down the side. It performed wonderfully, no complaints here. I'll be getting one of those fancy hammerheads once i'm back. By the way... no broken bones... camelback saved my spine. cool

Merriman's Mill loop

2 Years

Submitted by berrywise a cross-country rider from Stillwater, Mn

Date Reviewed: March 2, 1999

Bottom Line:

I am about to buy a new helmet so I figured now would be a good time to review my last one. I picked up the Supermot out of Supergo for fifty dollars. I find that to be a great deal considering this was once Giro's top of the line helmet.
There are obvisously cooler, lighter, better looking helmets out there but at 50 dolars you really can't go wrong here. I would really suggest instead of spending 130 on this year's newest buying last years for 50-70.Great venting, nice looks, great protection.

Submitted by SuperHemme a racer from Univ. of Richmond, VA

Date Reviewed: February 24, 1999

Bottom Line:

I have a supermoto and boy o boy let me tell you how super it really is. I was riding just a few months ago when my friend wasnt paying attention to me turning. At about 25 mph he slammed into me and we both went flying. I lived and my head was ok. Thats what makes the supermoto cool. The problem.... its a little wide on my head

Submitted by Krzysztof Zielinski a cross-country rider from Poland

Date Reviewed: November 16, 1998

Bottom Line:

I always wanted to have this helmet as it has superb look. I bought it at Supergo for only 49 $ and I'm very pleased with it - very light and comfortable, Roc Loc holds it in place. What else could I say - I'm happy I finally got it because as I wrote I always wanted to have it. Great helmet.

Submitted by Bill Mistretta a downhiller from Osan AB, Korea

Date Reviewed: August 18, 1998

Bottom Line:

Wanted the Bell EVO Pro 2, but had to settle for the Supermoto RL...hey for $49 at Supergo it was a REAL deal! Like the fit alot, but I wish it came with more removable pads then just the brow pad. I recently played chicken with a tree at the end of a gnarly downhill attempt, and the tree won. The Supermoto saved my melon (but alas, the helmet cracked bad) and I got up and laughed it off! Great helmet for the price...go to Supergo and get this helmet NOW!!! Not much of a color selection though.

Submitted by BGOld a cross-country rider from Providence, RI

Date Reviewed: July 23, 1998

Bottom Line:

This helmet is super and it's moto and I got it for only $49 at Supergo. My first real helmet and it's got 16 vents and weighs about 10 oz. the roc lock does it's job and the air flow is great and it's real light. My only gripe is that they don't tell you wher to stick to fitting pads and they only give you four so if you mess up like I did and try them in ten different places they don't stick and you're stuck, but I contacted Giro and they sent me sticky velcro things to attach rhem so it gets five of those awful looking things

Submitted by Ben Timmins a cross-country rider from Cumberland,B.C Canada

Date Reviewed: July 7, 1998

Bottom Line:

YA'LL CROWD AROUND NOW! This helmet is light,comfartable and pretty stylin. I went from an old specialized helmet to this and I've noticed a fat difference in my head at the end of a ride. Another thing that I liked about this helmet is the 16 fat titty sized holes this baby packs. The only promblem with the helmet was that if left in heat the plastic melts a bit and get's weeker. If you can spend around $150-$200 this helmet is pretty FAT, I definetily reccomend it. ITS DOPE.

Submitted by Tom a cross-country rider from Maryland

Date Reviewed: February 22, 1998

Bottom Line:

Great Helmet! Light as a feather, fits like a glove, great adjustments. Even the strap doesn't seem to tangle! Sizing is kind of odd - I usually need a Large to Extra Large but with this helmet a M/L fit perfectly. I didn't even have to add padding to get a better fit. Make sure you try the different sizes before buying. Can't go wrong with this!

Submitted by Lisa Mulzet a cross-country rider from Vancouver, B.C.

Date Reviewed: November 15, 1997

Bottom Line:

I've had a bell and a specialized. Before purchasing this helmet I did some serious try-ons of bell, specialized, trek, trexxel, and Louis Garneau. This is the only helmet that fits snuggly. While it took me a while to make the decision to part with the cash, I am finally wearing a helmet that doesn't flop around. I'm sure it was worth it.

Submitted by Marky a racer from Brockville, Ontario

Date Reviewed: September 25, 1997

Bottom Line:

Love this lid! This is my first real MTB specific helmet. I was wearing the Specialized Air Pirranha but got tired of the thing boucing all over my head. The Supermoto has great fit, comfort, and air cooling. Highly recommend this helmet.

Submitted by Angus Trenholme a cross-country rider from Southampton, UK

Date Reviewed: September 19, 1997

Bottom Line:

Bought the haelmet to replace a rather nasty bell item. Fits like a hat (well I would say glove, but since when has anyone worn a glove on their head?)
After several months use it has become more than a little sweaty, so I decided to replace it. Thirty five mph coming off Mam Tor in the Peak District, the trail suddenly tightens, and I'm left facing 6 boulders. Suspension can't quite cope, so i go down on my head and face. Result - stopped, but with unconciousness, mountain rescue, hospital, thirty five external and twenty internal stitches, and I have got another helmet, or rather five helmets, because that's what my supermoto ended up as. It saved my life, and the bonus is that you get a cheap replacement - and its clean.(I'm sure thereare easier ways to get a week of work though)

Submitted by Dave L a cross-country rider from Anchorage, Ak.

Date Reviewed: September 17, 1997

Bottom Line:

One highspeed downhill crash. Results: Fractured hip socket,lots of rash,damaged
helmet..... no head injury. My Supermoto stayed on, stayed in place and totaly
protected my head. What more could you want.

Submitted by Matt a racer from Fargo

Date Reviewed: September 5, 1997

Bottom Line:

There is no doubt that Giro makes the best helmets, but I wish they would be just a little cheaper. I got the 96 one, I paid $109 for mine and I thought I got a deal from the $130 deal. Now I see they go for 99 bucks or whatever, its a great helmet, the Exodus is better looking, but the Supermoto will leave you a little jingle in your pocket. Once you've had Roc Loc there is no turning back. They also have great road helmets.

Submitted by jerry a cross-country rider from Corvallis, Or

Date Reviewed: July 28, 1997

Bottom Line:

Just one little mistake on Top Secret, a tight, steep singletrack and it was head first off the bike. I didn't even have time to put my hands up. Smash, I could feel the helmet disintigrate into about 8 pieces around my head, cut my forehead (10 Stitches), scrapped my face up, crunched my neck (its pretty sore), but I got up and slowly rode the 5 miles back to the car. Without it, who knows, so I have to give this unit 10 chilies.

Paid Spam-Titus Supermoto frame-Clean

[url=http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showproduct.php?product=82247&title=2004-titus-supermoto&cat=7]2004 Titus Supermoto - Buy and Sell and Review Mountain Bikes and Accessories[/url] Ordered an On-One 456 EVO so I need to free up some cash for the build..Read More »

Oldie but a goodie : '05 SuperMoto

Freshly back from a trip to TX and AZSF, now getting dirty in NE PA. She's not your lightweight cruiser, easily over 35#, but she brings it home every time and is a lot of fun on the trail, and ready for pretty much anything! Note the non-stock build with a 9.5x3 shock in the shorter travel p ... Read More »

Scwalbe supermoto 2.35 as a tyre for rigid SS?

Last summer I used supermoto on my geared hardtail and liked it on low pressures. I'm going to try these tyres on my rigid SS for XC riding and racing. The volume is great for rigid. They also roll extremely well. But I'm not sure about the grip, especially when climbing. Because it's clear that SS ... Read More »

Schwalbe SuperMoto for offroad riding

Has anybody got the expirience of using schwalbe supermoto or big apple in 2.35 size for offroad riding (mainly XC)? I'm interested in cornering and climbing grip on different surfaces. I used it last year and can tell you that traction is good (not loose and mud ofcourse). I could even climb s ... Read More »

SuperMoto value

I am planning on putting up for sale my Titus SuperMoto. It is from 2006, is size large, and its colour is copper for the front triangle and the rear is anodized black. A few years ago I replaced all the rear link pivot bearings. I had a custom machined ISCG05 flange professionally welded on and ... Read More »