Giro Airblast Helmet Older Helmets

4.54/5 (13 Reviews)

Giro Airblast Helmet

Submitted by Jeff a Weekend Warrior from Longmont, CO

Date Reviewed: November 14, 2001

Strengths:    Light and cheap

Weaknesses:    Older tech tape between the shell and helmet. Visor pins are subject to breakage if crashed.

Bottom Line:
This was my old helmet when I first started using Giro products. The fit is good, only minor adjustments to the padding and straps to make it perfect. Not enough venting for mid-summer desert (a-la Moab), but fine elsewhere. Older style of taping between shell and styrofoam is not as durable as the newer bonded technology. A good started helmet without breaking the bank.

Similar Products Used:   Giro Gila

Bike Setup:   Specialized hardtail, Schwinn boinger

Submitted by FAT a Weekend Warrior from sf bay area

Date Reviewed: April 4, 2001

Strengths:    Nice design when i bought this helmet (1994). And i still wearing it. Have safe my head from several crashes in my mountain biking life.

Weaknesses:    none.... after 5 years it still inshape

Bottom Line:
this is a good helmet...

Purchased At:   PERFORMANCE

Bike Setup:   technical hardtrail

Submitted by matt grothoff a Cross Country Rider from st louis

Date Reviewed: October 15, 2000

Strengths:    Durable, decent ventilation, pretty frickin light, no visor!!

Weaknesses:    the exterior shell was just taped onto the styrofoam, but it stayed on i guess.. wish it had a specific brow sweat pad.

Bottom Line:
great helmet. lasted me 5 years, and i feel fortunate to not have crashed badly enough to have to replace the thing. the thing was great, and the roc loc was pure gold. a must on any helmet. too bad they don't make the helmet anymore. i loved this helmet.

Favorite Trail:   Chubb in st louis

Purchased At:   Ballwin Schwinn

Similar Products Used:   Giro Ricochet, Hammerhead

Bike Setup:   99 Trek 7000

Submitted by Peter St-Amour a Cross Country Rider from North Wales

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2000

Strengths:    Ventilation, strength, looks

Weaknesses:    Brow pad fell out after a couple of years, but nevermind

Bottom Line:
I wouldn't be writing this if the Airblast didn't work. Despite being an original '93 model I hadn't had cause to test it up to now. However during a race last week I had a ground-sky-ground headfirst into a large rock. I didn't realise how bad the fall had been at first, and it was only when a marshall pointed out my helmet had cracked did I notice. The impact had been severe but the helmet took the blow well, cracking but remaining in one piece.
Up to that point I had always been happy with it and am sad to see it go but glad it went the way it did.
The only complaint I could make is that the replacement policy is a bit miserly. Although seven years old, my Airblast cost £70 and the replacement I am being offered is a £35 Torero, albeit for £20. At least I don't have to send it back to the states I suppose. As it happens I've bought a Boreas as a replacement and I hope it does a similarly decent job if I ever have to write a review like this again.

Favorite Trail:   Tank trail

Similar Products Used:   Specialized

Bike Setup:   Marin Mount Vision, Pace RC36 Pro-Class, XT, XTR, Hope Bulb, Mavic Ceramic

Submitted by shaun cimini a Weekend Warrior from pittsfield massachusetts

Date Reviewed: January 4, 2000

Strengths:
giro is the best hemet i have used due to the fact that it is very breathable and light and can resist hard impacts at very high speeds

Weaknesses:
well mine starts to smell after long weekends, but hey whos dosent?

Bottom Line:
im a wild teen on the loose that loves to MTB!! im 16 and will be mountain biking for 11 yrs this season....GIRO is a totally kick @ss product....ive taken some hard spills into trees,rocks and smacking into fellow riders while fighting for the best line and nothing has hurt my head due to the fact of GIRO HELMETS........one word that sums up GIRO products would be: AWESOME

sheep hills

more than 3 years

i havent tried anything even close to Giro products....keep up the awesome work!

Gt MTB....Rock Shox JUDY XC

Submitted by Reinout Holland a Cross-Country Rider from Rotterdam

Date Reviewed: October 19, 1999

Strengths:
Fit and comfort

Weaknesses:
not really.....

Bottom Line:
I crashed head first in a tree at 40 km/h I'm still alive (though bad back and bad ribs) and that sums it for the function of this baby. My first major crash in 4 years, the helmet broke into four pcs, but it did what it was intended to do. So though I paid big dough for a new helmet Giro Hammerhead) I can tell you it is worth the trouble.

more than 3 years

does it matter

Submitted by Nick Mann a weekend warrior from UK

Date Reviewed: July 11, 1998

Bottom Line:

I recently had a few days off mid week so I decided to go out on a long ride. The weather was typical for the Great British summer, no not raining but cloudy and cool. I debated whether to wear my helmet or not and decided I would, when its really warm I sometimes don't wear it because it can get a little warm but thank goodness I did decide to. I was riding along about 30mph when for no apparent reason I rode straight into the rear of a stationery road works vehicle. I don't know why and can't remember doing it. I was knocked out for about five minutes but don't remember anything at the scene of the accident. I spent a total of 6 days in hospital and sustained damage to my knee a fractured jaw a loss of 2 teeth and damage to about 8 others servere bruising to my spine.
My helmet was a complete mess being well and truely smashed up. However had I decided not to wear my helmet I would not be here to tell the tale, I would be 6 foot under.
Thank you Giro, there will be no debate in future what ever the conditions I will always wear a Giro Helmet.

Submitted by Andy L a weekend warrior from uk

Date Reviewed: May 7, 1998

Bottom Line:

One of these helmets saved my life a year ago today and I continue to wear a giro airblast. Despite headbutting a road at 30 mph I got up and walked into casualty, only to leave 4 hours later with a dislocated shoulder and a few broken teeth. What can I say, lightweight, cool colours, great fit, durability well yeah, I could say that but, what matters is - they do their job when you need them most. Thanks giro for a great product

Submitted by Ken a cross-country rider from Texas

Date Reviewed: January 6, 1998

Bottom Line:

This helmet saved my life...literally. I planted my face/head into the base of an oak tree(while mtn. biking) and split the helmet down the middle. However, the hat stayed together!!(Due to the internal structure) A concussion/cracked rib and two days in the hospital later..I will wear nothing but Giro. I recommend Giro helmets to anyone who rides bikes.

Submitted by Noel Buckley a weekend warrior from Vancouver, BC

Date Reviewed: May 26, 1997

Bottom Line:

Giro helmets, with there awsome sizing and replacement policies are great. Mine has saved my head many times; the warranty is excellent. great fit, but unfortunately, for a sometimes great price.

Submitted by Mark Bowditch from UK

Date Reviewed: March 7, 1997

Bottom Line:

I have used and broken two Giro crash helmets. The first was after a black out on a bicycle, whilst training to race in Germany for the RN. (over-exersion and stress, but that is another story). I lost control of the bike totally and heab-butted the curb. When I came round I was taken to hospital in an Ambulance and checked, all systems ok. I was given the remains of my crash helmet and told if I hadn't been wearing I would be dead. Giro replaced that crash helmet free of charge for a brand new one. A nice car driver took me off my next bike, again the hat saved my head and again Giro replaced the halmet. I have only praise for this company and there marvelous products and service. If living is important to you consider them well, as you only have one head and Giro saved mine twice. (No I am not in marketing)

Submitted by Dan Glass a weekend warrior from CT

Date Reviewed: February 16, 1997

Bottom Line:

I bought this helmet last year as a replacement for my 15 year old Bell brain bucket. You know, the white one with the orange stripes. Since then neck fatigue is eliminated. Helmet is light, comfortable and affordable. Also, if you scratch out the i and the r your helmet will say Go which is what I try to do.

Submitted by Michael Sirrine a weekend warrior from CT

Date Reviewed: October 21, 1996

Bottom Line:

I've been using the AirBlast for about 4 months. I got it for a great price $39.95 from Performance. For $14.99, I added a Giro visor and now it is great. It is very comfortable, lightweight, and the air flow is adequate. I would recommend this helmet to anyone looking for a very good helmet at a moderate price.