Giro Incline RL Older Helmets

3.72/5 (25 Reviews)

Giro Incline RL

Submitted by WadeOmatic a Cross Country Rider from Mid TN

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2001

Strengths:    Looks Good

Weaknesses:    adhesives technology is bogus (nothing stays stuck)

Bottom Line:
This sucker has finally pooped. It is 5 years old, but I'm easy on equipment. The stick-on velcro tabs that position the visor never stuck to nothing. I've used black tape to hold the visor in place for two years. The brow pad, which was disentigrating fell out after a rainshower the other day. The Roc-Loc system blew out yesterday on a road ride. All the sticky stuff done give up! If another helmet starts these problems I will have to find an epoxy to mount the velcro tabs in.

I've only crashed it 2 or 3 times and only one of those did I hit hard enough to crack a helmet--but the GIRO didn't. Never seemed to be any airflow. Even after I buzzed my head.

3 piles for (sort of) lasting 5 years and saving my head a couple of times. I'm going to try a Bell next (TODAY)

Favorite Trail:   fast yet technical xc

Bike Setup:   Turner

Submitted by Marty a Cross Country Rider from Cleveland OH

Date Reviewed: March 7, 2001

Strengths:    cheap, fits good, nice visor

Weaknesses:    maybe a bit heavy, but what do you want for 30 bucks

Bottom Line:
My helmet is there to do one thing, save my head from brain damage. It saved my life. I hit a tree at 15-20mph off road with my head, during a slide. I walked away without even a concusion. Oh yeah and my arms and leg were still attached. I just bought Giro Havoc, I hope it never needs to pass that test. thanks Giro.

Favorite Trail:   buckeye

Purchased At:   Fairview Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Bell

Bike Setup:   Ibis Alibi, superfly, xtr, Magura HS33s

Submitted by Jeffrey a Weekend Warrior from TN

Date Reviewed: November 29, 2000

Strengths:    no problems yet

Weaknesses:    doesn't fit as well as others i've tried. was expensive when i bought it (on sale) but i didn't know better and was drunk on that new equipment smell in the bike shop ventilation system

Bottom Line:
good backup helmet in case i land on my head in the other one

Favorite Trail:   anything in Sedona, AZ

Purchased At:   local shop

Similar Products Used:   2000 specialized mountan man

Submitted by Guy a Cross Country Rider from Michigan

Date Reviewed: October 6, 2000

Strengths:    Inexpensive, fits my thin head well, looks nice.

Weaknesses:    HOT, a little heavy.

Bottom Line:
Well I bought the Incline during the summer and could not believe how poor the airflow was, even at night it was just too hot. Now that it's cooler, however, this has become my helmet of choice. With only 13 small vents, it's definately not recommended in hot or even warm weather.

I've had no problems with the straps or pads so far, they've held up pretty well under almost daily riding. Nothing fancy, of course, but they get the job done.

Overall, not a bad visored helmet for the price, but look elsewhere if you need more (any?) airflow.

Favorite Trail:   dark

Similar Products Used:   Bell Esprit, Forza
Giro Mojave

Bike Setup:   Helmet on rider, rider on bike.

Submitted by Brian a Weekend Warrior from Tucson, AZ, USA

Date Reviewed: September 13, 2000

Strengths:    Inexpensive; nice visor; that replacement deal

Weaknesses:    Could use some more vents, 13 (small ones at that). The lack of vents doesnt let air flow through the helmet, plus I have a fro so that doesn't help either.

Bottom Line:
A good helmet for a rider not that doesnt demand much airflow. Inexpensive and does the job.

Bike Setup:   99' VRX 300, stock except HS-33 hydro brakes.

Submitted by Ronen a Weekend Warrior from Sydney, NSW, Australia

Date Reviewed: September 5, 2000

Strengths:    Good Looking, not too heavy, not too light...just right.
Strong, well fitting.....for me :)

Weaknesses:    Gets a little hot up there. After a long ride, if u take it off for 2 minutes then put it back on....expect sweat to pur down youre face....but i guess thats with every helmet. Increadibly hard to adjust straps to be even on each side.

Bottom Line:
Good helmet, cheap, comes with that Giro warrante that i cant think of off the top of my head... Looks good too, And comes with a grooovy visor.

Favorite Trail:   Bayside Annihilator

Purchased At:   Albion Street Cycles :)

Similar Products Used:   Netti Stealth

Bike Setup:   Mongoose Newman Pro NX 7.3 98'

Submitted by ash a Weekend Warrior from woodstock, IL

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2000

Strengths:    Great looks, styling, comes with a visor for a good price, good color selection, replacement policy.

Weaknesses:    A little on the heavier side and may be slightly hot inspite of all the vents.

Bottom Line:
I went to the local bike shops looking for a bell forza after hearing good reviews about the forza. I have to say that forza's good, but it would not look good on my head. The owner told me that he had some clearance helmets and I found an Incline lying in them, the price was 30 dollars after the rebate. I have heard people say that Giros fit a little funny, well it fits me better that most helmets I have tried. I got a 97 model and so its a very old model. I think Giro is one of the finest helmet for people with rounder heads.

Favorite Trail:   local

Similar Products Used:   none so far.

Bike Setup:   Giant Rincon SE.

Submitted by Frank a Weekend Warrior from SF, CA

Date Reviewed: May 22, 2000

Strengths:    Looks pretty cool, fits and works well.

Bottom Line:
I am giving this helmet 5 chili's 'cause I'm able to write this review w/o brain damage. I just went endo after hitting a pothole on a steep SF street at 20+ MPH. A sprained wrist and some scrapes was the only damage done. I didnt realize I had hit my head until an onlooker said "that helmet saved your ass" - I took off the helmet and noticed some scrapes and a small crack. That would've been my head if it wasn't for the helmet. Plus, the helmet is (was) comfortable and looks (looked) good. Thanks Giro.

Submitted by Mark Gates a Cross-Country Rider from Powell, TN

Date Reviewed: July 28, 1999

Strengths:
Looks pretty spiffy, fits my fat head

Weaknesses:
none so far

Bottom Line:
Not too bad a helmet; one of the few made that will fit my big fat head. I can't tell you any weaknesses since I haven't run into any trees or anything, but it'll happen soon, knowing my luck. Good value and comfortable; but it could use a few more vents.

Virginia Creeper

2 Years

Trek 6500

Submitted by Jon David Forrester a Cross-Country Rider from Duluth, GA

Date Reviewed: May 13, 1999

Strengths:
inexpensive

Weaknesses:
Poor fit (for me), hard to adjust, straps stretched.

Bottom Line:
I was disappointed in the Incline. The fit was not good (this may have been may fault) and the straps seemed to stretch after use. The Qrank Ice Cube I am now using is much superior.

rage in the sage

2 Years

Qrank Ice Cube

Submitted by Kenneth Kemp a Cross-Country Rider from Carlsbad, NM

Date Reviewed: May 7, 1999

Strengths:
It works!
Good looks
Replacement program

Weaknesses:
None.

Bottom Line:
I can highly recommend this helmet. I operate on a budget and originally bought the helmet because of its price and it looked good. I had the helmet for a couple months before I went over the handlebars (rookie!) and landed head first on a small boulder. I wasn't hurt other than some cuts on my ear. The core of the helmet was slightly cracked and Giro replaced it with a voucher for half the list price. Needless to say, I was very pleased.

local trail (no name)

3 months

Giro Venture

Submitted by Matt a Weekend Warrior from Byron Center, MI

Date Reviewed: May 2, 1999

Strengths:
Looks cool for its modest price

Weaknesses:
Lack of ventalation

Bottom Line:
The incline suits my needs just fine, but a little more ventalation wouldn't hurt.

Yankee Springs

1 Year

Submitted by Sean a cross-country rider from CA

Date Reviewed: February 22, 1999

Bottom Line:

I've had this helmet for about year and a half. It's got plenty of vents and keeps me cool. It's also fairly light. Nice color scheme, mine's blue, and good price.

Submitted by abba a weekend warrior from United States of Lewinsky

Date Reviewed: October 28, 1998

Bottom Line:

Had this lid for a little while 'till my wife drove over it. Fortunately it
was not on my head at the time. Overall, it was a decent helmet. It fit me like a condom and appeared to offer excellent crash protection. However, it was a bit heavy and VERY hot. It cost less than $50 and looked OK. Depending on your needs it could be a great choice. I (actually my wife) replaced it with something with better ventilation.

Submitted by ken a cross-country rider from canada

Date Reviewed: September 30, 1998

Bottom Line:

this helmet is the best one i've ever owned!!! !!! !!! !!! the ventilation is great the fit is excellent and it looks cool. the only problem with mine was that the velcro holding the roc loc headband came off so i bought some stick on velcro and now it is great!!! !!! !!! !!!