Bell Image Pro Older Helmets

Weight : 11 oz MSRP : $64.99

Bell Image Pro Helmet

Submitted by TienShan a Weekend Warrior from Los Gatos, CA

Date Reviewed: August 1, 2009

Strengths:    The helmet looks nice and it provides good protection. I had an air borne one time and there was direct impact on the side of my head.

Weaknesses:    It's very difficult to adjust to get a really good fit.

Bottom Line:
It does what a helmet is supposed to do - protection. It did save my head one time. However the adjustment system is not very well designed. Recently I am shopping for a new helmet and got the chance to try Uvex Magnum helmet. I have heard Uvex in protection goggle and ski goggle but never seen a Uvex bicycle helmet around. I am really impressed with the design. Its adjustment system is so easy to use and provides a perfect fit. Uvex helmets are really well designed and manufactures. I am really happy that I got Uvex helmets.

Favorite Trail:   Skeggs Point

Purchased At:   Performance Bike

Similar Products Used:   Specialized ? ( a very dorky looking helmet)

Bike Setup:   Dean Colonel, Dean TI bar, Dean TI post, Titect TI stem, Shimano XT drive train and Manitou Mars Elite

Submitted by Eric A a Cross Country Rider from Sioux Falls SD

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2001

Strengths:    Good Fit
Low Cost

Weaknesses:    Little Heavy
Ventilation could be better
Rear retention devise could be better

Bottom Line:
For the money this is a very solid helmet. It's a little heavy and the vents could be bigger and place alittle better. When it's more than 85 degrees out I did get hot in it fairly fast . The rear divise to make it more snug dug into my neck alittle and I was never able to get it to fit perfectly . It is a very solid helmet for the price.

Favorite Trail:   Old Baldy

Similar Products Used:   Dyno
Giro Terramoto

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Jekyll 300 Sx

Submitted by Leo a Cross Country Rider from Santa Barbara, Ca, US

Date Reviewed: December 24, 2000

Strengths:    Did the job in protecting my head in a hard downhill crash. Adjustability and snug fit, but it took me a while to figure it out since I had no manual telling me how to do it.

Weaknesses:    A bit too hot sometimes since the vents are small.

Bottom Line:
I got the helmet for $25 out of the box. It took me a while to adjust it to my liking. I'm glad that I took the time to properly adjust the helmet and figured it out in time for my crash. Too bad I didn't have knee and elbow pads since those parts got bruised up good without any protection.
For $25 it was a steal. Of course, I was wondering why were there some yellow marks written on the inside of the helmet? There was a sticker that said that it was made on Feb. '98 or something. Hopefully it was checked for quality control or something and passed. Yup, looks like it passed all right since my head is intact and got a sore neck and a broken helmet. The helmet cracked all the way across on the lower right side during the crash. And I was just beginning to like it too. Oh, well.
So, the moral of the story is to make sure you are wearing your helmet the right way or else it doesn't matter how much or what brand your helmet is. Oh, yeah and Bell has a helmet replacement policy too. I guess I should try it.

Purchased At:   Supergo

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Air Wave.

Bike Setup:   Voodoo hardtail.

Submitted by David Iriguchi a Cross Country Rider from Carmichael, CA

Date Reviewed: November 9, 2000

Strengths:    Does what a helmet should. Pretty light. Lots of vents.

Weaknesses:    The side adjustment buckles. Ridiculously uncomfortable.

Bottom Line:
The side adjustment buckles on the straps are very, very poor. They are designed with curved sides that I guess are supposed to fit your fingers when you are adjusting them, but they have sharply pointed corners which dig into your jaw and behind your ears. I will never buy a Bell helmet again with these buckles. The engineer who designed them should be required to wear a helmet with these medieval torture buckles, every day, all day long while he/she works. Then they would rethink the wisdom of putting sharply pointed pieces of plastic on their helmet straps. What were they thinking?!?

I have no complaints about the helmet itself. It's cool. Other than the straps, it fits well. Luckily I've never tested its protection factor but it has all the usual approval stickers. But don't get one or any other Bell until they change the buckles. I eventually had to tape over the buckles on mine which looks stupid but it at least makes the straps tolerable. I guess its probably another case of the people designing it not having to use their own product because if they did it wouldn't be designed this way.

Favorite Trail:   Salmon Falls

Similar Products Used:   Other Bell Helmets.

Bike Setup:   C'dale hardtail

Submitted by Juan a Weekend Warrior from Melbourne, Australia

Date Reviewed: August 31, 2000

Strengths:    looks cool, it saved my cranium
Bell's new for old deal rocks

Weaknesses:    a bit hot, pads and straps are way better in the '99 than in the '97, but could still be bettered. visor comes loose easily

Bottom Line:
It saved my ass riding on bitumen to work. A f*%#ng delivery van swerved right in front of me just at a moment when my left hand was busy fishing something out of my bag. Only being able to slam on the front brake, I supermanned off at about 40kph, bounced off my head and landed on my ass. The helmet was stuffed but my head remained intact. I kissed the busted helmet and thanked my lucky stars. This helmet took my whole weight at a good speed and I came off well. Unfortunately the accident made mincemeat of my saddle, grip, pedal and back rim.

Buy this helmet if you care about your head, it definitely works. It's not as light and airy as some, but I can't justify paying $250 AUD for high end models because you're going to sweat anyway. The '99 is a great improvement on the '97; but the straps are still a bit hard to adjust, and the visor still comes loose. I'll have to drop one point on value for this.

An excellent General purpose helmet, on and off road.
5 flamin ox tongues.

Favorite Trail:   the escalators at melb. central hehehe

Purchased At:   Cecil Walker Melbourne

Similar Products Used:   cheaper crap I used too long ago to remember the name of

Bike Setup:   norco nitro 00 Z4's LX/XT azonic shorty blah blah

Submitted by MiGuEl a Cross Country Rider from Farmington, MI USA

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2000

Strengths:    Looks & weight.

Weaknesses:    Visor is too low, retention system rests on the kneck and not the base of the nogin.

Bottom Line:
It's a good looking helmet with good padding, but the visor is too low possibly causing a serious accident. The retention system has two grey pads attached to a piece of stretch material, those pads are set too far down causing them to rest on the neck instead of the base of the nogin. Those pads can be adjusted further down but there too far down already when they are set as high as they will go. My wife used it only a couple times and she absolutely hated it, I used it a few times and couldn't ride with it again. It's now used as a guest helmet and so far the couple people who have used it had a heck of a time because of the low mounted visor. I believe Bell has fixed this on the new 2000 Image Pro helmets.

Favorite Trail:   Potowatomi

Similar Products Used:   Gyro, Specialized

Bike Setup:   Homegrown Pro w/Z2.XFly

Submitted by joe a Cross Country Rider from portland, maine, usa

Date Reviewed: June 28, 2000

Strengths:    cheap, good rentention

Weaknesses:    heavy, no airflow

Bottom Line:
This helmet is good for the price and the retention system is the same as on all of Bell's high-end helmets. but its heavy and extemely hot!

Similar Products Used:   lots

Bike Setup:   this is a HELMET review

Submitted by Jody a Weekend Warrior from Minneapolis, Minn.

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2000

Strengths:    Looks good. Good customer service.

Weaknesses:    Hot. Hard to adjust. Pads flatten out and straps stretch with use.
Also strap is quite thin and can cut into your chin.

Bottom Line:
This isn't sold anymore, and it looks as if new Image 2000 may solve some of the problems with this helmet.
The worst thing: it's really hot. Vents are relatively small and don't circulate air well. I also had problems with the pad compressing but called Bell and they sent a whole new set right away and at no charge.

If you buy the Bell Image 2000, make sure it's solved these problems.

Similar Products Used:   older Bell helmets

Bike Setup:   road, mtb, commuter

Submitted by map a Weekend Warrior from pittsburgh, PA

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2000

Strengths:    Still seeking...

Weaknesses:    Shoddy construction and appearance

Bottom Line:
This is the first Bell I tried, and so far it has continuously reinforced my inclination to stay off Bells in the future. The visor broke and came off in my hand the first day, and I thought what the heck, I never use it anyway! A couple of weeks later, the strap system started emitting highly annoying and distracting squeaks and squeals while I rode.
When I mentioned these two points to Pricepoint (from whom I bought it for $30) I received a reply stating that it was my fault for not reading the small print on their return policy in time. I agree with the legal aspect, but not with the ethical aspect :( As for the squeaks, according to them that is a problem with all helmets! Seems there is a way to solve it, but they omitted to tell me what it was.
Apart from these, the helmet per se fits and feels pretty good, so I am wondering whether to stick with it for some time.
The bottom line? If you are willing to take the risk of getting a bad piece, go for it at that price, maybe you will get lucky. Not a penny more...and be sure to return it in time!

Bike Setup:   Schwinn Moab3 stock (so far)

Submitted by Jeremy . a Cross Country Rider from Brisbane, QLD, Australia

Date Reviewed: May 20, 2000

Strengths:    pretty comfortable, it adjusts pretty easyily and fits my head very well

Weaknesses:    the pads are pretty poor for a helmet of this price, and i seem to find like everyone else that this helmet gets a bit sweaty when it's hot.

Bottom Line:
overall i think that this helmet is worth all the money you have to pay to get it.

Favorite Trail:   Blackstone

Similar Products Used:   Giro

Submitted by Bobby from Middlebury, CT

Date Reviewed: April 8, 2000

Bottom Line:
This is a great helmet for the price. It's small and adjusts really easy. The only beefs i have are that
1) One of the pads didn't stay glued on and that messed up the whole retension system in the back but it can easily be glued back on with epoxy.
2) It rides a little too low in front. It doesn't effect your vision at all but if you are wearing sunglasses, the helmet pushes them down and your nose starts to hurt after a while.
3) The helmet looks great but its not symetrical. There is a middle vent on top and instead of being an oval, it is like cockeyed. But it doesn't hinder the performance. Its lightweight and comfortable. i give it 4 flaming...um...thingamabobs.

Similar Products Used:   Tsunami, Forza II

Submitted by Andy F a Weekend Warrior from Chicago, Illinois

Date Reviewed: February 16, 2000

Strengths:    Great feel and durability.

Weaknesses:    Pads could be a bit better. I paid full price for my helmet...it's great, but it's not cheap. It seems a bit warm.

Bottom Line:
To incorporate others comments, I don't have trouble at all with the straps or the helmet moving. Once you figure out how to use the velcro it really isn't that hard : ). I noticed some other posts that said it was quite hot inside the helmet even on hot days. I have the same experience...very warm temperatures, perhaps that means the ventilation could be better. Overall a great helmet.

Similar Products Used:   Trek & Specalized

Submitted by Russell Seaton a Weekend Warrior from Kansas City

Date Reviewed: February 10, 2000

Strengths:    Fits my head. Solid red color, my favorite. Has a visor.

Weaknesses:    Rear retaining strap is velcro. It comes loose all of the time. Its easy to resize it but it does not hold its shape. I wear my helmet tight and use a headband. Straps are narrow, 1/2" or so.

Bottom Line:
This helmet fits my head shape. As another mentioned, it fits narrow heads that are longer front to back. Wide round heads it would not fit. You have to try on helmets to tell if they are molded to fit your head. I tried a Specialized helmst years ago and it was not molded correctly so I have never considered a Specialized helmet. The rear strap system always comes loose. Have to redo those straps every time I put the helmet back on. Some of the velcro pads inside the helmet to hold the rear strap pulled loose and I had to glue them back down. Helmet sits right above my eyebrows shich is good because your forehead needs protection. Straps on side to buckle under chin are very narrow. Dig into the skin if the helmet is properly tightened. When this helmet gets a bit older I will replace it with a helmet with a retaining system which does not use velcro. Cratoni has one now I believe. I'm tired of readjusting my helmet every time I put it on. Paid $50 or so 2-3 years ago mail order. Good enough price. Never crashed so can't comment on its true functionality.

Favorite Trail:   Paved roads

Similar Products Used:   Older Bell Image.

Submitted by Joe a Cross-Country Rider from Washington, PA

Date Reviewed: December 10, 1999

Strengths:
Good fit for a Charlie Brown head like mine. Good ventilation. Cool silver and white metallic (that is what it is all about anyway isn't it?)

Weaknesses:
Tends to slide over your eyebrows. The visor was cheap and broke off after an easy fall. The size strap at the back is inpossible to get to the right size and it constantly comes loose

Bottom Line:
I abuse things and I got my $39.99 out of it. I am a little peaved about the visor. It was just poorly made. Other than that I can't say it was that bad. Protects your grey matter like it's supposed too. I have to give it 4 fired up chili's

GW national forest

1 Year

old giro air attack sc with a ghetto velcro on visor

Gary Fisher Paragon with a marocchi z1 alloy and XT...517s...
Diamondback voyager III w/manitou and stxrc

Submitted by Geoff P. Ovens a Cross-Country Rider from Raleigh, NC

Date Reviewed: October 6, 1999

Strengths:
Price, color, fit

Weaknesses:
none found yet

Bottom Line:
Excellant helmet, reputable manufacturer, good price (99 model for 49.99 from performance) color just about matches cannondale team blue.

any that are open!!!

less than 1 month

Specialized air speed, Giro gila

Cannondale F800 Y2K stock (so far)

plz post image of TIOGA MX PRO PEDAL on bike please?

i find images of this pedal on the net but i was hoping to find an image of a bicyle with this pedal on? i was also hoping if someone could send me the dimensions of this pedal please? i email tioga but they are taking forever in emailing me back. PS> MODS i did not find a FORUM for pedals. ... Read More »