Giro Exodus Older Helmets

• 21 Vents
  • Coolmax Pads
  • 2XS/XS, S/M, L/XL

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Francis Aldrin Tejano a Weekend Warrior from Philippines (Tagum City)

Date Reviewed: August 30, 2004

Strengths:    very nice & fits well. molded on backside and the materials they used is great. THUMBS UP...

Weaknesses:    I think none co'z it's an awesome stuff.

Bottom Line:
    Giro Helmets are great and looks well especially nowadays they produced very very nice and good looking/awesome helmets. THANKS TO GIRO.

Favorite Trail:   Single Tracks/Technical

Purchased At:   I forgot,, it was a gift for us w. my bro.

Similar Products Used:   None except for my Giro 99 Torrero.

Bike Setup:   GT Avalanche 1.0 w. RS Judy Race,LX 2001 groupset,Larsen TT tires 1.9 and Mavic221./ KHS Alite 500 15size w.RS Jett XC,Truvative Stylo crnks,LX & Deore components,221rims w.especialized SL Team Master, Turbolite stem & handlebar.

Submitted by Ben a Cross Country Rider from Coudersport, PA, U.S.

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2004

Strengths:    Looks sweet, Fits perfectly, and easy to adjust!

Weaknesses:    Visor is stylish, but not that great. It can slide around on the helmet and if you take a nastly fall head first, it could easily smash into your face.

Bottom Line:
    Awesome helmet. Will fit anyone, and is so easy adjust.

Purchased At:   Pricepoint.com

Similar Products Used:   Specialized helmets

Submitted by Christina a Weekend Warrior from Bechtelsville, PA

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2003

Strengths:    Comfortable, looks great,great quality, price was right. Fits like a glove!!

Weaknesses:    It can be uncomfortable if its not adjusted properly or not quite broken in. But that can be the same with any helmet I suppose.

Bottom Line:
    If you have a smaller sized head under like 22' definately look into this helmet, its worth every penny. Protect that noggin with something you know is gonna stand up to the bashing you might recieve.

Purchased At:   Performance Bike

Similar Products Used:   Stupid wal-mart helmet of some sort, tried my boyfriends helmets, I have fourwheeler helmets from bell that are heavy and hot because they are not wel vented when its warmer outside.

Bike Setup:   Right now I just have a basic Trek 4300- team colors. I changed the pedals from those stupid stock ones to wellgos and they seem to work great. Im on a budget so im upgrading slowly, I just wanted something to get around with in an attemp to keep up my with my boyfriend :) Never said i wanted anything fancy!

Submitted by Randy a Weekend Warrior from Grand Forks, ND USA

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2003

Strengths:    Relatively lightweight
    Affordable
    Giro quality
    Adjustability
    Hardened finish
    Looks
    Visor adjustment range

Weaknesses:    Flimsy visor
    Hardened finish

Bottom Line:
    I bought this online as a replacement for my aging Giro Supermoto. Attractive features on the Exodus were price, color (orange), and Giro durability. I know it had good venting but a hot head has never been a problem for me.

I am very happy with several features:
    - Visor adjustability - I never really messed with adjusting my visor much but have been pleased with the range of adjustability on the Exodus, especailly compared to the velcro attachment of the Supermoto.
    - RocLoc system - I use this helmet year round and in the spring I can wear a thin skullcap in the morning commute and not need it in the afternoon. The Rocloc works great to accomodate the extra thickness.
    - Shell construction - I am both pleased and nervous with the "hard" shell casing. It wipes clean easily, feels more secure, and looks great, but I'm always nervous that the shell will crack upon a small impact (rather than maybe just denting a little like the "softer" hardshell of the Supermoto).

Bottom line: I feel like I have a "real" helmet when I wear it. Fit is great for my smallish head and the helemet is really comfortable for short or really long rides. I thend to forget it's there a lot, so I guess that's the real testimony, huh?

Purchased At:   pricepoint.com

Similar Products Used:   Giro Supermoto

Bike Setup:   Custom steel XC hardtail
    RM Slayer in freeride mode

Submitted by pedro ivan a Racer from morelia ,mich,mexico

Date Reviewed: April 29, 2003

Strengths:    it seems very Pro on me and the colors are very cool i think that i couldn´t buy other better design than this

Weaknesses:    the glue of the rocloc is poor, is a little heavy and in some ocations come to my face.

Bottom Line:
    I used this helmet for about 3 years and look pretty cool and painted looks awesome, the only issue is that the lateral pad is very poor glued and it moves and in several times i lost the control of the bike due this.
    but when all work fine , the Rocloc really works.
    i can´t find another cool helmet.

Purchased At:   wheelworld

Similar Products Used:   Bell

Bike Setup:   alubike frame
    XT kit
    Judy SL fork
    mavic 517 rim
    michelin widgripper sprint s tires

Submitted by Julian Beckett a Weekend Warrior from Oxford UK

Date Reviewed: January 29, 2003

Strengths:    Protective
    Nice fit for cranius largus such as meself!
    Pretty colours (say aaaaahhhh!)

Weaknesses:    Poor manufacture in some areas
    Looks like a great big puddin' on me bonce!!!

Bottom Line:
    I coveted this lid from afar many moons ago - one of those items you're drawn to on every visit to the shop! There was no way I was paying £80 for a bit of foam and plastic, however nicely it fitted. Waited and waited until it lay festering in a dusty corner, overshadowed by the latest crop of lids in ever nastier colours.

Healthy discount secured. She mine. Job done!

I've found it lightweight, non-sweaty and nice to look at. Go buy one!

Another happy shopper!!!

Strengths:    - ventilation
    - fit
    - protection
    - looks

Weaknesses:    Price

Bottom Line:
    This is a great helmet. I use it for 4 years now. I´ve been riding many miles of real bike trails in that time. Changed almost my whole equipment in these 4 years, but the helmet is still the same. I had some minor crashes (bout one or two per year), however, the helmet did not develop any cracks and looks still quite ok. Sometimes I think that I should buy a new one, but then again I ask myself why should I do so as it still does at it is supposed to do and the design is - at least to my opinion - still up to date. Hmm, maybe I will look for a new one this winter...

The only gripe: I think Giro helmets are somehow a bit overpriced compared to the competition (at least regular retail prices!). I cannot believe that Giro´s production processes are so much more costly than those of the competition. Do they shape their helmets by hand or what ? So, only 4 chillies in terms of value !

Favorite Trail:   Kandel, Belchen, Feldberg !

Similar Products Used:   Bell, Lazer

Bike Setup:   GT Zaskar LE Team

Submitted by Gerald S a Downhiller from Surrey

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2002

Strengths:    Build, vents, Rocloc, Coolmax pads

Weaknesses:    Suspect Rocloc

Bottom Line:
    After writing my previous negative review I am pleased to say that Madison (The UK Giro importer / distributer) Customer services came up trumps. They sent me a replacement improved Rocloc free of charge by return (with about 50 velco pads ?????) and promised to resolve any future problems should they occurr. At last a company who takes customer services seriously!

Chilli level VERY HIGH!!!!

Purchased At:   Halfords

Similar Products Used:   Bell Image 2 and 3

Bike Setup:   Trek

Submitted by akmaniac a Cross Country Rider from washington, dc

Date Reviewed: August 1, 2002

Strengths:    very comfy and looks good. the straps on the back hold the helmet on your head very well...the visor is a metal feeling thing that looks cool too

Weaknesses:    none!...it does look a littel big on the head...much bigger than other helmets for some reason.

Bottom Line:
    the orange helmet was on sale on pricepoint.com for cheeeeaaap!!! get this helmet. it is super comfy and looks really good. the only complaint is the size which is big on my pea sized head. but i think it looks big on anyone's head since my buddy owns one also. but other than that it is the s#$t...can't even tell it's on your head when riding!

Purchased At:   pricepoint.com

Similar Products Used:   GT helmet

Bike Setup:   cannondale

Submitted by gerald s a Downhiller from UK

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2002

Strengths:    Excellent airvents, fit, coolmax pads, visor, Roc-Loc

Weaknesses:    Fixing of straps to Roc-loc

Bottom Line:
    When I bought this helmet I thought is was the best helmet ever, and to a certain extent I still do. Last week the bonded strap came undone for no reason. I contacted the retailer who were unsure what to do. I contacted the UK distributor who sent me back to the retailer. The retailer eventually agreed to send it back to the distributor. Over a week later the distributer still have not heard anythging and said they don't want to talk to me as they don't deal with customers. When asked what they would do about it they said they'd either replace or repair. I said I was unsure about having an E2 as a replacement as I'd read bad reports on the internet - to which they said that I shouldn't believe everything I read on the Net. I replied I'd bought the Exodus as a result of the excellent reports on the net.

Reading about the E2 it seems that GIRO may have had it's day - both GIRO and their UK distributor SUCKS in my opnion. If only I could find someone who stocked a decent Bell helmet.

Purchased At:   halfords

Similar Products Used:   Bell Image

Bike Setup:   Trek 920, Marin Bear Valley

Submitted by Mike a Cross Country Rider from Fair Oaks, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: April 21, 2002

Strengths:    Saved my dome twice so far. Too bad I can't find any more.

Weaknesses:    Visor broke off of both helmets I had. Plastic shell of helmet holds superglue very well though so no problem

Bottom Line:
    This saved my life twice so far. Once head first into a concrete wall and the other a twenty foot swan dive into a dirt mound.

Can't put a value rating on your own life, can you?

Favorite Trail:   all of them

Purchased At:   Bobs Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Giro Helmets only. Stick with the best

Bike Setup:   XTR derailers, Rapid Fire shifters, Bomber Air front forks, Titanium 9spd rear cassete, White Industries Hubs, Race Face Bars, Schwinn Aluminum Frame, Egg Beaters, Serfas Grips, Kore Elite titanium seat post and neck and skewers

Submitted by Greg a Weekend Warrior from NE Ohio

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2002

Strengths:    Construction, lightweight, venting (cool), fit & color

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
    The fit system on this helment is excellent. Stays tight the entire ride. Had a couple of crashes and so far so good. Construction is very good. If you can get one of these at blowout price jump on it.

Purchased At:   Phat Tire