Bell Psycho Pro Older Helmets

4.13/5 (16 Reviews)

Bell Psycho Pro

Submitted by Mike Chen Wei Han a Weekend Warrior from Alor Setar,Kedah,Malaysia

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2000

Strengths:    Great fit,protection,price,looks....

Bottom Line:
This helmet saved my life a few times already.
Once,I crashed into a tree and even broke the tree into 2 pieces!!Wow,I was surprised to find myself alive.
I suffered concussion but nothing else maybe some scratches here and there.
Thanks Bell!!

Courage For Your Head!!!!

Favorite Trail:   Mike Chen's VIP only

Similar Products Used:   giro

Bike Setup:   mongoose carbon/aluminium

Submitted by Hans Persson a Weekend Warrior from Lund, Sweden

Date Reviewed: November 6, 1999

Strengths:
Very good fit

Weaknesses:
Ventilation

Bottom Line:
Fits my head perfect. I tried a few other helmets i shops, but could not get a good fit. Weakness is that the ventilation is insufficient in warm weather.

ParkPre Pro 825

Submitted by Aaron Heilbrun a Racer from Santiago, Chile

Date Reviewed: September 23, 1999

Strengths:
Straps are very comfortable.
Lightweight.

Weaknesses:
Fit was off for me.

Bottom Line:
Very good helmet. Never quite fit me correctly but it was comfortable and inexpensive. I just kind of wore it out.

don't have one

Cratoni Maniac
Giro Switchblade

99 Fisher Big Sur

Submitted by Mike McKone a Cross-Country Rider from Burnaby B.C.

Date Reviewed: May 25, 1999

Bottom Line:
The Psycho Pro fits very well, is easy to adjust, and stays adjusted okay. It is an okay cool weather helmet but has inadequate ventilation for warm weather or hard riding.

6 months

Submitted by Ed a Cross-Country Rider from Raleigh, NC

Date Reviewed: May 14, 1999

Strengths:
Price
Fit
Weight

Bottom Line:
I picked mine up for $20 at a performance clearance center. I think it may have been in the wrong box, but who am I to tell the friendly salesman he's not doing his job.Once I got the right pads in it, it fit my head perfect. I love the Full Nelson thing. It feels like the helmet wont come off even without the straps.I've been using my Psycho Pro for over a year now, and have not had to adjust it once since setting it up the first time.

1st Class

Submitted by Adam a cross-country rider from Nelson, B.C., Canada

Date Reviewed: January 13, 1999

Bottom Line:

I got my Psycho for $65 compared to the original $109. I haven't had time
use it yet (its winter here!!);P but I think it should be good. It fits
really nicely but the Full Nelsoncan be a pain in th ass to set up. I had a
Bell Vertigo before but it started to fall apart and the shell was coming off.;P

Submitted by Todd a cross-country rider from Lewisville, TX

Date Reviewed: December 9, 1998

Bottom Line:

Picked this one up after I retired my old Image Pro, man what an improvement. I've since gone to an EVO2, but the Psycho seemed to fit my head better. I never realized my head was narrow and pointy until fitting for helmet. I guess fitting for helmet is very similar to fitting for shoes, it's VERY subjective. Anyway, I had several really nasty spills on this helmet, and while the final one cracked the foam on the underside of the helmet (I could see stress fractures in it when I took it off), the microshell remained intact. What a tough little bugger, but it was time to retire it. I probably would have had Bell replace it for $30, but I got the EVO2 from Supergo for $39. To sum up, I've been happy with Bell helmets, especially since they're not too hard to find cheap at year-end.

Submitted by Michael George a cross-country rider from Fremont California

Date Reviewed: August 10, 1998

Bottom Line:

I just got the replacement helmet in the mail. I had to send in a letter, the old helmet and $30.00 to get the replacement, which came in the mail in little more than a week from when I sent the helmet in. Very impressive service. I also liked the upgrades made to the new model. Adjusting the Full Nelson thing is very easy, and they have a port now for long hair, which I have plenty of (down to the middle of my back). The color is differnt than the original, but big deal.

Submitted by Michael George a cross-country rider from Fremont California

Date Reviewed: July 13, 1998

Bottom Line:

I have worn this for about half a year and felt that it was very comfortable and fit me well, but helmets are very individual. It was so comfortable for me though, I loved it. It was very cool, I liked the light padding and thin straps it was super secure, and yet not binding at all. It probly saved my life. I had a concusion. I do not reamember what happend, and no body saw it, but the helmet was demolished, and My head was protected. The bike was not as lucky though.
Try it out when you are shopping for a helmet, it is a worthy option. Helmets are very personal though so try on a lot before buying one.

Submitted by Tim a weekend warrior from Guam

Date Reviewed: March 25, 1998

Bottom Line:

As a reluctant crash test dummy I can say that this helmet works!! 30mph over a jump and head first staraight into an embankment. I broke the helmet in half. I limped away with two broken vertabra a mangled front wheel and nothing more than a bruise on the noggen. I'm restricted to my trainer indoors for awhile but I've already ordered another helmet. By the time it gets here I'll be ready for the dirt again. My only complaint is that the straps get out of adjustment easily, which means fooling with it before every ride. Deduct one Chili

Submitted by Javier a cross-country rider from VA

Date Reviewed: March 13, 1998

Bottom Line:

I have this helmet for about 7 months and every ride is as unconfortable as the one before. I guess I have something of a masoquist (just :) ) 'cause I keep using it. The straps as with all Bell helmets, are just to damm narrow and I can never find the right set up between the back ones and the front ones. It always end up either pulling front the front or back. Other than this I like the compact finish without the outer layer of plastic held all around by that thin black tape common to the other helmets. The retention system is just OK.

Submitted by Marvin a downhiller from Arkansas

Date Reviewed: March 4, 1998

Bottom Line:

It's a pretty ok helmet for the price. You get rear vents and a visor but it's uncomfortable as hell. The padding sucks and the shape just doesn't fit my head. The straps that it comes with are too damn short and the helmet slips. 1 chili for not being comfy

Submitted by Jonatan Gernes a weekend warrior from Ängelholm, Sweden

Date Reviewed: October 29, 1997

Bottom Line:

Bell Psycho ProIt saved my life. I had only used my brand new Bell Psycho Pro for one hour and twenty minutes when I fell. The doctor said I would have died if it hadn't been for the helmet. Unfortunately it didn't save my shoulder, I have to rest for 5-6 weeks, but THAT I can live with ... Today I bought a new helmet and yes, it too is a Bell Psycho Pro. Why? It has saved my skull once, why change a winning team, and it looks great, fits nice, keeps cool but most importantly, I got it for half the price because the shop-owner felt so sorry for me!!!

Submitted by Chuck Woo a weekend warrior from San Francisco, CA

Date Reviewed: October 10, 1997

Bottom Line:

BELL PSYCHO PRO. I got this helmet for $50 and when I got home I realized the price was so low because it's last years model. Oh well, I get to miss out on some new, gaudy graphics. I haven't crashed yet (it's hard to get skull bongos out here in Marin because most of what we get to ride are fire roads) so I'm taking their word for it that it'll protect me. I just wanted to say what a revelation it is to have one of these modern helmets, compared to my last one from 1993. The new helmets have more protection for the back of the head, more vents (around 14 or 15 vs. 5 in my old helmet!), and look much cooler due in part to the well-designed Bell visor. The main reason to get a modern helmet, though, is the retention device. My helmet stays where I put it now, without my constantly reaching up to push it back in place. How cool is that?!? And hey, the Psycho Pro is cool looking and not too expensive. If I ever get in a crash and am still able to write a follow-up, I'll grant the fifth pepper! - Chuck

Submitted by Niklas Ingvar-Nilsson a weekend warrior from Uppsala, Sweden

Date Reviewed: April 7, 1997

Bottom Line:

Well this review is for Bell Psycho.I did not like the visor because it become loose way to often. But last saturday it probably saved my life in a downhill in approximity 25-30 miles/h when the bike suddenly turn right and I continued forward. So now I have used that helmet for the last time but my next helmet will probably be of the same model. Because the hemet fullfilled its main purpose with glance I can't do anything else that give it a 5+ stars ranking.
/Niklas