Bell Paradox Pro Older Helmets

Weight : 9.3 oz MSRP : $39.99

Bell Paradox Pro

Submitted by Pete Kneeland a Weekend Warrior from Houston, Tx

Date Reviewed: February 12, 2007

Strengths:    It feels good and I liked the visor as I ride in bright sun light on long road trips

Weaknesses:    could use more vents, as the foamies got hard from sweat drying them out. New helmets have the GPS system (fit) which is adjustable on the fly.

Bottom Line:
This is an adequate helmet for recreational riders. I only upgraded for more vents and better adjustability. I think my heads worth the $79 the new helmet costs.

Favorite Trail:   Road

Purchased At:   On-line

Similar Products Used:   Specialized, replace the Paradox w/ a new XC Sweep. Yeah, I know its a MTB helmet but I like the Visor.

Bike Setup:   Habanero Titanium w/ full Campy

Submitted by Vince Marc a Cross Country Rider from Lakeland,FL

Date Reviewed: July 4, 2004

Strengths:    Nice fit. Cooling vents adequate. Takes a beating and still performs well.

Weaknesses:    Foam Contact Pads beomes very hard and could cause minor cuots and bruises on forehead area. Pads are not replaceable.

Bottom Line:
Good roduct for the price. Only wish pads were replaceable.

Purchased At:   Primo Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Giro helmets.

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Andrew a Cross Country Rider from Saskatoon, Sask, CANADA

Date Reviewed: December 30, 2003

Strengths:    Good bang for the buck ( I think I paid around $50 CND) Its been used and abused for 2 almost 3 years and I love it!

Weaknesses:    none really...its a little warm, but then again black was not the best color choice (it was the last one in my size!)

Bottom Line:
Yup I'm buying another one, cuz its time I retired this one. Maybe I'll go up one model, but Bell fits me noggin the best of anything I can afford. I've crashed my brains out more times then I can count, but thanks to the helmet, I can still ride!

Favorite Trail:   QE2 or Psych Center

Purchased At:   Bike Docter

Similar Products Used:   CHEAP bell ($20 CND)

Bike Setup:   Trek 4500 upgraded shifters and rear rim, platform pedals

Submitted by nathan not tellin a Downhiller from australia

Date Reviewed: September 8, 2002

Strengths:    comes with extra foam bits

Weaknesses:    after 2 years the yellow plastic stuf became britle and crackes Didn't come with visor tape comes off

Bottom Line:
the main thing about a helmet isnt what it looks like (much)and if the tape comes off its there to pretect your ed. im 15 and i do stuped things and it has been there 4 me i av ad about 5 big crashes with it and it still looks fine and stillsits nicely on my ed.

Favorite Trail:   lots

Purchased At:   shop

Similar Products Used:   some giro thing

Submitted by Scott a Racer from Ypsilanti, Mi, USA

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2002

Strengths:    Feels pretty good on......

Weaknesses:    BROKE without falling

Bottom Line:
I rode this helmet for almost a year and then without warning and without hitting anything (never hitting anything) the plastic strap going around the back of the helmet just snapped in half!!!!! My helmet fell down in front of my eyes and I couldn't see so I had to wedge it onto my head to ride the rest of the 9 mile trail I was on.

So I figure no prob... I'll just call them and they will do whatever they can to get me a new one by my race on Sunday. So I call them and the lady on the phone is like "you know some "SERIOUS" riders get two helmets and keep another around in case something goes wrong." Now that is bull! She is saying that because their product is crap I should spend double on it and that is just crap so now I am pissed so....... 1 Star!

Favorite Trail:   Poto

Similar Products Used:   other BELLS

Submitted by Chad a Cross Country Rider from Dallas, TX USA

Date Reviewed: June 7, 2002

Strengths:    great ventilation
fits well
light weight
protects head well

Weaknesses:    visor blocks view

Bottom Line:
I bought this helmet thinking it was a great deal. It fit great and kept my head cool. Well, I was riding, and there was a low-hanging tree limb; it had never posed a problem with previous helmets. The visor blocked my field of view, and my head hit the limb; I had to sit down a few minutes before riding again. I almost passed out. DO NOT BUY THIS HELMET UNLESS YOU ENJOY HAVING THE TOP HALF OF YOUR FIELD OF VIEW BLOCKED.

Favorite Trail:   Tyler State Park

Purchased At:   Oshman's

Similar Products Used:   other Bells (cheaper ones)

Bike Setup:   Univega Alpina 500 with SPD pedals

Submitted by Jason Dreimanis a Weekend Warrior from Adelaide, SA, Australia

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2002

Strengths:    - Excellent air flow
- I like the visor
- Good adjustability

Weaknesses:    - Woudl be nice if the back didn't have exposed foam

Bottom Line:
I really like this helmet from the point that it fits well in its price bracket and then some. It always provides good ventilation (a must in Australia), and although I have seen some riders who don't like the visor, I feel it shades my face well (and us Aussies need our shade in summer).

I also have had the misfortune to actually be able to test its crash worthiness on a couple of occasions, and it does its job well. The extra adjustability also helps in this respect, since you can fit it right without any discomfort.

Favorite Trail:   Narrow Neck - Blue Mountains

Purchased At:   Super Elliots - Adelaide

Submitted by RJ Litton a Weekend Warrior from Pasadena

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2002

Strengths:    Light, good ventilation, good price, basically does the job.

Weaknesses:    None I can identify

Bottom Line:
I took a nice little spill on some cement steps. I was goofing around and did a stupid little bunny hop over a curb with two small steps just behind it. As my back tire came up, my front tire hit the stair causing my front shocks to retract all the way down. I went right over the handlebars, bounced off my melon, and flipped over on the walkway. Beauty eh! The only damage was my ego. I probably would have been seriously hurt if it had not been for this helmet. WEAR ONE!

Favorite Trail:   San Gabriel (JPL Area)

Purchased At:   Bikeology (Torrence, CA)

Similar Products Used:   N/A

Bike Setup:   Modified GT Aggressor II

Submitted by nut a Weekend Warrior from denver, co

Date Reviewed: February 22, 2002

Strengths:    good fit, does what it's supposed to do for a good price

Bottom Line:
after breaking my shoulder bombing down a certain hill, my head remained in tact, and wouldn't have if it was not for this helmet. i'm sure any other helmet would have done the same job, but this is the one that was on my head, and still is.

Purchased At:   bicycle werx

Bike Setup:   specialized stumpjumper

Submitted by Aaron a Cross Country Rider from Edmonton

Date Reviewed: February 2, 2002

Strengths:    Great fit, don't notice it's there!

Weaknesses:    What's this mean

Bottom Line:
This Lid Rocks! Buy One! Would Rate it Higher if I could, gets Five Flaming Hot Dogs

Favorite Trail:   Ewok's Forest

Purchased At:   United Cycle

Bike Setup:   Univega 5.05, SUN 0 Degree XC laced to Atak custom HUBs, XTR V Brakes, TIME ATAC pedals, Kore Elite bar, Manitou XC fork

Submitted by Brad a Cross Country Rider from Guelph, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: January 1, 2002

Strengths:    IT STILL WORKS!

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
I still love this helmet - I'm on my fourth one now. In November I crashed again, broke my collar bone and my third Paradox. I'd hate to think what my head would have looked like without it!

I'm glad that the visor breaks away as easily as it does. Helmet #2 was done in by a full force face plant. I think the break-away visor helped to absorb some of the impact.

I'm obviously very hard on my helmets, and it is very comforting to know that the next time I crash my head into something I should come out okay because the Paradox works so well. Hard to beat this for CDN$50.

Similar Products Used:   None.

Bike Setup:   Fisher Paragon 2001 Disc

Submitted by derek a Cross Country Rider from WA

Date Reviewed: September 27, 2001

Strengths:    Light, ooks good.

Weaknesses:    Visor breaks off easy

Bottom Line:
AWSOME!!!!

Favorite Trail:   Tiger Mountain

Similar Products Used:   Bell Pro tech

Bike Setup:   Jamis Durango

Submitted by Barbara West a Cross Country Rider from San Jose, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: August 31, 2001

Strengths:    Great fit for my small head. Lightweight. Extremely tough! Good protection in a crash

Weaknesses:    The visor blocks vision on downhills, which is just when you need your vision most!

Bottom Line:
I had the chance to experience this helmet's worthiness yesterday in a pretty major crash. After hitting a nasty rut, I slid downhill and my head bounced against rock very, very hard. My helmet cracked almost all the way through, but it protected my head from any damage. I have a fairly nasty headache, but I don't even see a bump on my noggin! I would definitely buy this product again.