Giro Semi Older Helmets

4.8/5 (10 Reviews)
Weight : 10 oz/284 g

This low-profile helmet was built for progressive riders who want extra coverage. The in-mold design gives it extra strength without sacrificing weight. 12 vents keep our nugget cool. Weight 12oz / 340g

Submitted by Adam a Weekend Warrior from Sandy, UT USA

Date Reviewed: February 16, 2004

Strengths:    Great Giro Fit, Super Stylie, Amazing coverage, Price, Good Padding system, It's a Giro

Weaknesses:    Stupid Sticker on back, ????????, Mine didn't come with a visor

Bottom Line:
Super Good coverage saved my skull at Sundance- Probably would've died. Great for stickers. Amazing all around use for freeriding, trailriding, Super good price, Do yourself a favor and ditch your roadie style helmet and get the Semi. Your Wallet and head will thank you. Giro is the King of Helmets.

Favorite Trail:   Little Cottonwood Quarry

Purchased At:   Sports Den

Similar Products Used:   Giro E2, Pryme

Bike Setup:   GT Avalanche with Judy 100's, DK Iron Cross Flats, Race face system, Turbine Cranks,

Submitted by Lance a Weekend Warrior from Fullerton, CA USA

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2003

Strengths:    Super Light, Well ventilated, nice visor, more protection than regular helmets.

Weaknesses:    Doesn't have 1,000 vents like regular MTB helmets?

Bottom Line:
Call me crazy but I never liked the regular mountain bike helmets. All the vents are nice but they always looked sort of dorky to me. I was actually about to give in since my 661 Mullet helmet was like wearing a sauna and I never really felt safe in it. Then I stumbled on the Semi. I have the one with the visor. Despite getting the black- the only color available, it is very cool and seems to ventilate a million times better than my 661.

Visor is very durable and does its job and I love the back of the head protection. Makes me want to jump off things(duh, dirt jumping helmet). It is extremely light and I can barely feel it after a while.

It does get hot but I think any helmet would in the SoCal 100 degree summer heat. As far as looks go, it looks as good as any open face helmet can. Dumb sticker on back but take it off if you don't like it.

I highly recommend this helmet for freeriding, urban assault, dirt jumping, and even cross country if you don't mind switchin the dufus helmet for this nice piece of work. Love it and its cheap! Go buy it!

Favorite Trail:   The Fullerton Loop

Purchased At:   jensonusa.com

Similar Products Used:   661 Mullet, Bell Rythm Pro full face, Skull.

Bike Setup:   2001 Kona Roast

Submitted by Aki a Weekend Warrior from Seattle, WA

Date Reviewed: August 1, 2003

Strengths:    Stylish, light, comfortable, easy to change padding (thick too!)

Weaknesses:    What's with the decal on the back LOL

Bottom Line:
Very light yet comfortable. The extra support on the back is so much nicer compared with other regular helmets. There are three paddings that are about 1/4" thick that supports the top, front & the back of your head comfortably. You get extra padding for front & back which is held securely via velcro if you decide to wash them or replace them.

The visor that comes with the helmet is secure by two plastic screws on the side & adjustable screw in the front so you can tilt the angle. Compared with Exdous' visor, it's more sturdy and don't have to worry about it coming down. The chin straps are comfortable as well & feels very secure.

I highly recommend this helmet for anyone!!! Especially if you're doing freeriding, trials, or any urban assaults, the style, the safety, and the quality is excellent!

Purchased At:   jensonusa.com

Similar Products Used:   Giro Exodus

Bike Setup:   Specialized Enduro Pro hardtail

Submitted by Kurt a Weekend Warrior from Northern IL

Date Reviewed: February 25, 2003

Strengths:    more protective coverage then xc lids . no weak retention system to irritate or break . very comfortable . straps fit well . can crossover to many other summer sports .

Weaknesses:    ventalation isnt quite what an e2 or other xc/mountain will provide , but that price is paid for more protection .

Bottom Line:
helmet is good head trauma is bad . one of the best fitting lids ive tried . the front lip sits low enough to catch most sweat from dribbling into my eyes , something my other helmets failed at . the 3/4 coverage eliminates the flimsy/break prone retention systems i hate from the 1/2 lid designs . provides more protection then xc/mountain helmets . design not limited to biking . if you want a little extra protection in a lightweight helmet that wont go flying off or disintigrate the first hit it takes this is your lid . me like ... give good rating .

Favorite Trail:   just about everyone in BC

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   bell x ray . specialized enduro .

Bike Setup:   giant warp w/ xt components

Submitted by Andrew Cohen a Weekend Warrior from richmond, va, usa

Date Reviewed: December 11, 2002

Strengths:    Great padding, lightweight, comfortable, nice looking

Bottom Line:
Great product and real good for extra protection and all around helmet

Favorite Trail:   Pocohontas Park

Purchased At:   Agee's Bicycles

Bike Setup:   Trek 6700, Wellgo DH Pedals,Fox Sierra Gloves

Submitted by Will Norton a Downhiller from Perth W.A. Australia

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2002

Strengths:    really light and stong,I have droped it heaps and dosen't break

Weaknesses:    only that i forget that it is on

Bottom Line:
It is the best hellmate I have ever had.If you are look for a light helmat that looks good and works good get this one.

Favorite Trail:   Mudaring DH trail

Purchased At:   got from Johnny Waddell

Similar Products Used:   Heaps of wierd ones

Bike Setup:   2002 Avanti D8, Boxxer forks, raceface dh cranks, dice rims, big bog seat and Kujo dh tyres

Submitted by Mithrandir a Weekend Warrior from The Grey Havens

Date Reviewed: March 26, 2002

Strengths:    Fits snug and secure and is comfy. Covers more of the head than a normal bike helmet especially in the back. Straps are easy to setup and it doesn't hurt to wear the chin strap tight. Great styling. Visor attaches with thumbscrews and doesn't feel flimsy.

Weaknesses:    Not as cool as a hyper-ventilated XC helmet, but better than a Pro-Tec or TSG. Only comes in black (Semi MX).

Bottom Line:
The Giro Semi MX scores high for fit and comfort and I always wear it whenever I bike or sk8. I sometimes didn't wear my crappy Pro-Tec when I skated, but now I don't have an excuse not to wear a helmet at all times. Since you can use the Semi for both bike and sk8, it saves you money by having one helmet for both. As a bonus, it doesn't make you look like a dork which is important if you have sk8r friends who get on your case for wearing a helmet.

Purchased At:   Private Seller

Similar Products Used:   Pro-Tec Ace, Giro Exodus

Submitted by Paul from Annapolis, MD, USA

Date Reviewed: February 6, 2002

Strengths:    Good fit. Cool shape.

Weaknesses:    Maybe a little slim on padding.

Bottom Line:
I found this helmet on clearance at the local REI and snatched it up. I was surprised it fit, as I couldn't cram my noggin into a similar Pro-Tec lid I received for Christmas. Later purchased a Bell Rhythm Pro which is serious, comfortable protection. Wanted a potty style for messing around while not intimidating the local joggers with my full-on full-face. The Giro fits the bill.

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   Pro-Tec

Bike Setup:   Kona Roast DS

Submitted by Rob a Weekend Warrior from Cheshire, England

Date Reviewed: November 17, 2001

Strengths:    they say its light in the adverts and it really is, I don't notice i'm wearing it, it really is like wearing your favorite hat. Ventilation is good on it but it also seem to keep my head warm in the cold english climate. Its super comfy and the fit is second to none and oh my god does it look super cool, it even has a place for your goggle strap. It also protects your head really well so we can't complain can we!

Weaknesses:    mine didn't come with a peak like the new semi-mx, it did look like a mushroom on my head at first but don't all helmets of this style. this isn't a helmet for xc boys either, it feels more at home at your local trails.

Bottom Line:
The most comfortable helmet thats got bags of style just like the one and only steve peat who uses it. A worthy buy which i'll never regret buying.

Favorite Trail:   Frodsham hills