Giro Gila Older Helmets

• 2XS/XS, S/M, L/XL

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Doc a Weekend Warrior from Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Date Reviewed: February 4, 2009

Strengths:    Great fit and comfort.

Weaknesses:    I was swabbing out the interior and the RocLoc assembly broke on both sides rendering the helmet useless. I'm having trouble finding replacement parts for my 2000 model.

Bottom Line:
    best helmet I've owned. Need to replace the RocLoc assembly or find a new favorite.

Favorite Trail:   Marshal Canyon

Purchased At:   Sportmart

Similar Products Used:   Bell

Bike Setup:   TREK: I break parts so often I don't remember what's on it now. A true mutt!

Submitted by ho mo a Cross Country Rider from greensboro

Date Reviewed: October 22, 2003

Strengths:    Customer service, fit quality, weight, value

Weaknesses:    colors...but thatsa-personal thing right...? Really a great lid for the price, maybe best one ever value-wise.

Bottom Line:
    Helmets are a personal thing...what fits you doesnt fit me but what is as or more important is the company behind the product. These crazy Giro people sent me a new visor for my helmet after I got one used on without the visor.....now is that not awesome...for free direct from I-ta-ly....I will certainly always stick with giro from now on...some companies are worth allegencies ya know? Oh, and the helmet is a great fit and lite-ish for da dough.

Favorite Trail:   choo choo stripe

Purchased At:   ebaynator

Similar Products Used:   special ed, bell, troxel

Bike Setup:   like I want it...SS with afterburners

Submitted by Dirk a Cross Country Rider from Mishawaka, IN, US

Date Reviewed: October 13, 2003

Strengths:    Looks, namebrand, shell and cover has held up well

Weaknesses:    Fit is horrible (for me anyway), velcro for Rocklock came off on both sides, pads came off

Bottom Line:
    This is for a 2000 model with Rocklock 2 (I believe).

For the price, this should have fit better. Shame on me for not trying on other helmets. Shame on my LBS for carrying such a limited selection.

Padding and rear strapping is held on pretty weak. Maybe I sweat too much.

Try the helmet on and make sure it fits well. The new Rocklock system maybe held on better. If so, I would buy.

Similar Products Used:   Giro

Bike Setup:   Ellsworth Truth - decked to tbe max

Submitted by Phil a Weekend Warrior from Fargo, ND

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2003

Strengths:    Looks, fit, comfort.

Weaknesses:    Poor ventilation, cumbersome strap adjustment.

Bottom Line:
    I replaced my cheap Schwinn helmet with this Giro supposedly worth $70 retail. I bought the white one. While I love the fit, looks, and comfort of the Gila, the ventilation stinks for a helmet in that price range. It is a very warm helmet, and the pads are placed so sweat drips into my eyes. So while it is overall proabably a better helmet than my old Schwinn, it is just too hot to wear on warm days. In fact, it has proven to be warm on 65 degree days. My head roasts while the rest of me is chilly! I think it's not so much the amount or size of vents as it is the poor placement of them. Inexcusable for a $70 lid, luckily I got mine on closeout for much less. For a recreational rider it should be fine. But if you ride hard, look elsewhere.

Favorite Trail:   Maah-Daah-Hey

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Submitted by jim a Cross Country Rider from ont

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2003

Strengths:    molded plastic,light, comfortable, cheapprevents getting hurt

Weaknesses:    i could of got a larger one

Bottom Line:
    just a super and afortable lid

Purchased At:   bike show

Submitted by Isaac Smith a Cross Country Rider from Marquette, MI, USA

Date Reviewed: June 4, 2003

Strengths:    looks good, cool, light, comfy, easy to get it to fit

Weaknesses:    straps twist a little and the velcro things come undone sometimes

Bottom Line:
    only a few problems, still worth it.

Favorite Trail:   still lookin

Purchased At:   pricepoint

Bike Setup:   kona blast, raceface good n evil grips

Submitted by Yo from North CA

Date Reviewed: January 12, 2003

Strengths:    Good fit, the RockLock thing get's it snug without feeling restricting.

Weaknesses:    Stupid graphics

Bottom Line:
    Best helmet I've had so far, but i've only owned two in 13 years. If i buy another some day, it will be because I crashed and broke it.

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   old Bell

Submitted by Juan a Weekend Warrior from Anaheim, CA USA

Date Reviewed: January 5, 2003

Strengths:    Looks, ventilation, adjustability, fit, price.

Weaknesses:    The velcro straps, on the '02 model the rocloc uses velcro, this was fixed on the '03 model.

Bottom Line:
    The helmet is great for anyone who wants a cool helmet and yet doesn't want to pay an arm an a leg for it. The only draw back of the '02 model is that the rocloc system use velcro for retention, and the glue on the velcro come off the helmet, this becomes an even bigger problem in the summer, but I found that a little supper glue fixed my problem. The '03 model uses a push button style of retention, I haven't tryied it yet but we'll see in the future. Anyways other than that it is a great helmet.

I like the way it looks with the graphics, and I also like the inmold shell, I will never buy a taped on shell ever again. Also the rocloc system works great on pony tails. My finace has the same helmet and she loves the fact that her pony tail can be put trough the rocloc.

Favorite Trail:   Fullerton Loop

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Bell stuff.

Bike Setup:   Mongoose Pro Sommet '02 XT Drivetrain

Submitted by Andrew a Weekend Warrior from UVA

Date Reviewed: October 15, 2002

Strengths:    Great ventilation. Protects your head if you fall (haven't fallen on my head, yet). Non-obtrusive when riding.

Weaknesses:    Sometimes is too cool in how it directs air against cetain parts of my head.

Bottom Line:
    Great helmet. I don't really have a basis for comparison, but so far I love it.

Favorite Trail:   Walnut Creek

Similar Products Used:   Just my hair - doesn't work os well.

Bike Setup:   Kona Caldera, wellgo pedals, Bontrager Race FS+10 saddle, Kore chain reactor, Oury grips, Cane Creek ergo control barends, Cateye enduro 2 comp

Submitted by Peter from Brussels, Belgium

Date Reviewed: October 4, 2002

Strengths:    A good looking, well ventilated helmet for relatively little cash.

Weaknesses:    The visor can get twisted out of shape and looks a little cheap. A bit more strap adjustability would help.

Bottom Line:
    Two days ago this helmet saved my life. The side of my head hit the road too hard to keep brains in my skull and though the helmet has gone to the big MTB graveyard in the sky with a huge crack, I didn't follow.

As the car driver who mowed me down paid for a new helmet I upgraded to an Exedus, but if it was my own money, I would have bought the same.

Bike Setup:   Trek 4500 very much customised for urban riding.

Submitted by Bill a Cross Country Rider from Hoboken

Date Reviewed: September 17, 2002

Strengths:    Looks good

Weaknesses:    weal glue on the roc-loc straps

Bottom Line:
    The glue on the Roc-Lock straps is junk. My buddy is haviung the same problem.

If you ride alot and sweat a good amount the glue will unstick in no-time, mine lasted about 2 weeks.

After a number of unsuccessful attempts to re-glue the velcro pads my self, I am going to try to find a new lid.

Similar Products Used:   bell image pro

Bike Setup:   Yeti ASR, Rock shox Psylo race

Submitted by Chris Westall a Weekend Warrior from Asheboro, NC

Date Reviewed: September 14, 2002

Strengths:    Great look, excellent fit and sufficient ventilation. Removable pads make for easy cleaning after each ride

Weaknesses:    The fabric on the removable pads comes apart rather easy

Bottom Line:
    I haven't gone down yet hard enough to wear my melon has taken a blow, but I feel more than confident that this helmet will do it's job when that moment comes (and it will). Everything else I mentioned above makes this a great buy.

Favorite Trail:   at my house

Purchased At:   SouthPark Cycles

Similar Products Used:   first bike helmet

Bike Setup:   '02 Kona Cinder Cone (stock)

Submitted by Rob Leibold a Cross Country Rider from Toronto, Ontario

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2002

Strengths:    Nice and light, looks cool, Roc Loc system, fits like a dream, sweat pads are nice too

Weaknesses:    a bit hot (but my own fault for buying a black helmet!)

Bottom Line:
    Great helmet! I got mine off ebay from eDiscountBike.com for $20.00!!!! I have had trouble with helmets fitting on my head (cause I have an abnormally small head) but this helmet fit right out of the box with no adjustments!!! A word of wisdom though, don't buy black helmets! They may look cool but they get way to hot in the sun!

Purchased At:   eDiscountbikes.com

Similar Products Used:   Bell

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher Kaitai

Submitted by David a Cross Country Rider from Ringwood, NJ

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2002

Strengths:    Looks, Price, Protection , Roc Loc

Bottom Line:
    I had this helmet for just about a year. Besides being one of the better looking helmets, it feels very comfortable. The RocLoc feature keeps the helmet snug. And its very cool with lots of air flow.

I had an incident that wasn’t directly related to product defect where I had to send the helmet in for repair. Not only did they send me out a new helmet, it was delivered to me within a week of sending it out. That is customer service that you don’t get much anymore. If I could give it more then five flames, I would.

The only choice should be which color!

Bike Setup:   Intense Tracer, Sid 100, XT/XTR mix, XT Disc...

Submitted by Inga a Weekend Warrior from Missouri

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2002

Strengths:    Looks, fit and PRICE

Weaknesses:    Straps want to twist

Bottom Line:
    This is a great helmet particularly for the price. The helmet has plenty of vents to keep your head cool and the coolmax pads don't get too hot and are extremely comfortable. The helmet looks fantastic and it's only about 1 oz. heavier than Giro's best models, not much of a noticeable difference for most of us.

There may be better helmets out there but none come close without spending at least three or four times what I paid on Pricepoint.com. This helmet is a best buy for everyone.

Purchased At:   Pricepoint.com