Giro Boreas Older Helmets

4.68/5 (44 Reviews)

Giro Boreas

Submitted by Brian from Norcal

Date Reviewed: September 5, 2003

Strengths:    Saved me from a serious head injury or worse

Weaknesses:    Its broken

Bottom Line:
I had this helmet for a while and it fit great. Its comfortable and well ventilated. Good looks are impportant too and Giro has always had the best looking helmets.

Yesterday I was riding the Third Divide trail in Downieville.
I fell 50 feet down a steep embankment smashing my head into an oak tree. The only reason I am not drooling on myself or in a hospital bed is the Boreas.

Saved my ass.

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz for trails Gunnar Roadie for pavement

Submitted by Tony a Weekend Warrior from Earth

Date Reviewed: November 10, 2002

Strengths:    Sleek Looks
Light
Well-Ventilated

Bottom Line:
I normally don't wear a helmet (yeah, yeah I'm stubborn), but I had to purchase one for a bike tour of Spain beecause that country passed a helmet law. Since I've never owned a helmet prior to this, I can't make any comparisons. Anyhow, I'm a short guy but require wearing a Large size helmet, so I was afraid the weight would strain my neck. Also, a concern was how hot it would get. None of these things occurred. After a few days, I didn't notice the helmet being there, which is indicative of a good helmet. The only complaint - it's minor - is that the helmet would sometimes shift, but that could be my inexperience with the fit than anything else. Overall, a great product. BTW, practically everybody I saw cycling in Spain ignores the helmet law.

Bike Setup:   Tommasini Sintesi. Yeti ARC

Submitted by Lucas a Cross Country Rider from Vejle, Denmark

Date Reviewed: October 20, 2002

Strengths:    1. Nice looking
2. Lots of vents

Weaknesses:    1. Velcro ribbons not glued well to Roc Loc

Bottom Line:
I used this helmet on my trip across US (7000 mi.) I was on the road for 52 days. When I finished one of the velcro ribbons had fallen of the RocLoc system (bad glue). I glued it myself with some epoxy - it seemed good - but after another 2 weeks of riding the ribbon came of again. To me the RocLoc system feels like it's bad quality.
I'm giving the helmet 3 stars because its comfortable and you'll get a lot of air, but quality sucks.

Favorite Trail:   Northern Tier

Purchased At:   online shopping in Denmark

Similar Products Used:   Nothing

Bike Setup:   Touring Bike

Submitted by Nick Cranch a Weekend Warrior from London

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2002

Strengths:    Lightweight, good vents for cooling, very adjustable.

Weaknesses:    Few more pads would be nice

Bottom Line:
First one was bought in 95, great helmet which fitted perfectly (right shape head I guess). After entering a car head first through the windscreen insurance bought me a new one. Second one was stolen and third one is now a little tired after much abuse. Incredibly strong with no problems other than the plastic coating on the neck brace has delaminated requiring tape.

Ideal for road and trails, the colours are not too bright and don't detract the ladies eyes from my thighs and/or Klein. If you want a really head turning helmet don't bother - it's far too refined for posing.

Never moves on my head (right shape for me), always cool even in summer London city heat and is extremely resistant to little scrapes and knocks.

Off to buy an E2 now.

Purchased At:   Evans Cycles

Similar Products Used:   First helmet, and second and third.

Bike Setup:   Hardtails, road and trail.

Submitted by Jon a Weekend Warrior from Blacksburg, VA, USA

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2001

Strengths:    cool, good airflow, fair fit

Weaknesses:    only two sizes, so most people will have trouble with a "perfect" fit

Bottom Line:
I have a long, narrowish head, so the fit isn't perfect, but better than my old cheap helmets, and it feels very secure on my head.. doesn't shift at all. I use this mostly on the road, but also on my few trail adventures. Good helmet, close-out price.

Favorite Trail:   cow trails!

Purchased At:   performancebike.com

Similar Products Used:   various cheap Specialized helmets in the past

Bike Setup:   2000 Univega Modo Vincere road bike, old beater Mongoose Switchback MTB

Submitted by Professor Rath from Berlin

Date Reviewed: July 16, 2001

Strengths:    Ventilated; fits my head.

Weaknesses:    RocLoc retention system.

Bottom Line:
Having gotten fed up with the Ventoux's crappy retention system, I was ready to get a Limar, but my head just wouldn't fit into the sizes available, so I went with the Boreas instead. It fit nicely enough in the store, but again, the RocLoc feature is this helmet's real weakness. The glue holding the velcro fasteners came undone, and the straps get in the way of a headband. Tightening as much as is tolerable STILL results in the helmet sliding forward on my head, and when you're in the drops getting anaerobic, the last thing you want is having your view obstructed.

I might get a Pneumo, which seems to have a sturdy strap for the back of the head, but if there's any problems, it will be the last Giro helmet I ever buy.

Purchased At:   Velo Pasadena

Similar Products Used:   Giro Ventoux

Submitted by Shayana Kadidal from New York

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2001

Strengths:    style; ventilation; its relative (a Ventoux) gave its life for my head.

Weaknesses:    pricey for styrofoam in plastic wrapper.

Bottom Line:
I wear a helmet every time I'm on my bike, and so should everyone else who rides. In my one bad crash a Giro helmet converted a major concussion into an impact I didn't even feel. (See my Ventoux review...)

In terms of its basic shape, this helmet seems to fit worse than my old Giro Ventoux--a little more jiggle from side to side; the front-to-back fit is fine. Numerous, thick foam pads were included separately to help adjust the fit--so maybe the broad mold was designed to allow the wide-headed to fit into these helmets with some jerry-rigging. (I think there may be one less size now than Giro used to offer... but I'm not 100% sure on that.)

That said, the rocloc feature is very effective at keeping the helmet from sliding around on my head. The old helmet occasionally slid up my forehead even though its basic fit was better. So I guess overall this model represents progress.

Purchased At:   Colorado Cyclist

Submitted by Il Falco a Racer from Tucson Az US

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2001

Strengths:    Big air flow, spacey lookin' and wraps real well around my 'noggin, best m-f-ing price around!

Weaknesses:    The cheesy roc-loc 3 thing came apart after about 3 months. The little glued on plastic covers over the ratcheting mech are "basura!"

Bottom Line:
This is the most comfortable lid I have ever worn. I bought the funky green one from supergo on a close out cuz no one else had one and I needed a new one. My only complaint is that the plastic covers over the ratcheting clamps came apart and would grab the hair on the back of my head and pull it out (which is kind of kinky but a pain) but mucho gusto kudos to my local shop (Full- Cycle) who warrantied the whole roc-loc biz even tho I didn't buy it from them. Many thanks Zach! I would buy another one in a heart beat but would trap some other color as this one starts to look like a booger on your bean after a while. 4.5 mega burnin' turds.

Favorite Trail:   One with no car sized boulders

Purchased At:   supergo.com

Similar Products Used:   Bell Evo Pro, Cratoni Maniac

Bike Setup:   Which one? I have eight.

Submitted by Juny Binamira a Cross Country Rider from Tagbilaran, Bohol, Philippines

Date Reviewed: February 27, 2001

Strengths:    Numerous vents allow lots of cooling, Stylish looks - one of the best-looking roadie helmets I've seen.

Weaknesses:    The coolmax pads disintigrate after awhile - i guess the sweat breaks down the foam material, then it just crumbles away and separates from the cloth.

Bottom Line:
I live in a HOT country - the Boreas lives up to its name: "north wind" keeps my head as cool as is possible. In fact, under a punishing noon sun, I think the shade it provides keeps me cooler than without a helmet! The problem with the pads falling apart is the only downside, but then I guess this happens with all helmets. This helmet is so comfortable, I wouldn't think of riding on the road without it. So the bottom line is safety! I'm on my second Boreas - my first one was green, sold it and bought the white. This one is starting to look kinda worn, so I'm thinking of replacing it with the new "Pneumo" - even larger vents!!!

Similar Products Used:   Giro Supermoto (great value) & Giro E2

Bike Setup:   I use the Boreas mostly on the road, I use an E2 on my mtb

Submitted by Kenneth Hutton a Cross Country Rider from Okinawa, Japan

Date Reviewed: January 18, 2001

Strengths:    Fit (Comfort), Ventilation, Style

Weaknesses:    None Noted

Bottom Line:
I've been hesitant to wear helmets, but this Boreas is so comfortable and stylish that I don't mind at all. Wear it and you don't even know it's there. Ride without it and you feel like something's missing. Purchased the yellow/orange combination and an attachable sun visor. New owners need to experiment with the adjustments. Giro was so comfortable I didn't read the instructions for awhile. Finally did just out of curiosity. There are strap adjustments that can be made using the velcro underneath the pads. Now the Boreas fits like a glove.

The bottom line is protection. Fortunately, I have had no serious accidents which threatened my melon.

Cost...Have you bothered to consider the outrageous prices you probably paid for your other bicycle components?

Personally I paid more than I would have liked for the Boreas, but I now have a helmet that I'll wear. Much better than owning a less expensive helmet that I'm more apt than not to leave behind.

Favorite Trail:   Ishikawa

Purchased At:   Colorado Cyclist

Similar Products Used:   Verious Bell

Bike Setup:   2000 Cannondale V700SX w Lefty

Submitted by LoLo a Cross Country Rider from East Coast USA

Date Reviewed: January 8, 2001

Strengths:    Fit, function, weight, LOOKS

Bottom Line:
It fits good, weighs little, protects the brain, & looks good. What more could you want? (besides a lower price)

Submitted by Morten a Racer from Hønefoss, Norway

Date Reviewed: January 5, 2001

Strengths:    Light, many vents, exceptionally good fit:
A Boreas is a Boreas and it won the Tour in 99!

Weaknesses:    Too expensive, afterwards i was almost broke; it gets a bit cold in winter

Bottom Line:
I would buy it again!

Similar Products Used:   Giro Riviera

Submitted by Rui Furtado a Racer from Sao Jose dos Campos, SP, Brazil

Date Reviewed: December 12, 2000

Strengths:    Lots of vents, light, great color combinations

Bottom Line:
If you like to run fast, on long distance trips and on hot days buy it!! If you don't, buy it anyway because it looks great.

Favorite Trail:   Carvalho Pinto Road

Purchased At:   Bike Joe

Similar Products Used:   Giro Eclipse, Giro Torero, Rudy Project T-Rex

Bike Setup:   Cube Comp Attempt

Submitted by Chris Jones a Racer from Portland, OR, USA

Date Reviewed: December 5, 2000

Strengths:    Lots of vetilation. Light.

Weaknesses:    Doesn't quite fit, padding comes off.

Bottom Line:
I've used Giro helmets for several years and they've always fit perfectly. I finally had the opportunity to buy a Boreas and its the first one to not fit. While it does work, it just doesn't fit me as well as my Stelvio does. Its a great helmet, somethings just not quite right between it and my skull.

Purchased At:   River City Bicycles