Bell Trail Rider Pro Older Helmets

Weight : 1 lb. 6 oz. MSRP : $29.99

• Outer shell is made up of impact resistant ABS plastic.
  • 14 cooling vents

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by malcolm lowe a Weekend Warrior from Huntsville, Ontario , Canada

Date Reviewed: September 18, 2003

Strengths:    hard outer shell, not a wimpy plastic covering, good foam inner . Head straps are riveted not glued, good venting, comfortable fit. Price is A-1. Plus it looks good, in my opinion. Even my wife says it looks good!!

Weaknesses:    could use a visor attachment location but I duct-taped one on, other than that, it's perfect.

Bottom Line:
    I tried about 20 (honest) different helmets before I stumbled across this one on sale ( last years model). It was the only one that felt as solid as my dirt bike helmet.

I'm an older rider ( 50s ) and have ridden dirt bikes for the past 30 years ( Still have my 250 Yamaha TY250 Trials bike, 1976 !!) I moved into off-road biking about three years ago and got hooked. My wimpy-looking road helmet did not fill me with confidence so I set out to try to get a more substantial helmet (I like my cerebral mass INSIDE my cranium !)The Bell trailrider filled the order .

Anyone riding a bike offroad on weekends would be wise to look at this well made product. A bit heavy in comparison to some of the vented shells but compared to my Bell motorcycle helmet, it's a lightweight. I'm 6'1", 205.

The reason I went for a semi-full coverage helmet ? Friend went off his bike into a tree and a branch went right through one of the massive vents in his Giro Pneumo helmet and punctured his skull.

Added bonus, I can use it for kayaking !!

Favorite Trail:   anyplace that has soil or sand

Purchased At:   CyclePath Markham

Similar Products Used:   Shoei, Bell motorcycle helmets. wimpy street helmets

Bike Setup:   Giant Rainier, stock except for Hutchinson Alligator tires

Submitted by Scott a Weekend Warrior from Marblehead, MA

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2003

Strengths:    Price. Excellent coverage. Strong. Fit. Vents

Bottom Line:
    For the price, you can't find a better helmet. Nice constrtuction, good coverage, and fit well. A must have for those dog days of summer. It keeps you cool, and gives you more confident than XC helmet.
    Giro also made similar helmet at twice the price. Say no to that.

Get the Bell Trail Rider.

Favorite Trail:   Lynn Woods

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   661 Full Bravo

Submitted by JC a Weekend Warrior from Memphis, TN USA

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2003

Strengths:    SOLID! Looks good to me! Comfortable! Inexpensive!! Looks even better with my shades on.

Weaknesses:    LOOKS EVEN BETTER WITH MY SHADES ON! My wife thinks I'm a dork! A 6'3" 280lb dork.

Bottom Line:
    Unlike the poser above or below that looked in the mirror and then took his helmet back, I care about quality, not about what everyoe else thinks. I think it looks good on my melon. I'd DO me! He says it's heavy. Jeez, what does he have? A spider neck? It's light as all get-out. If you don't like the helmets that look like you have a bee-hive on your head, this one looks more like a bowling ball. Nah, but the holes remind me of one. Check it out and if you think it looks good, get it! It will certainly do its job! 4 chilis in "overall" because my wife stopped having sex with me while I'm wearing the helmet!!

Purchased At:   Sports Authority

Similar Products Used:   I tried others on in the store that weren't comfy. The only other thing was my old Bell BMX helmet from the early 80s. That thing blows!

Bike Setup:   Raleigh M80 with a few upgrades like Thomson stem and seatpost, Easton EA70 straight bar, Race Face Good'n Evil grips, Cane creek ergo bar ends and a WTB Laser V Stealth saddle. You can't beat the M80 for the price! I have a GT rebound too that I kept from college. I have a soft spot for GTs, but it's covered by the new helmet, so no worries.

Submitted by Bruce from Oregon

Date Reviewed: August 24, 2001

Strengths:    strong, lasts long, full protection, good for skating and biking, good colors, comfortable, comes with many sets of foam pads for different head sizes.

Weaknesses:    a little hot.

Bottom Line:
    This is a great helmet for your money. It Looks good, is comfortable, and protects. Get it in the larger size and put the biggest pads in. If your a skater or a biker you can use this helmet. If your looking for a helmet that really protects then you should get this helmet. I skate all day every day and fall all the time, this helmet has not failed me yet.

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   Protec, Bonedome.

Submitted by Skyler Fuzzy a Weekend Warrior from Toronto, Canada

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2001

Strengths:    Protects you

Weaknesses:    Looks like sh!t, heavy, bulky and very wide!

Bottom Line:
    Don't get this unless you want a heavy bulky helmet that looks like garbage. I bought this helmet and then as soon as I got home, looked in the mirror and immediatly went back and returned it!

Purchased At:   Sports Check