Giro Helios Older Helmets

4.54/5 (24 Reviews)

Giro Helios

Submitted by Stan Hung a Weekend Warrior from Metairie La

Date Reviewed: September 9, 2002

Strengths:    Comfi, airly

Weaknesses:    weight

Bottom Line:
It feel little bit heavier on the back than the front, otherwise it is a comfortable and good looking Helmet.

Favorite Trail:   Still looking

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Bell

Submitted by ScottD from Brooklyn

Date Reviewed: May 26, 2001

Strengths:    it fits
it works

Bottom Line:
Sure, this helmet is no longer in production and you will be lucky to find one. I used mine for over 3 years through a lot of long, sweaty miles. Fit my head perfectly any never slid to an awkward or uncomfortable position. Rocklok worked great for me. Forgot the helmet was even there.

Can't use it any longer because I took it head-first into an oncoming SUV. The front of the helmet flattened and cracked just as it was designed to do... and I am still here to write this review.

5 chilis is not nearly enough. Thanks Giro.

Similar Products Used:   Bell

Bike Setup:   road bike

Submitted by Zach S a Cross Country Rider from Seattle,WA

Date Reviewed: February 21, 2001

Strengths:    Great product well ventilated and nice fitting overall. It is the perfect fit for my huge noggen.

Weaknesses:    none I can find yet

Bottom Line:
This is a great helmut for the price. It fits really well and looks great. The true test is in performance. I had a nasty wreck last week where I went off a 6 foot drop fast and endoed with my head hitting a rock first taking all the force. I was ok except for a small concusion, some abrasions on my face and back, but the helmut cracked in two. The helmut did its job wonderfully and I hope I can still buy another one if they still make them. I am sad I have to retire mine.....it did its job well as it saved my arse.

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   A lot

Bike Setup:   Fisher Sugar 2

Submitted by Paul B. a Weekend Warrior from Los Angeles, CA

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2001

Strengths:    well vented - in cold weather I wear a skull cap thing from Performance bike.

Weaknesses:    none - needs care to adjust straps

Bottom Line:
I wrote a review (Wine country) a few months ago and since then had another crash - went over the top and head hit the cement on the Santa Monica bike path.
After careful inspection the helmet is undamaged completely. I injured my hand but this helmet saved my life with no structural or cosmetic damage.

Purchased At:   Performance

Bike Setup:   road bikes

Submitted by Bernie Scott from San Jose, CA

Date Reviewed: November 1, 2000

Strengths:    High quality construction. Super design. Light, easy to fit, good looking. Very comfortable. Great quick release.

Weaknesses:    None. But price is a bit high.

Bottom Line:
I can't recommend this helmet enough. I am very pleased with it. I don't even know it is on. I should probably go buy another one in case they stop making it!

Please do wear a helmet of some type. A few years ago I did not wear a helmet. Then I was hit by another rider who was not paying attention. I was only going about 20 mph but ended up going over the handlebars and landing on my head. The end result was a concussion, stitches and a trip to the emergency room. Even then I was very lucky.

Purchased At:   Performance Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Bell, Specialized, etc.

Bike Setup:   older Trek 2200 w/Carbon tubes and Campy groupo

Submitted by Paul from Sonoma County, California

Date Reviewed: October 22, 2000

Strengths:    ventilation
light
comfortable - I forget I'm wearing it.
very well vented (again)
Saved my life twice.

Weaknesses:    none - if you adjust the straps right.

Bottom Line:
This is the best helmet I've tried - I bought it when my head hit a post and the previous helmet was smashed. (My worst accidents have happened on the Santa Monica bike path with pedestrians doing stupid things).

Like any helmet you have to fiddle with the straps, including the adjustable yokes under the ears, to get a good fit. Also, I added foam inside at places to make the fit snug - you have to do that with any helmet. It's fiddly but you only have to do it once.

I recently went over the top again (Santa Monica bike bath) and my head hit the cement, before I smashed 2 fingers - no head damage, and no damage to helmet.

The best part of this helmet (apart that it has saved my life) is the ventilation - it gets hot in California - I only have to lower my head while I'm on the drops and I can feel the air across my head. It's a cool helmet. In winter I have a cap I wear underneath to keep the cold air out.

Favorite Trail:   Wine Country roads

Similar Products Used:   something by Specialized

Bike Setup:   Kestrel road bike

Submitted by Jay Palmer a Cross Country Rider from Peekskill

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2000

Strengths:    Great fit. I look really good with it. Lots of vents. Stays secure on my head.

Weaknesses:    straps hard to adjust.

Bottom Line:
This helmet kicks ass. The rocloc strap keeps the helmet from movng around even while being beeten with a tire pump. Also if you hold onto the back of the helmet you're hand fits perfectly for smacking angry dogs away. You can really appreciate the engineering that went along with this fine piece.

Favorite Trail:   urban chaos/anything messy

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Mountain Man

Bike Setup:   GT Rebound

Submitted by Matthew a Cross-Country Rider from Markham

Date Reviewed: December 26, 1999

Strengths:
Great fit
super ventilation
Pro euro looks

Weaknesses:

Bottom Line:
This is simply the best helmet I have ever owned. Fit is an individual thing, but make sure you give this one a go especially now that prices have come way down. I bought it when it first came out and paid large $219.00 CDN - still worth it. Looking forward to trying the E2 and using the Helios for road only. Be aware that the Borealis fits bigger - not the same as Helios shape.

Durham

Manitou SXe shock
Body geometry saddle
Team Master tires
icon bar ends

Submitted by John Godden a Cross-Country Rider from Granada Hills Ca.

Date Reviewed: July 30, 1999

Strengths:
well designed

Weaknesses:
BIGGGG and clumsy

Bottom Line:
All current bike helmets are too big and heavy! Damned lawyers!!! Doesn't anyone make a helmet that doesn't feel like a 5 lb watermellon on the head. How about the old sausage helmets.... I saw one on a Tour rider recently. Damn I'd like to find that!

2 Years

Submitted by paul l lowe a Weekend Warrior from panama,canal zone

Date Reviewed: July 13, 1999

Strengths:
good fit and finish,perhaps cooler than my Bell evo2

Weaknesses:
straps are too wide, bother my ears ,can't seem to adjust for clearance

Bottom Line:
if straps were narrow like Bell it would be the best helmet I've owned--as is it only ties with the evo2

coco plantation

6 months

Bell evo2

Submitted by bin a Weekend Warrior from nyc

Date Reviewed: April 4, 1999

Bottom Line:
The design is a bit too long and narrow. If you find your head snug sideways, you will most likely have some space at the back. It seems to be designed for poeple with an aerodynamic head shape. It is especially a problem if you are non-Causasion. I have to sqeeze my head in while having quite some space at the back of my head. The bell Forza size M I wear fits me perfectly.Giro: violator of equal pretection o f the 14th Amendment of the Constitution! 2 chilis

3 months

Submitted by Noah a cross-country rider from Boulder

Date Reviewed: March 8, 1999

Bottom Line:

Great, well ventilated, and saved me from a trip to the hospital today. When its chilly out, this helmet is almost too well designed, it makes my head cold. I slammed it into the pavement today pretty hard, it cracked, but I'm not seeing double or anything, so it was well worth it.

Submitted by Rob a racer from USA

Date Reviewed: January 10, 1999

Bottom Line:

I can attest to this helmet's crashworthiness. One header into a steel lamp post at 20+, no serious injury to me, small scratches on helmet. Another header into an embankment in NC, noggin and helmet are still fine (gotta stop crashing on my head though!). One product worth the cash.

Submitted by Roy Dequina a cross-country rider from Northridge, CA

Date Reviewed: January 9, 1999

Bottom Line:

Great helmet...a little pricey but well worth every penny. Even though it's a Roadie Helmet, it's cool enough to wear on the dirt without you looking like a road winnie. I haven't crashed hard enough to test the durablility or integrity, but if i do i'll let you know. Ride Safe

Submitted by maTT a racer from Minnesota

Date Reviewed: October 31, 1998

Bottom Line:

This helmet is thhe one that fits my head the best. It doesn't flop around, and stays put on those rip-roaring downhills. It is light, and very cool, much more so than the exodus.

Helios bars: genius or gimmick?

The [URL="http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/kennygibbs/helios-bars-transform-any-bike-into-a-smart-bike"]Helios bars Kickstarter[/URL] seems popular with gadgetry websites, but while they look nice on a polished fixie, I'm not sure how practical or durable they can end up being, let alone safe to ... Read More »

Helios CC size?

I see it is a longer bike per size for 2008. I am 6' 1"...longish legs. My current bike is a specialized Epic in Large. I heard that with the new geo Helios CC one should go down a size. Also not sure if the 'toptube' length on the Nicolai site is 'horizontal' or actual? Even if it is ce ... Read More »

helios frame weights

Grüße nicolai Geliebte :thumbsup: on the nicolai site weigts for the helius st frame are listed as 4.8kg/10.56lb and for the helius fr 3.9kg/8.6lb. can anyone tell me if these figures are with or without shock and if its air or coil?Read More »