Bell Rubicon Pro Older Helmets

4.82/5 (17 Reviews)

Bell Rubicon Pro

Submitted by Curtis a Cross Country Rider from Rockville, MD

Date Reviewed: January 27, 2003

Strengths:    Fit and protection, visor

Weaknesses:    No longer produced

Bottom Line:
I crashed on my road bike in November 2002 while wearing my 1999 Bell Rubicon Pro. I fractured my right clavicle and injured my hip in the fall. I was aware that my head struck the ground *hard* at the moment of impact. The helmet did not shift on my head, and it saved my f****** ass. Bell is replacing it with a 2002 X-Ray for $35. I love the Garneau's fit and lightness, but the Bell product proved itself. I've been wearing helmets since they were leather stuffed with horsehair, and this is the first time I've put one to the test. Bell came through for me.

Similar Products Used:   Giro, LG Alien, leather hairnets, skid lid, etc

Bike Setup:   Old (1970's) Reynolds 531 Serotta "Standard" road frame

Submitted by Chris Taylor a Weekend Warrior from Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2002

Strengths:    Light weight, solid construction, pretty good venting

Weaknesses:    Pads are too thin, can get a bit of a "helmet imprint" on your forehead after long rides

Bottom Line:
The Rubicon was a pretty good helmet for its time. It had a decent number of vents, and a pretty good fit. The only major issue was that the pads are pretty thin and after a long sweaty ride they compress to the point where they might as well not be there. If they beefed up the padding it would be a near-perfect helmet. I eventually replaced my Rubicon Pro with a Bell X-Ray Pro. I'd look at the X-Ray first, it's got an even better retention system and sturdier padding.

Favorite Trail:   Don Valley

Purchased At:   Cyclepath (Danforth)

Similar Products Used:   Bell X-Ray Pro

Bike Setup:   2000 Trek STP 400, stock

Submitted by Kelly James Yee a Weekend Warrior from San Mateo, CA, U.S.A.

Date Reviewed: January 4, 2002

Strengths:    Excellent fit, decent looks, and time honored brand name.

Weaknesses:    Padding adhesive tends to yank out hairs (ouch!)

Bottom Line:
When it comes to a helmet, I believe that fit is a top priority because if it's not comfortable, I'd be less inclined to wear it. I'll also admit that a helmet has to look half decent because I don't want to look like a dweeb.

Fortunately, the Bell Rubicon Pro addresses both of these issues very well. Okay, so it's not as cool looking as the Giro Exodus or E2, but the Bell helmets fit my noggin much better than the Giros and I think the Rubicon Pro actually looks better on me than the aforementioned Giros.

I recently gave into peer pressure and bought a Litespeed road bike to join my roadie friends on their rides (you can ride an MTB with slick tires for only so long.) The Rubicon Pro's visor can be removed, so when I saddle up on the Litespeed, off comes the visor and voila, I now have a road helmet.

I like the Rubicon Pro so much, I bought another one strictly for MTB rides. Pricepoint.com still has mediums for $40/ea. My only gripe is that the padding adhesive pulls out an occasional hair or two, especially when the helmet is new. Overall an excellent value considering the "baseball cap" like fit, great ventilation (count 'em, 26 vents), and fusion cover molding. 5 flaming turds all around.

Favorite Trail:   Skeggs, Parisima

Purchased At:   pricepoint.com

Similar Products Used:   Bell Cyclone, old Giro fabric covered lid.

Bike Setup:   Yakota aluminum hardtail, Answer Manitou Ti front shock, XTR wheels and V-brakes, XT brake levers/shifters.

Submitted by Matt a Weekend Warrior from Fairfax, Va, USA

Date Reviewed: October 19, 2001

Strengths:    Lightweight, Comfort, Price, Looks

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
For this price you simply can't beat it. It looks cool, is very comfortable, lightweight...did I mention it's cheap??\
If you want a very nice Giro E2 level helmet, but don't care to pay the price, then this helmet is for you. The blue is freakin sweet lookin. Save yourself 75 bucks over an E2 and go buy some other "wish list" components. Five "flamin poops" all around!!

Favorite Trail:   Fountainbleu

Similar Products Used:   Giro and other Bell helmets

Bike Setup:   2002 Gary Fisher Big Sur

Submitted by Mike B a Cross Country Rider from Medford, Oregon

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2001

Strengths:    Superb fit, great looks, excellent construction, extremely well ventilated.

Weaknesses:    None found so far

Bottom Line:
These helmets are awesome! We ordered two of these from Price Point (the best price) and got them for $35 ea. but even at $40 they're an incredible deal.
If the Bell shape fits your head (Giro's don't fit the shape of my head well at all) then you can't go wrong here. Normally I would never buy a helmet without trying it on first, but being a discontinued item I couldn't find one in a shop, so after reading all the reviews on it I took a chance and ordered it. Everyone spoke of the great fit and sure enough it was everything it was built up to be. How often does that happen? After the initial sizing and a couple of rides to "sweat it in" it feels like I've had it for years.
I personally like the looks a lot and I will point out that there is a world of difference between a $40 helmet and a $100 helmet bought for $40. There is a quality and workmanship there that just doesn't come in the lower priced helmets. The best helmet I have ever worn! Buy one I'm sure you'll bee glad you did. They're still available online but size and color selection are drying up. Act fast!

Purchased At:   Pricepoint.com

Similar Products Used:   Bell Image Pro
Giro Air Attack (remeber those?)
Road Gear Styro thing

Bike Setup:   96 GT LTS1, full XT, Judy DH fork, RS Super Deluxe rear shock (ugh!), Azonics World Force flat bar, Oury grips (the best)

Submitted by Ron K a Cross Country Rider from Evergreen, CO

Date Reviewed: January 22, 2001

Strengths:    Fits great and looks pretty good too. Once properly adjusted, this helmet won't budge on the fastest descents, and it's so comfortable you'll forget it's there. What more can you ask? Bell has a pretty good crash relacement policy too; send the busted helmet and $35 and they send a replacement.

Weaknesses:    There is some styrofoam exposed where the upper and lower halves of the shell meet. More on one side than the other. It's a minor cosmetic issue but a little annoying.

Bottom Line:
There really isn't alot to say about a helmet. Any helmet is going to provide roughly the same amount of protection, as long as it fits well, is comfortable, and dosn't fall apart. The only other major consideration is appearance, and that's all a matter of opinion. In my opinion the rubicon looks good. Not quite as stylish as some of the Giros, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. For $135 I'd give this (or any) helmet 2 chiles for value; but I only paid $54 and it looks like not many others paid full retail either, so 4 chiles for value. If you're looking for a good helmet right now, the Rubicons are all over the web cheap. PricePoint.com has small, medium, and large in all three colors on blowout for $39. You ain't gonna find a better helmet for that kind of scratch. Nashbar has 'em too ($44.44) Here's hopin' you never need it.

Favorite Trail:   Bergen Peak

Purchased At:   Gear.com

Similar Products Used:   Lower priced Bells

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher Sugar 3. mostly stock

Submitted by Pete Mayhak a Cross Country Rider from Grand Rapids, MI

Date Reviewed: January 12, 2001

Strengths:    This helmet fits like the one or two ball caps everyone has owned and just not been able to throw away. Lots of vents and very light weight.

Weaknesses:    None yet.

Bottom Line:
Buy the helmet retail buy two if you can get 'em at the deal I did.

Purchased At:   pricepoint.com

Similar Products Used:   Loewr end Bell.

Bike Setup:   Specialized FSR/XC Comp.

Submitted by Jared S a Racer from regina

Date Reviewed: November 5, 2000

Strengths:    super good fitting and looks cool

Weaknesses:    I've had 2 of these helmets and this years one the glue didn't hold together very well at al I had to take it to a shoe maker and get him to glue it.

Bottom Line:
They're both nice helmets except my older one fits a lot different than my new one and my new one the glue came off for one of the adjustment straps. I have the red with black diamond, and the silver/silver helmets. They vent realy well but their visors kind of suck I was riding fast on an offchamber part of trail and fell and hit my face hard and the visor broke.

Favorite Trail:   Milstream

Purchased At:   outtabounds

Similar Products Used:   tsunami pro and a forza 2

Bike Setup:   99 M2-Pro with lots of race-face

Submitted by CrazyMike a Weekend Warrior from Foothill Ranch, CA

Date Reviewed: October 29, 2000

Strengths:    Fit, let me say again fit. It fits like a glove

Weaknesses:    Velcro staying put

Bottom Line:
This is the best helmet I have owned yet. The fit and fell of this helmet is like is was made just for me. The Volvo/Cannondale team didn't make a mistake in making this there team helmet.

Purchased At:   Nashbar.com

Similar Products Used:   Giro torrer, Greg Lemond, Giro Exodus

Bike Setup:   Fuji master

Submitted by Brady a Cross Country Rider from Tuscaloosa

Date Reviewed: October 26, 2000

Strengths:    Great fit, good looks, excelent ventilation. Fusion fit system is great, and back of helmet is covered in hard plastic, no exposed foam

Bottom Line:
I originally wanted the Nemisis pro, but Univ. Cycles didn't have it in the color I wanted and let me have the Rubicon for the same price since they had it in the color I wanted. It's turned out to be a great helmet. Don't take my work for it, also take Cannondale's, this is the team helmet for the Volvo team.

Favorite Trail:   Munny Sokol Park

Purchased At:   www.universalcycles.com

Similar Products Used:   None, first bike helment

Bike Setup:   C'dale SuperV

Submitted by Sheila a Cross Country Rider from Morrisville,VT

Date Reviewed: September 12, 2000

Strengths:    Well ventilated, cool, very comfortable, light

Weaknesses:    The elastic strap in the middle of the head-lock system is tearing away from the plastic attachment points. This does need to be repaired.

Bottom Line:
Got a great deal from online outlet store. Both they, and Bell, said I could return the helmet for repair. However, that leaves me without a helmet, and since I ride daily, that is not an option now.

I really like the helmet, and I suppose when cooler weather comes, I will return it for repair/replacement of the elastic strap, and have to borrow one of my kids lids.

Favorite Trail:   Whiplash at Great Glen trails

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   Bell paradox Pro, an old clunker Cannondale

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher Marlin, preyy much stock except for clipless pedals.

Submitted by Fran a Cross Country Rider from Blue Bell, PA

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2000

Strengths:    Ventalation was excellent, I got the green color which is cool. Fit is great, I was going to get the cratoni Twister.
But this one fit better and looked better. I did like the twister fit knob that makes adjustments. Bell makes great helmets.

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
The price was great. Listed for $99.00, I got the twenty dollar rebate plus my lbs gave me ten dollars off that. The visior is a secure fit.
So price and fit plus ventalation sealed the deal. Crantoni
twister was good idea but needs better colors. The visior on the Crantoni is held on only by velco. They need to improve this option.

Favorite Trail:   Middle Run

Similar Products Used:   Bell imagine, Giro

Bike Setup:   Specialize StumpJumper

Submitted by Mike a Cross Country Rider from Yorba Linda

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2000

Strengths:    Feels great, lots of vents, light.

Weaknesses:    None, except it kinda does look industrial and unfinished in design, as others have noted.

Bottom Line:
I love this helmet. Got a great deal at gear.com (like 43$). I messed up my helmet though. Im too embarassed to say how, but I really regret it. I bought the Gila to replace it, which is good enough, but doesnt really compare to the rubicon. Id recomend this or the nemesis if you can get a good price. Bell does a 20$ rebate for your old helmet through August too.