Giro Mojave Older Helmets

• 2XS/XS, S/M, L/XL

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Genital Apparatus a Weekend Warrior from Toronto, Canada

Date Reviewed: December 13, 2003

Strengths:    Looks cool, feels comfortable, made by Giro, doesn't feel heavy, didn't cost very much either.

Weaknesses:    The visor doesn't do much. I took it off, but the helmet still has those ugly holes where the visor clips in.

Bottom Line:
    This is a great helmet. I didn't pay much for it, and I haven't had a single problem with it. I got rid of that cheesy visor thingy because it looks stupid and doesn't do very much. I wish I'd bought it in red though...

Favorite Trail:   Etobicoke Creek, Urban Trials

Purchased At:   SportChek

Similar Products Used:   None.

Bike Setup:   2002 Specialized Hardrock Pro, RaceFace handlebar and stem, Shimano drivetrain.

Submitted by Ed from Memphis

Date Reviewed: September 25, 2003

Strengths:    Light, well ventilated, adjustable and fits very well

Weaknesses:    small variety of colors

Bottom Line:
    This helmet is easy to adjust. The fit is very comfortable. I have had zero problems or complaints. The price is very reasonable. I like the roc loc adjustment system and will probably stick with Giro in the future.

Purchased At:   Sports Authority

Submitted by Don a Cross Country Rider from Ontario Canada

Date Reviewed: September 13, 2003

Strengths:    A comfortable helmet when properly fitted and set up. Durability. Price. Good cool weather helmet.

Weaknesses:    Hot in hot weather!! Not enough sweat absorbing padding.

Bottom Line:
    I've used this helmet for just over a year now and it has worked well for me in cool conditions. No visor problems as some others have reported. However I would not recommend this helmet for hot climates and especially not for hot and humid climates. The venting and design is just not capable of adequate cooling. Compounding this weakness is the forehead padding portion of this helmet tend to saturate with sweat which then pours down the front of your face. I even tried attaching some additional padding [supplied with helmet]. It alleviated the problem only slightly. I often find myself having to stop on extended rides in hot conditions and squeeze sweat out of the pads.

I'm giving the helmet 4 chilis for value because after hundreds of rides and thousands of miles it has performed without failure of any kind ie; padding all still attached, straps still fine and no visor problems. A good cool weather helmet at an affordable price.

I'm giving it 3 chilis as an overall rating because of its inabilty to cope with hot conditions. You should look at something else if you regularly ride in hot and/or hot and humid climates.

Favorite Trail:   Next one!

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher Tassajara upgraded. Sun Rhyno Lite rims, xt hubs laced with DT champion spokes, Avid sd 7 brakes, Raceface Turbine LP crank, WTB Speed V seat.

Submitted by eric k a Weekend Warrior from sparwood B.C. canada

Date Reviewed: May 12, 2003

Strengths:    good i have not fallin on my head yet so i do not no how it would impact the helmet.

Weaknesses:    one defect it has is the viser is not well put in i have to duct tape it to keep it in place

Bottom Line:
    it is a good helmet for a good price

Favorite Trail:   petes trail

Purchased At:   ski base in fernie bc

Bike Setup:   i have a old gt pro series bmx from the early 1980's

Submitted by Ryan R a Cross Country Rider from Long Island NY

Date Reviewed: March 27, 2003

Strengths:    Helmet is lite and Pretty strong for a foam helmet. Comfortable enogh for a long ride. Inexpensive for all of you on a budget. Seems Padded enough for comfort. Rock lock works very well and holds helmet in place when your gettin bounced around. Visor does not fall off when riding some of the guys I know have this problem with other helmet brand.

Weaknesses:    On hot days there is not much ventalation and not enough padding on brow to absorb sweat when your pouring. Addidtional padding does not stick worth a crap. Chin strap placement is alittle annoying is twists easy and sometimes it gets annoying on my cheek when long rides in the heat and I'm sweating.

Bottom Line:
    This is a good helmet, comfortable, Lite, stays in place. All the thing that make it a good helmwt for a minamalist like myself when I ride it's great does what it suppose to do if you like your helmet with other options look somewhere else. Ventalation sucks you sweat like a pig on hot days and with the absence of a good sweat band it my become a problem. I will look at other models but maybe not another brand. When you live in New York and the cops are gonna start givin out tickets for no helmet guess I'll wear mine. Normally I don't wear it on the road but if you go offroad without a helmet your F*!kin crazy.

Favorite Trail:   Any Single Track

Purchased At:   The Bicycle Planet

Similar Products Used:   ProTec Brain Bowl (nice but no ventalation what so ever)

Bike Setup:   Specilaized StumpJumper FSR XC Disc (Mostly Stock)

Submitted by OregonMTB a Cross Country Rider from US

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2003

Strengths:    Inexpensive

Weaknesses:    HOT, WARM, NOT Cool

Bottom Line:
    This helmet was my winter helmet. It was too warm to be used on long rides during the summer.

Similar Products Used:   Lousi Garneau

Submitted by tony a Cross Country Rider from Lafayette,La

Date Reviewed: March 19, 2003

Strengths:    Low cost, exlint fit, won't move around when hitting the ruff stuff. Visor works somewhat.

Weaknesses:    The pivot socket pulled out (located on the temple area under the pad), there are two one on each side of the helmet. They are part of the rock lock system, becareful not to put to much force here because once they pop out they won't stay put after you pop it back in. I went back and got a replacement. There is no guide lines on where to place the four pads.

Bottom Line:
    I wanted a helmet that didn't look like a Starwars spaceship on my head this one in grey looks ok. It does what its suppose to, stay on until (hopefully never) needed..They were onsale at the time which is always nice. The pads do come loose but I had the same problem with other brands just use your own glue when needed. Bottom line is; this one fits me well and i'm off to hit some trails..

Purchased At:   Performance

Bike Setup:   Stumpjumper FSR

Submitted by Harry a Cross Country Rider from Nashua, NH

Date Reviewed: February 22, 2003

Strengths:    Inexpensive Comfortable when New....

Weaknesses:    Does not Age well and not particularly well ventilated.

Bottom Line:
    Ok helmet probrably only really good for a season.

Favorite Trail:   Fireball

Purchased At:   Ebay

Bike Setup:   Idrive xt,avid,fox and Judy

Submitted by Richard a Cross Country Rider from Simi Valley, CA

Date Reviewed: February 18, 2003

Strengths:    I recently crashed this passed weekend and cracked my '02 Mojave in a U shape above my left temple. It knocked me out for a couple seconds and left me fuzzy for a couple of days, but it sure saved my butt.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
    This is a great hellmet at a great price, that just may save your life.

Favorite Trail:   Long Canyon

Purchased At:   Wheel World

Bike Setup:   Giant NRS with all the goodies

Submitted by crash a Cross Country Rider from aliso viejo

Date Reviewed: January 28, 2003

Strengths:    fit well

Weaknesses:    pads fell apart

Bottom Line:
    crashed, hit my head and knocked myself out. ended up in the emergency room with a concussion.

the helmet was cracked though above the right temple.

this helmet saved my life.

bought a Giro E2 to replace it.

Submitted by Jeff a Cross Country Rider from Novi, MI, USA

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2002

Strengths:    Good ventilation, fits really well and is nice and snug on my head.

Weaknesses:    Holds in sweat pretty well but then when I take the helmet off it all drips down my face, oh well.

Bottom Line:
    Great looking helmet and it fits well. Great for hardcore mtn. bikers.

Favorite Trail:   Maybury, Island Lake

Purchased At:   D&D Bicycles, Northville, MI (employee discount)

Bike Setup:   2003 Trek 8000 15.5" Blue, Stock except for Cateye Enduro 2.

Submitted by dinohuntr a Weekend Warrior from Utah

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2002

Strengths:    Looks good. I like the Roc Lock 3, or whatever it's called. The ventilation is better than on my old head bucket.

Weaknesses:    The visor sits too high. I guess it's only there for looks? The brow pad is too narrow. Sweat runs down the outer edge of my eyes. The pad on my old helmet was wider, and kept the sweat off my face.

Bottom Line:
    For ventilation and appearance, I like this lid better than the Bell Vertigo it replaced. However, The visor sits higher and the brow pad allows sweat to run down my face at the corners of my eyes. I like the fit, and the retention thing in the back is adjustable and comfortable.

Four flaming horse carcases!

Favorite Trail:   Porcupine Rim